State of the Stock Market

DarterBlue

8 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

@DBP66 Look at the chart above? HOW CAN THIS BE WITH A POTUS THATS SO SENILE AND EVIL???? 

During the election 370 "economists" said DJT would be a dangerous, destructive choice for President, including eight Nobel laureates!!! LOL #posers

All of them, including you are laughing stocks now!! Get used to it. #thewillofthepeoplewon

your arms don't hurt you from constantly grasping for straws??...it's a forecast....that's all...and does it reflect the effects his tariffs are having on our economy??...NO...and why is always about $$ with you??...how about Paulie Walnuts trying to work out a plea deal with team Mulluer!!..;)..#thewallsareclosingin

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

@DBP66 Look at the chart above? HOW CAN THIS BE WITH A POTUS THATS SO SENILE AND EVIL???? 

During the election 370 "economists" said DJT would be a dangerous, destructive choice for President, including eight Nobel laureates!!! LOL #posers

All of them, including you are laughing stocks now!! Get used to it. #thewillofthepeoplewon

Hows the 401k gotta be up like 20-30%

On 8/27/2018 at 1:00 PM, Troll said:

LOL....

giphy.gif

You might think a new purchase 'doesn't settle for three days' so the money from the previous sale will be there by then etc...does not fly most of the time...

But check with your brokerage on settlements and timing if you needed to make a trade, and were worried what cleared settlement, they can sometimes assist.  

Funny part was when they 'broke' the trade for me, the stock purchased had dipped, so the day that trade was broke I picked up 3K in the same position (broke trade $ in account immediately for purchase LOL) …..thanks for the warning 😎

Regulation T is such bs.  Us little guys get over regulated, but High Frequency Trading platforms can make tens of thousands of skim trades and don't have no issues with this bs.

Also, Chinese trading firms are popping up like crazy and they don't have to worry about this bs either.  Here is a nice read about it.  https://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/10/business/global/10daytrade.html

Maybe I should go to China and set up a small firm there and day trade to my hearts content.  Maybe, even hire a  few smart Chinese college grads to help out, and make a killing.

Our Congress is inept.  They are the real trolls.

On 8/25/2018 at 9:18 PM, DarterBlue said:

Since I resumed trading after a two year hiatus, I have avoided those issues by never being more than 40% invested at any stage since January 29. While, I have to admit that Friday's action was good for the bullish case, I can't help but feel strongly that we are going to have significant weakness before the year's close. Of course one should never let feelings override objective events. And right now the market is acting in a bullish fashion. For that reason, I will hold my current three positions, one of which, CRM, reports after the bell Wednesday.

The Ganja stock CRON did go crazy, as did others in that space. Of course a pullback will come at some stage, but it's nice to ride a parabolic move like that.  

Bought 300 shares of LULU at 136.03 this morning.  If it goes up quite a bit tomorrow before earnings, then I may sell it before the report.  If not, I may hold it and take my chances.  They surprised the last few earnings, so hopefully the trend continues.

Also dumped CGC yesterday morning.  So, when it comes to cannabis stock; I am drug free.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, ohio said:

Bought 300 shares of LULU at 136.03 this morning.  If it goes up quite a bit tomorrow before earnings, then I may sell it before the report.  If not, I may hold it and take my chances.  They surprised the last few earnings, so hopefully the trend continues.

Also dumped CGC yesterday morning.  So, when it comes to cannabis stock; I am drug free.

Indeed!

On a serious note, LULU is a very strong stock. No lemon there, LOL. If the market remains strong, then it should be a leader. I have made money eight days in a row. But that streak is in jeopardy as CRM traded down despite beating by 23 cents. Analysts did not like the forward guidance. I have a decent profit in this one, so I have a decision to make tomorrow. 

I actually have a buy stop in place on a very thinly traded stock MPX, which was owned by another poster on this board. Not where i usually fish as it is way too thin. However, I feel that if and when it gets through 20.50 it probably has a 30% pop from there. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

Indeed!

On a serious note, LULU is a very strong stock. No lemon there, LOL. If the market remains strong, then it should be a leader. I have made money eight days in a row. But that streak is in jeopardy as CRM traded down despite beating by 23 cents. Analysts did not like the forward guidance. I have a decent profit in this one, so I have a decision to make tomorrow. 

I actually have a buy stop in place on a very thinly traded stock MPX, which was owned by another poster on this board. Not where i usually fish as it is way too thin. However, I feel that if and when it gets through 20.50 it probably has a 30% pop from there. 

LULU is down for the day.  Even below what I bought it for.  Hopefully it's not a lemon.  We'll see what happens this evening. Might have to dump it after hours.

It sucks when a stock beats estimates and mgmt. negates it by lowering guidance, even though it helps them get lower estimates for the next quarter.  Hopefully CMR will rebound.  MPX has been on a tear and still has room to go higher.

4 hours ago, ohio said:

LULU is down for the day.  Even below what I bought it for.  Hopefully it's not a lemon.  We'll see what happens this evening. Might have to dump it after hours.

It sucks when a stock beats estimates and mgmt. negates it by lowering guidance, even though it helps them get lower estimates for the next quarter.  Hopefully CMR will rebound.  MPX has been on a tear and still has room to go higher.

Often the best policy management could employ is to let the numbers speak for themselves and not give a whole lot of guidance one way or the other going forward, unless of course, there really is material change they are aware of, positive or negative, in which case both legally and ethically, they have an obligation to disclose it. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

Often the best policy management could employ is to let the numbers speak for themselves and not give a whole lot of guidance one way or the other going forward, unless of course, there really is material change they are aware of, positive or negative, in which case both legally and ethically, they have an obligation to disclose it. 

Your CMR is holding its ground.  Has upward potential.  MPX is slowly going up like a train ascending a hill.

Sold  LULU at 157.79, was afraid they would go down like WMT did after earnings beat.  Could be a mistake, plus I want to enjoy the weekend without worrying about it.

This coming week I will look at (CGC, CRON, weakening plus double top?) ( APH, TLRY still going strong).  Would like to buy these again if they dip.  Also, will be looking at the VIX to see if there is any volatility.

Might watch earnings for PLAY, RH, WDAY, VRNT, PANW, NAV, DVMT, and maybe a few others. 

Any plans for next week?

On 8/20/2018 at 3:51 AM, DarterBlue said:

Of your list, ETSY and CSCO would appeal to me most. TTD is also a very powerful stock and would bear watching. I would not touch WMT and am neutral on the others..

BABA may bounce, but it has also completely broken down. It reports earnings later this week and could well bounce big time on the report. I parted ways with it because the loss in it had exceeded my threshold. I think the bear market in Chinese stocks (Shanghai index is down more than 23% from its peak) and the trade tensions with China have negatively affected it. 

You called it on WMT.  I bought it before earnings because Jim Cramer was really bullish on it. He was claiming it was ready for a breakout.  Figured he knew something.  But it just kept going down after earnings.

On 8/22/2018 at 9:02 PM, BigDrop said:

I owned CSCO when it was $81.00 a share....in 2001 or so.  I also owned GE at $50.00.  Today both are a fraction of one to two decades ago.

Today you can get 3.47% on a five year FDIC insured CD (3.6% with reinvesting dividends).  You may suffer with inflation but you will get back what you put in + interest.  There are ten year bonds (I.e. VZ, Starbucks, Capital One) that are now paying more than 4%.  

I believe you should focus on your career and whatever you save, at least guarantee you’ll get back what you put in.

For myself it upsets me more to lose money than It pleasures me to make it.  The result is that for my entire life I have tried to protect that which I have earned.

Be careful.

CSCO is making a good rebound from the beginning for the past few years, but could pull back in the short term

GE hasn't done much since Jack Welch stepped down.  Immelt screw up this wonderful company, and should have stepped down.  Totally incompetent CEO.  Flannery is trying to stop the bleeding, but has a long way to go.  GE just has too much debt, and still has not found a way to fix it.

Thanks for the info about CD rates and the corporate bonds.  As I start getting older, I will decrease my stock equity, and go more into cash, CDs, and various bonds.  Might even get an annuity.  We'll see.

Again, thanks.

Be careful of annuities-they are betting on your life expectancy.

The market:  forgive me (please!!!) but I believe it really depends on what you think of Trump.  Without any more bs (again, I am sorry) I am out.  I am not optimistic.  I do understand that someone who believes in the six time bankrupt Donald Trump will feel different and will stay in.

I’ve said enough and again apologize for preferring bonds and CD’s in the age of Donald.

Just now, HSFBfan said:

I dont have a 401k....I had a stock sold it and made money

Fair enough.  Since, you are still young, you may want to consider dollar cost averaging into an S&P 500 no load mutual fund, especially if the market has a strong pull back.  The two bottom charts show that even if pullbacks happen (generally they fall fast, and then slowly start climbing back) they always have rebounded.  Due to your age, you still have a 30 to 40 window of opportunity, and the DOW or S&P 500 never had a 40 year period where they didn't rebound from a major drop, even if you bought it at the top, even during Black Monday of 1929 you still were up by 1960.  And if you were able to dollar cost average back then, you would have been up a lot.

Image result for dow jones since since great depression

Image result for sp 500 chart

1 minute ago, ohio said:

Fair enough.  Since, you are still young, you may want to consider dollar cost averaging into an S&P 500 no load mutual fund, especially if the market has a strong pull back.  The two bottom charts show that even if pullbacks happen (generally they fall fast, and then slowly start climbing back) they always have rebounded.  Due to your age, you still have a 30 to 40 window of opportunity, and the DOW or S&P 500 never had a 40 year period where they didn't rebound from a major drop, even if you bought it at the top, even during Black Monday of 1929 you still were up by 1960.  And if you were able to dollar cost average back then, you would have been up a lot.

Image result for dow jones since since great depression

Image result for sp 500 chart

No thanks after experiencing wall street and having the stock it's not for me. It's too slow of growth

23 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

Be careful of annuities-they are betting on your life expectancy.

The market:  forgive me (please!!!) but I believe it really depends on what you think of Trump.  Without any more bs (again, I am sorry) I am out.  I am not optimistic.  I do understand that someone who believes in the six time bankrupt Donald Trump will feel different and will stay in.

I’ve said enough and again apologize for preferring bonds and CD’s in the age of Donald.

Sir, no need to apologize for anything. You seem to be an astute investor and are doing what is best for you. The markets are overbought anyway, and Trump may just be the one to put a dagger in the equities markets.  In January and early February of this year, I shorted the markets through ETF shorts/bears, and actually made a good profit.  If I see volatility in the near future, I will probably short them again.

Thanks

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ohio said:

Sold  LULU at 157.79, was afraid they would go down like WMT did after earnings beat.  Could be a mistake, plus I want to enjoy the weekend without worrying about it.

Not sure I would have sold it. You may want t consider repurchase if it pulls back in an orderly manner. If the market remains strong, LULU will probably be among the leaders. The really big money is finding a few 100%ters if you have the patience and fortitude to hold for six months or so to the completion of its run or a new consolidation.