2018 Tier Placement - Final

Sammyswordsman

For the 2018 season we will begin rolling out our Tiers with in  Ascending order.

We will begin with Tier 6 on Friday Aug. 10.

Tier 6 - Aug 10

Tier 5 - Aug 18

Tier 4 - Aug 19

Tier 3 - Aug 25

Tier 2 - Aug 26

Tier 1 - Sept 1

If anyone wants to participate in the annual "Predict the Tiers" contest, the floor is open.  Simply correctly guess one team that will be on each Tier.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BraceFace69 said:

Folsom/MD/SJB - Tier 1

Cen10/DLS -Tier 2

Going into season I’d put Folsom and DLS in the same tier 2 below teams like MD, Bosco, IMG, Grayson, Allen, St Johns. The winner of Folsom/DLS, especially if impressive, could perhaps move to tier 1 afterwards. 

As for Cen10 fortunately we will learn a lot about them from the Chandler game. If Logan can work his magic with the QB position watch out for them since they have a better defense this year and are loaded as usual at RB and receiver. 

But seriously,

At this time ,I`m not sure if I would consider any Illinois team. Without any pre-season scrimmages allowed against other teams I will with-hold any recommendations until about mid-season. From other Midwest states I can see Indy Warren Central and several Ohio teams about tier 4-5.

Just now, abbatt said:

But seriously,

At this time ,I`m not sure if I would consider any Illinois team. Without any pre-season scrimmages allowed against other teams I will with-hold any recommendations until about mid-season. From other Midwest states I can see Indy Warren Central and several Ohio teams about tier 4-5.

Does Illinois play OOS games if not why not?

29 minutes ago, Bodysurf said:

Going into season I’d put Folsom and DLS in the same tier 2 below teams like MD, Bosco, IMG, Grayson, Allen, St Johns. The winner of Folsom/DLS, especially if impressive, could perhaps move to tier 1 afterwards. 

As for Cen10 fortunately we will learn a lot about them from the Chandler game. If Logan can work his magic with the QB position watch out for them since they have a better defense this year and are loaded as usual at RB and receiver. 

I totally agree with is that Cen10 could be a handful for anyone, as you said, if Logan does his thing. Their defense, I think for the first time in forever, appears to be their strong point. Lots of big time talent on that side of the ball. Can’t wait to see the Pitt/Cen10 game. Might have to fly down for that one.

Yes...Illinois has a number of good OOS match-ups..reference the 20018 OOS thread. Without any pre-season scrimmages allowed against other teams ,the first several games are the scrimmages ..learning as the games progress where the kinks are. So...it does take a while for the top teams to hit their stride. By mid-season they are more in the groove and it`s then more accurate to evaluate and assess strengths and weakness.

As for Loyola playing East... I would like to see them establish a stronger footprint in the Midwest first. Loyola reached out to at least a dozen teams in Mi,Wi andMO and were turned down until Rockford MI accepted. I think a game between say the top public in New Jersey or the top Catholic in New York would be a good start. or one of the top Catholics from PA...Archbishop Woods or St.Joes. 4 years ago Chicago Mt.Carmel out-played but lost a 28-27 heart-breaker to St.Joes and last year Loyola beat Bishop Amat 13-6 minus 7 starters....so I know that that can compete. Let`s see how Illinois does in their OOS games this year.

• Thanks 1

Let's begin by taking a brief look back at the 2017 FINAL Tier Placements

Tier 1 -   Mater Dei, IMG, SFA, 

Tier 2 -     SJB,  Allen,  Chandler,  Ben Davis, AHP

Tier 3 -  St. Johns, Bishop Gorman, Lake Travis, Cen10, Cardinal Gibbons, North Gwinett,  Collquit County

Tier 4 -   Trinity KY,  Bergen Catholic, DLS,   St. iggy,  Northwestern Fla, St. Louis Hi., Bingham, Trottwood Madison, Pickerington Central, Venice, Central,  Grayson, Archer, Rome,  Mission Viejo, Katy

Tier 5 -  Servite,  OLU, Chaminade, JSerra, Tift,  Santa Margarita, St. Eds, Union OK, Poly, South Pointe,  SJP, STA, East UT,  St. X, Manvel Tx. Colerain, Walton, Lowndes, Mentor

Tier 6 - Folsom,

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Below is an explanation of the Methodolgy used to place the teams on various Tiers.  The Tier concept recognizes that W/L records are a function of quality of opponent, and as such, RELEVANCY of opponent MUST be factored in.  The Tiers recognizes that in some cases, a 10-0 team (ranked in Top 100 by some outlets) could get blown off the field by a 5-5 (unranked) team that played a tougher schedule.  This is why the Tiers was created.

*Not attempting to rank every team, only the ones we discuss on this site.

*Tier placements consider a teams entire body of work, however are weighted heaviest on recent games and game weights decrease in significance in reverse order.  In other words, early road OOS losses to relevant teams can be overcome as the season progresses.

*Teams placed on the same Tier can compete with other same Tier teams and possibly win 2+ of 10. 

*Basically there is a -10 point drop between tiers.  Could vary from 7 to 21 depending on the styles of teams playing.  This does not necessarily mean that there is a 30 point difference between Tier 1 and Tier 3, only that the chances of a Tier 3 team beating a Tier 1 team are exponentially less than the chances of a Tier 2 Team beating a Tier 1 team

*Texas teams generally have not played enough OOS games to gauge properly #crapshoot.  There must be a daisy chain OOS connection for a reference point.  Teams with no OOS daisy chain connection may not be placed on a Tier.  (Texas exempt)

*Tiers are based on exhaustive research, Multiple games watched, and good gut feelings.

*This is a crowd sourced rating. All input will be considered and adjustments will be made as appropriate 

11 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

For the 2018 season we will begin rolling out our Tiers with in  Ascending order.

We will begin with Tier 6 on Friday Aug. 10.

Tier 6 - Aug 10

Tier 5 - Aug 18

Tier 4 - Aug 19

Tier 3 - Aug 25

Tier 2 - Aug 26

Tier 1 - Sept 6

If anyone wants to participate in the annual "Predict the Tiers" contest, the floor is open.  Simply correctly guess one team that will be on each Tier.

Tier 1, number 1..... Servite.

43 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Let's begin by taking a brief look back at the 2017 FINAL Tier Placements

Tier 1 -   Mater Dei, IMG, SFA, 

Tier 2 -     SJB,  Allen,  Chandler,  Ben Davis, AHP

Tier 3 -  St. Johns, Bishop Gorman, Lake Travis, Cen10, Cardinal Gibbons, North Gwinett,  Collquit County

Tier 4 -   Trinity KY,  Bergen Catholic, DLS,   St. iggy,  Northwestern Fla, St. Louis Hi., Bingham, Trottwood Madison, Pickerington Central, Venice, Central,  Grayson, Archer, Rome,  Mission Viejo, Katy

Tier 5 -  Servite,  OLU, Chaminade, JSerra, Tift,  Santa Margarita, St. Eds, Union OK, Poly, South Pointe,  SJP, STA, East UT,  St. X, Manvel Tx. Colerain, Walton, Lowndes, Mentor

Tier 6 - Folsom,

Good batch of cannabis in December obviously.

BGW

• Haha 2

Tier 6 Released

Serra - San Mateo

Evangel Christian (La)

Don Bosco

Columbia (FL)

Helix

Archbishop Wood

Servite

JSerra

Santa Margarita

Gonzaga

Loyola Academy (IL)

John Curtis

Archbishop Rummel

Lowndes

*Not all Tier 6 teams are listed.  Only the teams with supporters on this forum.  If you have a personal interest in a team (your team) and want to see what level they would compete in, please ask.

• Like 2