2018 Tier Placement - Final

Sammyswordsman

19 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

LOL   Not only would that be exhausting, but it also misses the entire point about Tiers in HS Football.

The idea is that there is clear separation between HS teams that is not readily apparent by looking at W/L records or numerical rankings.

For Example in 2017 even though BC was a State Champion and  Top 20 team, there was no chance in hell they (as a Tier 3 team) had a chance to beat Tier 1 Mater Dei.  The gap between those Tiers was so expanisve, that BC could not ever make that leap.

Not missing any points.  I get the tiers.  I’m probably your biggest fan of the tiers.

It was a joke, for cripes sake.

BB made a comment about expanding the tiers to create a more finely-grained product.

I just took it to a ridiculous extreme.  BB got it, sorry you missed the point.

Just now, Wosinc said:

Not missing any points.  I get the tiers.  I’m probably your biggest fan of the tiers.

BB made a comment about expanding the tiers to create a more finely-grained product.

Lol.  Sorry the joke musta flew under my head.

1 hour ago, Wosinc said:

Wait a second.

The joke was on me?

My point was that I wanted fewer tiers so that they would be more coarse-grained.

I thought that your joke was aimed at Sammy for having too many tiers.

I guess I need to reevaluate who my enemies are. 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

Wait a second.

The joke was on me?

My point was that I wanted fewer tiers so that they would be more coarse-grained.

I thought that your joke was aimed at Sammy for having too many tiers.

I guess I need to reevaluate who my enemies are. 

I totally misconstrued your point.

I thought you were advocating more tiers, not fewer.

Jokes on me.

Still friends ... ? 😢

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LiberalDonaldTrump said:

Sammy just put them in tier 1 already so they stop crying 😢... I never seen a team wanna be ranked so bad nationally but Refuse to play anyone out of state with a Pulse

I assume this is in reference to Colquitt.

I've not lobbied for or against their placement.

I've only offered fair and factual critiques of a few teams that are erroneously positioned according to Sammy's defined methods of evaluation.

9 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

I assume this is in reference to Colquitt.

I've not lobbied for or against their placement.

I've only offered fair and factual critiques of a few teams that are erroneously positioned according to Sammy's defined methods of evaluation.

Ok so I’ll add another metric

d. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, .....

Tier 1 - Mater Dei, IMG,  STA, SJB,  Allen, SJC

Tier 2 -  Lake Travis, St. Louis,  DLS,  North shore (tx),  SFA, Mentor, Colquitt County, Cen10, Miami Central, Carol City, ULAB

Tier 3 - Colerain,  Katy, Rome,  Milton, Folsom, Bishop Gorman, Centennieal AZ,  Archer, Grayson, Arch Bishop Hoban, Deerfield Beach Bergen Catholic, SJP, SPP, Mission Viejo. Pickerington Central, Jokes Christian, JSerra,

Tier 4 - Converse Judson Tx, , Katy,    OLU,   Lincoln Way East (IL), Dematha, Cardinal Gibbons, American Heritage Plantation, Marietta, St. IGGY, St. Edwards,  Warren Central, Gonzaga. Aledo, Columbia FL, Walton , Chandler, Bingham, Buford

Tier 5 -   SJR, Blessed Trinity (Ga), Muskegon (Mi), East (SLC),  Loyola Academy (IL), Miami Northwestern,   Lee County, Good Council, North Gwinett, Phillips (IL), Duncanville (Tx).

Tier 6 - DBP,  John Curtis, Arch Bishop Rummel, Lowndes,  Cajon Ca,   Serra Gardena, Liberty NV, Saguaro, Trinity*, ST. X, Bishop Dunne,

*teams will not be considered to be in a Tier until they score a point ( if they have played a game).

Below is an explanation of the Methodolgy used to place the teams on various Tiers.  The Tier concept recognizes that W/L records are a function of quality of opponent, and as such, RELEVANCY of opponent MUST be factored in.  The Tiers recognizes that in some cases, a 10-0 team (ranked in Top 100 by some outlets) could get blown off the field by a 5-5 (unranked) team that played a tougher schedule.  This is why the Tiers was created.

*Not attempting to rank every team, only the ones we discuss on this site.

* The Tiers are fluid and subject to extreme fluctuations early in the year, leveling out as the year progresses.

*Tier placements consider a teams entire body of work, however are weighted heaviest on recent games and game weights decrease in significance in reverse order.  In other words, early road OOS losses to relevant teams can be overcome as the season progresses.

*Teams placed on the same Tier can compete with other same Tier teams and possibly win 2+ of 10. 

*Basically there is a -10 point drop between tiers.  Could vary from a TD to 3 scores depending on the styles of teams playing.  This does not necessarily mean that there is a 30 point difference between Tier 1 and Tier 3, only that the chances of a Tier 3 team beating a Tier 1 team are exponentially less than the chances of a Tier 2 Team beating a Tier 1 team.

*The Tiers will ultimately be made up of (16) teams per Tier that would form competitive playoff brackets.

*Texas teams generally have not played enough OOS games to gauge properly #crapshoot.  There must be a daisy chain OOS connection for a reference point.  Teams with no OOS daisy chain connection may not be placed on a Tier.  (Texas exempt)

*Tiers are based on exhaustive research, Multiple games watched, and good gut feelings.

*This is a crowd sourced rating. All input will be considered and adjustments will be made as appropriate

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

41 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Tier 1 - Mater Dei, IMG,  STA, SJB,  Allen, SJC

Tier 2 -  Lake Travis, St. Louis,  DLS,   Bingham, North shore (tx),  SFA, Mentor, Colquitt County, Cen10, Miami Central, Carol City, ULAB

Tier 3 - Colerain,  Katy, Rome,  Milton, Folsom, Bishop Gorman, Centennieal AZ,  Archer, Grayson, Arch Bishop Hoban, Deerfield Beach Bergen Catholic, SJP, SPP, Mission Viejo. Pickerington Central, Jokes Christian, JSerra

Tier 4 - Converse Judson Tx, , Katy,    OLU,   Lincoln Way East (IL), Dematha, Cardinal Gibbons, American Heritage Plantation, Marietta, St. IGGY, St. Edwards,  Warren Central, Gonzaga. Aledo, Columbia FL, Walton

Tier 5 -   SJR,  Buford, Blessed Trinity (Ga), Muskegon (Mi), East (SLC),  Loyola Academy (IL), Walton,  Chandler,  Miami Northwestern,   Lee County, Good Council, North Gwinett, Phillips (IL), Duncanville (Tx).

Tier 6 - DBP,  John Curtis, Arch Bishop Rummel, Lowndes, Santa Margarita, Cajon Ca,   Serra Gardena, Liberty NV, Saguaro, Trinity*, ST. X, Bishop Dunne,

*teams will not be considered to be in a Tier until they score a point ( if they have played a game).

Below is an explanation of the Methodolgy used to place the teams on various Tiers.  The Tier concept recognizes that W/L records are a function of quality of opponent, and as such, RELEVANCY of opponent MUST be factored in.  The Tiers recognizes that in some cases, a 10-0 team (ranked in Top 100 by some outlets) could get blown off the field by a 5-5 (unranked) team that played a tougher schedule.  This is why the Tiers was created.

*Not attempting to rank every team, only the ones we discuss on this site.

* The Tiers are fluid and subject to extreme fluctuations early in the year, leveling out as the year progresses.

*Tier placements consider a teams entire body of work, however are weighted heaviest on recent games and game weights decrease in significance in reverse order.  In other words, early road OOS losses to relevant teams can be overcome as the season progresses.

*Teams placed on the same Tier can compete with other same Tier teams and possibly win 2+ of 10. 

*Basically there is a -10 point drop between tiers.  Could vary from 7 to 21 depending on the styles of teams playing.  This does not necessarily mean that there is a 30 point difference between Tier 1 and Tier 3, only that the chances of a Tier 3 team beating a Tier 1 team are exponentially less than the chances of a Tier 2 Team beating a Tier 1 team.

*The Tiers will ultimately be made up of (16) teams per Tier that would form competitive playoff brackets.

*Texas teams generally have not played enough OOS games to gauge properly #crapshoot.  There must be a daisy chain OOS connection for a reference point.  Teams with no OOS daisy chain connection may not be placed on a Tier.  (Texas exempt)

*Tiers are based on exhaustive research, Multiple games watched, and good gut feelings.

*This is a crowd sourced rating. All input will be considered and adjustments will be made as appropriate

Milton lost to Roswell.

images (2).jpeg

9 minutes ago, StingMan44 said:

Really? Another pedestrian performance (3 pt win) for Bingham and they move back up to tier 2?!?!? Wow

Good catch on Bingham.  I rushed to release this yesterday afternoon because I am attending a Steeler game party early today.

After releasing the Tiers, the Santa Margarita vs. Orem score came in.  So Bingham has been moved to Tier 4.  Santa Margarita is out of the Tiers.