What up Texas?

DevilDog

8 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

Why is he at carthage? Just curious as to why he’s not leading a big time texas program that competes nationally. Not saying he isn’t the best coach just wondering why he’s coaching a lower level of football

Riley Dodge hired the OL coach from Carthage when he got the job at Southlake Carroll.  This was great hire and has probably helped SLC tremendously 

4 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Agree, their defense is what I was impressed with the most.  

They impressed me on several levels..  but yes, their defense is pretty impressive with some good players.

Tired of hearing about teams like Servite, JSERRA and Santa Margarita because those three (Trinity League teams) would have a HELL of a time beating teams like Katy Tompkins and Shadow Creek.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

Why is he at carthage? Just curious as to why he’s not leading a big time texas program that competes nationally. Not saying he isn’t the best coach just wondering why he’s coaching a lower level of football

Understand Carthage is paying him about $155K/yr. He’s king in Carthage and in TX circles is just as highly regarded as the better coaches in the bigger classes.   

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Texasfrog said:

They impressed me on several levels..  but yes, their defense is pretty impressive with some good players.

Tired of hearing about teams like Servite, JSERRA and Santa Margarita because those three (Trinity League teams) would have a HELL of a time beating teams like Katy Tompkins and Shadow Creek.

They have an impressive OL too...about 6’3 280 across the line. 

3 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

They have an impressive OL too...about 6’3 280 across the line. 

Their loaded and don't have any major glaring weakness..  

I think they could give North Shore a pretty decent game.

The OOS people on this site probably know very little about Shadow Creek and also don't realize how close Shadow Creek and North Shore to each other.   About 25 minutes apart via Sam Houston Toll.

• Like 1

The OOS people on this site probably know very little about Shadow Creek and also don't realize how close Shadow Creek and North Shore to each other.   About 25 minutes apart via Sam Houston Toll.

Yep.  Their fan bases have been sparring back and forth on Twitter.  Hoping they would have played each other this season.  I believe SC will be 6A in the next alignment. 

• Like 1

Yup and Manvel is loaded this year again and literally only 9 miles from Shadow Creek

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Exactly!  The best football atmosphere in TX is at the smaller classes IMO.  That's the true Friday night lights, small towns pretty much shutting down to attend the games.  

That’s what could never happen in ca. I respect the hell out of that and hope I get to experience one of those games! 

• Like 2

Based on what I do for living - I should probably live in the heart of DFW or the heart of Houston.  You couldn’t pay me enough money to leave my country living.  There is nothing better than grabbing good cup of coffee on chilly morning stepping outside to see several deer 🦌 in the back yard.  Plus we can get wild and crazy in the pool all summer without complaints.

There are a lot of coaches who believe just like me in Texas!

Jeff Traylor coached Gilmer was so respected that he was hired by Charlie Strong at UT...Now he is top assistant at Arkansas after short time at SMU. I will bet money if Jeff ever needs job on the HS level again, he will end up back in East Texas somewhere.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Exactly!  The best football atmosphere in TX is at the smaller classes IMO.  That's the true Friday night lights, small towns pretty much shutting down to attend the games, engaged and enthusiastic fans

One of if not the biggest crowd to ever see game at Longviews field was win Gilmer played Gladewater few years ago in the playoffs. 

I am in Michigan this week...I took my co worker to Gilmer vs Abilene Wylie state championship game several years back at SMU.  He was telling the story about it today at lunch (everyone but me at the table is from Michigan) it’s all ways funny to hear him tell this story —- He was really impressed with the play and crowd size...He thought for the longest time we was watching big schools play and didn’t believe it and made me prove it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

No Texas Teams compete nationally and Carthage arguably is the Best Football program in the State and they produce their share of big time D1 athletes.  He is tucked away in Beast Texas with an abundance of athletes and one of the highest paid coaches in the State and along with Katy are the Best 2 programs in the State regardless of Class. 

I live here and watch a lot of Texas HS Football educate me on the programs that compete against National Teams.  

Katy, LT, N.S. LV, Aledo,  ET, Carthage, SLC, Allen and DV along with Desoto.   I follow them all and I can't remember any of them playing 2 or more so called National teams in a given Year. 

This is why he is in Carthage and he gets as much respect than any 6A Coach or Team.  His facilities and athletes are as good as most 6A programs.   Beast Texas is special in Football within the State of Texas. 

https://www.foxsports.com/southwest/video/1309018179725

3 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

That’s what could never happen in ca. I respect the hell out of that and hope I get to experience one of those games! 

Sir here is an example  Gilmer a 4A power vs. Gladewater in a Playoff game a few years back overflowing Lobo Stadium

Gilmer had 2 4* All Americans one of which Kris Boyd #21 is a DB for the Vikings.  Hyped like heck.  bEast Texas Football is special for small schools.  It is know for being physical smash mouth football and produces the best RBs arguably in the State.   The big Full back/NT for Gladewater Mack was a 4* Recruit at A&M and was the Defensive MVP of the Under Armor All American Game.    They packed over 15K into Longview Lobo Stadium 

You will not find faster kids anywhere in the State. 

1st video of the crowd.  2nd video highlights of the game and you will see the intensity. 

Highlights of the Game. 

• Like 1