Football camps.... how to know which ones are worth it???

94Packer

Congrats man, that's exciting stuff.  Coming from my friends and acquaintances in the coaching world, the USA football camps have solid Instruction.  As for exposure, I have heard that the Nextgen camps offer a little more, as that is their main focus and I believe they are affiliated with Rivals (could be mistaken on the affiliation).  Myadvice:

- Within your monetary means, try and send him out too as many camps as possible / as many that can be afforded (they get pricey quick).  The more eyes that see him the better if the ultimate goal is to land a scholly.  It only takes 1 offer if it is a good fit.  

- Academics matter, especially for any talent on the margins (which is the majority of the talent).  Academic performance WILL be taken into consideration if a close decision has to be made.  Especially if grades / scores are good enough to warrant shifting some $$ toward the academic side.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NYHSFAN33 said:

Congrats man, that's exciting stuff.  Coming from my friends and acquaintances in the coaching world, the USA football camps have solid Instruction.  As for exposure, I have heard that the Nextgen camps offer a little more, as that is their main focus and I believe they are affiliated with Rivals (could be mistaken on the affiliation).  Myadvice:

- Within your monetary means, try and send him out too as many camps as possible / as many that can be afforded (they get pricey quick).  The more eyes that see him the better if the ultimate goal is to land a scholly.  It only takes 1 offer if it is a good fit.  

- Academics matter, especially for any talent on the margins (which is the majority of the talent).  Academic performance WILL be taken into consideration if a close decision has to be made.  Especially if grades / scores are good enough to warrant shifting some $$ toward the academic side.  

I got really excited about this initially.....the thought of impressing the right people at a camp...and I haven't heard anything bad about the 3 camps i mentioned, but there are so many of these camps.... and there is the money aspect of it. I don't have a problem with paying for a few camps if they really have the potential to produce beneficial instruction or exposure. I've read the literature on a lot of these camps though and it's like the initial camp fee is a teaser. They say if you are one of the top performers you may be selected to ( fill in the name of a monstoriously awesome showcase camp) that costs 5 time the cost of the initial camp and is halfway across the country. And I'm like ...... hold on.... that's why I'm asking you guys in case anyone has some insight into which camps are legit. There is the other side of me that says .... okay if my kid has the talent and is playing in a competitive program he will get exposure.....I'm kinda torn on the whole thing. If it was an invite to a rivals showcase the reservations would be made and the bags would be packed but that hasn't happened...yet...I'm not saying good bad or indifferent about the camps but I want to be logical and expend my money in the ways that is benefits my child the most. Thanks for the backing of USA football NYHSFann33 that gives me a little more easiness about that one.

8 minutes ago, 94Packer said:

I got really excited about this initially.....the thought of impressing the right people at a camp...and I haven't heard anything bad about the 3 camps i mentioned, but there are so many of these camps.... and there is the money aspect of it. I don't have a problem with paying for a few camps if they really have the potential to produce beneficial instruction or exposure. I've read the literature on a lot of these camps though and it's like the initial camp fee is a teaser. They say if you are one of the top performers you may be selected to ( fill in the name of a monstoriously awesome showcase camp) that costs 5 time the cost of the initial camp and is halfway across the country. And I'm like ...... hold on.... that's why I'm asking you guys in case anyone has some insight into which camps are legit. There is the other side of me that says .... okay if my kid has the talent and is playing in a competitive program he will get exposure.....I'm kinda torn on the whole thing. If it was an invite to a rivals showcase the reservations would be made and the bags would be packed but that hasn't happened...yet...I'm not saying good bad or indifferent about the camps but I want to be logical and expend my money in the ways that is benefits my child the most. Thanks for the backing of USA football NYHSFann33 that gives me a little more easiness about that one.

I hear you.  In that case you might be best off sticking close to home and attending the closest college / university football camps given.  Can't go wrong there and are much more affordable than these private camps.  If the performance and measurables are both there he will get solid exposure locally, which usually starts recruiting momentum nationally.

• Like 1

Rush and staff will do everything in their power to get his players' names out there. He has a lot of connections with the top programs nationally.

If you are looking at camps, I would suggest you and your son sit down with Rush, and get his advice on which would be the best fit for him. He knows what his players' strengths and weaknesses are, and they may determine which camp can offer him the best instruction depending on the areas in which your son needs the most improvement. I'm sure certain camps have better coaches/trainers than others. (For example, Camp A may have the more quality instruction overall, but Camp B may have the best DB coach)

If you don't mind me asking, what position does he play? 

• Like 2

CC black hatter has solid advice. For the most part the camps you listed are a waste of time. Many of the current invite camps only focus on and promote the kids that came in with offers. If your child is seeking offers and or exposure your best bet is to attend a few college camps. It gives position coaches from that school as well as a few other lower level schools direct contact with the kid.  Relationships are formed as well. If he's lucky enough to leave the camp with an offer or serious interest he will also receive offers from other schools in that conference as many coaches offer a kid that a competitor has offered out of respect for the quality of kids the competition fields.  Try to attend as many college camps as possible.  If he gets offered then camps like under armour, addidas, Nike become beneficial because they'll be inviting you to see where you rank amongst the elite.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CCBlackhatter said:

Rush and staff will do everything in their power to get his players' names out there. He has a lot of connections with the top programs nationally.

If you are looking at camps, I would suggest you and your son sit down with Rush, and get his advice on which would be the best fit for him. He knows what his players' strengths and weaknesses are, and they may determine which camp can offer him the best instruction depending on the areas in which your son needs the most improvement. I'm sure certain camps have better coaches/trainers than others. (For example, Camp A may have the more quality instruction overall, but Camp B may have the best DB coach)

If you don't mind me asking, what position does he play? 

Thanks Blackhatter I think the advice you and SJR04 gave me is really good advice. Those camps made me go ....well maybe..... but something in my gut told me to rethink it. My son will only be a 9th grader next year and he still has a long way to go. I think patience is going to be key and let the coaches develop him and the will steer him to camps etc when the time is right. I may take SJR 04 , and NYHSFAN33 advice on the college camps though... It would be a good learning experience if nothing else. Blackhatter my son is a lineman to answer your question. Thanks again!

Just now, 94Packer said:

Thanks Blackhatter I think the advice you and SJR04 gave me is really good advice. Those camps made me go ....well maybe..... but something in my gut told me to rethink it. My son will only be a 9th grader next year and he still has a long way to go. I think patience is going to be key and let the coaches develop him and the will steer him to camps etc when the time is right. I may take SRJ04's advice on the college camps though... It would be a good learning experience if nothing else. Blackhatter my son is a lineman to answer your question. Thanks again!

I would definitely look into the SEC school camps around here. All will offer excellent instruction, and he will be seen by the coaches and recruiters first hand. I would try to get him to at least one or two camps a year. Propst will have them all pretty busy, so anything more than a couple would be hard to manage.

I've heard great things about the up and coming linemen. They will have a plethora of RBs to clear space for in the coming years. Things are about to get really fun down here in Moultrie. Best of luck to your son, I hope he has a healthy career full of accolades.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...

Nextgen was unorganized and over booked. When we originally booked they said it was going to be kept to 75 Athletes.  They booked 390. Kids did not get enough reps the day of the SHOW qualifier. Camp for QB's it's not good. 

There are much better camps out there. There meetings are a time suck and I think they like to hear themselves talk. 

It's more expensive than most. 

There is favoritism as well.

• 2 years later...

Totally agree with SMW. Went to NXGN camp this weekend. They are biased and do NOT pick the best performers to move on to The Show, I'm not sure what criteria they are using to choose -- probably personal connections to the families because there is literally no other explanation based on presenting talent vs those who was chosen -- but it is not based on your child's skill or ability. For example, they basically used the QBs to highlight the RB and receivers. They announced midway through the day that out of the 34ish QBs who were there, they had ALREADY PRE-INVITED four QBs to The Show, and only gave out an invite to ONE QB at the camp, who was very, very young (11?) and very small (5'4"?), ran the same very basic and easy route, threw an interception, and was hands down not a top performer by a LONG shot. His dad didn't seem very surprised his kid got an invite, which was suspicious. The director gave speeches at the end about having players keep coming back and keep trying to get better and earn a spot...right after they announced that they had pre-decided before the camp who even got an invite. WHYYYYY would anyone bring their kid back to "try again" when there was no opportunity from the get-go bc it had already been decided? Total scam and not worth your time or money. It was back alley deals and dangerous playground ball. You will do much better to go to college camps.