What up Texas?

DevilDog

1 hour ago, GoBigBlack said:

If you don’t know Servite’s QB, he was preseason 2nd team all American last season. Quinn Ewers was first team. Noah Fifita was CA sophomore of the year, CA junior of the year, and made multiple all American teams. Not only can he sling it, he ran 21 times against Bosco for 136yds an 3 TDs.

And I might be in love with Jackson Arnold. Said it before the game. But Fifita is a much more competent runner, and with far more weapons at WR than Guyer they’ll spread you out and open up the middle of that defense much more effectively. And that’s a whole different ball game when the offense has a competent running game. 

I’m sure you’ve seen the list of All Americans on the Bosco front. Servite put up 40 on Bosco throwing the ball only 10 times. 300 yards and 5 TDs on the ground against the Bosco front, and 340 yards and 2 TDs against the Mater Dei secondary. 

Arguments can be made for sure, but I don’t see how you can ignore the Westlake defense and how they’d fare not just against an offense like Servite, but any top 15 team with that can run and pass. 

No disrespect intended at all. That’s just what I see.

You're not the only one...

image.png.2c9a4bb9cf6693a59b4395032679d3c7.png

image.png.09e701e97b6f60a2b082108480c4d5fa.png

image.png.2ec4723059989f5e6931273949604a77.png

• Thumbs Down 1

2 hours ago, GoBigBlack said:

If you don’t know Servite’s QB, he was preseason 2nd team all American last season. Quinn Ewers was first team. Noah Fifita was CA sophomore of the year, CA junior of the year, and made multiple all American teams. Not only can he sling it, he ran 21 times against Bosco for 136yds an 3 TDs.

And I might be in love with Jackson Arnold. Said it before the game. But Fifita is a much more competent runner, and with far more weapons at WR than Guyer they’ll spread you out and open up the middle of that defense much more effectively. And that’s a whole different ball game when the offense has a competent running game. 

I’m sure you’ve seen the list of All Americans on the Bosco front. Servite put up 40 on Bosco throwing the ball only 10 times. 300 yards and 5 TDs on the ground against the Bosco front, and 340 yards and 2 TDs against the Mater Dei secondary. 

Arguments can be made for sure, but I don’t see how you can ignore the Westlake defense and how they’d fare not just against an offense like Servite, but any top 15 team with that can run and pass. 

No disrespect intended at all. That’s just what I see.

You make some good fair points. I guess my counter to Servite is unlike MD im not sure they have the trench play that would be needed for a game like Westlake. I could be wrong but on paper it looks like a big advantage for WL OL with 3 P5 lineman vs Servite DL. I could see the big TE having some success in the middle of the field because they're absolutely going to double McMillian. I do worry about the 5'10 QB trying to throw over side the 6'7 Ethan Burke is coming from. But ill be honest I would need to watch a lot more Servite tape to really break it down. Im not saying the couldn't beat Westlake because they certainly have enough talent to do it but on paper I think WL has a little bit more. On paper.

16 hours ago, Horsefly said:

Yes he’s capable of making a one on one play against 3*** Cam Sydney and mater dei isn’t the only national team. Good grief man. Do you understand what is being discussed? 

A big question I would have about Sidney is it's easier to cover when your DL is getting pressure just sending 4 and that really goes for anybody playing DB when you have a defensive line that can speed the QB up. I haven't watched his hudl im sure he can play or else he wouldn't be headed to Cal. How many defensive lines in this country can really speed Westlake and Klubnik up. Not many maybe 2 or 3. Then have the ability to cover in the back end. I think MD would cause WL problems because they match-up really well with them but they not blowing them out like Duncanville. 

I think Westlake takes a step back next season. NS looks like they will be the front runner. I think Guyer will be the D2 favorite headed to next season

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gametyme said:

You make some good fair points. I guess my counter to Servite is unlike MD im not sure they have the trench play that would be needed for a game like Westlake. I could be wrong but on paper it looks like a big advantage for WL OL with 3 P5 lineman vs Servite DL. I could see the big TE having some success in the middle of the field because they're absolutely going to double McMillian. I do worry about the 5'10 QB trying to throw over side the 6'7 Ethan Burke is coming from. But ill be honest I would need to watch a lot more Servite tape to really break it down. Im not saying the couldn't beat Westlake because they certainly have enough talent to do it but on paper I think WL has a little bit more. On paper.

Thanks for the reply, and good luck to your boy on the next level. 

If you do watch any tape I'd be curious to know you're opinion (ask your boy too!). Here are a few bits about the team --

Servite's Mason Graham is the best defensive lineman in CA. McMillan won national player of the year, but the Los Angeles Times just named Mason Graham the Southern California player of the year. On the line with him is a 3 star DT who goes 6'2 305lbs and a sophomore defensive end who goes about 6'3 225lbs. The soph looks like a P5 guy, lower end 3 star recruit IMO. But he's only playing because their team captain, a 6'2 260lb DE who made 1st team all-state as a sophomore, was injured in a car accident in January. He missed the spring "2020 season" and all but a few snaps of this 2021 season. He was missed.

On offense, Graham goes both ways and plays LT. So does the 305lb DT. Of the other three linemen, one is a 3 star and the other two are getting FCS scholarships. So every lineman that plays will be getting a full ride. Westlake's O line is better, still, but you don't rush for 300 yards against St. John Bosco without a very talented offensive line. The Servite line averages 6'2 290lbs, and their shortest and lightest lineman is 6'1 275lbs. Westlake's D line, while tall, goes a little under 230lbs across the board. One DT is listed at 220lbs, the other's weight isn't listed. He looks about 5'10 240lbs or so. Just a guess, the guy next to him is so tall it's hard to tell. The middle of that line is tiny, and it's supported by a LB corps where, correct me if I'm wrong, they average about 190lbs. 

The speed rush on the edge is a concern for anyone, but Servite not only has a passing attack that's in the conversation for best in the country, they are big and physical up front and can pound the ball between the tackles very effectively. They rarely, if ever, run it outside. 

Servite is not just a Fifita to McMillan connection. They are a complete team with a starting defense that, sans Bosco and Mater Dei, gave up nine touchdowns in nine games, including holding #41 Santa Margarita to a field goal in the quarterfinals. They have a 1,000 yard back and four receivers with 500 yards, and one of them isn't 5 star Emmett Moseley. They aren't elite everywhere like some teams, but they're weak nowhere. They are big, strong, fast, and extremely physical. But even if you're talking talent strictly on paper, Servite still holds the advantage. And it's pretty significant. That's why they play the game, though. Unfortunately we don't get to see it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gametyme said:

A big question I would have about Sidney is it's easier to cover when your DL is getting pressure just sending 4 and that really goes for anybody playing DB when you have a defensive line that can speed the QB up. I haven't watched his hudl im sure he can play or else he wouldn't be headed to Cal. How many defensive lines in this country can really speed Westlake and Klubnik up. Not many maybe 2 or 3. Then have the ability to cover in the back end. I think MD would cause WL problems because they match-up really well with them but they not blowing them out like Duncanville. 

I think Westlake takes a step back next season. NS looks like they will be the front runner. I think Guyer will be the D2 favorite headed to next season

Sidney is a tremendous lockdown corner at the high school level. His 3 star rating, IMO, has way more to do with how he projects. I think his ceiling is pretty low, as opposed to a guy like Jackson who is a 195lb corner with sprinter speed. If you asked Mater Dei fans, though, I think they'd all say Sydney was pretty clearly better in coverage. He was just named to the L.A. Times All-Star team, as well, and only one player for each position is chosen. To your point, everything is easier when you have a 4 star player at every position around you. I'd never give up a touchdown pass if I was in the backfield with that line in front of me.

Do you have the numbers on returners for Guyer and NS? Most of the traditional top teams in Texas were down this year, and I saw a lot of young talent on the field this season. If I had to guess, I'd say 6A is gonna be pretty damn good the next few years.

On 12/20/2021 at 4:41 PM, GoBigBlack said:

Sidney is a tremendous lockdown corner at the high school level. His 3 star rating, IMO, has way more to do with how he projects. I think his ceiling is pretty low, as opposed to a guy like Jackson who is a 195lb corner with sprinter speed. If you asked Mater Dei fans, though, I think they'd all say Sydney was pretty clearly better in coverage. He was just named to the L.A. Times All-Star team, as well, and only one player for each position is chosen. To your point, everything is easier when you have a 4 star player at every position around you. I'd never give up a touchdown pass if I was in the backfield with that line in front of me.

Do you have the numbers on returners for Guyer and NS? Most of the traditional top teams in Texas were down this year, and I saw a lot of young talent on the field this season. If I had to guess, I'd say 6A is gonna be pretty damn good the next few years.

Don't have the specific numbers for those schools. I do know Guyer returns the QB Jackson Arnold who is a top 50 ish player nationally in the 23 class. They return both 4 star DBs Ryan Yaites and Peyton Bowen as well as Eli Bowen in the 24 class with P5 offers. I think they're instantly the front runner in D2 next year. As for NS they usually just reload. 5 star Denver Harris will be a huge lose. 

On 12/20/2021 at 4:26 PM, GoBigBlack said:

Thanks for the reply, and good luck to your boy on the next level. 

If you do watch any tape I'd be curious to know you're opinion (ask your boy too!). Here are a few bits about the team --

Servite's Mason Graham is the best defensive lineman in CA. McMillan won national player of the year, but the Los Angeles Times just named Mason Graham the Southern California player of the year. On the line with him is a 3 star DT who goes 6'2 305lbs and a sophomore defensive end who goes about 6'3 225lbs. The soph looks like a P5 guy, lower end 3 star recruit IMO. But he's only playing because their team captain, a 6'2 260lb DE who made 1st team all-state as a sophomore, was injured in a car accident in January. He missed the spring "2020 season" and all but a few snaps of this 2021 season. He was missed.

On offense, Graham goes both ways and plays LT. So does the 305lb DT. Of the other three linemen, one is a 3 star and the other two are getting FCS scholarships. So every lineman that plays will be getting a full ride. Westlake's O line is better, still, but you don't rush for 300 yards against St. John Bosco without a very talented offensive line. The Servite line averages 6'2 290lbs, and their shortest and lightest lineman is 6'1 275lbs. Westlake's D line, while tall, goes a little under 230lbs across the board. One DT is listed at 220lbs, the other's weight isn't listed. He looks about 5'10 240lbs or so. Just a guess, the guy next to him is so tall it's hard to tell. The middle of that line is tiny, and it's supported by a LB corps where, correct me if I'm wrong, they average about 190lbs. 

The speed rush on the edge is a concern for anyone, but Servite not only has a passing attack that's in the conversation for best in the country, they are big and physical up front and can pound the ball between the tackles very effectively. They rarely, if ever, run it outside. 

Servite is not just a Fifita to McMillan connection. They are a complete team with a starting defense that, sans Bosco and Mater Dei, gave up nine touchdowns in nine games, including holding #41 Santa Margarita to a field goal in the quarterfinals. They have a 1,000 yard back and four receivers with 500 yards, and one of them isn't 5 star Emmett Moseley. They aren't elite everywhere like some teams, but they're weak nowhere. They are big, strong, fast, and extremely physical. But even if you're talking talent strictly on paper, Servite still holds the advantage. And it's pretty significant. That's why they play the game, though. Unfortunately we don't get to see it.

I never doubted Servite.  For sure a top 5 team nationally this past season. I was rooting for them over MD no offense to my Mater Dei guys out there lol. 

On 12/20/2021 at 10:35 AM, Gametyme said:

Westlake would had beaten all those teams imo. Guyer was a solid team this year. Not many teams have 3 P5 kids in the secondary allowing them to take more chances and load the box against Westlake. Westlake had 3 P5 offensive lineman 2 P5 WRs and of course Klubnik. So college coaches definitely like Westlake too. They may not flash like Duncanville and NS but they certainly proved to be the best in Texas this year. 

They simply have 40 game win streak beating the best of Texas in the process.  Winning D2, D1, D2 in the process.  

When our playoffs started D2 had the top 2 teams in the DCTF poll.

It has only been 1 year since WL beat NS, I doubt the talent level on either team has changed much in that time.

• Like 1