Retaliation. Marietta Families suing the GHSA.

I don’t think the kids should be punished over the error but I guess that’s me. 

A point for you is there was a kid and family that was trying to beat the system.  Marietta didn’t even give them a chance to get right. Dismissed him from the school for good. No one I screaming about that kid and he is a true STUD.

Point is if you know you are doing wrong how can you be mad and fight if you did the crime

The families with the lawyers was blowed away when this happened. Their stance is punish the school not their children.

58 minutes ago, OLB76 said:

I don’t think the kids should be punished over the error but I guess that’s me. 

A point for you is there was a kid and family that was trying to beat the system.  Marietta didn’t even give them a chance to get right. Dismissed him from the school for good. No one I screaming about that kid and he is a true STUD.

Point is if you know you are doing wrong how can you be mad and fight if you did the crime

The families with the lawyers was blowed away when this happened. Their stance is punish the school not their children.

What you seem to be missing in all of this is the fact the GHSA would open a can of worms and provide a loop hole for others to exploit.

It's unfortunate for the kids, yes. However, they shouldn't be given a free pass.

Make sense?

3 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

What you seem to be missing in all of this is the fact the GHSA would open a can of worms and provide a loop hole for others to exploit.

It's unfortunate for the kids, yes. However, they shouldn't be given a free pass.

Make sense?

This is my stance also. I don't see how they can allow them to play at Marietta if they don't do what it takes to become eligible to play there. 

Not sure about hardship stuff and how that all works, but, obviously that isn't an option.

Just now, FootballGuy said:

Allow me to play devil's advocate right here:

I have respect for both of y'all @HawgGoneIt@CCBlackhatter, but let's just say if Colquitt was in the same predicament as grayson and marietta (pertaining to the whole high profile transfer situation), would there be any complaints then? 

I would have the same mentality all the time. 

Follow the rules if you are the school. Enforce the rules evenly if you are the GHSA. 

I get that some people don't like the rules as they are. Hell I don't like a lot of them myself. There just can't be exceptions for certain people or schools. There doesn't even need to be an appearance of exceptions. 

That's my stance no matter the number of transfers my school gets. 

• Like 1

So what I got from the Article was because the mother worked at the Elementary school instead of the High school then her son is "ineligible?"  Even though they were told as long as the mother worked in the district that the son would be eligible?

Then the parents should be going after MHS not GHSA, right?  I mean...I understand them going after GHSA also...but this sounds like miscommunication (wrong infornation relayed) if anything.

Or am I missing something?

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Frosty4024 said:

So what I got from the Article was because the mother worked at the Elementary school instead of the High school then her son is "ineligible?"  Even though they were told as long as the mother worked in the district that the son would be eligible?

Then the parents should be going after MHS not GHSA, right?  I mean...I understand them going after GHSA also...but this sounds like miscommunication (wrong infornation relayed) if anything.

Or am I missing something?

You are right as I read it. 

Suing the GHSA for enforcing their rules is ludicrous. 

What the goal appears to be is force the GHSA to allow the kid to ignore the rule because the school screwed up.

I don't see how you can do that. Period. It's a silly and frivolous suit imo. 

Now, if they're suing for a rule change on that specific rule for everyone, then by all means have at it. The kid is still going to have to play at his home district school if he's going to play varsity sports this season. Legal actions like that take more than 2 weeks and the season starts on the 17th.

2 minutes ago, Ararar said:

This is the type stuff that was happening in SoCal and why the CIF was getting taken to court by not only parents but the schools as well.After a while it became cost prohibitive and is a reason why there is now a “transfer season “ here

If the GHSA is wishy washy about the rules then the schools should take them to court. 

If the school is wishy washy then the parents should sue the school. The GHSA is there, supposedly, to make sure all the schools follow the rules. 

If they leave an opening to look like they made an exception once, then, that's what causes the stir. 

30 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

If the GHSA is wishy washy about the rules then the schools should take them to court. 

If the school is wishy washy then the parents should sue the school. The GHSA is there, supposedly, to make sure all the schools follow the rules. 

If they leave an opening to look like they made an exception once, then, that's what causes the stir. 

Oh I get your perspective.I also understand that the parents feel cheated by the system.If this goes to court and the parents win then what? 

57 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

You are right as I read it. 

Suing the GHSA for enforcing their rules is ludicrous. 

What the goal appears to be is force the GHSA to allow the kid to ignore the rule because the school screwed up.

I don't see how you can do that. Period. It's a silly and frivolous suit imo. 

Now, if they're suing for a rule change on that specific rule for everyone, then by all means have at it. The kid is still going to have to play at his home district school if he's going to play varsity sports this season. Legal actions like that take more than 2 weeks and the season starts on the 17th.

See the parents aren’t going after GHSA!!!! It’s the boys down south that keep saying that. The parents was told by MHS’s Superintendent that they thought that to be the rule and was at fault! They have pages of emails of correspondence stating so. So if this appeal don’t work they are coming for the people they feel is responsible for this error. 

You see folks make mistakes but it shouldn't cost our youth. One of the parents told me he understands the rule now and if he was afforded the opportunity then he would have made right!

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

If they reinstate the wins and allow the kid to play outside of his home district, they have to toss the rule book for everyone starting last year. 

Lets do some hypothetical Q&A because I don’t know.

This is what I see in the rule book. You can only be a mirgrant student for the first school year if you live out of district. If that’s the case this is the second year for both students so technically they aren’t mirgrants. So if you say back up and make them mirgrants show me where it states that is the punishment? If you are like me and GHSA they just backed up and punished students the next year. 

So it leads to this if that’s the case why are you punishing the child and his family for not knowing the by-laws?  Ok understand the school is at fault so give them what ever you like!

I don’t know! Just trying get your opinions

38 minutes ago, OLB76 said:

See the parents aren’t going after GHSA!!!! It’s the boys down south that keep saying that. The parents was told by MHS’s Superintendent that they thought that to be the rule and was at fault! They have pages of emails of correspondence stating so. So if this appeal don’t work they are coming for the people they feel is responsible for this error. 

You see folks make mistakes but it shouldn't cost our youth. One of the parents told me he understands the rule now and if he was afforded the opportunity then he would have made right!

Lets do some hypothetical Q&A because I don’t know.

This is what I see in the rule book. You can only be a mirgrant student for the first school year if you live out of district. If that’s the case this is the second year for both students so technically they aren’t mirgrants. So if you say back up and make them mirgrants show me where it states that is the punishment? If you are like me and GHSA they just backed up and punished students the next year. 

So it leads to this if that’s the case why are you punishing the child and his family for not knowing the by-laws?  Ok understand the school is at fault so give them what ever you like!

I don’t know! Just trying get your opinions

They can't play varsity at Marietta if they don't live in the school district. They'll never be eligible to play varsity ball there unless they move in. That's the way I read the rule. Pretty sure that's how it's always been applied as well. 

I don't think any lawsuit will fix that this season either. 

If Marietta chooses to play them again this year, I assume the end result of forfeiting their wins will happen again. 

I fail to understand how the kid is being punished. If I understand correctly, they are perfectly eligible to play varsity ball at their home school. If they were deemed ineligible to participate in varsity sports at all, that would be punishing the kid. 

Ignorance is no excuse under the law is the saying that comes to mind as well.

3 hours ago, FootballGuy said:

Allow me to play devil's advocate right here:

I have respect for both of y'all @HawgGoneIt@CCBlackhatter, but let's just say if Colquitt was in the same predicament as grayson and marietta (pertaining to the whole high profile transfer situation), would there be any complaints then? 

Well....you didn't mention me...but that's never stopped me from giving my opine.

My stance would be simple.  Change the frigging rule...BUT...until it's changed...the rule is the rule and should be enforced EQUALLY amongst all schools.  

The GHSA has several rules and regulations that I abhor.  But like it was explained to me...the "G" stands for Gwinnett and not Georgia.  I blame Grayson.

Rufus>>

26 minutes ago, Rufus69 said:

Well....you didn't mention me...but that's never stopped me from giving my opine.

My stance would be simple.  Change the frigging rule...BUT...until it's changed...the rule is the rule and should be enforced EQUALLY amongst all schools.  

The GHSA has several rules and regulations that I abhor.  But like it was explained to me...the "G" stands for Gwinnett and not Georgia.  I blame Grayson.

Rufus>>

Definitely Gwinnett officials on the pass interference, no blood drawn on that play and so what the ball was in the air, just an insignificant detail. 

And the 12 men...I mean, really? Gotta be a conspiratorial event. 

Regards,

BGW

2 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

They can't play varsity at Marietta if they don't live in the school district. They'll never be eligible to play varsity ball there unless they move in. That's the way I read the rule. Pretty sure that's how it's always been applied as well. 

I don't think any lawsuit will fix that this season either. 

If Marietta chooses to play them again this year, I assume the end result of forfeiting their wins will happen again. 

I fail to understand how the kid is being punished. If I understand correctly, they are perfectly eligible to play varsity ball at their home school. If they were deemed ineligible to participate in varsity sports at all, that would be punishing the kid. 

Ignorance is no excuse under the law is the saying that comes to mind as well.

You are wrong we are an open enrollment school so they will be eligible after the first year as a mirgrant student. You don’t have to live in district! Touch up on those rules my friend!😉

• Like 1

19 hours ago, OLB76 said:

First of all the parents wanted out of the School systems they where in and was looking to teach elsewhere! That’s their right! Know one promised them anything.  It was relayed to them if you are working for MCS your kids could attend without paying tuition and can take advantage of The IB program, Duel enrollment programs and any sport they chose to play. Just like any other student that goes to Marietta.

Spin it however you want to. I am sorry your school has to spend millions of tax payers dollars on a football facility. While our tax payers pay millions for a state of the art Career academic center. See the two students are Real STUDENT ATHLETES that carry close to 4.0 GPAs and are currently taking college corses at Marietta High School. Which they couldn’t get at the previous school! They are both set to graduate mid semester of senior year! Which couldn’t happen at their other schools!!!!!!

So you say let them go to school at Marietta and play football where they live?

STOP IT YOU GUYS HAVE TUNNEL VISION!! You want something to be their but it’s not. By the way who said Marietta is stacked? Man if we had half the transfers the Rumor Mill said we would be!

Now that's pure gospel right there!!!!

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I say they have to go to school where they live if they want to play sports. It's written in the rules. 

They have the choice to play football if they do it in their home district. Last time I checked the rules say that is how it works. I'm sorry they thought otherwise. 

I really don't care if they play football in Marietta and drive to Rome to go to class... As long as the rules are written that way and the option is available to everyone.

Good for them having 4.0 gpa's and what not. Should make for easier reading comprehension of the rules applicable to their situation. Since they have such great scores, maybe they can also read the rules to their parents and help them to understand the rules as written also. xD 

I just can't understand why in the hell it's so damned hard to follow the rules, or understand them. 

I don't want anything to be there except equal handed application of the rules with no exceptions because some parent got a lawyer and wants to shit on the rules that everyone else is following without much problem at all. 

Ok, now that was funny!!