Ohio Week 1 Predictions/Discussion

Coletrain06

St. Ignatius vs. Hoban - Iggy 17 Hoban 13

Ignatius and Hoban are both stacked. Iggy should have a pretty good defense but have to replace some pieces of the offense. Iggy always finds nice Lines. Hoban is similar to Iggy....they should have a pretty good defense, and though they have to replace some offensive guys, they are loaded throughout their program with players ready to step up.

I am calling this game for Iggy for a few reasons....The last couple of years Hoban has not been able to get over the hump of beating a top D1 team. Also Hoban will be relying more on younger players, and I think that gives Iggy an advantage this early in the season, especially at home.

St. Edward @ Mentor - St. Edward 28 Mentor 21

St. Edward was a very dangerous team last year that got bit by the injury bug. However everyone knew that last year's team was still a year away from reaching full potential...So here we are this year. Ed's is very loaded on both the defensive and offensive sides..............Mentor has to replace a great QB and some skill players, but have some guys to step up. Mentor should have a very solid Defensive unit, although I'm not too sure how much that can actually mena for Mentor. 

Some of the Ed's QB's are a little banged up, so that's something to watch, though I think they'll be fine come game time. Mentor is also starting some underclassmen in big roles, so I think Ed's has an advantage there.....Also it seems like Ed's is a team who usually gets out of the gate strong. gott go with Ed's in this one.

Colerain vs. La Salle - Colerain 17 La Salle 10

Colerain had everything they needed to win the state title last year, they just didn't take care of the ball in the semis. This year they bring back most of the team, including 3 OLinemen, all 3 RB's, QB, 3 LBS, and 3 DB's, Kicker and Punter. Some of the new guys have some size to them, and others have added serious size. This should be a bigger Colerain team than we've seen in a while. Some of the new guys have some serious accolades, with one of the DL being described as a possible next Terrill Byrd. LB Eric Phillips (~6'5 260-280) is huge and moves incredibly well for his size and was described by an All SEC Lineman/Coach as looking/moving like an Alabama DE. Leading the team will be FB/LB Ivan Pace Jr, LB Luke Bolden and QB Deante Smith Moore(DSM2).

La Salle will probably be best known for their trio of LB's that have all started the last 2 years. They are fantastic. Also, they recieved a transfer at QB in Horton who came from Lakota West. Horton's eligibility still seems shrouded. La Salle also has RB Cam Porter back. Also they have one of the best kickers in the country.

This neighborhood rivalry game is great. On paper Colerain should take this one. They have a big experienced OLine, an experienced QB who is much quicker and decisive running the triple option this year, they have Powerhouse FB Ivan Pace pounding between the tackles, and 2 very quick RB's on the outside.... On the Defensive side, Colerain also has one of the best LB corps and secondaries in the state, in addition to the size and length they should get on the DLine this year......All that being said, La Salle is an archrival and their LB's have been very successful the last 2 years at defending the Colerain option....Also it's week 1 and the vast majority of Colerain's losses and near-losses over the last couple decades have come in Week 1. It takes some time to get the Option clicking......Still, with the Colerain Defense, I don't see La Salle outscoring the Colerain offense. 

Pickerington Central vs. Phillips IL (Neutral) - Pick Central 31 Phillips 14

Pick Central has one of the most electrifying players in the state back in QB Demeatric Crenshaw, but they have to replace their entire OLine, and 2 of their best defensive players from last year. Still, Pick Central rotates alot of players and should have capable replacements.......Don't know much about Phillips roster

Some people are all aboard the Pick Central wagon again this year, and while I think they will be a very good team, I can't ignore the loss of an entire Senior OLine that averaged 300+, and one of the best playmakers in Xavier Henderson. I think Pick Central could certainly end up as the # 1 team, but right now I find it hard to put them any higher than #4, considering what they lose and what other teams bring back.......I think this game will give us a good idea where Pick Central is at. I think Pick Central should win this comfortably. 

Trotwood-Madison @ Winton Woods - Trotwood 28 WW 17

Pickerington North vs. Olentangy Liberty - Pick North 35 Liberty 14

Fairfield @ Centerville - Fairfield 35 Centerville 21

• Thanks 1
  • Like 8

Coletrain06,

I think your score for the Phillips game is a pretty accurate prediction.....although I would give PC another TD...38-14. Even if that is the final...I would give Phillips kudos for not losing by 40. Playing the defending Ohio state champ on the road without the benefit of playing other squads in any scrimmages..not allowed in IL ,gives PC a huge starting edge over Phillips. Now....if this game was being played at Gately Stadium..on the far South side of Chicago..I would only favor PC by 10-14 points.

2 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

Ignatius and Hoban are both stacked. Iggy should have a pretty good defense but have to replace some pieces of the offense. Iggy always finds nice Lines. Hoban is similar to Iggy....they should have a pretty good defense, and though they have to replace some offensive guys, they are loaded throughout their program with players ready to step up.

I am calling this game for Iggy for a few reasons....The last couple of years Hoban has not been able to get over the hump of beating a top D1 team. Also Hoban will be relying more on younger players, and I think that gives Iggy an advantage this early in the season, especially at home.

St. Edward @ Mentor - St. Edward 28 Mentor 21

St. Edward was a very dangerous team last year that got bit by the injury bug. However everyone knew that last year's team was still a year away from reaching full potential...So here we are this year. Ed's is very loaded on both the defensive and offensive sides..............Mentor has to replace a great QB and some skill players, but have some guys to step up. Mentor should have a very solid Defensive unit, although I'm not too sure how much that can actually mena for Mentor. 

Some of the Ed's QB's are a little banged up, so that's something to watch, though I think they'll be fine come game time. Mentor is also starting some underclassmen in big roles, so I think Ed's has an advantage there.....Also it seems like Ed's is a team who usually gets out of the gate strong. gott go with Ed's in this one.

Colerain vs. La Salle - Colerain 17 La Salle 10

Colerain had everything they needed to win the state title last year, they just didn't take care of the ball in the semis. This year they bring back most of the team, including 3 OLinemen, all 3 RB's, QB, 3 LBS, and 3 DB's, Kicker and Punter. Some of the new guys have some size to them, and others have added serious size. This should be a bigger Colerain team than we've seen in a while. Some of the new guys have some serious accolades, with one of the DL being described as a possible next Terrill Byrd. LB Eric Phillips (~6'5 260-280) is huge and moves incredibly well for his size and was described by an All SEC Lineman/Coach as looking/moving like an Alabama DE. Leading the team will be FB/LB Ivan Pace Jr, LB Luke Bolden and QB Deante Smith Moore(DSM2).

La Salle will probably be best known for their trio of LB's that have all started the last 2 years. They are fantastic. Also, they recieved a transfer at QB in Horton who came from Lakota West. Horton's eligibility still seems shrouded. La Salle also has RB Cam Porter back. Also they have one of the best kickers in the country.

This neighborhood rivalry game is great. On paper Colerain should take this one. They have a big experienced OLine, an experienced QB who is much quicker and decisive running the triple option this year, they have Powerhouse FB Ivan Pace pounding between the tackles, and 2 very quick RB's on the outside.... On the Defensive side, Colerain also has one of the best LB corps and secondaries in the state, in addition to the size and length they should get on the DLine this year......All that being said, La Salle is an archrival and their LB's have been very successful the last 2 years at defending the Colerain option....Also it's week 1 and the vast majority of Colerain's losses and near-losses over the last couple decades have come in Week 1. It takes some time to get the Option clicking......Still, with the Colerain Defense, I don't see La Salle outscoring the Colerain offense. 

Pickerington Central vs. Phillips IL (Neutral) - Pick Central 31 Phillips 14

Pick Central has one of the most electrifying players in the state back in QB Demeatric Crenshaw, but they have to replace their entire OLine, and 2 of their best defensive players from last year. Still, Pick Central rotates alot of players and should have capable replacements.......Don't know much about Phillips roster

Some people are all aboard the Pick Central wagon again this year, and while I think they will be a very good team, I can't ignore the loss of an entire Senior OLine that averaged 300+, and one of the best playmakers in Xavier Henderson. I think Pick Central could certainly end up as the # 1 team, but right now I find it hard to put them any higher than #4, considering what they lose and what other teams bring back.......I think this game will give us a good idea where Pick Central is at. I think Pick Central should win this comfortably. 

Trotwood-Madison @ Winton Woods - Trotwood 28 WW 17

Pickerington North vs. Olentangy Liberty - Pick North 35 Liberty 14

Fairfield @ Centerville - Fairfield 35 Centerville 21

I like all of your picks.  I got Hoban over St. Ignatius because of the game experience that the Hoban qb has now and I like Winton Woods over Trotwood big.  I think Trotwood has to replace their all Ohio from last season.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

Exactly why I went with Iggy in the Expert Pick Em. Hope we are right! 

2 hours ago, hardhit1 said:

Colerain,

Great first start to the Ohio new year!

Agree on the above predictions except the Iggy/Hoban game if QB Hamm plays. Heard he might not but after losing his first game last year he ran the table to finish 14-1 not bad for a freshman. 

Just now, PrepGridiron said:

Exactly why I went with Iggy in the Expert Pick Em. Hope we are right! 

Was all excited and then I saw this. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hardhit1 said:

Colerain,

Great first start to the Ohio new year!

Agree on the above predictions except the Iggy/Hoban game if QB Hamm plays. Heard he might not but after losing his first game last year he ran the table to finish 14-1 not bad for a freshman. 

I didn't even read your post before I commented on Coletrain's post.  What's up with the Hoban soph qb?

3 minutes ago, nptb17 said:

I didn't even read your post before I commented on Coletrain's post.  What's up with the Hoban soph qb?

Something going around where he played an all star game as an 8th grader and now OHSAA has cracked down with a one game suspension. Sounds bogus to me but gives Iggy a better chance to win otherwise Hoban in this one. 

10 minutes ago, hardhit1 said:

Something going around where he played an all star game as an 8th grader and now OHSAA has cracked down with a one game suspension. Sounds bogus to me but gives Iggy a better chance to win otherwise Hoban in this one. 

So wait, they have something to say two years later.  Plus middle school has nothing to do with high school.  I believe an Iggy parent did this J/K.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zulu1128 said:

I like Colerain over LS by 14-17. 

Me too. However I know thats never how it plays out with La Salle and X. 

Although, I think La Salle won't be too happy when they actually meet a prepared bigger Ivan Pace Jr this year. They only got a taste of him last year, same as X.....and then we saw what happened when X met him in the playoffs.

Hell of a week one slate. I like your picks.

I've been waffling back and forth on the Iggy/Hoban game. Hamm's eligibility for the game could make the difference. There's been no clear-cut answer as to whether he will play or not, but word is that the other QB had been getting the starting reps in the final scrimmage. Iggy will have a green QB as well, and I see both teams trying to establish the run, Ignatius with Bo Floyd and Hoban with the Dickerson/Trayanum combo. Hoban's defense will get a boost with Devin Hightower who transferred over from Ed's. My gut is telling me Hoban as they are more talented overall, but that was the case the last two years against Ignatius and Ed's and they weren't able to conquer the D1 powerhouses. 

Ed's/Mentor is another pick'em game. I'm going with Ed's, but I'd feel more confident in picking them if the game was at their place. Mentor plays well at home. They will be breaking in a soph QB, but with the youth system they have in place, their QB's are well entrenched in the offense.  Kipp will also be playing behind a stacked O-line. Mentor will test a fresh-faced Ed's defense despite their inexperienced offense. Offensively for Ed's they have a number of weapons to go to, but I look for them to get the ground game going early with Castleberry. Another promising RB, Alain Trice,  has transferred to Cleveland Heights, but junior Joey Formani has looked good during scrimmage season and will provide a power element to the run game. Through the air, Michigan commit Quintel Kent and OSU baseball commit Mac Wainwright give Dzuro a couple of nice targets. Talented safety Caden Kolesar will also play some wideout. TE Chris Elliot is getting some low-level D1 looks as well and could emerge as a surprise weapon this season, although they may want to use him in this match-up to chip Noah Potter and keep the talented Mentor DE out of the backfield. 

• Thanks 1