What up Texas?

DevilDog

North Shore, Shadow Creek, Atascocita load non-district schedule with De La Salle, St. Joseph's Prep and Allen

https://www.vype.com/north-shore-shadow-creek-atascocita-load-non-district-schedule-with-de-la-salle-st-josephs-prep-and-allen

HOUSTON – The opening Saturday of the 2020 season is going to be one to watch.

Start with the defending back-to-back 6A Division I State Champion North Shore Mustangs. The team that has become a power program in Texas will test its snuff against California-power De La Salle in Week 1 at Galena Park ISD Stadium.

"We're excited about that," North Shore coach Jon Kay said. "They've got a national program for a good reason and the success that they've had there speaks for itself. It'll be a good opportunity for us to play a new opponent."

"We were looking for a quality opponent to play and we certainly got that in De La Salle," Kay said.

This story gets better though – that will not be the only game played at Galena Park ISD Stadium that day.

Defending 5A Division I State Champion Shadow Creek will open their first season as a Class 6A program – being aligned into District 23-6A – against Pennsylvania-power St. Joseph's Prep – the defending PIAA Class 6A Champions.

"It'll be interesting, it'll be exciting for our kids, exciting for our fans," Shadow Creek coach Brad Butler said. "Like I said, I'm not real familiar with them but I know looking down their roster there are some familiar names."

St. Joseph's Prep enters the 2020 season seeking the program's third-straight state title and its sixth since 2013.

The deal made between North Shore and Shadow Creek does not include a home-and-home portion, where they would have to travel in 2021.

Instead, North Shore will play Shadow Creek in Week 1 of the 2021 season at Freedom Field.

The other notable non-district game heading into the 2020-2021 seasons is perennial playoff contender and 2016 State Semifinalist Atascocita scheduling a Week 2 meeting with Allen.

"I think it's fun," Atascocita coach Craig Stump said. "I think the kids enjoy it, it's motivating for the offseason and our fans enjoy it. It's a little bit of travel but I think when you're on that level that's what you do. No matter what happens in the game, just the competitive contest is what we're looking for."

Atascocita will travel to Allen for both years in 2020 and 2021, which Stump said Allen will help with. The Eagles have reached at least the third round or farther in the playoffs each season since 2015.

Seeing teams like North Shore and Shadow Creek go outside the box for opponents and then Atascocita hooking horns with Allen, Stump said he likes it wishes more teams around Texas would do that.

"It'd be kind of interesting," he said. "Maybe get San Antonio schools against Houston for example. We're looking forward to it."

Five best nondistrict football games

Southlake Carroll vs. Austin Westlake

Eight-time state champion Southlake Carroll will open the season against a Westlake team that was 15-1 and won the Class 6A Division II state title this past season. The game Aug. 28 at AT&T Stadium will match Carroll coach Riley Dodge against his father, Westlake coach Todd Dodge. Todd was Carroll’s coach when it went 48-0 and won three straight state titles from 2004 to 2006, and Riley was the star quarterback of the 2006 Carroll team that beat Westlake 43-29 in the state final.

DeSoto vs. Converse Judson
DeSoto coach Claude Mathis said this will “be one of the better opening games in the state of Texas” and predicted that Judson will probably be ranked in the top 10 in the state when they meet. Mathis said he wanted to play this game because of the legacy created by former Judson coach D.W. Rutledge, who won four state titles at the school.

Allen vs. Humble Atascocita
Allen has won four of its five state championships in the last eight years. It will be challenged in Week 2 by an Atascocita team that has won 10 or more games in six of the last seven years and is coming off a 12-2 season and regional final appearance. Because Allen and Plano East are no longer in a district together, they will face each other in Week 1.

Aledo vs. Denton Guyer
This Week 2 matchup will feature two teams that both played on the final day of the UIL state championships, with Aledo winning the 5A Division II title and Guyer finishing as the 6A Division II runner-up. Guyer handed Aledo its only loss in 2019, winning a 60-57 thriller that featured 1,164 yards of offense.

Highland Park vs. Rockwall
This will be the fifth consecutive season that these teams have met, but this time it will be in Week 4 instead of the season opener. The last three meetings have been decided by seven points or less, and Rockwall handed Highland Park its only loss during the Scots’ state championship season in 2017. Braedyn Locke will be back at quarterback for Rockwall, and he threw for 569 yards and five touchdowns in a 66-59 loss to Highland Park last season.

Five toughest nondistrict football schedules

Arlington Martin
Austin Lake Travis, Hebron, Midland Lee and Southlake Carroll. After an 11-2 season, Martin will start 2020 with nondistrict games against four teams that have combined to win 18 state championships. Lake Travis and Carroll won 13 games in 2019, with Lake Travis reaching the 6A Division I state semifinals and Carroll’s season ending in a regional final.

Cedar Hill
Rockwall, Arlington and Allen. All three teams won at least nine games in 2019, with Rockwall (12-3) and Allen (11-1) reaching double digits. Cedar Hill has played Allen two of the last three years, losing 23-8 in 2017 and losing 41-28 last season.

Euless Trinity
Arlington Lamar, Austin Westlake and Colleyville Heritage. Last season’s first-round playoff game between Trinity and Lamar was such a thriller — a 37-34 Lamar win — that they will play again in Week 1 in 2020. Three-time state champion Trinity will then go on the road in Week 2 to play Austin Westlake, which won its second state title in 2019.

Rockwall
Cedar Hill, Jesuit, Austin Lake Travis and Highland Park. In the last five years, Rockwall has played a combined 10 nondistrict games against powerhouses Highland Park, Southlake Carroll, Euless Trinity, Denton Ryan and Arlington Martin. Cedar Hill, Lake Travis and Highland Park, which are on the schedule for 2020, have combined to win 15 state championships.

South Oak Cliff
Denton Ryan and Duncanville. SOC gets only two nondistrict games because it’s in a nine-team district, but they will both be doozies. Denton Ryan was the 5A Division I state runner-up, and Duncanville was the 6A Division I state runner-up.

Five toughest districts
District 5-6A
Denton Braswell was one of the feel-good stories in 2019 after making the playoffs for the first time since it opened in 2016. Making the playoffs in 2020, after jumping from 5A-II to 6A, won’t be easy with perennial powers like Allen and Denton Guyer in district. Prosper also made it to the regional finals this past season.

District 11-6A
There’s no doubt this stays as the District of Doom in 6A for another two years. Cedar Hill still has to worry about DeSoto and Mansfield Lake Ridge taking the district crown, but now it has to worry about a dominant Duncanville team and headache of traveling to Waco at least once a season.

District 5A-5 Div. I
Denton Ryan and Frisco Lone Star had already tentatively agreed to play a non-district rematch of last year’s state semifinal game. No need for that anymore. The two were paired together in a nine-team district that includes talented teams like Frisco Independence and The Colony.

District 5A-7 Div. I
Want to know how tough this district is? How about four state titles in the previous four seasons. Highland Park owns three of those, and Longview, dropping down from 6A-II, has the other. McKinney North had the best statsicial offense in the Dallas-area during the regular season a year ago.

District 4A-5 Div. I
Midlothian Heritage and Waxahachie Life are in for a lot of travel the next two seasons and a lot of competition. The two local teams will face off against Waco La Vega, which has made the state title the last two years, as well as Alvarado, Brownwood and Stephenville, all of which pose big challenges.

3 minutes ago, RedZone said:

For the record LSU has been putting up commit billboards on national signing day for 3 or 4 years now....nothing new.

NOLA, Houston, Dallas, Nashville, Atlanta and etc......

Carry on...

Think maybe it started in 2017.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/lsu-football/look-lsu-welcomes-early-signees-billboards-across-country/