Fly’s TX TAPPS report card (pre district)

Horsefly

We knew coming in that TAPPS was wanting to make a statement with their OOS and in state scheduling.  IMO their performance would have a big impact on them going forward and attracting better athletes.  

PCA had a good OOS win vs a GA private and slaughtered 6A Wylie 

dunne had two close losses, but one was to 6A Desoto (19-7) that was closer than expected and a win over ECA

liberty Christians dominating win over Brock and competitive game with 4A powerhouse Melissa 

lynch had a close loss (score wise) to John curtis

TC Cedar hill had a solid win over a top 4A Melissa and a win over state ranked D1 Lynch

St Pius beat a 5A (manor) and 6A (Beaumont United)team. 

overall, I’d give them a (A-)  they repped themselves well, surprisingly.  

IMO athletes will consider the private option more now, especially those seeking more playing time without sacrificing quality play. If there is a desire for TX to play more OOS I think it will come from TAPPS.  

this week the top 2 D1 TAPPS square off with prestonwood Christian and St Pius X 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Next two games for St Pius should be interesting. Their QB is something else. They get Dunne after Prestonwood Christian.

I watched a little bit of TC Cedar Hill. They're huge up front on the o line. Almost looked like Allen.

I sometimes wonder if Texas will ever get a true powerhouse private like in some of these other states. Right now they're pretty good, but not elite.

6 minutes ago, Champa said:

Next two games for St Pius should be interesting. Their QB is something else. They get Dunne after Prestonwood Christian.

I watched a little bit of TC Cedar Hill. They're huge up front on the o line. Almost looked like Allen.

I sometimes wonder if Texas will ever get a true powerhouse private like in some of these other states. Right now they're pretty good, but not elite.

If they keep progressing, "yes" I think texas will.  I remember a time when they weren't even "pretty good".   it will be a matter of time before some rich guy pumps money into one of these schools to help create a national power.  

1 minute ago, GardenStateBaller said:

How long have I've be telling you this....

PGL has been in talks with most of the TAPPS schools for over a year. They realize the best way to compete w their power pub competitors is to do the one thing they won't: Schedule exciting OOS games. And this strategy appears to be working. 

What do they tell you their program goals are when you talk to them,?

1 minute ago, GardenStateBaller said:

I've had conf calls with many of them. I've recommended that In order to attract the best players away from the power pubs in their respective areas, they must play high profile OOS games to positively differentiate themselves and offer features and benefits the publics can't or won't do. 

They've been good listeners and have been very receptive to date. Keep an eye on Cornerstone Christian in San Antonio down the road too. 

It it has to be more than roster building, are they wanting to compete nationally like some of these other privates or just be satisified competing for TAPPS titles? 

1 hour ago, Horsefly said:

liberty Christians dominating win over Brock

TAPPS did OK,  and

My man dog can talk some shit. Makes a guy wonder about Newton and all his other babble, and extensive hype...

Allen vs. East 52- 20

DevilDog replied to DevilDog's topic in Varsity Forum

...Brock along with 3A Newton would line up tomorrow and work the best of TAPPS

4 minutes ago, RedZone said:

TAPPS did OK,  and

My man dog can talk some shit. Makes a guy wonder about Newton and all his other babble, and extensive hype...

Allen vs. East 52- 20

This is not about Newton. TAPPS did very well, considering perception was the biggest hurdle for them to overcome.  

15 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

This is not about Newton. TAPPS did very well, considering perception was the biggest hurdle for them to overcome.  

Wasn't about Brock either....but, those two teams come up in every TAPPS thread. smdh

I said TAPPS would do well this year, remember? It's knuckleheads like txball and dog bringing them down in every thread and mocking them. 

37 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Keep an eye on Cornerstone Christian in San Antonio down the road too. 

This team will be out here Thursday to play Paraclete a 2017 California SBG winner.I noticed that CSC plays 7 OOS games this year so you must have a good client on your hands 

Just now, RedZone said:

Wasn't about Brock either....but, those two teams come up in every TAPPS thread. smdh

I said TAPPS would do well this year, remember? It's knuckleheads like txball and dog bringing them down in every thread and mocking them. 

It was about Brock though, they played TAPPS liberty Christian and were demolished.

i like TAPPS, I have no problem with the successes they earn, good on them.  That's why I said perception was their biggest hurdle to overcome, there are a lot of Texans that aren't high on TAPPS and don't respect their level of play. 

2 hours ago, Horsefly said:

We knew coming in that TAPPS was wanting to make a statement with their OOS and in state scheduling.  IMO their performance would have a big impact on them going forward and attracting better athletes.  

PCA had a good OOS win vs a GA private and slaughtered 6A Wylie 

dunne had two close losses, but one was to 6A Desoto (19-7) that was closer than expected and a win over ECA

liberty Christians dominating win over Brock and competitive game with 4A powerhouse Melissa 

lynch had a close loss (score wise) to John curtis

TC Cedar hill had a solid win over a top 4A Melissa and a win over state ranked D1 Lynch

St Pius beat a 5A (manor) and 6A (Beaumont United)team. 

overall, I’d give them a (A-)  they repped themselves well, surprisingly.  

IMO athletes will consider the private option more now, especially those seeking more playing time without sacrificing quality play. If there is a desire for TX to play more OOS I think it will come from TAPPS.  

this week the top 2 D1 TAPPS square off with prestonwood Christian and St Pius X 

Let me correct one thing.  The LC win over small 3A Brock was not dominating at all.

Brock went into the very injured and lost their QB in the 1st Qrt - They played without their Texas A&M committed player - They was also down very solid RB.

Brock started the game with the ball drove right down the field 75 yards with 5 running plays.  On the 5th play the RB is going in for TD and Refs called fumble even though most thought he had crossed the line - the ball went out side of the end zone and was given to LC.

Brock then forces punt after given up 1 first down - they go right back down the field - They end up 4th and inch at the goal line - run QB sneak - the pile falls into the end zone and refs don’t call TD.   - It should have been 14-0 Brock at that point.

next series LC goes 97 yards on 3rd down

later Brock gives up long pass when the ball was severally under thrown and the Brock CB trips coming back for ball 

right before half LC hit long pass - very nice throw and catch vs good coverage

After LC First TD everything in the world went wrong including penalties being called - fumbles you name it went bad.

the game was called at half due to the weather

IMO there is couple of ok private teams.  The vast majority of them play 4A level football and several games proved that.

IMO the private model in TX will not be consistent-  The good teams will be up and down from year to year.  

38 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

It was about Brock though, they played TAPPS liberty Christian and were demolished.

i like TAPPS, I have no problem with the successes they earn, good on them.  That's why I said perception was their biggest hurdle to overcome, there are a lot of Texans that aren't high on TAPPS and don't respect their level of play. 

You know that I respect your opinion.  Brock was not demolished.  I was at this game.

4 minutes ago, Texasball said:

The game was called due to inclement weather with 7:11 left in the third quarter. It’s the second straight week Liberty has been unable to either start or finish a game. Last week’s game against Celina was canceled before it got kicked off.

11 minutes ago, Texasball said:

Let me correct one thing.  The LC win over small 3A Brock was not dominating at all.

Brock went into the very injured and lost their QB in the 1st Qrt - They played without their Texas A&M committed player - They was also down very solid RB.

Brock started the game with the ball drove right down the field 75 yards with 5 running plays.  On the 5th play the RB is going in for TD and Refs called fumble even though most thought he had crossed the line - the ball went out side of the end zone and was given to LC.

Brock then forces punt after given up 1 first down - they go right back down the field - They end up 4th and inch at the goal line - run QB sneak - the pile falls into the end zone and refs don’t call TD.   - It should have been 14-0 Brock at that point.

next series LC goes 97 yards on 3rd down

later Brock gives up long pass when the ball was severally under thrown and the Brock CB trips coming back for ball 

right before half LC hit long pass - very nice through in catch vs good coverage

After LC First TD everything in the world went wrong including penalties being called - fumbles you name it went bad.

IMO there is couple of ok private teams.  The vast majority of them play 4A level football and several games proved that.

IMO the private model in TX will not be consistent-  The good teams will be up and down from year to year.  

Last year LC beat Melissa, who was a strong 4A contender.  Injuries happen, but LC did what they needed to do vs Brock.  TAPPS has come a long way, they weren't able to get wins like this or be competitive even from the weakest of 6A teams. 

What do you think is their model?  

3 minutes ago, Texasball said:

You know that I respect your opinion.  Brock was not demolished.  I was at this game.

Ok, fair enough,  but it's a huge win for them and their win over Melissa last year.  TAPPS is improving significantly and these games will help in attracting players.  I know of a few local kids here in WF that are considering transferring to privates in the DFW. 

• Like 1

Ok, fair enough,  but it's a huge win for them and their win over Melissa last year.  TAPPS is improving significantly and these games will help in attracting players.  I know of a few local kids here in WF that are considering transferring to privates in the DFW. 

I am not saying that they have not improved.  However, IMO the majority of the league is class 4A level.  They do not have any real depth. I don’t believe any of these schools are capable of recruiting up a true state or national power.  Not that it is not possible in Texas.  It has more to do with Privates not being allowed in the UiL.  

I think they have as well.  They progressed enough that I have seen 3 of them.  All decent teams.  T.C. Cedar Hill to me had the best athletes of the bunch and the best of the 3.  I found all 3 to be very well coached.  But it is strange as hell to go to Texas HS game and sat in the stands with 200 people  rooting for a team.  They draw 1A crowds when travelling.  Hell Dunne and Desoto played at the athletic complex in the South and they still didn't draw.  They did well OOS and against the small school powers for the most part.  I don't think TAPPS is better than 4A.  Even with all those athletes and their size Melissa and T.C. was neck and neck and that was a fluke win at the end.  

Prestonwood and St. Pius are supposed to be the top dogs.  I will check out Prestonwood in the next few weeks.  

Beating Melissa is probably the best Victory for TAPPS this year.  

Dunne killed Cornerstone who you can see is becoming a Headache.   Dunne 48 - 0. 

After San Antonio Cornerstone withdrew from TAPPS for all sports right before the start of the football season, Fort Worth All Saints dropped Cornerstone from its schedule. Bishop Dunne will not do the same thing. Bishop Dunne will still host Cornerstone at 7 p.m. Friday. Bishop Dunne coach Michael Johnson said in a text message Tuesday that he was concerned about Cornerstone leaving TAPPS, but that his school had signed a contract for the game before Cornerstone's withdrawal from the private school organization.   Channel 4 News in San Antonio reported that Cornerstone came under fire from local administrators and coaches because of the school's aggressive tactics for trying to add transfers to its athletic programs. TAPPS district officials declared seven of Cornerstone's first eight transfer applicants ineligible because of violations of TAPPS rules, according to Channel 4 News. A 

Cornerstone media advisor Ari Morgenstern told the San Antonio Express-News in Augustthat the school had 400 transfer students, including 19 athletes. Morgenstern said about half of the athletes were football players.

Dunne, No. 3 in SportsDay's large private school area rankings, is 1-2 after Saturday's 19-7 loss to DeSoto, the area's fifth-ranked UIL Class 6A team. Cornerstone is 2-0, with wins over Life Christian Academy from Virginia and Boerne Geneva.

Dunne lost a pair of four-star recruits when wide receiver/defensive back Marquez Beason and his cousin, wide receiver Zeriah Beason, transferred to Duncanville in August. Bishop Dunne has used three quarterbacks -- Matthew Yelverton, Peyton Culberson and Simeon Evans -- and Jabari Khepera leads the team in receiving with 15 catches for 168 yards and two touchdowns.

3 hours ago, RedZone said:

TAPPS did OK,  and

Allen vs. East 52- 20

I'm not your Man and keep me or anything associated with me in the distance.  You don't call me a Nigg--r and ever get to address me about anything.  

You are not from Texas, don't remember you being at any game or seeing any damn team.  Yet you are some damn La. Guru on Texas at all levels.    Strange attraction to say the least and stalkish. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Texasball said:

I am not saying that they have not improved.  However, IMO the majority of the league is class 4A level.  They do not have any real depth. I don’t believe any of these schools are capable of recruiting up a true state or national power.  Not that it is not possible in Texas.  It has more to do with Privates not being allowed in the UiL.  

I really don't think they need to compete with the UIL in general to get where they want to nor do I think they need to target Allen or other kids from top programs.

they can use these games as a recruiting tool along with good academics, the potential to win a TAPPS title, which now has some legitimacy to it.  I think their target are the top players at some of the lesser schools like SGP, Arlington, Hebron.  That regardless of how hard they work will not compete for a UIL 6A title at their current schools.  The worst thing for Desoto is to show that dunne was competitive with them on the field, whether they are actually good or not is not important. Kids stand a better chance winning a title at dunne than at Desoto and won't lose ground on the college recruiting trail. That is the selling point. 

4 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

I really don't think they need to compete with the UIL in general to get where they want to nor do I think they need to target Allen or other kids from top programs.

they can use these games as a recruiting tool along with good academics, the potential to win a TAPPS title, which now has some legitimacy to it.  I think their target are the top players at some of the lesser schools like SGP, Arlington, Hebron.  That regardless of how hard they work will not compete for a UIL 6A title at their current schools.  The worst thing for Desoto is to show that dunne was competitive with them on the field, whether they are actually good or not is not important. Kids stand a better chance winning a title at dunne than at Desoto and won't lose ground on the college recruiting trail. That is the selling point. 

Sir but do you think there will be a repeat of what Dville did to Dunne with their kids leaving and playing with a Public Power.  Still the UIL teams are a big draw.  I said I wanted Dunne to beat Desoto just to see the meltdown and Texas HS Coaches then refusing to play them.  That is one cantankerous bunch to say the least.   By the way I think the Deion Factor and those other NFL Coaches will attract people to T.C. Cedar Hill and of all the teams in DFW they might rise above all of them.  Prestonwood has been pretty good for a while.