Why was DLS vs Folsom ever in doubt?

Rcmore

21 hours ago, Blueliner said:

Way to not give DLS an ounce of credit here lol!🤣😊

I like this Folsom squad. I’m a fan. I mean that. But How did Folsom “lose” this game? They got shut out. I get it there’s some controversy, but they got shut out! DLS had several missed opportunities as well to incr are their lead. They had several costly penalties that extended drives for Folsom. 

DLS did what hey had to do to win a tough, hard fought game against a hungry opponent. 

What credit does DLS deserve other than outlasting Folsom?  Everyone is harping on the shutout, but Folsom clearly moved the ball a great deal better than did the Spartans in the first half.  It wasn't so much the Bulldogs getting stuffed as turnovers (some forced, others less so, one not actually a fumble that was called as such). 

DLS had all of 2 first downs the entire first half.  Folsom's turnovers kept them in the game at that point.

Even in the second half, DLS had to wear them down before they finally started to move the ball, but they were still the beneficiaries of Folsom errors.

Yes, to their credit, DLS minimized their mistakes and finally took control of the game, but they were largely outplayed for over 1/2 of it.  There are lot of ifs, but had Folsom scored on the bad-call fumble drive, we don't really know what would have happened in the second half. 

I stand by my statement that Folsom lost this game just as much as DLS won it.  I remember playing in a billiards tournament as a teenager.  I completely dominated it until I scratched on the 8-ball.  To his credit, my opponent said "I didn't deserve that" as he shook my hand.  If the DLS fans want to dance and gloat over Folsom spilling their coffee, go right ahead, but the Spartans did not dominate this game in any fashion and the fact it ended in a shut out does not really represent to me how close this game was.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Pops said:

Can offense be ready for BG in a month?  They've got a ways to go, but I thought I saw progress between the 1st and 4th quarters Friday so was encouraged they have a shot.

You also know I was Folsom's biggest apologist before Block moved here from NCP -- I just don't think NOT giving DLS credit for winning is fair

Keep kidding yourself.

DLS was the beneficiary of Folsom mistakes.  They did not control this game as most here want to claim with the gloating about the shutout.  A bad call handed them that as much as anything else.

DLS got lucky, as they did against Serra and Bellarmine.  They may better on D than last year, but you won't beat Bishop Gorman, Mater Dei, or St. John Bosco with just a stout defense.

I also never said that DLS does not deserve any credit, that's just a hyperbolic reaction and nothing more.  What I said that no reasonable person can deny that they got a fair amount of good fortune from their opponent's mistakes.  It wasn't just DLS dominating them.  That didn't happen.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, zulu1128 said:

I don’t think anyone would question any of that. 

That said, it doesn’t change the fact that the outcome was never in doubt. 

The outcome was plenty in doubt... and it does appear that plenty of DLS fans (and Folsom detractors from Georgia) would question me plenty. 

That's ok.  When you want a particular outcome, you naturally rejoice when you get it and overlook some of the finer details. 

Yes, the Spartans won and that's fine.  That's how games go and, strangely, that's how a lot of DLS games go.  They wear you down and capitalize on your mistakes.  So be it.

I'm not specifically a DLS fan.  I'm a NorCal fan (outside of my alma mater and home section).  I have feel no obligation to sugar coat what actually happened.  Both of these teams are NorCal teams and I will support both as they move on to face competition from outside of the region. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Blueliner said:

Gents,

We have to also remember that DLS and Folsom literally had 6 months to prepare for the magnitude of this game. Both teams have great coaching staffs that had their kids ready for this monumental moment. They had studies so much film that they both knew exactly what the other was going to run pretty much on every play.. That is tough on any offense, and it was the first game. I personally think the lack of offense was exaggerated because of this. Both offenses will be "get better" quickly now that they'll play teams that haven't prepped for them for 6 months.

Nah the lack of points by Folsom was pretty much because they couldn't hold on to the football. Regardless of whether the call(s) were correct or not, if you hold onto the ball there can never be a question.

I've been trying to help them out by posting a video by an NFL linebacker explaining exactly how they should carry the ball, but Folsom dude just cries about something else rather than forwarding it to the coaches. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Cal 14 said:

What credit does DLS deserve other than outlasting Folsom?  Everyone is harping on the shutout, but Folsom clearly moved the ball a great deal better than did the Spartans in the first half.  It wasn't so much the Bulldogs getting stuffed as turnovers (some forced, others less so, one not actually a fumble that was called as such). 

DLS had all of 2 first downs the entire first half.  Folsom's turnovers kept them in the game at that point.

Even in the second half, DLS had to wear them down before they finally started to move the ball, but they were still the beneficiaries of Folsom errors.

Yes, to their credit, DLS minimized their mistakes and finally took control of the game, but they were largely outplayed for over 1/2 of it.  There are lot of ifs, but had Folsom scored on the bad-call fumble drive, we don't really know what would have happened in the second half. 

I stand by my statement that Folsom lost this game just as much as DLS won it.  I remember playing in a billiards tournament as a teenager.  I completely dominated it until I scratched on the 8-ball.  To his credit, my opponent said "I didn't deserve that" as he shook my hand.  If the DLS fans want to dance and gloat over Folsom spilling their coffee, go right ahead, but the Spartans did not dominate this game in any fashion and the fact it ended in a shut out does not really represent to me how close this game was.

Who doesn't love a good old fashioned moral victory?xD

7 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

I expected a shootout, instead got a old fashioned control it, win t.o. Game. 

Win it, go home. 

BGW

p.s. Would’ve never guessed a 14-0 game. 

Who would have guessed a 14-0 game? 

There was so many numbers flying around on here leading up to this game about how much each team would score I thought the scoreboard would look like the national debt counter or something. 

Image result for national debt counter

Instead we got the usual, DLS shows up, handles their business and walks off the field. 

and of course we got the rest of the year to hear about how Folsom actually should have won etc. 

xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CCBlackhatter said:

Norcross actually looked pretty solid. Hardly a slow start to this season, unfortunately they aren't gifted a ranking like DLS gets EVERY single year. 

What you're ignoring is how inflated many teams are in preseason and then move up based on wins even against subpar competition.

When DLS gets blown out against BG in week 5 and look as inept as they did offensively in week 1, are you going to support them still being ranked amongst the best team in the country. How about when Folsom allows more points to many of their remaining than the 14 given up to DLS. Are you still going to be singing this same tune?

Bottom line is you rank them where they are now, not where they could be. This seems to be a common occurrence for many of the CA teams.

I await your next excuse.

Gorman will be a true indicator being it is game 5. Gorman plays MD this week in a big rematch. Should be a heavy weight fight.  Gorman is one of the top 10 teams in country, or at least thought of by many. We'll see what Dela does and how competetive they do. Dela doesn't need to win to justify a top 25 ranking. Almost all teams in country will lose to a Gorman. We're not talking about Dela in top 10. We are talking about them in top 25, which means as I have posted earlier, they can lose to teams in the 50 to 70 range, at least for now. When Dela matures this season, maybe they will be in the 15 -20 range. I don't know yet, and neither do you.  Playing teams like Gorman, SJB, MD, Centen,  you have to be damn good to even give them a game. Beating them you have to be elite.

9 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Who would have guessed a 14-0 game? 

There was so many numbers flying around on here leading up to this game about how much each team would score I thought the scoreboard would look like the national debt counter or something. 

Image result for national debt counter

Instead we got the usual, DLS shows up, handles their business and walks off the field. 

and of course we got the rest of the year to hear about how Folsom actually should have won etc. 

xD

to to be fair to @FolsomStateTitlesServiteTier6IrrelevantTheBlockIsHotFolsomPrisonBlues , i still get the cold sweats at night about this game...

PS i still hate atari callen

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Cal 14 said:

The outcome was plenty in doubt... and it does appear that plenty of DLS fans (and Folsom detractors from Georgia) would question me plenty. 

That's ok.  When you want a particular outcome, you naturally rejoice when you get it and overlook some of the finer details. 

Yes, the Spartans won and that's fine.  That's how games go and, strangely, that's how a lot of DLS games go.  They wear you down and capitalize on your mistakes.  So be it.

I'm not specifically a DLS fan.  I'm a NorCal fan (outside of my alma mater and home section).  I have feel no obligation to sugar coat what actually happened.  Both of these teams are NorCal teams and I will support both as they move on to face competition from outside of the region. 

I’m not a DLS fan, a Folsom hater, or even from California. 

That being said, there was never any doubt to any reasonable person that DLS was winning that game. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zulu1128 said:

I’m not a DLS fan, a Folsom hater, or even from California. 

That being said, there was never any doubt to any reasonable person that DLS was winning that game. 

LMFAO say that to DLS nation at halftime that night. Half of em were covered in sweat. 

You are just a weird troll. Back to the reject OT forum where u belong. 

6 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

Gorman will be a true indicator being it is game 5. Gorman plays MD this week in a big rematch. Should be a heavy weight fight.  Gorman is one of the top 10 teams in country, or at least thought of by many. We'll see what Dela does and how competetive they do. Dela doesn't need to win to justify a top 25 ranking. Almost all teams in country will lose to a Gorman. We're not talking about Dela in top 10. We are talking about them in top 25, which means as I have posted earlier, they can lose to teams in the 50 to 70 range, at least for now. When Dela matures this season, maybe they will be in the 15 -20 range. I don't know yet, and neither do you.  Playing teams like Gorman, SJB, MD, Centen,  you have to be damn good to even give them a game. Beating them you have to be elite.

Calpreps has them in the Top 10 RIGHT NOW dude. If they lose to BG like they did last year, they obviously have no business ranked amongst them (I'll have to double check, but they may be ranked higher than BG currently).

My point is DLS has shown nothing to suggest such lofty status.

I'm of the opinion you don't even know what this debate is about as you seem to agree with me, but for some reason you have no issue with DLS's gift of notoriety.

With that being said, it's not even worth continuing this discussion.

2 hours ago, FolsomPrisonBlues said:

Folsom is better than Colquitt. and it's not close. 

You, Ned, and Pops are the only three people who think that out of 300+ million people.

We can't even begin discussing the truth in that statement until Folsom scores at least one point, much less a TD. It's been 8 fucking months since a Bullpup has crossed the goal line.

Colquitt crossed the goal line 5 times by comparison.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Cal 14 said:

I wasn't gonna reply in this thread ---- until I read your post. My POV is nearly identical to what you outlined here.

It was a closely contested game with the outcome still in doubt until late in the 4th. While DLS did win it, those stating that it was a foregone conclusion and/or those that are overly pushing the shutout are being disingenuous IMO. And it's agenda driven.

DLS won the game -- the how's and why's can and certainly are/have been debated. But the reality remains unchanged. Both teams played well in certain aspects of the game (not so much offensively). Ultimately, DLS made less mistakes than Folsom and was able to convert on some of their opponents mistakes which is why they won.

To demonstrate how not all fans standing up for Folsom are biased in favor of them, I'll offer the following post I read on the NorCal website from a professed DLS fan --- only omitting a single paragraph where he goes into detail about stadium seating issues. While I don't necessarily agree, I do find his comment about Folsom possibly winning 8/10 quite telling. It just goes to show how some fans rooting for DLS last Friday night recognized how "in the game" Folsom really was.

https://norcalpreps.forums.rivals.com/threads/de-la-salle-vs-folsom.19579/page-10#post-204630

I was there, top row and to the right of the press box where all the press traffic issues were.  As always, I was rooting for DLS, but also wishing they could find a way to improve the crowd issues.  I'm sure they could think of a way if they didn't mind giving up a few seats in one row...  But they apparently think things are fine the way they are.   

Anywayy..  The GAME!  I thought the quality of play was super-high for a season opener overall. and also thought that Folsom was controlling the lines physically on both sides of the ball.  Many, many times I thought that this was IT for the NorCal streak.  On offense, DLS could barely manage to do any more than 3-and-out for nearly all of the first half, while Folsom threatened to score fairly often.

Even in the 2nd half, when the Spartans finally found a few things they could get done offensively, it was a huge struggle while Folsom's offense kept moving the ball fairly consistently.  I stood there (yes, stood on the top row to get a better view), expecting the worst to happen for the Spartans...  Somehow, through a little luck, apparently one bad call, and some timely big plays on D, the Spartans pulled it off.

On the way out of the stadium, I told a couple friends "If we could magically have these teams play ten times, Folsom would win eight!".  Maybe, maybe not.  Depends on the improvement curve and all that....

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

You, Ned, and Pops are the only three people who think that out of 300+ million people.

We can't even begin discussing the truth in that statement until Folsom scores at least one point, much less a TD. It's been 8 fucking months since a Bullpup has crossed the goal line.

Colquitt crossed the goal line 5 times by comparison.

Lol there's been 1 game. Folsom is the NFL and Colquitt is the CFL

1 hour ago, Cal 14 said:

Keep kidding yourself.

DLS was the beneficiary of Folsom mistakes.  They did not control this game as most here want to claim with the gloating about the shutout.  A bad call handed them that as much as anything else.

DLS got lucky, as they did against Serra and Bellarmine.  They may better on D than last year, but you won't beat Bishop Gorman, Mater Dei, or St. John Bosco with just a stout defense.

I also never said that DLS does not deserve any credit, that's just a hyperbolic reaction and nothing more.  What I said that no reasonable person can deny that they got a fair amount of good fortune from their opponent's mistakes.  It wasn't just DLS dominating them.  That didn't happen.

I liked everything about this post except that “DLS got lucky”. That simple statement ruined an otherwise solid post. And don’t act like Folsom was he only team that made mistakes. 

2 hours ago, Cal 14 said:

Keep kidding yourself.

What am I kidding about?  

I was just telling you to give credit where credit is due

You are trying to reposition your comments above, but I refer to your earlier post

1 hour ago, FolsomPrisonBlues said:

@BraceFace69 here ya go 

20180821_193151.jpg

Let it go!!! Lol!! You sound like such a whiny little bitch, crying about this play over and over and over again. It is what it is. Your team lost!! DLS deserved to win BUT, the fumble made them lose. DLS deserved to win BUT, Folsom had more yards. DLS deserved to win BUT, Folsom had more yards. DLS deserved to win BUT, Folsom fans ate more hot dogs..but, but, but...lol. At the end of the game all that matters is what is on that scoreboard and it said...

DLS 14- Folsom ZERO!!!

Screenshot_20180821-112834_YouTube.jpg

• Like 1