NorCal Report, week of 11/5/18

Cal 14

Fourth installment of the NorCal report.  No major developments, other than indications from a report in the San Jose Mercury News that the CIF is going to disallow any sectional runner-ups from advancing to regional games starting next year.  This would impact the NCS, CCS, and LACS.  The CCS and NCS Open playoffs begin this week, while the other NCS, SJS, and CS brackets continue from last week, although most ranked SJS teams had byes last week.  Designations:  Team (seed, division).

Sac-Joaquin Section

All ranked teams won or had byes.  Only Sheldon's result was a little closer than expected, but not enough for me to drop them any spots.

1.  Folsom (#1, D-I):  Bye last week.  Facing Edison (Stockton) this week.  Road to finals still looks pretty clear.

2.  Monterey Trail (#2, D-I):  Bye last week.  Mustangs get Pitman this week.  Still looking towards potential game with Oak Ridge in the semis.

3.  Capital Christian (#1, D-III):  Bye last week.  Gets Buhach Colony this week.  Could be interesting game, but more curious about potential match-up with Antelope in the semis.

4.  Inderkum (#3, D-II):  Another bye last week.  Plays Downey this week, who blasted a suspension-depleted Grant team (fighting) in the first round.

5.  Del Oro (#1, D-II):  Yes, a bye last week.  Eagles get Tracy, which might actually be semi-interesting, given how they've been playing lately.

6.  Central Catholic (#2, D-II):  Bye last week.  Raiders play Elk Grove this week.  Win that and they'll probably get Inderkum in the semis.

7.  Sheldon (#5, D-I):  Believe it or not, but the Huskies actually played last week.  They beat Modesto by 13, which actually doesn't look particularly great.  Big game with 4th-seeded St. Mary's this week.

8.  Oak Ridge (#4, D-I):  Back to another bye.  Second-round opponent, Turlock, may actually provide a decent challenge for the Trojans.

9.  Placer (#2, D-III):  Bye last week.  Hillmen get Yuba City, which may or may not be interesting.  Looking forward to match-up with undefeated Merced in semis.

North Coast Section

With the NCS Open Division starting, one might say that the plays in this section is truly beginning in earnest.  Given that the Open Division has only two rounds, the winning teams will again have byes next week.

1.  De La Salle (#1, D-Open):  Bye last week.  Spartans begin their search for their 27th consecutive NCS title with a semifinal game against Pittsburg.  Will be interesting to see how well the veer does against a good rush defense for the Pirates.

2.  Liberty (#2, D-Open):  Bye last week.  Lions go for their second straight NCS title (they won D-I last year), starting with a good semifinal game against Clayton Valley Charter.

3.  Clayton Valley Charter (#3, D-Open):  Bye last week.  The Ugly Eagles go for a chance at a NorCal regional game against Liberty.

4.  Pittsburg (#4, D-Open):  Bye last week.  Pirates get their shot against De La Salle this week.  Defensive strength goes up against the Spartan's offensive strength.

5.  Cardinal Newman (#1, D-III):  Bye last week.  Cardinals get Encinal this week, but road to the finals still looks pretty smooth.

6.  Rancho Cotate (#2, D-II):  Cougars actually played last week, but barely broke a sweat in a 48-point rout of Casa Grande.  They probably won't break one against American Canyon this week, either.

7.  Eureka (#2, D-III):  Bye last week.  De Anza this week.  Semifinal game against undefeated Las Lomas looms.

Central Coast Section

Teams completed the final week of the regular season.  The only mild surprise was the lopsided result between St. Francis and Serra.  The top teams in the section were seeded into three open divisions.

1.  St. Francis (#1, D-Open II):  The Lancers blew out rival Serra to with the West Catholic Athletic League outright.  In doing so, they only allowed 23 points during league and showed that their young QB, who took over mid-season due to injury, can pass pretty well.  SF plays Aragon in the first round of the playoffs.

2.  Valley Christian (#2, D-Open II):  The Warrior's position as #2 in the section was solidified with the big Serra loss to St. Francis.  Despite this, it appears that they will still have to win the CCS Open II title outright in order to advance to a NorCal regional as they ended up behind in playoff points to the 2- and 3-seeds of Open D-I and the 2-seed of Open D-III.  An upset in one of the other divisions could still propel VC into a NorCal regional if they fall to St. Francis in the finals of Open II.  Warriors play Christopher in the first round.

3.  Wilcox (#1, D-Open I):  One of only two changes of the entire set of rankings.  Although I do not really believe that the Chargers would repeat their win over Valley Christian from the beginning of the season, I also don't think they'd get completely blown out as Serra has against the section's top two teams.  Wilcox opens the playofs against Piedmont Hills.

4.  Serra (#5, D-Open II):  The Padre situation is a little tough.  The two blowout losses to SF and VC really don't look good at all, but they've scored a number of lopsided wins themselves in league play, as well as played very tough against Pittsburg.  I don't really want to use the term "gave up", but that's sort of how it looks like what happened in those games.  Serra visits Leland for their first-round playoff game.

5.  Menlo-Atherton (#2, D-Open I):  The Bears got the benefit of a funky CCS and Oakland Section rule that doesn't recognize McClymonds as the league champ until after the playoffs complete.  This would have given Palo Alto one more playoff point and the #2 seed of the CCS Open I playoffs.  Instead, M-A tied them, then won a coin-toss.  Bears open up playoffs against Milpitas.

6.  Palma (#1, D-Open III):  The Chieftains beat rival Hollister for a share of the Pacific Coast Athletic League title and the top seed of the CCS Open III playoffs.  While that sounds great, the way the seeds fell puts them in position for a rematch against Aptos (who they beat with a goal line stand two weeks ago) in the semifinals.  Palma plays Pioneer in the first round.

Central Section

Nothing especially interesting happened in the section last week, but at least some teams actually had first round games.

1.  Central (#1, D-I):  Bye last week.  Grizzlies get Edison (Fresno) this week.  Still probably won't be challenged until the finals of CS D-I.

2.  Buchanan (#2, D-I):  The Bears whipped Clovis West, as expected, and take on Arroyo Grande this week.  AG was one of the teams that moved from the Southern Section into the Central in the offseason.

3.  Liberty (#3, D-I):  The Patriots had an easy time with one Clovis school (Clovis North) and get another in the second round (Clovis).  They already hold a big win over the Cougars, who recently lost to Clovis West.

4.  Bakersfield (#4, D-I):  The Drillers had a comfortable win over Clovis East, overall, but yielding 31 points was probably more than they would have liked.  Bullard is the second round opponent, which might be interesting.

5.  Tulare Union (#1, D-II):  Bye last week.  The Tribe get Garces as their first playoff opponent.  TU should not have much difficulty getting to the CS D-II finals.

6.  San Joaquin Memorial (#1, D-III):  Bye last week.  Panthers get San Luis Obispo this week, another SS transfer.

7.  Tulare Western (#2, D-II):  Bye last week.  Mustangs get 6-5 Stockdale as their first playoff opponent.

Overall NorCal Top 10

1.  De La Salle

2.  Folsom

3.  Liberty (Brentwood)

4.  Central

5.  Clayton Valley Charter

6.  Pittsburg

7.  St. Francis

8.  Buchanan

9.  Monterey Trail

10.  Liberty (Bakersfield) 

• Thanks 3
  • Like 1

Seems like CIF ought to give some notice before making that proposed change 

I know 3 NCS teams that would have opted for D1 instead of Opennif they knew runner ups weren’t advancing 

reminds me of ‘04 when CIF eliminates the  regional championships in August after Folsom and DLS did NOT schedule what would have been the best game between them (both finished top 5 in country)

2 minutes ago, Pops said:

Seems like CIF ought to give some notice before making that proposed change 

I know 3 NCS teams that would have opted for D1 instead of Opennif they knew runner ups weren’t advancing 

reminds me of ‘04 when CIF eliminates the  regional championships in August after Folsom and DLS did NOT schedule what would have been the best game between them (both finished top 5 in country)

Sorry, that's for next year.  I'll correct.

Its interesting, Jaime over at PrepNation has the top 5 NorCal like this:

1. De La Salle
  2. Folsom
  3. Central
  4. Liberty
  5. St. Francis

Also interesting that, excepting DLS, he has those five teams over all other CA teams not named: SJB, MD, Cent10, JSerra, Oaks

http://therealprepnation.blogspot.com/2018/11/week-12-prepnation-national-prep.html

• Like 1

On 11/6/2018 at 11:38 AM, PrepGridiron said:

1. De La Salle
  2. Folsom
  3. Central
  4. Liberty
  5. St. Francis

Also interesting that, excepting DLS, he has those five teams over all other CA teams not named: SJB, MD, Cent10, JSerra, Oaks

http://therealprepnation.blogspot.com/2018/11/week-12-prepnation-national-prep.html

Oaks struggling with chaminade ought to eliminate them from Folsom comparisons 

Although I’d hate to admit I’d have MV over at least SF and Liberty 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PrepGridiron said:

1. De La Salle
  2. Folsom
  3. Central
  4. Liberty
  5. St. Francis

Liberty and Central are almost interchangeable.  If the Lions beat CVC, it will probably be how close the game against DLS is that would determine who plays Folsom in the D-1AA game (despite the fact that MoV isn't supposed to be used).  I nearly put St. Francis over Pittsburg, but I'll wait to see how the Pirates do against DLS.  Pitt also has an argument over CVC right now, but again, I'll wait for those results. 

SF looked really good against Serra last weekend.  Any doubts I had about their offense went away.  Defense is really solid.

1 minute ago, Pops said:

Although I’d have to admit I’d have MV over at least SF and Liberty 

Have you seen Oaks play this year?  They totally looked like St. Francis.  Power running game and solid defense. 

12 minutes ago, Cal 14 said:

Liberty and Central are almost interchangeable.  If the Lions beat CVC, it will probably be how close the game against DLS is that would determine who plays Folsom in the D-1AA game (despite the fact that MoV isn't supposed to be used).  I nearly put St. Francis over Pittsburg, but I'll wait to see how the Pirates do against DLS.  Pitt also has an argument over CVC right now, but again, I'll wait for those results. 

SF looked really good against Serra last weekend.  Any doubts I had about their offense went away.  Defense is really solid.

Hopefully canes doesn’t show up to tell us how an 18 point win over St Francis is disappointing 

Do you see SF playing for the D1A SBG?

Seems likely that would be vs SSD2 champ

Just now, Pops said:

Hopefully canes doesn’t show up to tell us how an 18 point win over St Francis is disappointing 

Do you see SF playing for the D1A SBG?

Seems likely that would be vs SSD2 champ

Yes, I think there's an excellent chance of SF being in D-1A.  I think it would take a couple of upsets to propel them into D-1AA.  The Lancers against Liberty, CVC, or Central would all be good games, I think.

• Like 3

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:42 AM, Pops said:

We'll see how good Liberty really is this week. Need them to blow out CVC to justify their undefeated schedule.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Kalven said:

We'll see how good Liberty really is this week. Need them to blow out CVC to justify their undefeated schedule.

Disagree.

Let's say they beat CVC by 4 points.  Assuming that doesn't satisfy you, who would you hold in higher regard? 

Central?  Their schedule is worse than Liberty's.  The Lions have two wins over really good teams.  Central only has one.

CVC, who'd they just have defeated?

Pittsburg, who they beat a couple of weeks ago?

St. Francis?  Good chance they'll see the Lancers in a NorCal regional.

Buchanan?  Lost to Central by double-digits.

Monterey Trail?  Best win is Sheldon.

If they beat CVC, regardless of the score, that would give them three pretty solid victories this season.  Would that mean they automatically become a huge threat to DLS?  Not necessarily, but I don't see any reason why it should question their undefeated season, up to that point.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cal 14 said:

Disagree.

Let's say they beat CVC by 4 points.  Assuming that doesn't satisfy you, who would you hold in higher regard? 

Central?  Their schedule is worse than Liberty's.  The Lions have two wins over really good teams.  Central only has one.

CVC, who'd they just have defeated?

Pittsburg, who they beat a couple of weeks ago?

St. Francis?  Good chance they'll see the Lancers in a NorCal regional.

Buchanan?  Lost to Central by double-digits.

Monterey Trail?  Best win is Sheldon.

If they beat CVC, regardless of the score, that would give them three pretty solid victories this season.  Would that mean they automatically become a huge threat to DLS?  Not necessarily, but I don't see any reason why it should question their undefeated season, up to that point.

Look I understand their no world beaters with a decisive win Sat and I’m not taking anything a away if they struggle to win. I quoted the Mission V comment because a blow out victory over CVC can at least be arguable when mentioning next to the mid tier So Cal teams. Because that’s what Liberty is, mid tier Nor Cal team. 

On 11/6/2018 at 11:42 AM, Cal 14 said:

Didn't St Francis lose their QB ? And  Does the backup look good if that is the case ?

On 11/6/2018 at 11:42 AM, Pops said:

I agree with this!.... I have seen Oaks play this year and I don't see them on the same level as Folsom.... And I don't even like Folsom.... 🙂... We will see tomorrow how they fare against J Serra! I am excited to see that game!

• Like 1

On 11/6/2018 at 2:23 PM, Cal 14 said:

Fourth installment of the NorCal report.  No major developments, other than indications from a report in the San Jose Mercury News that the CIF is going to disallow any sectional runner-ups from advancing to regional games starting next year.  This would impact the NCS, CCS, and LACS.  The CCS and NCS Open playoffs begin this week, while the other NCS, SJS, and CS brackets continue from last week, although most ranked SJS teams had byes last week.  Designations:  Team (seed, division).

Sac-Joaquin Section

All ranked teams won or had byes.  Only Sheldon's result was a little closer than expected, but not enough for me to drop them any spots.

1.  Folsom (#1, D-I):  Bye last week.  Facing Edison (Stockton) this week.  Road to finals still looks pretty clear.

2.  Monterey Trail (#2, D-I):  Bye last week.  Mustangs get Turlock this week.  Still looking towards potential game with Oak Ridge in the semis.

3.  Capital Christian (#1, D-III):  Bye last week.  Gets Buhach Colony this week.  Could be interesting game, but more curious about potential match-up with Antelope in the semis.

4.  Inderkum (#3, D-II):  Another bye last week.  Plays Downey this week, who blasted a suspension-depleted Grant team (fighting) in the first round.

5.  Del Oro (#1, D-II):  Yes, a bye last week.  Eagles get Tracy, which might actually be semi-interesting, given how they've been playing lately.

6.  Central Catholic (#2, D-II):  Bye last week.  Raiders play Elk Grove this week.  Win that and they'll probably get Inderkum in the semis.

7.  Sheldon (#5, D-I):  Believe it or not, but the Huskies actually played last week.  They beat Modesto by 13, which actually doesn't look particularly great.  Big game with 4th-seeded St. Mary's this week.

8.  Oak Ridge (#4, D-I):  Back to another bye.  Second-round opponent, Turlock, may actually provide a decent challenge for the Trojans.

9.  Placer (#2, D-III):  Bye last week.  Hillmen get Yuba City, which may or may not be interesting.  Looking forward to match-up with undefeated Merced in semis.

North Coast Section

With the NCS Open Division starting, one might say that the plays in this section is truly beginning in earnest.  Given that the Open Division has only two rounds, the winning teams will again have byes next week.

1.  De La Salle (#1, D-Open):  Bye last week.  Spartans begin their search for their 27th consecutive NCS title with a semifinal game against Pittsburg.  Will be interesting to see how well the veer does against a good rush defense for the Pirates.

2.  Liberty (#2, D-Open):  Bye last week.  Lions go for their second straight NCS title (they won D-I last year), starting with a good semifinal game against Clayton Valley Charter.

3.  Clayton Valley Charter (#3, D-Open):  Bye last week.  The Ugly Eagles go for a chance at a NorCal regional game against Liberty.

4.  Pittsburg (#4, D-Open):  Bye last week.  Pirates get their shot against De La Salle this week.  Defensive strength goes up against the Spartan's offensive strength.

5.  Cardinal Newman (#1, D-III):  Bye last week.  Cardinals get Encinal this week, but road to the finals still looks pretty smooth.

6.  Rancho Cotate (#2, D-II):  Cougars actually played last week, but barely broke a sweat in a 48-point rout of Casa Grande.  They probably won't break one against American Canyon this week, either.

7.  Eureka (#2, D-III):  Bye last week.  De Anza this week.  Semifinal game against undefeated Las Lomas looms.

Central Coast Section

Teams completed the final week of the regular season.  The only mild surprise was the lopsided result between St. Francis and Serra.  The top teams in the section were seeded into three open divisions.

1.  St. Francis (#1, D-Open II):  The Lancers blew out rival Serra to with the West Catholic Athletic League outright.  In doing so, they only allowed 23 points during league and showed that their young QB, who took over mid-season due to injury, can pass pretty well.  SF plays Aragon in the first round of the playoffs.

2.  Valley Christian (#2, D-Open II):  The Warrior's position as #2 in the section was solidified with the big Serra loss to St. Francis.  Despite this, it appears that they will still have to win the CCS Open II title outright in order to advance to a NorCal regional as they ended up behind in playoff points to the 2- and 3-seeds of Open D-I and the 2-seed of Open D-III.  An upset in one of the other divisions could still propel VC into a NorCal regional if they fall to St. Francis in the finals of Open II.  Warriors play Christopher in the first round.

3.  Wilcox (#1, D-Open I):  One of only two changes of the entire set of rankings.  Although I do not really believe that the Chargers would repeat their win over Valley Christian from the beginning of the season, I also don't think they'd get completely blown out as Serra has against the section's top two teams.  Wilcox opens the playofs against Piedmont Hills.

4.  Serra (#5, D-Open II):  The Padre situation is a little tough.  The two blowout losses to SF and VC really don't look good at all, but they've scored a number of lopsided wins themselves in league play, as well as played very tough against Pittsburg.  I don't really want to use the term "gave up", but that's sort of how it looks like what happened in those games.  Serra visits Leland for their first-round playoff game.

5.  Menlo-Atherton (#2, D-Open I):  The Bears got the benefit of a funky CCS and Oakland Section rule that doesn't recognize McClymonds as the league champ until after the playoffs complete.  This would have given Palo Alto one more playoff point and the #2 seed of the CCS Open I playoffs.  Instead, M-A tied them, then won a coin-toss.  Bears open up playoffs against Milpitas.

6.  Palma (#1, D-Open III):  The Chieftains beat rival Hollister for a share of the Pacific Coast Athletic League title and the top seed of the CCS Open III playoffs.  While that sounds great, the way the seeds fell puts them in position for a rematch against Aptos (who they beat with a goal line stand two weeks ago) in the semifinals.  Palma plays Pioneer in the first round.

Central Section

Nothing especially interesting happened in the section last week, but at least some teams actually had first round games.

1.  Central (#1, D-I):  Bye last week.  Grizzlies get Edison (Fresno) this week.  Still probably won't be challenged until the finals of CS D-I.

2.  Buchanan (#2, D-I):  The Bears whipped Clovis West, as expected, and take on Arroyo Grande this week.  AG was one of the teams that moved from the Southern Section into the Central in the offseason.

3.  Liberty (#3, D-I):  The Patriots had an easy time with one Clovis school (Clovis North) and get another in the second round (Clovis).  They already hold a big win over the Cougars, who recently lost to Clovis West.

4.  Bakersfield (#4, D-I):  The Drillers had a comfortable win over Clovis East, overall, but yielding 31 points was probably more than they would have liked.  Bullard is the second round opponent, which might be interesting.

5.  Tulare Union (#1, D-II):  Bye last week.  The Tribe get Garces as their first playoff opponent.  TU should not have much difficulty getting to the CS D-II finals.

6.  San Joaquin Memorial (#1, D-III):  Bye last week.  Panthers get San Luis Obispo this week, another SS transfer.

7.  Tulare Western (#2, D-II):  Bye last week.  Mustangs get 6-5 Stockdale as their first playoff opponent.

Overall NorCal Top 10

1.  De La Salle

2.  Folsom

3.  Liberty (Brentwood)

4.  Central

5.  Clayton Valley Charter

6.  Pittsburg

7.  St. Francis

8.  Buchanan

9.  Monterey Trail

10.  Liberty (Bakersfield) 

If you don't mind me asking? 

How many Turlocks are there? 

Seeing as both Oak Ridge and The Trail play Turlock? 

3 hours ago, THEOC89 said:

I agree with this!.... I have seen Oaks play this year and I don't see them on the same level as Folsom.... And I don't even like Folsom.... 🙂... We will see tomorrow how they fare against J Serra! I am excited to see that game!

Agreed.  When I watched Oaks Christian, they actually looked just like St. Francis.

3 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

Didn't St Francis lose their QB ? And  Does the backup look good if that is the case ?

Yes, they lost their starting QB midseason.  For the first few games, they tried to bring him along slowly, but they still managed to beat Valley Christian.

However, they unleashed him on Serra and he lit up the Padres for four TDs on 201 yards passing (that's unleashing a QB for St. Francis  :-P).

• Like 1

@Cal 14 Nicely done, as always.

Re: the SJS, the only place I might differ is 4 - 6. I'd probably reverse the order and go CC, DO, Indy.

I say that even though of the 3, Indy is the team I carry the most bias towards. However, until they beat a team the caliber of CC or DO in the playoffs, I just can't rank them above. Especially this season when CC has proven to be quite good and DO looks better than the past couple seasons in which they beat Indy both times.

The reason I'd rank CC above DO is their performance against DLS (no chance DO fares as well IMO). That said, DO's wins over Oak Grove, Amador Valley and Oak Ridge probably gives them an edge over the W's CC has over St. Mary's and Oakdale. So I can see how you went that way.

1 hour ago, ThunderRam said:

@Cal 14 Nicely done, as always.

Re: the SJS, the only place I might differ is 4 - 6. I'd probably reverse the order and go CC, DO, Indy.

I say that even though of the 3, Indy is the team I carry the most bias towards. However, until they beat a team the caliber of CC or DO in the playoffs, I just can't rank them above. Especially this season when CC has proven to be quite good and DO looks better than the past couple seasons in which they beat Indy both times.

The reason I'd rank CC above DO is their performance against DLS (no chance DO fares as well IMO). That said, DO's wins over Oak Grove, Amador Valley and Oak Ridge probably gives them an edge over the W's CC has over St. Mary's and Oakdale. So I can see how you went that way.

Early in the year, I was really hoping that DO could even put at least a scare into Folsom.  However, consecutive games against Grant and Rocklin really made me question them.  Did they have an injury or something?

For CC, the Manteca game spooked me just a little and nothing they did after that really changed that thought.  Oakdale, especially after seeing what Mitty did to them, does not look anywhere near as good as they've been over the last few years.  Yes, the DLS game does look good, but I think that may have had a little to do with the slow start that the Spartan offense had.

Indy is not without a semi-questionable win, either.  They only beat Antelope by 9, but the Titans sort of seem like a team that plays to their opponents' level.  Their loss to Folsom was about the same as was Del Oro, but then, they have a weird loss to Lincoln.  Still, they nearly played Capital Christian even, too, then got pushed by Woodcreek and River Valley.  I want to see what they do against Capital Christian in a rematch next week, if it happens.

Using Oak Ridge as a benchmark?  I don't know.  They sort of look like how Serra has looked in the CCS.  They clobber weaker competition, then when it gets tough, they seem to fold.  That loss to Granite Bay does not look good at all.

Overall, I think SJS D-II is the most even at the top in the section.  Any of the three could very well win it and it would make perfect sense.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Cal 14 said:

Overall, I think SJS D-II is the most even at the top in the section.  Any of the three could very well win it and it would make perfect sense.

According to smashmouthrick's post on the NorCal site, it's also the highest rated playoff bracket in NorCal:

Final playoff bracketing ratings between SJS, NCS and CCS:
SJS D2 32.9
SJS D1 31.25
SJS D3 26.2
NCS D1 25.2
CCS Open D2 24
CCS Open D1 22.4
CCS OpenD3 21.2
NCS D2 13.3
NCS D3 10.3

https://norcalpreps.forums.rivals.com/threads/most-competitive-playoff-division.20143/#post-215027