Illinois Thread

abbatt

9 minutes ago, Bones said:

Pickerington Central should not be losing to a 4A school from Illinois. Period. Last year if Loyola was full strength or even close I would have given Phillips more credit for the win. Several teams in IL would beat Loyola with damn near half the starters out. When Phillips killed Naperville North and Carmel Catholic in the past I credited them.

You sound silly as hell. 

So did Loyola have all their players the next week when they beat a top 250 ranked team in Bishop Amat? Help me out, I'm trying to figure when it's cool for a team to get credit for a win.

You say I sound silly as hell, but you also say PC should not be losing to a 4A school from IL. But you also won't give that same 4A school credit if they do win or keep it close. Don't worry you sound plenty silly yourself. Phillips isn't an average 4A IL school. They're not an average IL school period. Idk if they'll win or lose. But I wouldn't discredit either.

9 minutes ago, DB4 said:

So did Loyola have all their players the next week when they beat a top 250 ranked team in Bishop Amat? Help me out, I'm trying to figure when it's cool for a team to get credit for a win.

You say I sound silly as hell, but you also say PC should not be losing to a 4A school from IL. But you also won't give that same 4A school credit if they do win or keep it close. Don't worry you sound plenty silly yourself. Phillips isn't an average 4A IL school. They're not an average IL school period. Idk if they'll win or lose. But I wouldn't discredit either.

How many losses did Bishop Amat finish with? That was not an impressive team from what I saw. When is it cool to heap praises on a school for beating a 5-6 team? You don't see Illinois people running around talking about how Loyola beat Amat, that'd be ridiculous. 

No Phillips is not the typical 4A program except 4A Rochester put an epic beating on them a few years back in the championship so... Yeah they could very well be very average (when compared to the larger classes). I sure posted some Phillips scores that looked average.

Yeah you still are looking funny in the light.

40 minutes ago, Bones said:

How many losses did Bishop Amat finish with? That was not an impressive team from what I saw. When is it cool to heap praises on a school for beating a 5-6 team? You don't see Illinois people running around talking about how Loyola beat Amat, that'd be ridiculous. 

No Phillips is not the typical 4A program except 4A Rochester put an epic beating on them a few years back in the championship so... Yeah they could very well be very average (when compared to the larger classes). I sure posted some Phillips scores that looked average.

Yeah you still are looking funny in the light.

You keep referencing the Rochester loss from what, 4 years ago? Phillips is a different program from then. You say the scores were average but they were all wins. Sometimes you have to win close games. Oh well.

Also, the 6 teams Bishop Amat lost to combined for 13 losses. No slouches in there. And you don't know that you're playing a 5-6 team in week 2 anyways.

But you got your bases covered. PC wins, then that's what should happen. If Phillips even survives the game without forfeiting, then something must be wrong with PC. No way that Phillips could be good.

12 minutes ago, DB4 said:

You keep referencing the Rochester loss from what, 4 years ago? Phillips is a different program from then. You say the scores were average but they were all wins. Sometimes you have to win close games. Oh well.

Also, the 6 teams Bishop Amat lost to combined for 13 losses. No slouches in there. And you don't know that you're playing a 5-6 team in week 2 anyways.

But you got your bases covered. PC wins, then that's what should happen. If Phillips even survives the game without forfeiting, then something must be wrong with PC. No way that Phillips could be good.

I only referenced the Rochester beatdown of Phillips once. And no I wouldn't call it a different program from then. I agree Phillips beat some 4th tier schools by some average margins. Countless other schools could also beat some 4th tier schools by average margins. I am failing to understand why you want Phillips to be recognized as something they're not. 

DB4,

Something that seems to be lost on some posters is that pre-season scrimmages against other teams isn`t allowed in Illinois. It`s a major disadvantage for any Illinois team going up against an OOS team in the first game of the season. The game itself is the scrimmage. Ohio teams have 2-3 scrimmages against other teams and Phillips is going in basically cold. So...right there you have a big obstacle to be overcome. PC is the defending large class champion from a state that is usually ranked 4-5 Nationally in the power rankings.Illinois is usually ranked 10-15 depending on one`s perception of our state`s football. Last year Loyola was down anywhere from 6-8 starters against Phillips and it took a last second goal line stand from Phillips to seal the upset win. LA was missing a 6`5 ,280 Tackle (Fordham recruit ) and a 6`3 ,260 lb center who were both replaced by 240 lb lineman. I do believe that they would have scored with those 2 in the game. Against Amat they got the tackle back but were still missing 6 starters and they still won.

I think that Phillips is pretty good....against comparable competition. But is PC avg.competition? Considering that the Loyola that Phillips beat was nothing like the Loyola in the state championship game...a 23-14 loss to LWE....PC will easily be the toughest team Phillips has ever played. I do believe that Phillips is way better now than 4 yrs ago...sorry Bones......but comparing apples to apples they should be a heavy underdog against PC. Phillips has won 2 straight championships against teams that would have been slaughtered by numerous IL teams in the higher classes. So what we are left with is a program that is definitely on the rise ...diving into the deep end. Sure they can swim...but will see if they can float or sink on the big stage. After all it`s just a game and all of our talk goes out the window once the game is played.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, MA Fan said:

Nazareth 20 Lutheran North 6

Peoria High basketball score watch will have to wait as they eased up after scoring 30 in the first quarter, beating Champaign Centennial 48-14.

Naz's star RB was kicked out of school recently. Likely hurt their offense.

Some IL scores of note...

Loyola beat Rockford ,MI by 27-7...but it could have been considerably worse. LA`s first unit Def. held Rockford scoreless with 77 yds. and 3 first downs thru 3 Qts.. LA was choppy on OFF...with 2 To`s inside Rockford`s 5 yd line negating 2 more possible Td`s. Still a solid win on the road against a top 10 MI.team

Nazarath Academy beat St.louis power Lutheran North 20-6 with great Def. They shut down a powerful running game but also struggled on OFF as well. As Bones mentioned..Nazarath`s starting RB was kicked out of school...That surely had significant effect on their game plan.

Both Lincoln-Way East and Maine South won impressively against highly regarded opponents. LWE beat Crete-Monee..41-13 and MS beat Glenbard West..35-14.

Bones,

This was a mess of a football game. It was a travesty of sloppy, undisciplined almost reckless play by both teams. I predicted 40 penalties...well try 43 total penalties....24 by King..19 by ESL. The score was weird because neither team can kick extra points and they were mostly unsuccessful on 2 pt.conversions. I also believe that ESL had one more TD at the end...but I couldn`t handle it any more.I was listening to a broadcast of the game and I turned it off with about 4 mins left. This ain`t football. Apparently, basic fundamentals aren`t being emphasized...just athletes, size and speed. I think there are 15 plus teams in IL that could handle both of these teams. If the game had been at ESL..the Flyers probably would have won. I bet the Flyers game against TC will be the same way. TC is pretty undisciplined as well.

Bones,

H-F was fortunate to escape Michigan City in overtime. IL OOS is a mixed bag so far. Loyola could have won by considerably more....We will have a better handle on Nazarath after H-F plays LN...and Phillips will certainly be up against the 8 ball today.  The Trinity/ NC game has lost some luster with both teams winless so far., Simeon beat Naperville north 30-20...but i expect them to be handled by Trotwood-Madison by 42-14.

PC 35...Phillips 14.

From what I understand Michigan City is the #1 team in NW Indiana. Granted I expected a blowout, but it still could be a quality win. The funny part to me was that the Sun Times was hyping up their defense, and I know you never hype up a HF defense. I have filed today's Phillips game as a lopsided loss already; something like 42-7 unless they made major changes to their offense this season. But Phillips game next week could be winnable.

I was surprised by the Loyola score, but I don't know a single thing about Rockford (MI). I'll hold out on the Simeon game next week as I don't know much about them either.

Rockford is ranked 10-15 in MI polls. LA`s defense was very dominating. Their front 4 were making half of the tackles. LA`s Off was choppy at times..but for a first game without any scrimmages against other teams...it was decent. The timing will get better. As for H-F , They will have their hands full against LN.  An article in ST.Louis dispatch said that LN is better coached than TC.

I would put LWE at #1....and Loyola and Maine South at 2 and 3. After that it is a crap shoot. It`s almost pointless for IL teams to schedule early OOS games without being allowed to scrimmage other teams. LA made some mistakes against Rockford that should definitely be cleared up in the next few weeks. I don`t think that you can have a legit ranking until after the 3rd game.

I just wonder how a lot of these OOS teams would perform in their first several games without the benefit of pre-season scrimmages against other teams.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, abbatt said:

I would put LWE at #1....and Loyola and Maine South at 2 and 3. After that it is a crap shoot. It`s almost pointless for IL teams to schedule early OOS games without being allowed to scrimmage other teams. LA made some mistakes against Rockford that should definitely be cleared up in the next few weeks. I don`t think that you can have a legit ranking until after the 3rd game.

I just wonder how a lot of these OOS teams would perform in their first several games without the benefit of pre-season scrimmages against other teams.

If NC beats LWE and MC beats Maine South then everything is messed up.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

I feel that MC will beat MS at Gately. i don`t see LWE losing at home to NC. MC has a big OFF line ...MS is fast and experienced. If MC can control the LOS....MS will have a tough time. MS has some good size on the OFF line as well...but MC is really tough at Gately. I`m calling it 28-24 MC.

LWE will beat NC by 42-21

34 minutes ago, abbatt said:

I feel that MC will beat MS at Gately. i don`t see LWE losing at home to NC. MC has a big OFF line ...MS is fast and experienced. If MC can control the LOS....MS will have a tough time. MS has some good size on the OFF line as well...but MC is really tough at Gately. I`m calling it 28-24 MC.

LWE will beat NC by 42-21

Abbatt... I would agree with you more if MC had not scheduled such a cupcake for their 1st game. MS is more battle tested at this point.