2018 Tier Placement - Final

Sammyswordsman

18 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Good catch on Bingham.  I rushed to release this yesterday afternoon because I am attending a Steeler game party early today.

After releasing the Tiers, the Santa Margarita vs. Orem score came in.  So Bingham has been moved to Tier 4.  Santa Margarita is out of the Tiers.

Well I'm attending a Chiefs game party today!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Also SJC and Central and STA have a fate which will be determined next Friday when STA plays Central.

Not sure this week whether to put SJC and Central both in Tier 2 or Tier 1.   Having IMG back out last week, and Hoover also losing, is going to hurt SJC in the Tiers.

SJC and MC imo are tier 2.  

I think DLS is tier 3...for now.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Tier 1 - Mater Dei, IMG,  STA, SJB,  Allen, SJC

Tier 2 -  Lake Travis, St. Louis,  DLS,  North shore (tx),  SFA, Mentor, Colquitt County, Cen10, Miami Central, Carol City, ULAB

Tier 3 - Colerain,  Katy, Rome,  Milton, Folsom, Bishop Gorman, Centennieal AZ,  Archer, Grayson, Arch Bishop Hoban, Deerfield Beach Bergen Catholic, SJP, SPP, Mission Viejo. Pickerington Central, Jokes Christian, JSerra

[...]

*Basically there is a -10 point drop between tiers.  Could vary from 7 to 21 depending on the styles of teams playing.  This does not necessarily mean that there is a 30 point difference between Tier 1 and Tier 3, only that the chances of a Tier 3 team beating a Tier 1 team are exponentially less than the chances of a Tier 2 Team beating a Tier 1 team.

[...]

DLS is tier 3. 

I hate to repeat myself, but you don't listen too good.

What's more, DLS is tier 3 by your own criterion (to the extant that it makes sense as stated), assuming you've got BG in the right tier. DLS just beat BG by 6, which MoV is below your lower limit of 7. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belly Bob said:

DLS is tier 3. 

I hate to repeat myself, but you don't listen too good.

What's more, DLS is tier 3 by your own criterion (to the extant that it makes sense as stated), assuming you've got BG in the right tier. DLS just beat BG by 6, which MoV is below your lower limit of 7. 

The difference is that DLS has a quality win over the devil, and is also 4-0.  The Bishop is 1-3 with losses to non Tier 2 teams.

1 hour ago, 954gator said:

@SammyswordsmanBuford too low IMO.   They are at tier 3 IMO.   4 at the very least.   

You are correct.  Buford hung close to Deerfield beach who eeked out a win vs Chaminade by about the same point difference, and Buford appears to be a -7 to -10 against Archer on Friday.  Moving Burfod toTier 4 pending the outcome of the Archer game and Deerfield vs. AHP game

10 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

You are correct.  Buford hung close to Deerfield beach who eeked out a win vs Chaminade by about the same point difference, and Buford appears to be a -7 to -10 against Archer on Friday.  Moving Burfod toTier 4 pending the outcome of the Archer game and Deerfield vs. AHP game

You're forgetting Buford's connection to Grayson.    Check out Westlake Ga on maxpreps.  Buford, at the very least should be on par with Grayson.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Good catch on Bingham.  I rushed to release this yesterday afternoon because I am attending a Steeler game party early today.

After releasing the Tiers, the Santa Margarita vs. Orem score came in.  So Bingham has been moved to Tier 4.  Santa Margarita is out of the Tiers.

Well, I went to a birthday party.  We had funfetti cake.  And ice cream, so there!😜

30 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

@PrepForce Love this poll. It's the best on a weekly basis. Give me human eye tests over algorithms any day!!

http://www.prepforce.com/pf_blog/front-page/prep-force-2018-national-high-school-football-rankings-week-5/

Pretty good poll.  My only disagreement is that SPP and SJP are rated as high as they are.  Each has only played 2 games, and both are piggybacking off the BC/Grayson game.  We also don't know if Grayson is any good either.  Grayson beat two local 2-2 teams by a combined 13 points.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

The difference is that DLS has a quality win over the devil, and is also 4-0.  The Bishop is 1-3 with losses to non Tier 2 teams.

I must be confused by the criteria then.

I was under the impression that teams belonging to the same tier had roughly equal chances of winning if they played each other.

BG loses to a tier 1 team, loses by 6 to a tier 3 team, and just lost by 6 to a tier 2 team, yet they are supposed to be 7-21 points worse than a tier 2 team? 

And DLS beats a tier 3 team by 14 in week 0 and just beat a tier 3 team by 6, but they're supposed to be 7-21 points better than a tier 3 team?

That strikes me as a rather puzzling way to go about things, but I'm probably missing something important that is clear in your mind but unclear in your criteria. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Belly Bob said:

I was under the impression that teams belonging to the same tier had roughly equal chances of winning if they played each other.

BG loses to a tier 1 team, loses by 6 to a tier 3 and by 6 to a tier 2 team, yet they are supposed to be 7-21 points worse than a tier 2 team?  - Depends on the Tier 2 team.  DLS beat Tier 3 Folsom by 14 which puts them solid in Tier 2.  DLS beat  BG by a TD

And DLS beats a tier 3 team by 14 in week 0 and just beat a tier 3 team by 6, but they're supposed to be 7-21 points better than tier 3 teams?  If I changed the metric from 7 points to "a TD" would you be satisfied?

That strikes me as a rather puzzling way to go about things, but I'm probably missing something important that is clear in your mind but unclear in your criteria. - The most heavily weighted criteria can be found later down the list

I don't know what criteria you're referring to, but it seems to me that DLS won close games against Folsom and BG.

And it seems to me that BG lost close games to Centennial and DLS.

So I'd put them all on the same tier, since on the available evidence, they're all about as good as each other. 

You don't put them on the same tier.

So I must be confused about what it is to for two teams to belong to the same tier. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

BG loses to a tier 1 team, loses by 6 to a tier 3 team, and just lost by 6 to a tier 2 team, yet they are supposed to be 7-21 points worse than a tier 2 team? 

And DLS beats a tier 3 team by 14 in week 0 and just beat a tier 3 team by 6, but they're supposed to be 7-21 points better than a tier 3 team?

That strikes me as a rather puzzling way to go about things, but I'm probably missing something important that is clear in your mind but unclear in your criteria. 

Don’t pay attention to sammy’s Math on tiers — it’s wrong and confusing 

think conceptually 

• Thanks 1

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:56 PM, Sammyswordsman said:
  •  

Tier 3 - Colerain,  Katy, Rome,  Milton, Folsom, Bishop Gorman, Centennieal AZ,  Archer, Grayson, Arch Bishop Hoban, Deerfield Beach Bergen Catholic, SJP, SPP, Mission Viejo. Pickerington Central, Jokes Christian, JSerra,

Tier 4 - Converse Judson Tx, , Katy   OLU,   Lincoln Way East (IL), Dematha, Cardinal Gibbons, American Heritage Plantation, Marietta, St. IGGY, St. Edwards,  Warren Central, Gonzaga. Aledo, Columbia FL, Walton , Chandler, Bingham, Buford

You have Katy in Tier 3 & 4.  Personally, I would take them out of Tier 3 (see how they do once playoffs start).  I would also switch Duncanville & Aledo.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Image result for colquitt county packers logo

I knew it! I knew it all along!

Image result for crazy grin gif

He should like them.

That's a nasty bunch those hairy Hawgs are.

We've been efficient on offense, and terrorizing defensively. The Blackhats live in their opponents backfield.

42 sacks, 88 QB hurries, and 82 TFL thru 5 games. 

Even MD and SJB can't match those numbers despite their weaker SoS.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, CCBlackhatter said:

He should like them.

That's a nasty bunch those hairy Hawgs are.

We've been efficient on offense, and terrorizing defensively. The Blackhats live in their opponents backfield.

42 sacks, 88 QB hurries, and 82 TFL thru 5 games. 

Even MD and SJB can't match those numbers despite their weaker SoS.

Neither MD nor SJB’s opponents have run 212 offensive plays so.........

whonthe hell is CQ’s stat man, Rab?