Huge! Metro DC Area Scrimmage: SJC DM QO WF

BigDrop

Friday night!  Defending three time VA state champion, MD state champion runner up and DeMatha.  Last week DeMatha beat one of Baltimore’s best private teams, Mt. St. Joe’s, 49-7.  SJC beat Westfield (VA state champion 38-0) who play DeMatha.  

Question of the night will be to ask one of the Westfield coaches how DeMatha compares to SJC. But their real focus will be the MD suburban team:  Northern Virginia’s best public NEVER plays Suburban Maryland’s best public.

Game of the night will be Virginia’s defending best vs MD’s Quince Orchard.

Almost seven million in the DC metro area (9.5+ million counting the Baltimore metro area) but top public schools NEVER cross the Potomac river to play each other.

Regular season Westfield vs. Quince Orchard would fill a 10,000 seat stadium.

If they ever played....

But they do on Friday night.

For anyone going:  horrible DC area traffic in the northern VA suburbs.  Also, expect several thousand people for the scrimmages.  

Should be well worth the nightmarish rush hour.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

Question of the night will be to ask one of the Westfield coaches how DeMatha compares to SJC. But their real focus will be the MD suburban team:  Northern Virginia’s best public NEVER plays Suburban Maryland’s best public.

Game of the night will be Virginia’s defending best vs MD’s Quince Orchard.

Regular season Westfield vs. Quince Orchard would fill a 10,000 seat stadium.

Yeah, it would be fun to see some VA/MD games. I saw Bowie play at Yorktown a few years ago but that is not quite a marquee matchup. Fairfax schools don't like to play "out of the box" opponents, I don't think Montgomery County schools do either. 

I would not expect anywhere close to 10,000 people, however. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MA Fan said:

Yeah, it would be fun to see some VA/MD games. I saw Bowie play at Yorktown a few years ago but that is not quite a marquee matchup. Fairfax schools don't like to play "out of the box" opponents, I don't think Montgomery County schools do either. 

I would not expect anywhere close to 10,000 people, however. 

Lake Braddock played DeMatha twice in the mid ‘90’s selling out their 8,000 seat stadium both years; DeMatha played Centreville both years also, again capacity stadium at Centreville.  DM vs Prince William Garfield 5x from ‘89-‘93.  Gonzaga played Centreville several years ago on ESPN and Good Counsel played Robinson twice.  All games were when the schools were on top.

20 minutes ago, NicholasMalibu said:

St. Frances - 20

Good Counsel - 0

...3rd quarter. Looks like GC is working on “issues” before the season and SFA is straight up trying to prove a point since the GC scrimmage is the only local team they play this season. 

20-0 1's vs 1's .... Q3 all backups are in 

6 minutes ago, NicholasMalibu said:

What’s the deal with SFA’s QB? I wasn’t at the scrimmage, just relaying scores. 

Not impressive ... Their OL was good and their RB were good ... Not sure who was out for SFA GC had multiple starters out ..SFA is deep GC is not

28 minutes ago, DMV said:

Not impressive ... Their OL was good and their RB were good ... Not sure who was out for SFA GC had multiple starters out ..SFA is deep GC is not

GC’s been pumping up the size of their OL. I heard they looked big, slow and no push. Is that accurate? I know SFA’s front 7 is top .0001% in the country so taking it with a grain of salt.

12 minutes ago, NicholasMalibu said:

GC’s been pumping up the size of their OL. I heard they looked big, slow and no push. Is that accurate? I know SFA’s front 7 is top .0001% in the country so taking it with a grain of salt.

They did not reestablish the LOS ...SFA was stout upfront but the OL should have played better 

I must confess:  I live seven or eight “air miles” from Westfield and just experienced a serious rain storm.  To build courage my wife and I opened a bottle of wine.

It rained for a while.  At least several glasses.

🍷

I will not be attending the scrimmage-if it is still being played.  But I would seriously appreciate a report from any rain soaked enthusiast.

And, if someone is so generous to update us, now, on our third glass we will toast you.

🍷

6 hours ago, DMV said:

They did not reestablish the LOS ...SFA was stout upfront but the OL should have played better 

One more point GC Dual Theat QB wore a red jersey ... O was very basic .. Still OL was soft 

I’m here.  Rain delay.  

First team to first team in one half:  DeMatha 21 Quince Orchard 0

DeMatha 7 Westfield 0 halfway through quarter which didn’t start until 10:00PM and almost immediately after end of DM/QO half.

DeMatha is playing mostly second team.  Westfield is substituting liberally.

DM is really, really quick.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

I’m here.  Rain delay.  

First team to first team in one half:  DeMatha 21 Quince Orchard 0

DeMatha 7 Westfield 0 halfway through quarter which didn’t start until 10:00PM and almost immediately after end of DM/QO half.

DeMatha is playing mostly second team.  Westfield is substituting liberally.

DM is really, really quick.

QO twitter mentioned one touchdown for them against Westfield, not sure if Westfield scored at all. Would be a bad look for Westfield to get shut out in two scrimmages.

Now that I’m home I’m not sure how much this three way scrimmage meant.  I saw probably 2/3 of the DeMatha/Quince Orchard half and the half between DM and Westfield seemed like a very good scrimmage for both teams but not a situation where a fan could make a lot of value judgments.  DM and QO seemed mostly first team to first team.

But, for DeMatha, I must mention their placekicker:  he has a really strong leg that might be good into the mid 40’s, even 50 yard range.

He will make a difference 

A positive:  DM may have a much better QB than anyone expects.

Westfield is the three year in a row defending VA state champion.  Quince Orchard is the two year in a row Maryland state runner up (to Wise).

18 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

This impressive win will def help SFA continue to draw attention from regional ballers. Unfortunately, GC may never scrimmage them ever again.   

DM scrimmaged SFA last year and, first team to first team, won by a TD.  DM scrimmaged Westfield and, first team to first team, won something like 42-0.  

Of course SFA finished the season #4 in USA Today, Westfield won their third straight VA state championship and DM had five losses.

12 hours ago, BigDrop said:

Now that I’m home I’m not sure how much this three way scrimmage meant.  I saw probably 2/3 of the DeMatha/Quince Orchard half and the half between DM and Westfield seemed like a very good scrimmage for both teams but not a situation where a fan could make a lot of value judgments.  DM and QO seemed mostly first team to first team.

But, for DeMatha, I must mention their placekicker:  he has a really strong leg that might be good into the mid 40’s, even 50 yard range.

He will make a difference this.

A negative:  the four star Cosiah Izzard has left DM for SFA.

A positive:  DM may have a much better QB than anyone expects.

Westfield is the three year in a row defending VA state champion.  Quince Orchard is the two year in a row Maryland state runner up (to Wise).

Are you sure Izzard left for SFA? The SFA DL is “crowded”. It would be an interesting move. 

The DM kicker is a freshman youth league all American I believe.