Linux Distros

GlenC7

Wonder how may people here use a Linux OS. I'm through with Windows. Never liked Windows 10 and never will. I think we might be on the verge of a Linux revolution. I ran Linux Mint 18.3 with the Cinnamon desktop for a few months. I've seen enough to say good bye to Windows.

The beauty of Linux is that it is open source, free, secure, and you can set it up any way you choose. there are probably thousands of Linux Distros. The most popular probably being Mint and Ubuntu. The system doesn't require much room or memory to run very efficiently. Boots up quick, shuts down quick. I'll be installing the new 18.04 LTS of Ubuntu shortly. It will be my main home OS.  I use a cheap little Chromebook for my laptop needs, does everything I need. Back to Linux,,, all the software is free with no catch and It's good stuff too. I'm just amazed I didn't know much about Linux OS's until recently.

It's really simple if you get the right distro. It does have a terminal, but you don't really need to use it with some of the flavors you have out there. You can do some you tubing or visit some forums to learn about the terminal commands. Apple has me as far as cell phones go. But for computing it's going to be Linux for me from now on.

Anyway I was curious about how many people in this forum use Linux for there OS.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Hey Glen.... been thinking about doing the same thing.

I am not a big fan of Windows 10 ( mostly due to the privacy thing ) so I mostly use W7 which I like. Problem is that in my experience; when power using for business purposes ( Photoshop and really complex Excel macros etc. ) nothing touches gaming machines, most of which are set up for windows 10 and not any other OS. Using Linux outside of embedding it within W10 has been a problem... at least for me.

The other thing is that when using Open Office etc, there have always been little things I find that make using Microsoft Office just a little bit better. 

If anyone has experience in this area or have any thoughts.... I would be interested as well.