What up Texas?

DevilDog

16 hours ago, Champa said:

Scanning over the brackets, I hope we get Ryan/Highland Park and Westfield/Duncanville. WF might have their hands full with Klein Collins though.

A real shame Carthage and Gilmer are in the same region. Afraid the 4AD2 playoffs are going to be the most uninteresting thing ever this year.

Both Gilmer and Carthage would be a threat to win either 5A divisions this year.  Look at Midlothian Heritage and Argyle 4A powers dominating 5A and Liberty Hill in their 3rd year in 5A.  Carthage with that defense vs that QB from Gilmer will be huge.  Remember Carthage beat 5A Crosby 2hrs ago with 5 JV players due to Covid.  Crosby was top 5 in 5A.  HP been kicking 6A ass all year in their 1st year from 5A.  Interesting to see how far they go. Argyle is mudstomping 5A.   

• Like 1

Just seen Longview and Lancaster are in the same region as well. I can see a rematch happening.

Guyer definitely has some tough teams to go through, but they can do it. Best team in the state. Watch me jinx them now with that. 

This could finally be FB Marshall's year. No more Aledo in their way. As long as they don't run into some big physical team that can control the tempo of the game.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Champa said:

Just seen Longview and Lancaster are in the same region as well. I can see a rematch happening.

Guyer definitely has some tough teams to go through, but they can do it. Best team in the state. Watch me jinx them now with that. 

This could finally be FB Marshall's year. No more Aledo in their way. As long as they don't run into some big physical team that can control the tempo of the game.

4 of the top 10 teams in 5ADII were 4A powers last year and not one of them won State. But were really good in 4A. Liberty Hill has been top 10 in 5A all 3yrs they moved up and played SOC for the Championship in their 2nd year and was 1 game away their 1st year.. that's really 5 4A type teams.  Carthage dominated 5A Marshall on the road more than Lobo did a few weeks before. 4A Stephenville beat Midlothian Heritage 49 -42. Their only loss. Some good 5A Football in Midlothian..  

Rank School (Record) Week 11 LW
1 Argyle (10-0) W: Carrollton Creekview, 50-24 1
2 Fort Bend Marshall (9-1) W: Dayton, 52-21 2
3 Liberty Hill (9-1) W: San Antonio Pieper, 47-7 3
4 Grapevine (9-1) W: Fort Worth Trimble Tech, 56-0 4
5 Montgomery Lake Creek (10-0) W: Brenham, 54-42 5
6 Midlothian Heritage (9-1) W: Everman, 35-34 6
7 San Antonio Alamo Heights (9-1) W: San Antonio Sam Houston, 57-6 7
8 South Oak Cliff (7-3) W: Dallas Wilson, 38-10 8
9 Melissa (8-2) W: Lucas Lovejoy, 36-35 NR
10 Austin LBJ (8-2) W: Austin Crockett, 49-0 NR
  • Thanks 1

5AD1 Final rankings.  If you think this DIV is head and shoulders over 5ADII. #3 Aledo lost to Parish Episcopal who lost to SOC and barely beat 4A power China Spring.  College Station lost 52 - 27 to 5ADII Lovejoy.  Argyle Smoked them and Melissa knocked them out of top 10 LW.  Melissa beat 4A China Spring at home 42 - 41. 😁

Rank School (Record) Week 11 LW
1 Longview (10-0) W: West Mesquite, 70-0 1
2 Mansfield Timberview (10-0) W: Dallas Adams, 65-6 2
3 Aledo (8-2) W: Fort Worth Brewer, 47-6 3
4 Lancaster (8-2) W: Lufkin, 28-20 4
5 Midlothian (10-0) W: Red Oak, 56-28 5
6 Amarillo Tascosa (9-1) W: Lubbock Coronado, 35-14 6
7 Frisco Reedy (10-0) Idle 7
8 PSJA North (10-0) W: Rio Grande City, 57-0 8
9 Smithson Valley (8-1) W: Seguin, 56-17 9
10 College Station (8-2) W: Pflugerville Hendrickson, 42-14 10

5 hours ago, Champa said:

That team would be Argyle in regards to FB Marshall.  Which is kinda scary because they usually sling it around a bit more.  Now they're more run-heavy with some pretty good RBs.

I swear Rodgers can turn anything to Gold in that area...Until they run into a team that can match them in the trenches...which not many in 5A D-II can.

As for Guyer's road...A little pest from the past called SLC is lurking.  They should handle Highland Park (This isn't those Ryan teams from "those years"...Guyer has depth with their talent).  

Byron Nelson has also been a Thorn in Guyer's side historically should they somehow make it that far...

It won't be as easy for them as it looks...All that said...It's Guyer's region to lose.

Longview will destroy Lancaster...Guyer had thier way with Lancaster up front and Longview is waaay more physical in the trenches.  It SHOULDN'T be close...unless Longview's "History" returns.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Champa said:

Guyer's path to the finals is pretty weak outside of having to play SLC.  They'll face Katy in the finals. Which is a good opponent as well

The top teams are in 6A 1(Duncanville, NS, Westlake)

6 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

Guyer's path to the finals is pretty weak outside of having to play SLC.  They'll face Katy in the finals. Which is a good opponent as well

The top teams are in 6A 1(Duncanville, NS, Westlake)

Actually their path is the strongest overall: HP, Byron nelson, SLC, Desoto, Katy 

Just now, Horsefly said:

All of the ones listed are top 25.  You look at DVs potential line of opponents some of them are much weaker than Desoto and HP

A top 25 team means nothing. What actual chance(Percentage wise)does a team like Byron Nelson, Highland Park, and Desoto have of beating a top 4 Texas team?

In other words

NS

Duncanville

Westlake

Guyer

1 minute ago, steeler01 said:

A top 25 team means nothing. What actual chance(Percentage wise)does a team like Byron Nelson, Highland Park, and Desoto have of beating a top 4 Texas team?

In other words

NS

Duncanville

Westlake

Guyer

Desoto vs the only top 5 team in Texas they played. They also played SFA and were brutally beaten. 

4 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

All of the ones listed are top 25.  You look at DVs potential line of opponents some of them are much weaker than Desoto and HP

Yes, and I don't think I'm claiming they have a tough path either. 

Duncanville only has the final opponent

NS will have Atascocita(Their offense sucks) and Westlake before playing Duncanville. 

Westlake will have NS and Duncanville

Atascocita will have NS, Westlake, and Duncanville

3 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

In other words

NS

Duncanville

Westlake

Guyer

It means something in the overall strength of their path relative to everyone else. Upsets can happen if injuries become an issue: BN, SLC, Desoto can all beat Guyer if they have a key hiccups, they’re not deep.  I think katy will beat them regardless 

Just now, Horsefly said:

BN, SLC, Desoto can all beat Guyer if they have a key hiccups, they’re not deep.  I think katy will beat them regardless 

BN no chance

SLC maybe, but this SLC team is weak. 

Desoto is very average along the LOS. I've watched them 3 times this year, and they're undisciplined and underwhelming.

Katy is easily the best team they'll face. I haven't watched them, but they're always well coached and good along the LOS. Should be a good championship game if they meet. 

Just now, steeler01 said:

Yes, and I don't think I'm claiming they have a tough path either. 

Duncanville only has the final opponent

NS will have Atascocita(Their offense sucks) and Westlake before playing Duncanville. 

Westlake will have NS and Duncanville

Atascocita will have NS, Westlake, and Duncanville

I’m not arguing for WL, NS, DV, I don’t think these teams have the harder path, Guyer does, from week 2 on.

Atascocita will not realistically win anything so I’m not including them. 

1 minute ago, steeler01 said:

BN no chance

SLC maybe, but this SLC team is weak. 

Desoto is very average along the LOS. I've watched them 3 times this year, and they're undisciplined and underwhelming.

Katy is easily the best team they'll face. I haven't watched them, but they're always well coached and good along the LOS. Should be a good championship game if they meet. 

BN almost beast Guyer last year in round 3. Let Jackson Arnold get hurt or is hobbled, Guyer crashes quickly.  They’re the team least able to absorb injuries. 

1 minute ago, Horsefly said:

I’m not arguing for WL, NS, DV, I don’t think these teams have the harder path, Guyer does, from week 2 on.

Atascocita will not realistically win anything so I’m not including them. 

I think NS and Westlake have harder paths. The teams they must beat in consecutive weeks are much tougher than Guyer's path. 

I liken it to how people claim SJB doesn't challenge themselves by playing Good Counsel. Guyer playing Byrson Nelson is like that. Solid  instate team, but not a real threat to a top team. 

5 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

I think NS and Westlake have harder paths. The teams they must beat in consecutive weeks are much tougher than Guyer's path. 

I liken it to how people claim SJB doesn't challenge themselves by playing Good Counsel. Guyer playing Byrson Nelson is like that. Solid  instate team, but not a real threat to a top team. 

Each of the teams do 1 thing well that will challenge Guyer.
 HP: disciplined.

BN: passing game will test secondary.

SL: run game better than last years, good RB behind big OL

Desoto: athleticism 

Katy: overall execution, misdirection 

3 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Each of the teams do 1 thing well that will challenge Guyer.
 HP: disciplined.

BN: passing game will test secondary.

SL: run game better than last years, good RB behind big OL

Desoto: athleticism 

Katy: overall execution, misdirection 

All get beaten by 14+ points. SLC and Katy are their true competition. I think playing Westlake/NS and Duncanville in the final is much tougher. All 3 of those teams would easily dispatch the aforementioned teams