What up Texas?

DevilDog

23 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Nope. Any class really.  (I only follow 4A-6A) 

Well my darkhorse before the season is 6-2 (Hebron).  But I had no idea Flower Mound Marcus would be 7-1 at the moment.  I think Hebron is going D2 thankfully as I believe both Lewisville and Marcus are going D1? (I know Lewisville is...not sure on Marcus).

5A -- These Frisco schools are making things complicated.  In D2 the surprising Racoons of Frisco will keep things interesting.

4A -- Forget about it...Argyle and Carthage...pick one. Apparently Argyle's RB (Tito Byce) hurt his knee last night.  Soooo they just put the backup in and he goes for 199.  Argyle has one of the more complete offenses in the state.

I'm sure there are plenty others (FB Marshall in 5A, Tompkins and Acastocita in 6A, and Decatur in 4A can make runs also with a little luck).

3A -- A team from my area to watch (Pilot Point) has a pretty good do-it-all QB and a solid D.  They FINALLY won district for 1st time since 2009 (Yes...they beat Brock).

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Powerball said:

I wish somebody would start a new Texas feed.

I think I can speak for everybody I'm tired of having to dig through this shit that's got it's got 300 pages.🙂

You’ve been posting here for so long you’ve forgotten how to start reading at the last post you read.

• Haha 1

Great article from Ft. Worth Star Telegram on those Terrible Texas Longhorns 

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article236697778.html

Tom Herman era sinks to new low as Texas Longhorns are embarrassed by 3-3 TCU

FORT WORTH
TCU and head coach Gary Patterson basically got the last two Texas coaches fired, so Tom Herman had best watch himself.

Tom, you can lose to LSU. Many a Texas coaches before you perfected losing to Oklahoma, so everyone in the state, and all burnt orange-wearing folks, are numb to that particular outcome.  

You were hired to at least be superior to the purple “cockroach” in Fort Worth. You were hired to be better than Charlie Strong, and that means beating TCU.

The University of Texas should be better than having to rely on just quarterback Sam Ehlinger. He’s a nice college player. We’re not talking about Vince Young here.

A Texas defense that made Kansas look like the New England Patriots one week ago was shredded by a kid who, prior to Saturday, looked like he was one more bad play away from residing on the bench.

On Saturday, TCU freshman Max Duggan passed for 273 yards and two touchdowns; he also ran it 13 times for 72 yards and a touchdown.

“We thought they would try to protect him a little bit and run the ball,” Herman said. “Thought we played the run game pretty well. When he got out of the pocket, he’s a tough guy to catch up to and get down on the ground. He made some unbelievable throws. Hats off.”

On multiple occasions in the second half, Duggan hit long third-down pass plays that should not happen. Completing a few third-and-forevers against Texas is now as irregular as a sunrise.

Against Texas, TCU finally found its best offensive player, receiver Jalen Reagor. He caught a 44-yard touchdown in the second half on a play that followed, of course, an Ehlinger pick.

Of note, after dropping a catchable pass in the first half that looked like it could have been a long touchdown, TCU receiver Taye Barber burned the UT secondary with five catches for 94 yards.

“And that (TCU) defense,” Herman said, “that’s the best defense in our conference.”

Surely he’s not talking about this season. TCU’s defense gave up 41 points to SMU and 49 points to Iowa State.

Whatever momentum UT had from its win over Georgia in the Sugar Bowl in January is all but gone as the reality of another ish season is upon us. Blame injuries, youth and an excessive case of BevoOverratedness. (Webster’s Dictionary is currently considering that as a word for its 2020 edition.)

If Texas was as good as advertised, it should have defeated this version of TCU.

Even with a young defense that, because of injuries, is forced to play too many freshmen in the secondary, Texas should beat TCU.

Now, maybe the game is close, but if Texas is what the brand should represent, it beats TCU. That’s the way college football is designed. In college football, Texas has all of the established advantages, and losing to TCU should not be a regular occurrence.

But TCU keeps beating Texas because, at least head-to-head, the Horned Frogs are better. Five of TCU’s six wins against UT in the Big 12 are by double digits, and its average margin of victory in those wins is 22.8 points.

Tommy Boy Herman may yet work out in Austin, but he’d best be careful. He can lose to LSU or Oklahoma, but losing to TCU has gotten many a coaches before him fired.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DevilDog said:

Great article from Ft. Worth Star Telegram on those Terrible Texas Longhorns 

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article236697778.html

Tom Herman era sinks to new low as Texas Longhorns are embarrassed by 3-3 TCU

FORT WORTH
TCU and head coach Gary Patterson basically got the last two Texas coaches fired, so Tom Herman had best watch himself.

Tom, you can lose to LSU. Many a Texas coaches before you perfected losing to Oklahoma, so everyone in the state, and all burnt orange-wearing folks, are numb to that particular outcome.  

You were hired to at least be superior to the purple “cockroach” in Fort Worth. You were hired to be better than Charlie Strong, and that means beating TCU.

The University of Texas should be better than having to rely on just quarterback Sam Ehlinger. He’s a nice college player. We’re not talking about Vince Young here.

A Texas defense that made Kansas look like the New England Patriots one week ago was shredded by a kid who, prior to Saturday, looked like he was one more bad play away from residing on the bench.

On Saturday, TCU freshman Max Duggan passed for 273 yards and two touchdowns; he also ran it 13 times for 72 yards and a touchdown.

“We thought they would try to protect him a little bit and run the ball,” Herman said. “Thought we played the run game pretty well. When he got out of the pocket, he’s a tough guy to catch up to and get down on the ground. He made some unbelievable throws. Hats off.”

On multiple occasions in the second half, Duggan hit long third-down pass plays that should not happen. Completing a few third-and-forevers against Texas is now as irregular as a sunrise.

Against Texas, TCU finally found its best offensive player, receiver Jalen Reagor. He caught a 44-yard touchdown in the second half on a play that followed, of course, an Ehlinger pick.

Of note, after dropping a catchable pass in the first half that looked like it could have been a long touchdown, TCU receiver Taye Barber burned the UT secondary with five catches for 94 yards.

“And that (TCU) defense,” Herman said, “that’s the best defense in our conference.”

Surely he’s not talking about this season. TCU’s defense gave up 41 points to SMU and 49 points to Iowa State.

Whatever momentum UT had from its win over Georgia in the Sugar Bowl in January is all but gone as the reality of another ish season is upon us. Blame injuries, youth and an excessive case of BevoOverratedness. (Webster’s Dictionary is currently considering that as a word for its 2020 edition.)

If Texas was as good as advertised, it should have defeated this version of TCU.

Even with a young defense that, because of injuries, is forced to play too many freshmen in the secondary, Texas should beat TCU.

Now, maybe the game is close, but if Texas is what the brand should represent, it beats TCU. That’s the way college football is designed. In college football, Texas has all of the established advantages, and losing to TCU should not be a regular occurrence.

But TCU keeps beating Texas because, at least head-to-head, the Horned Frogs are better. Five of TCU’s six wins against UT in the Big 12 are by double digits, and its average margin of victory in those wins is 22.8 points.

Tommy Boy Herman may yet work out in Austin, but he’d best be careful. He can lose to LSU or Oklahoma, but losing to TCU has gotten many a coaches before him fired.

That’s a great write up, and on point

21 hours ago, Frosty4024 said:

Don't worry Longhorns...Y'all are on par with my boys in Boulder who decide that they NEVER want to beat USC...Even when a majority of the advantages we're in CU's favor.

We may never see a NC again in Texas. And it isnt because Texas doesnt have talent.

We lose alot of our best talent OOS almost every year. I mean damn, some of the best WRs I've seen come through Texas the past few years were Garrett Wilson, Demarkus Lodge and Jaxon Smith and they all are going/went OOS. 

Baylor/SMU/TCU/Houston won't ever get the recruits needed to reach high levels of success. Sad because I think the best coaching is actually at these schools.

Then you have A&M and UT tug o warin' the 'leftover' "top" talent in Texas. A lot of campers tbh. Half go to A&M, half go to Texas. And when they get there they do nothing.

UT has been in a culture shock every since Mack thought Swoopes, who did nothing in HS, was the next Vince Young. Defense at Texas has been garbage truck juice for almost a decade.

And A&M? Who honestly trust that place to win a Natty? Their claim to fame was Johnny Manziel, that's about it. Now they have alot of offensive talent coming their way, maybe Jimbo can put a defense on the field to match it but I wouldn't bet on it.

On 10/26/2019 at 2:04 PM, Frosty4024 said:

I was pretty shocked to have seen Pilot Point beat Brock...

I have tried to tell people that even though Brock has been good that there are some proud programs with some history of winning that could knock them off on any given year. In this district ( Pilot Point and Boyd )

Brock better not look past the Boyd Yellowjackets this week!

In 2004 the Boyd team that beat Newton in the class 2A D1 championships game - was one of the biggest small school teams I have seen.  The OL was 6A big!  Seen them up close at practice.

Back in the 80's Pilot Point was playing for state and winning state and beating SLC every year.  

• Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 11:22 AM, Horsefly said:

@Texasball  @Frosty4024  @WulfTangClan Everyone talks about DV, NS, LV, and Katy.  Who do you all see as under the radar teams to keep an eye on for the playoffs? 

D1R1 Fav: Duncanville

IF anyone were to take out D-Ville, I'd say SLC would do it. But Midland Lee is out West doing big things too. 

D1R2 Fav: Allen

Only way Allen doesn't run through this region is if they are tripped up by Klein Oak IMO. Klein Oak is damn good, but we don't know which division they will be in yet. The Woodlands was supposed to be a threat but, let's just say I will never talk them up again. TW has lost all of my trust after this year. 

D1R3 Co Favs: Katy and NS

No secret that this is the deepest region in 6A football. Lot of teams here that are capable. Dickinson, Cy-Fair, Tompkins, Atascocita, Fort Bend Travis, Ridge Point...can't sleep on any of them.

D1R4 Fav: Lake Travis

Judson obviously the biggest threat here. Don't see anyone else coming close to the Cavs even with Card out. 

D2R1 Fav: Denton Guyer

Is Weatherford the Haltom of this year? Will Cedar Hill step up? Summit just beat an undefeated Desoto team, their lone loss being to Cedar Hill. Arlington and Arlington Bowie are right there with each other. Hot take: the team out west to look out for isn't Tascosa, it's El Paso Americas and D1 back Aaron Dumas. Guyer the favorite here, but they are certainly not alone. 

D2R2 Fav: Longview

2nd most competitive region in 6A ball. Several teams worth talking about here but to cut to the chase, Longview and Westfield are on a collision course and holy hell, that will be a good one. Vandegrift, Tomball Memorial, Bridgeland, Temple, Klein Collins and potentially Klein Oak all lurking. Alot of good first round matchups off the bat in this region like Midway @ Longview.

D2R3 Fav: Beaumont West Brook

With the way districts have shaped up in this region, this may be the weakest region in 6A ball. I think Tompkins would have no doubt taken out West Brook this year but they are headed D1. Only team here that a give a chance to take out West Brook is Cy Creek who West Brook beat by 10 in the quarters last year. The crazy thing about this region, is even West Brook still has a chance to go D1. Maybe Humble. 

D2R4 Fav: Westlake

Region 4 a little more deeper in the D2 version. Westlake are heavy favs. But let me tell you, there's a team lurking in this region that have been silent killers whom I believe can give Westlake a game....and it's not Steele. It's Brandeis. Those dudes can play some ball. Schertz Clemens also can't be overlooked. 

3 minutes ago, WulfTangClan said:

IF anyone were to take out D-Ville, I'd say SLC would do it. But Midland Lee is out West doing big things too. 

Only way Allen doesn't run through this region is if they are tripped up by Klein Oak IMO. Klein Oak is damn good, but we don't know which division they will be in yet. The Woodlands was supposed to be a threat but, let's just say I will never talk them up again. TW has lost all of my trust after this year. 

No secret that this is the deepest region in 6A football. Lot of teams here that are capable. Dickinson, Cy-Fair, Tompkins, Atascocita, Fort Bend Travis, Ridge Point...can't sleep on any of them.

Judson obviously the biggest threat here. Don't see anyone else coming close to the Cavs even with Card out. 

Is Weatherford the Haltom of this year? Will Cedar Hill step up? Summit just beat an undefeated Desoto team, their lone loss being to Cedar Hill. Arlington and Arlington Bowie are right there with each other. Hot take: the team out west to look out for isn't Tascosa, it's El Paso Americas and D1 back Aaron Dumas. Guyer the favorite here, but they are certainly not alone. 

2nd most competitive region in 6A ball. Several teams worth talking about here but to cut to the chase, Longview and Westfield are on a collision course and holy hell, that will be a good one. Vandegrift, Tomball Memorial, Bridgeland, Temple, Klein Collins and potentially Klein Oak all lurking. Alot of good first round matchups off the bat in this region like Midway @ Longview.

With the way districts have shaped up in this region, this may be the weakest region in 6A ball. I think Tompkins would have no doubt taken out West Brook this year but they are headed D1. Only team here that a give a chance to take out West Brook is Cy Creek who West Brook beat by 10 in the quarters last year. The crazy thing about this region, is even West Brook still has a chance to go D1. Maybe Humble. 

Region 4 a little more deeper in the D2 version. Westlake are heavy favs. But let me tell you, there's a team lurking in this region that have been silent killers whom I believe can give Westlake a game....and it's not Steele. It's Brandeis. Those dudes can play some ball. Schertz Clemens also can't be overlooked. 

Excellent overview Wulf.  I too hyped woods a lot.  They have been a big let down, then I heard Gulford was released from the team.  Just not a good look for them. 

I like the Brandeis and Midland lee picks, teams definitely to watch 

33 minutes ago, WulfTangClan said:

I am starting to believe that CH may shock some folks in D2

40 minutes ago, WulfTangClan said:

I would like to see Weatherford step up and win 1 playoff game.  They have good offense with really good QB.

The problem is they get one of the Arlington schools in the first round - who is likely to out athlete them!