Warning: DO NOT OPEN If You Don't Want To Hear Anything About Navy Football, Colquitt Football and/or Chase Parrish

HawgGoneIt

http://www.moultrieobserver.com/sports/chase-parrish-eager-to-make-his-first-appearance-for-navy/article_b6d21c3c-9c33-11e8-888f-3f05ff85b3bd.html

Chase Parrish eager to make his first appearance for Navy football

• By Matthew Brown
  •  
    • 37 min ago
    •  
      •  

MOULTRIE – Don’t feel too bad for Chase Parrish and all the verbal abuse that’s was laid on the young Navy midshipman. On Labor Day weekend, he has a scheduled trip to Hawaii. And in October it’s off to Southern California, and Orlando and New Orleans in November.

It was a little less than three years ago that Parrish and the Colquitt County High Packers were standing tall in the Georgia Dome, winners of 30 games in a row, a second straight GHSA Class 6A championship and even a national No. 1 ranking. Running Rush Propst’s offense, the quarterback set as many as eight Colquitt County records, including one for career total offense (7,020 yards).

What was next for Parrish was the relative obscurity of a junior college schedule that wasn’t really about winning any championships. It was, however, a way to prepare him for what he really left his Colquitt County home for, the U.S. Naval Academy.

But Parrish didn’t travel up the East coast throwing a football. Instead, he’s learning how to catch the pigskin the way old buddies like Keil Pollard and Ty Lee did so effectively in Moultrie. And no doubt about it, Parrish is learning so much more about life and the world … and even a new language.

Parrish spoke to The Moultrie Observer via telephone Thursday from Annapolis, Md.

His first year, 2016-17, was at N.A.P.S., the Naval Academy Prep School in Newport, R.I. Parrish said it’s run just the same as the Academy with all the rigors both academically and athletically.

“We played (football) against some junior colleges from New York City, New Jersey, places like that,” said Parrish. “We struggled a little bit, had a lot of injuries, quite a bit of different adversities. It’s more a year of development vs. success. The year there is trying to get you ready for the Naval Academy.

“I played wide receiver. Much different than coming from high school playing the spread quarterback. Moving to the triple option, I played wide receiver as a better fit for me.”

The academic load at N.A.P.S., Parrish said, is calculus, physics, chemistry and English.

“A lot of long nights studying,” he said. “It kind of interfered with your football, your military stuff, so it really forced me to learn how to balance a lot of different things at one time.”

On the military aspect, Parrish said it starts out as a boot camp much like what you see in a movie. In three weeks, you get your head shaved bald, you get woken up at 4 a.m., and you get yelled at while running. And there’s no phones.

“Then, throughout the year, you don’t get yelled at quite as much,” said Parrish. “But you still wear your uniform, we go to formations and learn military standards.”

One year ago, Parrish graduated up the ladder to Annapolis as a freshman.

“I think the prep school pushed me in more ways than the Academy did,” said Parrish about the transition. “The prep school I think so far is the toughest thing I’ve had to do. It challenged me in ways I’ve never been challenged before. The tough transition was from high school to the prep school.”

In terms of football, Parrish saw no game action for the Midshipmen in 2017, and he said that’s basically the way it is for a freshman … even a sophomore. It is Division I college football and a part of the American Athletic Conference. Last year’s Midshipmen went 7-6, defeating Virginia in the Military Bowl. The 2018 season begins at Hawaii Sept. 1, the first home game is the following Saturday vs. Memphis, and they will play Houston at home, Notre Dame Oct. 28 in San Diego (the former Jack Murphy Stadium) and at defending AAC champion UCF Nov. 10.

The big one is Dec. 8 against Army in Philadelphia.

“It is very unique,” said Parrish about Navy football. “It is completely different than any other college team I’ve been around. I go visit some of my friends, (like) Keil Pollard in South Carolina. It’s hard to explain. It’s a group of guys who share unique ground with each other. We’ve struggled through the same things with the classes. We put up with challenges the military throws at us. This school was designed to put us in a lot of stress. It bonds all the players on the team together. We look out for each other. We have to keep each other out of trouble. It bonds us in a place no other school can match. No program other than West Point or Air Force understands what it’s like to balance the military and the tough academic rigors along with the football team.

“On the field, we go out there and practice hard. We do everything everyone else does. The players are generally more under-recruited than the ones we play against. Everyone here has a chip on their shoulder. They are tough. They can handle a tough environment and grind through the tough days. That’s what separates us, and that’s why Navy football’s been a successful program over the past 10 years.”

Parrish said it would be rare to see a freshman get into a game, much like the way it is at Colquitt County. He said there are around 180 in the Midshipmen program, so it’s common that one will not see the field until his junior or even senior year.

“Obviously I don’t want to settle for that,” said Parrish. “I’m going to do my best to get on the field any way I can this year (even if it’s special teams). I also know it’s fairly uncommon for underclassmen to see the field.”

So last season mainly included scout team work for Parrish as a quarterback. Looking at the teams they play, they are going to see a lot of passing, and Parrish knows how to do that. When he was working game situations with the Navy offense, he was back at receiver. When throwing against the No. 1 defense, Parrish said you learn there are no weak links at this level, that everyone is a hard-working solid player who understands the game well.

Fall camp is underway for the 2018 season, and Parrish’s offseason included spring practice and summer conditioning. There were also some military requirements and overseas travel. He went to Japan in June for Naval training on a ship.

On the academic side, Parrish said he’s come a long way from the prep school year. He declared himself a political science major and said he’s considering minoring in Japanese, which would include six semesters worth of study on the subject.

Parrish was even seen watching some Colquitt County practice with Pollard at the Packers’ new indoor practice facility.

“I think coach Propst has done an awesome job getting the program where it is now,” he said. “That facility is one of a kind. I’m super proud to say I came from Colquitt, a place that has such great tradition. I’m truly proud to see what coach Propst and his staff have done.

“He’s a character, a one of a kind guy. You won’t meet anyone else like him. I know he truly cares about his players. He was really tough on me in high school, but I wouldn’t expect anything less. He expected the best out of me, and through that he showed me he cared. Through his tough skin and stern words, I did get to see a softer version. He has a good heart.”

Parrish’s immediate goal: like a true Navy man, beat Army. He said that’s a big team focus in 2018 after two straight losses.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

http://www.moultrieobserver.com/sports/chase-parrish-eager-to-make-his-first-appearance-for-navy/article_b6d21c3c-9c33-11e8-888f-3f05ff85b3bd.html

Chase Parrish eager to make his first appearance for Navy football

• By Matthew Brown
  •  
    • 37 min ago
    •  
      •  

MOULTRIE – Don’t feel too bad for Chase Parrish and all the verbal abuse that’s was laid on the young Navy midshipman. On Labor Day weekend, he has a scheduled trip to Hawaii. And in October it’s off to Southern California, and Orlando and New Orleans in November.

It was a little less than three years ago that Parrish and the Colquitt County High Packers were standing tall in the Georgia Dome, winners of 30 games in a row, a second straight GHSA Class 6A championship and even a national No. 1 ranking. Running Rush Propst’s offense, the quarterback set as many as eight Colquitt County records, including one for career total offense (7,020 yards).

What was next for Parrish was the relative obscurity of a junior college schedule that wasn’t really about winning any championships. It was, however, a way to prepare him for what he really left his Colquitt County home for, the U.S. Naval Academy.

But Parrish didn’t travel up the East coast throwing a football. Instead, he’s learning how to catch the pigskin the way old buddies like Keil Pollard and Ty Lee did so effectively in Moultrie. And no doubt about it, Parrish is learning so much more about life and the world … and even a new language.

Parrish spoke to The Moultrie Observer via telephone Thursday from Annapolis, Md.

His first year, 2016-17, was at N.A.P.S., the Naval Academy Prep School in Newport, R.I. Parrish said it’s run just the same as the Academy with all the rigors both academically and athletically.

“We played (football) against some junior colleges from New York City, New Jersey, places like that,” said Parrish. “We struggled a little bit, had a lot of injuries, quite a bit of different adversities. It’s more a year of development vs. success. The year there is trying to get you ready for the Naval Academy.

“I played wide receiver. Much different than coming from high school playing the spread quarterback. Moving to the triple option, I played wide receiver as a better fit for me.”

The academic load at N.A.P.S., Parrish said, is calculus, physics, chemistry and English.

“A lot of long nights studying,” he said. “It kind of interfered with your football, your military stuff, so it really forced me to learn how to balance a lot of different things at one time.”

On the military aspect, Parrish said it starts out as a boot camp much like what you see in a movie. In three weeks, you get your head shaved bald, you get woken up at 4 a.m., and you get yelled at while running. And there’s no phones.

“Then, throughout the year, you don’t get yelled at quite as much,” said Parrish. “But you still wear your uniform, we go to formations and learn military standards.”

One year ago, Parrish graduated up the ladder to Annapolis as a freshman.

“I think the prep school pushed me in more ways than the Academy did,” said Parrish about the transition. “The prep school I think so far is the toughest thing I’ve had to do. It challenged me in ways I’ve never been challenged before. The tough transition was from high school to the prep school.”

In terms of football, Parrish saw no game action for the Midshipmen in 2017, and he said that’s basically the way it is for a freshman … even a sophomore. It is Division I college football and a part of the American Athletic Conference. Last year’s Midshipmen went 7-6, defeating Virginia in the Military Bowl. The 2018 season begins at Hawaii Sept. 1, the first home game is the following Saturday vs. Memphis, and they will play Houston at home, Notre Dame Oct. 28 in San Diego (the former Jack Murphy Stadium) and at defending AAC champion UCF Nov. 10.

The big one is Dec. 8 against Army in Philadelphia.

“It is very unique,” said Parrish about Navy football. “It is completely different than any other college team I’ve been around. I go visit some of my friends, (like) Keil Pollard in South Carolina. It’s hard to explain. It’s a group of guys who share unique ground with each other. We’ve struggled through the same things with the classes. We put up with challenges the military throws at us. This school was designed to put us in a lot of stress. It bonds all the players on the team together. We look out for each other. We have to keep each other out of trouble. It bonds us in a place no other school can match. No program other than West Point or Air Force understands what it’s like to balance the military and the tough academic rigors along with the football team.

“On the field, we go out there and practice hard. We do everything everyone else does. The players are generally more under-recruited than the ones we play against. Everyone here has a chip on their shoulder. They are tough. They can handle a tough environment and grind through the tough days. That’s what separates us, and that’s why Navy football’s been a successful program over the past 10 years.”

Parrish said it would be rare to see a freshman get into a game, much like the way it is at Colquitt County. He said there are around 180 in the Midshipmen program, so it’s common that one will not see the field until his junior or even senior year.

“Obviously I don’t want to settle for that,” said Parrish. “I’m going to do my best to get on the field any way I can this year (even if it’s special teams). I also know it’s fairly uncommon for underclassmen to see the field.”

So last season mainly included scout team work for Parrish as a quarterback. Looking at the teams they play, they are going to see a lot of passing, and Parrish knows how to do that. When he was working game situations with the Navy offense, he was back at receiver. When throwing against the No. 1 defense, Parrish said you learn there are no weak links at this level, that everyone is a hard-working solid player who understands the game well.

Fall camp is underway for the 2018 season, and Parrish’s offseason included spring practice and summer conditioning. There were also some military requirements and overseas travel. He went to Japan in June for Naval training on a ship.

On the academic side, Parrish said he’s come a long way from the prep school year. He declared himself a political science major and said he’s considering minoring in Japanese, which would include six semesters worth of study on the subject.

Parrish was even seen watching some Colquitt County practice with Pollard at the Packers’ new indoor practice facility.

“I think coach Propst has done an awesome job getting the program where it is now,” he said. “That facility is one of a kind. I’m super proud to say I came from Colquitt, a place that has such great tradition. I’m truly proud to see what coach Propst and his staff have done.

“He’s a character, a one of a kind guy. You won’t meet anyone else like him. I know he truly cares about his players. He was really tough on me in high school, but I wouldn’t expect anything less. He expected the best out of me, and through that he showed me he cared. Through his tough skin and stern words, I did get to see a softer version. He has a good heart.”

Parrish’s immediate goal: like a true Navy man, beat Army. He said that’s a big team focus in 2018 after two straight losses.

Cool

minoring in Japanese means what exactly?

i know a guy who learned Japanese and then went there and taught English

he was big so they say over there😀

• Haha 1

Pretty interesting read for me. Just learning that he went to a year of a prep school was interesting. He's a great kid. Definitely a Packer Point Of Pride. 

Cool stuff learning a little about the inner workings of the Navy program too. Maybe we'll get to see him breaking down the sideline and catching a pass in the near future for them. If I know anything about him at all, he's going to find a way to get into the game sooner than later. 

12 minutes ago, hardhit1 said:

Cool

i know a guy who learned Japanese and then went their and taught English

I think his Political Sciences major isn't really a surprise to us around Moultrie. Learning Japanese is an interesting twist though. 

I'll have to ask him the next time I see him; maybe at a game soon. He made it to a couple last season. 

15 minutes ago, hardhit1 said:

Cool

i know a guy who learned Japanese and then went their and taught English

It generally means learning the language.  Six semesters is a lot of study, three years worth normally.  I don't know what they do during the summer.  Do they stay in class or do they take military classes or go on a ship?  Don't know.

1 minute ago, Fred said:

It generally means learning the language.  Six semesters is a lot of study, three years worth normally.  I don't know what they do during the summer.  Do they stay in class or do they take military classes or go on a ship?  Don't know.

Well one of the best Eagles 1976 and great  athlete went there and made some stash and met a maid 😀 

they doing very well Mr Fred😀

6 minutes ago, Sportsnut said:

Good for Chase.

I hope he gets some time and does well.

Play or not, he has the start of a good life going.

He can probably retire at 40ish. That's pretty big. Hell, he can make a career there, retire at 40 or so, and still have time to make another career if he wants. Or he could be a lifer and be an admiral or something commanding the entire fleet. I wouldn't be surprised at all.