2018 Tier Placement - Final

Sammyswordsman

16 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Because they can play and compete successfully vs. those other teams in Tier 3.   

So could a bunch of tier 4/5.   The real truth is there is an elite tier and maybe a tier that could surprise, then the rest.   

MD, IMG, SJC, STA, SJB etc  elite player tier  

Carol City (borderline tier 1 IMO), Central, Cen10 (cali) some others...teams that have or might just pull upset on tier 1 but might be missing something or unproven somehow.

The rest of the solid teams.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 954gator said:

So could a bunch of tier 4/5.   The real truth is there is a elite tier and maybe a tier that could surprise, then the rest.   

Carol City, Central, Cen10 (cali) some others...teams that have or might just pull upset on tier 1 but might be missing something or unproven somehow.

Not a bad way to organize the Tiers.

Tier 1: Prime: can play with each other.

Tier 2: Choice: can play with each other; might upset a Tier 1 team.

Tier 3: Select: nationally relevant, in some sense of "nationally relevant" (maybe just: "we happen to talk about them here": can play with each other; might upset a Tier 2 team, but they've got no real chance against a Tier 1 team.

Everybody else; not nationally relevant, in the above sense of "nationally relevant"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

Not a bad way to organize the Tiers.

Tier 1: Prime: can play with each other.

Tier 2: Choice: can play with each other; might surprise a Tier 1 team.

Tier 3: Select: nationally relevant, in some sense of "nationally relevant" (maybe just: "we happen to talk about them here": can play with each other; might upset a Tier 2 team, but they've got no real chance against a Tier 1 team.

Everybody else; not nationally relevant, in the above sense of "nationally relevant"

Bravo

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, 954gator said:

So could a bunch of tier 4/5.   The real truth is there is an elite tier and maybe a tier that could surprise, then the rest.   

Carol City (borderline tier 1 IMO), Central, Cen10 (cali) some others...teams that have or might just pull upset on tier 1 but might be missing something or unproven somehow.

Potato or potahdo.

17 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

Prime: SJB, MD, IMG (not exhaustive)

Select: MC, Cen10(?) (not exhaustive, obviously)

Choice: DLS, Folsom, BG, etc. 

You’re trying to hard to be objective if you have CC on a different level than DLS, unless it’s lower (in which case, you’re probably not trying hard enough)

no direspect to CC, but I just think they’re a little overvalued right now — chandler certainly isn’t top 10, maybe not top 100, and neither is OLu, who they struggled with, a top 25 team — they still project as a 3TD dog in SSD1 semis 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, 954gator said:

You said “elite tier” then later “elite player tier”

if you just want to separate the academies I’m all for it

if you believe teams ought to be ranked by the recruiting evaluations of some of its players, I’m totally opposed with mountains of empirical evidence in my side 

20 minutes ago, Pops said:

You’re trying to hard to be objective if you have CC on a different level than DLS, unless it’s lower (in which case, you’re probably not trying hard enough)

no direspect to CC, but I just think they’re a little overvalued right now — chandler certainly isn’t top 10, maybe not top 100, and neither is OLu, who they struggled with, a top 25 team — they still project as a 3TD dog in SSD1 semis 

Well, I did put a question mark next to them.

I'm not sold on Cen10 yet either, because I didn't like the QB play in the two games I watched. 

But I wouldn't put them below DLS, not when DLS turns the ball over 4 times against the likes of St. Francis. 

So I'm inclined to agree with you: DLS and Cen10 belong on the same Tier. 

15 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Potato or potahdo.

No, it's not.

The whole advantage of a Tier system is that it is supposed to reflect a certain reality, which is that we can only make course-grained distinctions among teams. 

The more Tiers you add to the system, the more fine-grained the distinctions have to be, and the closer you get to rankings teams 1-n, which presupposes that we can tell whether a certain team is exactly n-places better or worse than another team, which is silly. 

10 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

No, it's not.

The whole advantage of a Tier system is that it is supposed to reflect a certain reality, which is that we can only make course-grained distinctions among teams. 

The more Tiers you add to the system, the more fine-grained the distinctions have to be, and the closer you get to rankings teams 1-n, which presupposes that we can tell whether a certain team is exactly n-places better or worse than another team, which is silly. 

Not really.  The end product will be profound.

Right now the future is fluid.