Marietta vs. Rome

PrepGridiron

Corky Kell Tilt  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins Marrietta vs. Rome

• Marrietta
    • Rome
    • Folsom by 17!

Maybe the most anticipated game in the Corky Kell, Marrietta vs. Rome, should be a good one. The mayor's already got wagers on the game (pretty awesome). Who do you all like?

https://www.mdjonline.com/news/marietta-rome-mayors-place-wager-on-thursday-s-high-school/article_ca6ce666-a005-11e8-b835-73d3b4bb2932.html

https://www.11alive.com/article/sports/corky-kell-preview-marietta-vs-rome/85-584050388

• Haha 1

Marietta, one r.

But yeah, it should be a good one, I am of the opine that last years squad would've been the matchup and would put to rest a lot of the issues our esteemed members were having with Rome, and whether deserved the national pundits rankings last season.

With Marietta losing those two players due to the paperwork snafu, it's a toss up this year.

Regards,

BGW

4 minutes ago, Sportsnut said:

Thing is, nothing in Georgia is a given.....unlike in Cali.

We don't know from year to year who will step up and be that team.

Talent is everywhere and sometimes you just don't know what group of kids are going to come in with that championship swag. 

We are not you.

You already know for sure who will be there in the end. We have no idea. At least those of us who are not sheep.

We know better the usual suspects but you can bet every year someone surprises.

I don't think Georgia has in it's history a program that has won even 4 titles in a row.

That could be accomplished this year if ELCA wins out. They would be the first.

It would be their 5 title in 6 years and to think some think they are not a top Georgia program because they are a private school.

That belief is held by those same Georgia posters that fit the previous description. 

Georgia is more than what is being told.

One thing we do know is Lovejoy ain't gonna do shit this year. 

Best case 4th in the region with a running clock in the 1st round 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

This matchup is hard to pick.

Grayson scrimmaged Rome a few weeks ago, and the word coming out of that friendly head banger was Rome looked pretty stout on the defensive side of the ball. Many of concerns were the losses on the Wolves's DL, and it's possible that unit may not as much of a weak link as we previously thought.

As for Marietta, they lost two big time prospects. There is a rumor floating around that they have another lineman moving in from Ohio with an tOSU offer. If true, he could help strengthen the Devil's OL unit. The weakness for Marietta will be on the defensive side (they are like a rich man's Folsom, without a dumbass troll poster).

The better defensive team usually pulls out the win in these matchups, so I am rolling with Little Johnny Reid and Rome to knock off the Marietta Blue Devils.

• Haha 1

I think this is an abnormal match up to try judging large school vs. smaller school for the same reason I don't feel it a good indicator of Georgia that Marietta is playing two oos matchups against well known national type teams. 

I do not trust Marietta. Period. 

For that reason, I too would go with Rome. 

If we were talking about a team with a good program behind them like a Grayson then I'd go with the depth squad regardless of talent being heavier on the smaller team. 

All that being said... 

Rome in a close one. Lucky for them they're playing a team that just hasn't been the team regardless of talent. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CCBlackhatter said:

This matchup is hard to pick.

Grayson scrimmaged Rome a few weeks ago, and the word coming out of that friendly head banger was Rome looked pretty stout on the defensive side of the ball. Many of concerns were the losses on the Wolves's DL, and it's possible that unit may not as much of a weak link as we previously thought.

As for Marietta, they lost two big time prospects. There is a rumor floating around that they have another lineman moving in from Ohio with an tOSU offer. If true, he could help strengthen the Devil's OL unit. The weakness for Marietta will be on the defensive side (they are like a rich man's Folsom, without a dumbass troll poster).

The better defensive team usually pulls out the win in these matchups, so I am rolling with Little Johnny Reid and Rome to knock off the Marietta Blue Devils.

Can anyone on here give a bit more detail on this scrimmage? @Fred?   

12 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Can anyone on here give a bit more detail on this scrimmage? @Fred?   

I should clarify that this was actually an OTA where the two scrimmaged. I'm not certain of the format.

A poster on the GA board hinted that Rome more than held their own. While undersized compared to last year, they were sound in technique and physical. I'll see if I can find the clips that were put on Twitter.

Unfortunately, the report was limited as Rab came in and derailed the thread. Big surprise there, right?

• Haha 1

Found an article talking about players of that scrimmage/mixed practice. 

https://247sports.com/college/georgia/Article/Standouts-from-the-Rome-Wolves-versus-Grayson-Rams-practices-119962190/

One thing that really stood out to me in that article is..."Rome players do not attend camps"  that will kill them in the recruiting department since these recruiting sites are so lazy.   At the very least they will be later to get offers.   Sound s a bit selfish of the coaches/staff to me, but it is what it is.