OT: HS track

golfaddict1

On 7/15/2018 at 1:30 PM, Texasball said:

Sweet anchor by Burrell... he's peaking right now.    

An excellent 100 meter race days ago...  sweet field and Noah Lyles LOL, hilarious introduction (kid was clearly stressed) to his acceleration at the end of the race, dang he's got some future if he stays healthy.   

• 2 years later...
On 4/10/2018 at 5:55 PM, DevilDog said:

https://lonestarpreps.rivals.com/news/1980-pittsburg-pirates-greatness-in-the-shadows

They were in the District next to us .  They had Gary Hashaway @ RB I ran track against him I think he went to SMU and Kenneth Reeves the OT/DT played for the Eagles or Steelers in the NFL if I remember correctly. Byron Linwood their 100m guy he was a 10.7 guy I ran against him in Lindale at a meet and I think he went to TCU.   Chris Vaughn (10.6) from DeKalb was the 2nd best in the 100m at  that time in Beast Texas 3A area and was the a great HS RB for Dekalb.   DeKalb was our District Champ and Pittsburg beat them in Bi-District that year running a  we all graduated 1980 - 1982 from the Same area.

That Defense was crazy we played them at home in District that year and lost.  Remember my cousin the Track Coach out here he was a 10.5 guy at 4A Mount Pleasant that year he was very good TB for them too and they were good and  played 4A finalist Paris to 2 Td's .  Keith Stansberry  was on that MP team and went to OU another track Beast and hitter at Safety.  Had a bad Wreck @ OU they lost to 3A Pittsburg the 1st game of that year 15 -14. 

They are in the argument along with 1973 Big Sandy, John Tyler  1983 Daingerfield as the best out of Beast Texas and Texas' Best ever.

Better than 1983 Daingerfield? Probably not, but this team should be in the discussion.

Wk. 1 Pittsburg 15 Mt. Pleasant 14
Wk. 2 Pittsburg 34 Jefferson 0
Wk. 3 Pittsburg 47 Linden Kildare 0
Wk. 4 Pittsburg 14 Jacksonville 7
Wk. 5 Pittsburg 21 Daingerfield 0
Wk. 6 Pittsburg 16 Paris N. Lamar 0
Wk. 7 Pittsburg 34 Pattonville Prairie 0
Wk. 8 Pittsburg 47 Mount Vernon 0
Wk. 9 Pittsburg 50 Winnsboro 0
Wk. 10 Pittsburg 33 Clarksville 0
Bi-Dist Pittsburg 21 DeKalb 0
Area Pittsburg 24 Van 0
Qtr Final Pittsburg 28 Decatur 0
Semifinal Pittsburg 35 Stamford 0
Finals Pittsburg 13 Van Vleck 2

I’m a member of the 1980 Pirate team. Great information but have a few corrections. Gary Hashaway did run the 100meters and was on the sprint relay team. Also was a starting fullback for SMU. However it was Joseph Carlock that was the fastest Pirate on the 81 Track team. Carlock was a backup to Hashaway in football but could fly on the track. He would win the 100meters and 200meter . Ran the 3rd leg on the relay.Once ran a 21.0 in the 200 meters. Carlock and Manness ( from Decatur) locked up at state meet. Carlock beat Manness in Austin. The Pitt team finished second at the 81 state meet. Byron Linwood ran the  hurdles in HS track and was good but did not make it to the State meet. Played QB/Safety on the 1980 State Champion team. Linwood (Safety) and Mannes (WR) were actually roommates at TCU and both were ALL-Americans.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Pittdan said:

I’m a member of the 1980 Pirate team. Great information but have a few corrections. Gary Hashaway did run the 100meters and was on the sprint relay team. Also was a starting fullback for SMU. However it was Joseph Carlock that was the fastest Pirate on the 81 Track team. Carlock was a backup to Hashaway in football but could fly on the track. He would win the 100meters and 200meter . Ran the 3rd leg on the relay.Once ran a 21.0 in the 200 meters. Carlock and Manness ( from Decatur) locked up at state meet. Carlock beat Manness in Austin. The Pitt team finished second at the 81 state meet. Byron Linwood ran the  hurdles in HS track and was good but did not make it to the State meet. Played QB/Safety on the 1980 State Champion team. Linwood (Safety) and Mannes (WR) were actually roommates at TCU and both were ALL-Americans.

Mannes was from my neck of the woods...He was one very fast white boy.  However, he liked Cocain more than playing for the Chicago Bears so he didn’t last in the NFL very long.