Colquitt, Grayson... Mid-Season Collision Course

HawgGoneIt

Pretty good article from one of my favorite sportswriters in the state of Georgia. Probably one of the most knowledgeable historians in the state as well.

The top two teams in Class 7A, Grayson and Colquitt County, blew away their latest opponents this past weekend, which ensures that their impending showdown on September 21, is still alive and well for at least one more week. 

Grayson opened their 2018 season on Saturday night by pummeling Tucker 48-7, while Colquitt County made quick work of Trinity Christian School from Missouri, 45-14. The Rams and Packers solidified their claim to the top two spots in the State’s largest classification with their impressive wins. 
The obvious question remains; are these two 7A powerhouses in reality the best two teams in the state? Many prep observers across Georgia would give one a thumbs up in that discussion, while others might only offer a definite maybe. 

There are several other teams that could join the conversation of who’s the best prep football team in Georgia. Some would say Lee County of Leesburg. Class 6A’s No. 1 team which annihilated Dr. Phillips from Florida, 35-3 on Saturday night.

There is also two-time 5A Champion, the Rome Wolves to consider. They opened their season with a 51-41 win over one of Class 7A’s preseason title favorites, Marietta High School. Also there’s another 5A school that is often mentioned as 2018’s best of class; the Buford Wolves who moved to 2-0 on the young season after downing Jonesboro, 58-7 this past Friday night, and yet another 5A contender to consider, the Warner Robins Demons, last year’s runner up to Rome.

grayson_scoreboard.jpg?itok=HL6RJCeC
We are still early into this 2018 campaign, but there are many top-flight teams that have to be considered in the hunt as this state’s best prep football team, Lowndes and Walton from Class 7A, Dalton, Stephenson and Coffee from class 6A are as solid as a rock. Defending 4A champion Blessed Trinity, Carrollton, Stockbridge and Wayne County would gladly play, any team from any classification, anytime-anywhere.

Don’t forget Class 3A when talk of the best teams in the state, surfaces again late in the season. There is Calhoun, with 29 seniors on that talented roster, and they know how to play the game of football. There is Cedar Grove who beat Hewitt-Trussville, Ala., Saturday, 34-30. The Saints have now beaten two out-of-state powers on consecutive weeks to begin their season, last week they downed Summerville, S.C., in their season opener. Another 3A power, Peach County beat Northside-Warner Robins, one of 6A’s best this past weekend 27-24, which gives us yet another prep point to ponder.

Before we settle the dispute of who’s the best team in the State, we need to remember that both Colquitt County and Grayson have their hands full before their long-awaited showdown. The Rams have a couple of tough assignments before their third week in September match with the Packers. Grayson meets highly-regarded Bergen Catholic from New Jersey this week, and then they have a tough Class 7A match with the aforementioned Marietta Blue Devils in three weeks.

colquitt_defense.jpg?itok=D_iiDusb
The Colquitt County defense stymied their Missouri visitors
Rush Propst’s Packers have a tougher row to hoe before traveling to Grayson. The ‘Pack plays host to one of Class 2A’s top teams, the 2-0 Thomasville Bulldogs this week, then it’s old nemesis the Valdosta Wildcats in two weeks; then they follow up those two games with a visit to play 5A powerhouse, Warner Robins before turning their attention to Grayson. We are early in the 2018 campaign, and things are off to a roaring start. 

This week’s schedule of top games features some interesting matchups: Mill Creek travels to play at Norcross, Lowndes makes the long trip north to play at Parkview in a battle of top 10 teams. In other games, it’s Clarke Central at Flowery Branch, Jones County at Northside-Warner Robins and a long-time rivalry game in metro Atlanta, with Westminster at St. Pius X. In a couple of other games of note, Class 2A’s highest scoring team, the Dublin Irish, 2-0, travel to Swainsboro, and in a south Georgia special, it’s unbeaten 2A Brooks County at undefeated Class A Public power Clinch County, in Homerville.

14 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:
Pretty good article from one of my favorite sportswriters in the state of Georgia. Probably one of the most knowledgeable historians in the state as well.

The top two teams in Class 7A, Grayson and Colquitt County, blew away their latest opponents this past weekend, which ensures that their impending showdown on September 21, is still alive and well for at least one more week. 

Grayson opened their 2018 season on Saturday night by pummeling Tucker 48-7, while Colquitt County made quick work of Trinity Christian School from Missouri, 45-14. The Rams and Packers solidified their claim to the top two spots in the State’s largest classification with their impressive wins. 
The obvious question remains; are these two 7A powerhouses in reality the best two teams in the state? Many prep observers across Georgia would give one a thumbs up in that discussion, while others might only offer a definite maybe. 

There are several other teams that could join the conversation of who’s the best prep football team in Georgia. Some would say Lee County of Leesburg. Class 6A’s No. 1 team which annihilated Dr. Phillips from Florida, 35-3 on Saturday night.

There is also two-time 5A Champion, the Rome Wolves to consider. They opened their season with a 51-41 win over one of Class 7A’s preseason title favorites, Marietta High School. Also there’s another 5A school that is often mentioned as 2018’s best of class; the Buford Wolves who moved to 2-0 on the young season after downing Jonesboro, 58-7 this past Friday night, and yet another 5A contender to consider, the Warner Robins Demons, last year’s runner up to Rome.

grayson_scoreboard.jpg?itok=HL6RJCeC
We are still early into this 2018 campaign, but there are many top-flight teams that have to be considered in the hunt as this state’s best prep football team, Lowndes and Walton from Class 7A, Dalton, Stephenson and Coffee from class 6A are as solid as a rock. Defending 4A champion Blessed Trinity, Carrollton, Stockbridge and Wayne County would gladly play, any team from any classification, anytime-anywhere.

Don’t forget Class 3A when talk of the best teams in the state, surfaces again late in the season. There is Calhoun, with 29 seniors on that talented roster, and they know how to play the game of football. There is Cedar Grove who beat Hewitt-Trussville, Ala., Saturday, 34-30. The Saints have now beaten two out-of-state powers on consecutive weeks to begin their season, last week they downed Summerville, S.C., in their season opener. Another 3A power, Peach County beat Northside-Warner Robins, one of 6A’s best this past weekend 27-24, which gives us yet another prep point to ponder.

Before we settle the dispute of who’s the best team in the State, we need to remember that both Colquitt County and Grayson have their hands full before their long-awaited showdown. The Rams have a couple of tough assignments before their third week in September match with the Packers. Grayson meets highly-regarded Bergen Catholic from New Jersey this week, and then they have a tough Class 7A match with the aforementioned Marietta Blue Devils in three weeks.

colquitt_defense.jpg?itok=D_iiDusb
The Colquitt County defense stymied their Missouri visitors
Rush Propst’s Packers have a tougher row to hoe before traveling to Grayson. The ‘Pack plays host to one of Class 2A’s top teams, the 2-0 Thomasville Bulldogs this week, then it’s old nemesis the Valdosta Wildcats in two weeks; then they follow up those two games with a visit to play 5A powerhouse, Warner Robins before turning their attention to Grayson. We are early in the 2018 campaign, and things are off to a roaring start. 

This week’s schedule of top games features some interesting matchups: Mill Creek travels to play at Norcross, Lowndes makes the long trip north to play at Parkview in a battle of top 10 teams. In other games, it’s Clarke Central at Flowery Branch, Jones County at Northside-Warner Robins and a long-time rivalry game in metro Atlanta, with Westminster at St. Pius X. In a couple of other games of note, Class 2A’s highest scoring team, the Dublin Irish, 2-0, travel to Swainsboro, and in a south Georgia special, it’s unbeaten 2A Brooks County at undefeated Class A Public power Clinch County, in Homerville.

Well, there's only 5-6 teams in all of 7a, so it's safe to say 7a is a bush league floppin' in a mud puddle.

Regards,

AllKnowingAsshole

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Well, there's only 5-6 teams in all of 7a, so it's safe to say 7a is a bush league floppin' in a mud puddle.

Regards,

AllKnowingAsshole

Well, what I know, is; Colquitt is out to prove one way or the other on whether the smaller class teams can compete. 

Just showed up 2A from Missouri. Hoping to show up last year #2 and undefeated so far this year from 2A Georgia in a game Thomasville squad.

Then bringing over a Georgia top 6A team in Valdosta.

Then going up to 5A Warner Robins. Looking every bit the part of a top 5A squad in the state. 

Gonna find out where the bush leagues stand in reality I'm thinking. 

1 hour ago, ECHS05 said:

If all 3 won their Regions... North Gwinnett and Colquitt would meet in the Quarterfinals... and the winner would meet Grayson in the State Championship.

Exactly. 

And, me and the North fans that I talked with on the way out of the Benz all think North would make a quarterfinal exit at that point. 

It's still very early. But it's fun to guess at these things. It's starting to shape up though. We kind of know who everyone is imo. 

I see Colquitt and Grayson about the same right now and I see North and Milton about the same right now. North and Milton maybe a notch behind the front two. 

If Grayson loses to BC, suddenly they're disowned again. 😎

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Well, what I know, is; Colquitt is out to prove one way or the other on whether the smaller class teams can compete. 

Just showed up 2A from Missouri. Hoping to show up last year #2 and undefeated so far this year from 2A Georgia in a game Thomasville squad.

Then bringing over a Georgia top 6A team in Valdosta.

Then going up to 5A Warner Robins. Looking every bit the part of a top 5A squad in the state. 

Gonna find out where the bush leagues stand in reality I'm thinking. 

There you go agin' "thinking"!!!

Boy, I sware!

AKA

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Exactly. 

And, me and the North fans that I talked with on the way out of the Benz all think North would make a quarterfinal exit at that point. 

It's still very early. But it's fun to guess at these things. It's starting to shape up though. We kind of know who everyone is imo. 

I see Colquitt and Grayson about the same right now and I see North and Milton about the same right now. North and Milton maybe a notch baehind the front two. 

North has every right to be in the discussion... North earned it. (damn that was hard to type out)

I hate North, so there's that.

Regards,

BGW

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

North has every right to be in the discussion... North earned it. (damn that was hard to type out)

I hate North, so there's that.

Regards,

BGW

They did start out the season in the discussion. 

At this point, we know Colquitt and Grayson are MUCH improved from their last year squads. 

North doesn't seem MUCH improved. They lost more talent than the other two, and we now see that the other two are definite monsters. 

Waiting on North to show they are too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

And a another damn thing,  Buford softened that Tucker azz up....

Regards,

AKA 

Based on the way they were acting before the game started, you made them mad not soft.  One of the posters on GAVSV was apparently a member of the chain gang Saturday.  His words were " I was on the sidelines and by the second quarter, Tucker head coach stopped the yelling, none of the coaches had anything for their guys except - "get out their and try to do your job" "

59 minutes ago, Fred said:

Based on the way they were acting before the game started, you made them mad not soft.  One of the posters on GAVSV was apparently a member of the chain gang Saturday.  His words were " I was on the sidelines and by the second quarter, Tucker head coach stopped the yelling, none of the coaches had anything for their guys except - "get out their and try to do your job" "

Well, Fred I  like you... barely. 

Sometimes ya gotta just read betwixt the lines and see the forest for the trees. 

😈😈😈

BGW

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Not likely.  All the crap that goes along with a trip like that is worth up to 14pts deficit depending on the teams involved.  Even in a true neutral site situation I think Grayson wins handily.

5 minutes ago, On2whls said:

Not likely.  All the crap that goes along with a trip like that is worth up to 14pts deficit depending on the teams involved.  Even in a true neutral site situation I think Grayson wins handily.

All I know is BC better Lose Because if They actually Beat Grayson lmao boy ohh boyy

these Ga posters will not go 3 minutes without me bringing up Grayson 

i will mak it my Duty to troll someone like No one has Before 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

The only thing Colquitt has proved is they could win 2A in Missouri. 

In all honesty I’m severely disappointed 😔  they they played a Missouri team and severely ashamed on how over hyped they made that team

they are so lucky they play Grayson Because that game will tell u if they are foreal or not 

2 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

The only thing Colquitt has proved is they could win 2A in Missouri. 

Thank You NB !!!!

I been trying to tell these gurus that Colquitt ain't nothing but a bunch of poor, tiny, little undersized and inexperienced Hawgs....but they won't listen.

We could possibly struggle against AA Thomasville this Friday.   "Doc" is worried.  Rush is worried.  And I been asking Buddha for guidance all afternoon.

HawgGoneIt and CCBLACKHATTER will tell ya that we gonna be fine...but....they drink a lot.

Listen to me when I tell ya...

OH WOE IS US !!!!!

Rufus>>