Very big election in Ohio tonight

HSFBfan

Just now, Horsefly said:

I'm not talking voting. When a state's population was counted for purposes of representation in government, slaves counted for 3/5 of a man.

Yep I know. And now look certain states want to count illegals for purpose of representation. Any difference? 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

You sure jump from one topic to the next.  Lol

i don't support illegal of anything.

I'm not jumping it's the same argument. You said it came down to representation and slaves were counted at 3/5 but now there are politicans who want to count illegals so they can have more representation. Same premise no? 

Just now, HSFBfan said:

I'm not jumping it's the same argument. You said it came down to representation and slaves were counted at 3/5 but now there are politicans who want to count illegals so they can have more representation. Same premise no? 

similar but not exact.  

Slavery was legal and so was the counting of them for representation and taxes.  Illegals are not legal for representation. 

1 hour ago, Horsefly said:

similar but not exact.  

Slavery was legal and so was the counting of them for representation and taxes.  Illegals are not legal for representation. 

Right. So actually what some politicians wanna do is wrong while what they were doing with slavery was legal. Like I said Lincoln was just wrong to start the civil war. 

18 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Right. So actually what some politicians wanna do is wrong while what they were doing with slavery was legal. Like I said Lincoln was just wrong to start the civil war. 

No he wasn’t, the civil war wasn’t about right n wrong but exercising political power and control

ultimately he felt we were stronger united than separated, he never wanted them to secede. The fear was that secession would fragment democracy and lead to a bunch of smaller independent countries.  This focus on our unity is what has led us to being a superpower today. 

28 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

No he wasn’t, the civil war wasn’t about right n wrong but exercising political power and control

ultimately he felt we were stronger united than separated, he never wanted them to secede. The fear was that secession would fragment democracy and lead to a bunch of smaller independent countries.  This focus on our unity is what has led us to being a superpower today. 

Of course it's about right or wrong. Again I'm speaking legally. Legally he had no right to start a war over something that was perfectly legal to do. The 2nd part you posted is debatable. As I have posted the reasons he started the war. 

11 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Of course it's about right or wrong. Again I'm speaking legally. Legally he had no right to start a war over something that was perfectly legal to do. The 2nd part you posted is debatable. As I have posted the reasons he started the war. 

Small point - but the South attacked a federal installation at Fort Sumter - which was the match that lit the fuse.  But Lincoln would have invaded the South anyways.

38 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

As the president of a separate and sovereign country he had the right to declare war on a group of states that essentially created their own nation.   The militia act allowed him to call forces against foreign nations and states that mounted an insurrection.  Perfectly legal 

21 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

As the president of a separate and sovereign country he had the right to declare war on a group of states that essentially created their own nation.   The militia act allowed him to call forces against foreign nations and states that mounted an insurrection.  Perfectly legal 

I'll have to look that up but if so yes from what your saying that would be legal