Why was DLS vs Folsom ever in doubt?

Rcmore

3 minutes ago, Rcmore said:

I stated two known facts is not trolling. DLS and Folsom have history. Per Maxpreps: 45-17 and 49-15, both DLS victories. 

This year was much more competitive.

Still not sure what games 5 and 6 years ago, with different rosters, and coaches, have to do with a week 0 game in 2018. 

Educate me. 

1 hour ago, Rcmore said:

Correct me if I'm wrong on the years, but DLS pounded Folsom in the playoffs in 2012 and 2013. 

I know it's irrelevant to compare years, but it's not like the two teams didn't have history. 

DLS does not have enough playmakers on offense this year to overcome their predictable offensive game plan.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Folsom lost this game as much, if not more, than DLS won it.

I understand that most of this board wanted Folsom to lose (possibly because of a certain poster more than the team) and they got their wish, but this game could have easily turned on the Spartans.  Pushing any anti-Folsom agenda doesn't change this.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Rcmore said:

Correct me if I'm wrong on the years, but DLS pounded Folsom in the playoffs in 2012 and 2013. 

I know it's irrelevant to compare years, but it's not like the two teams didn't have history. 

Stroll down to the PrepGridIron Pick 'Em thread for last week and see just how many informed posters picked Folsom. 

All board banter for fun aside, it would have been very difficult to go with Folsom on a bet or in the pick 'em. They just haven't been THAT team. Their past history trends with DLS was a big part of my decision to go with DLS in that game. 

DLS has some kind of spell on NorCal and Folsom. Some call it luck on Friday, some call it DLS was good... I say Eff you all! It's magic! 

😂

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Stroll down to the PrepGridIron Pick 'Em thread for last week and see just how many informed posters picked Folsom. 

All board banter for fun aside, it would have been very difficult to go with Folsom on a bet or in the pick 'em. They just haven't been THAT team. Their past history trends with DLS was a big part of my decision to go with DLS in that game. 

DLS has some kind of spell on NorCal and Folsom. Some call it luck on Friday, some call it DLS was good... I say Eff you all! It's magic! 

😂

When you win games due to botched PATs (one that turned into a 2-pt conversion for DLS against San Mateo Serra and one kick missed by San Jose Bellarmine in OT), it's kind of hard to argue that some supernatural force isn't at play.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

We already knew you were one of that some. 

I think they are magic. Owen Owens field and the Spartans in their home colors. It's basically preordained that all Nor Cal teams who enter shall not pass. 

Image result for you shall not pass gif

Magic or no magic, they won. 

But we won some folks over. And that's what matters. We will be fine. 

2 hours ago, Cal 14 said:

I understand that most of this board wanted Folsom to lose (possibly because of a certain poster more than the team) and they got their wish, but this game could have easily turned on the Spartans.  Pushing any anti-Folsom agenda doesn't change this.

I don’t think anyone would question any of that. 

That said, it doesn’t change the fact that the outcome was never in doubt. 

4 hours ago, CCBlackhatter said:

DLS does not have enough playmakers on offense this year to overcome their predictable offensive game plan.

This offense probably has as many playmakers as most for DLS and two Spartan alumni were playmakers for your Atlanta Falcons the last couple of years -- how many CQ guys are on the Falcons?

2 hours ago, Cal 14 said:

I don't think that's fair

I get it -- felt similarly after the ET game, but regardless, DLS's D certainly did enough to win

The offense didn't do their part, although they looked much better in 2nd half and my biggest concern coming in was sophomore QB in game 1 w/ 4 new OL, new backfield, WR vs an elite opponent.  I would have loved even a warm up game vs Livermore.  I think I was fairly reserved coming in (said I thought it was a 50/50 game and I was a bit skeptical of @Blueliner's enthusiasm), but I was more encouraged than discouraged.  The offense looked about the same as game one in 2004 (lost by 19 to Bellevue), 2005 (only shutout in Lad's career v Clovis West), 2008 (shut out in 2nd half until 2 minutes left and needed TD and 2pt conversion to beat an 8-4 Serra team), 2009 (beat a 6-6 Serra team 14-7 after being shut out in 1st half), 2011 (offense scored 7 points v Bellarmine in regulation).

Can offense be ready for BG in a month?  They've got a ways to go, but I thought I saw progress between the 1st and 4th quarters Friday so was encouraged they have a shot.

Can they compete w/ whichever monster emerges from down south?  I don't know if anyone can, but I haven't ruled these guys out based on that game.  The defense can play w/ SJB or MD and lots of DLS offenses that wind up being very good start very slowly, with a strong relationship between amount of turnover on OL and Hale was first sophomore to start game 1 for DLS in over 25 years

You also know I was Folsom's biggest apologist before Block moved here from NCP -- I just don't think NOT giving DLS credit for winning is fair

2 minutes ago, Pops said:

I don't think that's fair

I get it -- felt similarly after the ET game, but regardless, DLS's D certainly did enough to win

The offense didn't do their part, although they looked much better in 2nd half and my biggest concern coming in was sophomore QB in game 1 w/ 4 new OL, new backfield, WR vs an elite opponent.  I would have loved even a warm up game vs Livermore.  I think I was fairly reserved coming in (said I thought it was a 50/50 game and I was a bit skeptical of @Blueliner's enthusiasm), but I was more encouraged than discouraged.  The offense looked about the same as game one in 2004 (lost by 19 to Bellevue), 2005 (only shutout in Lad's career v Clovis West), 2008 (shut out in 2nd half until 2 minutes left and needed TD and 2pt conversion to beat an 8-4 Serra team), 2009 (beat a 6-6 Serra team 14-7 after being shut out in 1st half), 2011 (offense scored 7 points v Bellarmine in regulation).

Can offense be ready for BG in a month?  They've got a ways to go, but I thought I saw progress between the 1st and 4th quarters Friday so was encouraged they have a shot.

Can they compete w/ whichever monster emerges from down south?  I don't know if anyone can, but I haven't ruled these guys out based on that game.  The defense can play w/ SJB or MD and lots of DLS offenses that wind up being very good start very slowly, with a strong relationship between amount of turnover on OL and Hale was first sophomore to start game 1 for DLS in over 25 years

You also know I was Folsom's biggest apologist before Block moved here from NCP -- I just don't think NOT giving DLS credit for winning is fair

DLS is Top 10 in the nation for crying out loud. Of course they can compete with the SoCal Champ! 🤣🤣🤣

They may need 100 turnovers to score 2 TDs but they have a chance according to Calpreps.

1 minute ago, CCBlackhatter said:

DLS is Top 10 in the nation for crying out loud. Of course they can compete with the SoCal Champ! 🤣🤣🤣

They may need 100 turnovers to score 2 TDs but they have a chance according to Calpreps.

At least DLS has more than 3 away games. Your schedule is trash and everyone is embarrassed for you. 

6 hours ago, FolsomPrisonBlues said:

Troll.

Ask DLS fans about the outcome in doubt at halftime. 

I get your point. I was shocked that it was a double goose egg at th half. Nobody called that! But I honestly was convinced that DLS would pull away in the second half, so I wasn’t extremely nervous. And when DLS got the 3 and out, a 25 yard punt return by Garrett, and scored after the punt, I knew DLS was in business. Honestly, I think that questionable fumble into the end zone before half really messed Folsom up between th ears. Seemed like they weren’t the same after that. When Ngata got into that refs face waving his finger and what not early in the 3rd (which nobody seems to be talking about), I knew DLS was going to win. Folsom didn’t respond like “they’ve been there before” to that one play, and DLS sensed the proverbial blood in the water. So I’ll agree with your assertion of that one play changing he game...but our opinions may differ as to what that change was. If you get my drift. 

Grear game. Still “high” from it.