Huge! Metro DC Area Scrimmage: SJC DM QO WF

BigDrop

From the VA Preps board:

Friday, 8/10 @7:00PM St. John’s @ Westfield

Friday, 8/17 @6:15PM Quince Orchard @ Westfield

@7:45PM DeMatha @ Westfield

Westfield is the three time defending VA division 6 state champion. In fact over the past 15 years they have been the top large school public program in the state with five state championships.

Maryland’s Quince Orchard was the runner up to Wise in last year’s 2017 state championship 4a game.

These three teams will probably attract at least several thousand fans for a huge night of football.  Westfield has a beautiful facility seating about 8,000 in Chantilly.  Traffic is very heavy coming from Maryland-leave early.

Does anyone know who DM scrimmages this weekend?

• Like 2

Westfield is hosting the two scrimmages with SJC on Friday and DeMatha next Friday along with the MD runner up, Quince Orchard for a second “half” next Friday.

Westfield’s coach would be a really good interview for this board.  His opinion will be especially interesting. And, again, his 3200 student school has won three straight VA state championships!

Again, we have the defending VA state champion, the MD state champion runner up and two WCAC schools, each of whom feel are worthy of the top ten in the U. S.

I’ll be fighting traffic both weekends to see these games.

• Like 2

GC scrimmages St Frances next Friday at 11 in Baltimore ... Not QO or Westfield ...That's a preseason scrimmage ... Will be played NOT in a controlled fashion .... Look for GC to have SFA on their schedule moving forward 

On 8/8/2018 at 3:17 PM, AztecPadre said:

Do the teams only play Westfield?  Saw that Good Counsel vs SJC will be on ESPN this year.  I'm excited to watch SJC and see how their big boy RB has progressed. 

Be curious to see how SJC handles GC's massive OL 4 are returning starters ...Avg ~ 6-4 305 ....Plus all 3 RB's back 

8 hours ago, NicholasMalibu said:

DeMatha scrimmages Mt. St. Joe’s in Baltimore this Saturday at 11am.

Not sure what DM gets out of this then again MSJ beat GC last year SMH 

9 hours ago, DMV said:

Not sure what DM gets out of this then again MSJ beat GC last year SMH 

MSJ has a few studs this season. The RB is probably top 3 in MD and only going into his sophomore year. It will be a good scrimmage for both teams, but DM should be in total control. 

DM has lost their top offensive threat for the past three seasons due to injury(Turner, McFarland, and Lloyd). That also may have something to do with toning down the scrimmage schedule. 

On 8/8/2018 at 1:17 PM, AztecPadre said:

Do the teams only play Westfield?  Saw that Good Counsel vs SJC will be on ESPN this year.  I'm excited to watch SJC and see how their big boy RB has progressed. 

Agreed. Me too. SJC is primed for a shot at the MNC. Alls they he e to do us run that schedule 😳

Good Counsel hammered St. Mary’s Ryken in a scrimmage today. The OL is massive. Both OT are 6’6 310lbs.+. The OT Tengwall is going to be a 5* recruit. GC’s QB tossed the ball around a bit more than you’d think. The TE looked to be his favorite target with two TD’s. The WR Cam Hart(Notre Dame) did not play. The starting RB had 6 carries for 70 yards. 

Also, Good Counsel just added a LB/DL transfer A.J Sargent from Prattville AL. The kid looks legit. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Dmv_elite said:

I secretly think good counsel is going to beat dematha this year

Depends if DeMatha can score this year. If the QB finds a rhythm with the offense, they beat GC by 2 TD’s. DM just has too much speed for GC. They also have the best backfield in the WCAC with Lloyd and Bangura. If DM has trouble offensively, GC wins a close one like last year. The WCAC this season is going to involve heavyweight fights every weekend. Should be a good year. 

• Like 2

Next Friday night I will be camped out at Westfield.  Really interesting that SJC mauled the three time defending large school VA state champions.  DM needs to do the same.  For Westfield they are having another education that may lead them to a fourth consecutive state championship.

For DM the measuring stick is only a week later:  STA, ESPN and south Florida await.  

For the nine and one half million who live in America’s fourth largest metro area this is what it is all about if you and your son are in eighth grade.  If you are good, have a future and a family that would like a free ride for a scholarship ($200k+) the chances are simply better at DM, SJC, GC, and SFA.

And, for all of the initials above, I am honored if my wife even remembers my middle name let alone the middle initial!.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

Next Friday night I will be camped out at Westfield.  Really interesting that SJC mauled the three time defending large school VA state champions.  DM needs to do the same.  For Westfield they are having another education that may lead them to a fourth consecutive state championship.

For DM the measuring stick is only a week later:  STA, ESPN and south Florida await.  

For the nine and one half million who live in America’s fourth largest metro area this is what it is all about if you and your son are in eighth grade.  If you are good, have a future and a family that would like a free ride for a scholarship ($200k+) the chances are simply better at DM, SJC, GC, and SFA.

And, for all of the initials above, I am honored if my wife even remembers my middle name let alone the middle initial!.

I see you left out gonazga in that list lol

3 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

SJC and GC vs Marietta will tell a lot. 

Marietta vs Rome will tell a good bit... as Marietta is a bit of a ? now.

Marietta is dropping with all the problems they have. They have lost 3 studs (4* WR Jermaine Burton, 4* S Rashad Torrence, 3* ATH Dawson Ellington) in the past couple weeks. Torrence & Ellington were deemed ineligible , and cost Marietta 8 wins from last season for the 2 players playing while not being eligible. Losing Torrence & Ellington sting much more than losing Burton, as T & E actually played for Marietta last season... Burton was at IMG.

https://247sports.com/Player/Jermaine-Burton-46039009/

https://247sports.com/Player/Rashad-Torrence-46041913/

https://247sports.com/Player/Dawson-Ellington-92091/

Marietta is surrounded by this drama. They play Rome this coming Thursday in the Corky Kell.... THAT will be telling. Itll tell if they will be able to hang with teams like GC, Grayson, and SJC.

Dont be so quick to place so much faith in Marietta until we see what consequences losing these star players combined with all this drama has on them. Marietta is VERY new to the top, they havent won more than 8 games in YEARS. 

Everything this season ... Is based on their talent (which they lost a little of) and their Quarterfinal appearance last season.

Marietta has NOT won more than 8 games since 2005.

2005: 3-7

2016: 3-7

2017: 8-5 (0-13 with the forfeitures due to Torrence & Ellington)

2018: ?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

SJC and GC vs Marietta will tell a lot. 

GC vs SFA could tell a lot as well although just a scrimmage ...  1's vs 1's early will be  interesting... 2's vs 2's SFA will crush GC..Too much depth at SFA 

9 hours ago, BigDrop said:

https://virginiapreps.forums.rivals.com/threads/no-writeup-of-any-scrimmages-in-northern-virginia-yesterday-nm.56794/

This includes a lengthy, detailed write up of the Westfield/SJC scrimmage Friday night.

Very accurate report. I agree with the writer that Westfield will be ok...SJC was just bigger, faster, deeper and more talented. Other than the DeMatha scrimmage Westfield won't see another team like that. And SJC was a bit sloppy on offense (several holding penalties and false starts) but if they clean that up they will tough to beat.