Very big election in Ohio tonight

HSFBfan

10 minutes ago, Bormio said:

Good luck with that.  Democrats in the rest of the country are different than southern Democrats.

Yeah, this is true. 

It may be time that a southern Democrat takes the lead though. 

I think it's ok to be conservative in some aspects. Democrats have to welcome the disenfranchised moderate republicans and build a new coalition.

I'm sure that will leave a bad taste in the mouth of some democrats, but the opportunity is there. 

Gotta sieze it.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, concha said:

I just saw a stat that Dem turnout in the Ohio special election was 87% of 2016 turnout while Republican was at only 40%.

If that's true, what do we take away regarding November?

Can Dems maintain the enthusiasm gap?

Lots (and lots) of upside for Republicans?

Democrats are going to maintain their enthusiasm. May even gain on it. Guys like me are resolute and just tired of the bullshit debate.  Let's get the to the voting already. 

:D

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, concha said:

I just saw a stat that Dem turnout in the Ohio special election was 87% of 2016 turnout while Republican was at only 40%.

If that's true, what do we take away regarding November?

Can Dems maintain the enthusiasm gap?

Lots (and lots) of upside for Republicans?

Lots of upside for the Republicans. 

Specials are a great chance for the motivated party - easy to gin up turnout.  Very unlikely the Dems win OH-12 in November, they won’t spend the resources there as they have other targets.  No doubt the GOP is facing headwinds, but not nearly as bad as 2006 - when they lost about 30 seats.

The wing nuts from both sides have been allowed to drive the narrative for far long enough. 

It's definitely time for the quiet moderates from both parties to coalesce and take the narrative back. 

Time to bring America together again. 

This anonymous social media bullshit is the real enemy of the people. We have watched as loons from "supposed" both sides screech a million times per day and steal the narrative. 

It's time for the real patriots to put that bullshit aside and bring us all back together. 

3 months. 

Just now, Drummer61 said:

Hawg, please read the top ten posted by GSB....Read about some of those on that list, it's all correct..

What did I just say about anonymous social media bullshit. 

Done with it. Idc what wingnut site he went and found some talking head's opinion from. 

I can make a top ten list of most divisive Americans in my lifetime right now. Top number one is currently the president. It can't even be debated.  Almost very single thing he says is intended to divide. Period. It's not even really debateable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I think it's high time that Democrats reclaim the American flag from these right wing nut jobs. 

We have let them wave the American flag as if it is theirs alone and in turn let them claim they're the patriotic lot. 

Now they wrap themselves in the Russian flag, it's the time to make them own that. Reclaim our American flag from these traiterous types that are swinging from the orange Russian ballsack. 

Wear the flag on your lapels, your hats wour socks. Wear it and wave it. If there is no other message from the party. That should be it. 

🇺🇸

Unfortunately, any time a democrat is near an american flag, for some reason someone is there with a camera taking photos of them pissing on it, kneeling on it, stepping on it, or burning it. Hard to wave the flag and burn it at the same time. And im well aware that im speaking generally and not of all Democrats, but I guarantee the number of democrats that completely disrespect the american flag far outnumbers the Republicans that do.

1 minute ago, ron169 said:

Unfortunately, any time a democrat is near an american flag, for some reason someone is there with a camera taking photos of them pissing on it, kneeling on it, stepping on it, or burning it. Hard to wave the flag and burn it at the same time. And im well aware that im speaking generally and not of all Democrats, but I guarantee the number of democrats that completely disrespect the american flag far outnumbers the Republicans that do.

You’d be wrong. Anyone carrying around the confederate flag (mainly southern repubs) disrespects the American flag.  They’ve been given a pass on doing so, but it’s still true.  Those two flags didn’t represent an alliance nor cooperation.  Neither was one subordinate to the other, in reality they were political and military enemies. 

4 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

You’d be wrong. Anyone carrying around the confederate flag (mainly southern repubs) disrespects the American flag.  They’ve been given a pass on doing so, but it’s still true.  Those two flags didn’t represent an alliance nor cooperation.  Neither was one subordinate to the other, in reality they were political and military enemies. 

Lol, Im by no means a fan of the Confederate flag, but having a Confederate flag is no different than someone in the states waving a Mexican, cuban, Etheopian, or German flag. If your an American be an American, if you don't wanna be an American, dont let the door hit you on the way out.

25 minutes ago, ron169 said:

Yes this I know. A big reason for that is one side has been allowed to claim it as theirs and been the flag waving crowd. 

That group today nut hugs and defends the Russian agenda. 

So as I said, time to claim it back and shift the narrative. 

1 minute ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Ignorance is the reason I don't even post over on this side anynore.

Southern democrats did this and that. Yada yada yada. This guy tells me to go study facts while totally ignoring the truth hinself. 

Y'all carry on. See ya at the polls in 3 short months 

Hawg - running around South Georgia how many Rebel flags do you even see anymore?  Sure there are some, but it is not like 30 years or more ago.  See very few - even on pickups or flying in yards - even here in South Carolina.

6 minutes ago, Bormio said:

Hawg - running around South Georgia how many Rebel flags do you even see anymore?  Sure there are some, but it is not like 30 years or more ago.  See very few - even on pickups or flying in yards - even here in South Carolina.

The number is surely reduced, but there will always be a percentage of the population that are idiots

48 minutes ago, ron169 said:

Lol, Im by no means a fan of the Confederate flag, but having a Confederate flag is no different than someone in the states waving a Mexican, cuban, Etheopian, or German flag. If your an American be an American, if you don't wanna be an American, dont let the door hit you on the way out.

Nice deflection, but the confederacy was developed in DIRECT opposition to the US, it's values and ideals they REJECTED!  So every time they wave these flags or adopt them as a part of their state flags, get a tattoo, they are reminding others of their rebellious history 

those others country flags weren't created under these circumstances.

I don't see as many rebel flags as I once did. I think there has been a bit of a resurgence lately though. 

As far as the burning, pissing and stomping on the American flag... I think there is a reality and there is a narrative. 

The reality is that one group pisses on it, but, it's not the flag that they are trying to disrespect. It's the narrative of the group that has been allowed to hijack or claim it as their own over the others that is being pissed on. The confederate flag doesn't have to fly as much since that faction has been allowed to control the narrative behind the American flag for so long.

It's a bad angle though, because it has only allowed further claiming of it by the narrative  that is being protested.

I say that it needs to be taken back for all of the people. That flag stands for a United States and not a states rights or whatever other excuse we can come up with to divide over. Pissing on it and burning it isn't cutting the mustard because most can't understand what the real protest is about. They basically get stuck on the method and not the actual message. That protest angle is a loser. Always will be. Time to switch it up.

1 hour ago, Horsefly said:

Nice deflection, but the confederacy was developed in DIRECT opposition to the US, it's values and ideals they REJECTED!  So every time they wave these flags or adopt them as a part of their state flags, get a tattoo, they are reminding others of their rebellious history 

those others country flags weren't created under these circumstances.

It was in direct opposition but at the same time had the ideals of how this country was set up. A limited federal government were the states had the power. Slavery was a state issue not a federal issue. So the states broke away for their rights. Nothing was illegal about slavery until the 13th amendment. 

2 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

It was in direct opposition but at the same time had the ideals of how this country was set up. A limited federal government were the states had the power. Slavery was a state issue not a federal issue. So the states broke away for their rights. Nothing was illegal about slavery until the 13th amendment. 

This is all that matters, every dispute has context on what one side or the other is trying to achieve;   because, it still didn't ally the confederacy with the US at the time nor now after the fact.  That was my only point.  

Just now, Horsefly said:

This is all that matters, every dispute has context on what one side or the other is trying to achieve;   because, it still didn't ally the confederacy with the US at the time nor now after the fact.  That was my only point.  

They had a good point on the subject matter to be in direct opposition. Lincoln made a state issue a federal issue and completely overstepped his bounds. They wanted to keep free and slave states equal hence the Missouri compromise. The south had every right to break away and keep their way of life. Slavery was not illegal. And if your gonna argue back argue legality not morality 

2 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

They had a good point on the subject matter to be in direct opposition. Lincoln made a state issue a federal issue and completely overstepped his bounds. They wanted to keep free and slave states equal hence the Missouri compromise. The south had every right to break away and keep their way of life. Slavery was not illegal. And if your gonna argue back argue legality not morality 

It all boiled down to losing congressional influence to the south with added representation from slaves and expansion westward.  That is similar to what happens globally today with efforts in containment and expansion of communism and democracy. It leads to conflict and wars.

1 minute ago, Horsefly said:

It all boiled down to losing congressional influence to the south with added representation from slaves and expansion westward.  That is similar to what happens globally today with efforts in containment and expansion of communism and democracy. It leads to conflict and wars.

Slaves weren't gonna get the right to vote at the time. Maybe in the future years. Which is why Korea and Vietnam were so contested. Both conflicts had nothing to do with America and there we went. Its been argued on this board that without provocation the United states shouldn't get involved. Well the south didnt provoke the United states. Vietnam and Korea didnt. Now I am behind the men and woman who were sent to the front lines of course but the policies behind these decisions are very questionable 

Just now, HSFBfan said:

Slaves weren't gonna get the right to vote at the time. Maybe in the future years. Which is why Korea and Vietnam were so contested. Both conflicts had nothing to do with America and there we went. Its been argued on this board that without provocation the United states shouldn't get involved. Well the south didnt provoke the United states. Vietnam and Korea didnt. Now I am behind the men and woman who were sent to the front lines of course but the policies behind these decisions are very questionable 

I'm not talking voting. When a state's population was counted for purposes of representation in government, slaves counted for 3/5 of a man.