47% of NJ millennials age 18-34 living with their parents

Bormio

Just now, Bormio said:

That is what a job is for

yeah we got it. When you add in the expense of living in the area in which you are talking about if you are not making over 60k a year you have no shot of moving out. Rents start at about 1500 a month and go from there. You work in the city. Itll cost you a few hundred in getting there per month. Cell phone car insurance car payment. groceries etc etc. NY/Nj one of the highest taxes in the country. Your losing a lot right off the top of your paycheck. Not making an excuse just presenting facts

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HSFBfan said:

yeah we got it. When you add in the expense of living in the area in which you are talking about if you are not making over 60k a year you have no shot of moving out. Rents start at about 1500 a month and go from there. You work in the city. Itll cost you a few hundred in getting there per month. Cell phone car insurance car payment. groceries etc etc. NY/Nj one of the highest taxes in the country. Your losing a lot right off the top of your paycheck. Not making an excuse just presenting facts

Move

• Like 1

Just now, Bormio said:

Millennials seem unwilling to understand that you do not have your parents’ lifestyle from the get-go.  Young people of every generation have struggled to start - then you gradually make a life.  When you start - you part with the perks you grew up with.

No we understand but again the cost of living does not line up with salaries. Houses today are 10x what the average person makes. When my parents bough their house it was about a 2:1 ratio. Maybe a little more. And the ones in our 30s we graduated college in the 2008 recession

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

No we understand but again the cost of living does not line up with salaries. Houses today are 10x what the average person makes. When my parents bough their house it was about a 2:1 ratio. Maybe a little more. And the ones in our 30s we graduated college in the 2008 recession

Depends on the house and the location.  Or rent - just not in the NY metro area.  Fact is, if you are 35 and living with your parents, you are not an adult.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Bormio said:

Depends on the house and the location.  Or rent - just not in the NY metro area.  Fact is, if you are 35 and living with your parents, you are not an adult.

So give me a location where you can make lets say 40k and live comfortably?? Please let me know. Im curious as I am looking to move

Hate to tell you also the trend will continue of people staying home longer...getting married later or not at al....having no kids etc etc

Just now, HSFBfan said:

So give me a location where you can make lets say 40k and live comfortably?? Please let me know. Im curious as I am looking to move

If you are single, you could in Gaffney or even Spartanburg.  The kicker is the word “comfortably”.  You are not going to eat out every night, have $300 of Internet/phone/cable bills every month, etc.  You are going to actually BUDGET!

• Like 1

Just now, Bormio said:

If you are single, you could in Gaffney or even Spartanburg.  The kicker is the word “comfortably”.  You are not going to eat out every night, have $300 of Internet/phone/cable bills every month, etc.  You are going to actually BUDGET!

my bills right now is about 800 a month without rent. So now add what 1000 a month in rent. Plus groceries. So i would need lets say 2300 a month. So thats over 24000 a year in bills and food. 40000 a year in salary would be very tight

3 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

my bills right now is about 800 a month without rent. So now ahead what 1000 a month in rent. Plus groceries. So i would need lets say 2300 a month. So thats over 24000 a year in bills and food. 40000 a year in salary would be very tight

Bills would be less in SC

• Like 1

I am single now.  My take home pay after taxes/retirement contributions/health insurance deductions is probably around $80,000.  I eat out a ton, take a big vacation in the summer, a Colorado ski trip in the winter, and have plenty for charitable contributions.  And I use way too much data on my phone.  When I was repaying student loans (note - not defaulting them) and had a mortgage, I struggled more.  But life is gravy now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bormio said:

I am single now.  My take home pay after taxes/retirement contributions/health insurance deductions is probably around $80,000.  I eat out a ton, take a big vacation in the summer, a Colorado ski trip in the winter, and have plenty for charitable contributions.  And I use way too much data on my phone.  When I was repaying student loans (note - not defaulting them) and had a mortgage, I struggled more.  But life is gravy now.

Yes because your taking hom 80000. If I was taking home 80000 life would be a lot smoother as well. Unfortunately like I said salaries have fallen behind a ton esp when your just starting in a field. 

I know for me I am not interested in what my parents have. Way too much stress involved in it

• Like 1

Just now, HSFBfan said:

Yes because your taking hom 80000. If I was taking home 80000 life would be a lot smoother as well. Unfortunately like I said salaries have fallen behind a ton esp when your just starting in a field. 

I know for me I am not interested in what my parents have. Way too much stress involved in it

I did not start there.  My first year salary in 1987 was $60K total.  And I was paying $12K or more back every year in student loan payments (with no tax deduction).  I had a junk car and an apartment to start.  I did not travel at all.  I have worked hard and accumulated some wealth - and life is more enjoyable.  But very few of us are “comfortable” when we start out.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bormio said:

I did not start there.  My first year salary in 1987 was $60K total.  And I was paying $12K or more back every year in student loan payments (with no tax deduction).  I had a junk car and an apartment to start.  I did not travel at all.  I have worked hard and accumulated some wealth - and life is more enjoyable.  But very few of us are “comfortable” when we start out.

I have never in life at any job since I graduated college have ever made more tha  40000 so you make 60k back in 1987 that's equivalent to 133000 dollars today with inflation. So right now I'm about 100000 dollars behind compared to where you started out. 

So if you can find us a job that pays 133000 dollars to start that would be fantastic considering that is what you started out with when you take inflation into account. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, HSFBfan said:

I have never in life at any job since I graduated college have ever made more tha  40000 so you make 60k back in 1987 that's equivalent to 133000 dollars today with inflation. So right now I'm about 100000 dollars behind compared to where you started out. 

So if you can find us a job that pays 133000 dollars to start that would be fantastic considering that is what you started out with when you take inflation into account. 

I was 29 years old at the time, and had completed medical school and a residency.  The 3 years prior as a resident I made 19K a year and was repaying 9K a year in student loans those 3 years.  But since I just worked and slept, the lack of money was not a problem. 

People do not pay you what you think you are worth.  They pay you what you are worth to them.  If you want more, you either acquire more experience or more skills.  No one just hands you money because you like money.

3 minutes ago, Bormio said:

I was 29 years old at the time, and had completed medical school and a residency.  The 3 years prior as a resident I made 19K a year and was repaying 9K a year in student loans those 3 years.  But since I just worked and slept, the lack of money was not a problem. 

People do not pay you what you think you are worth.  They pay you what you are worth to them.  If you want more, you either acquire more experience or more skills.  No one just hands you money because you like money.

Well yeah I got that but to start off these companies think we are worth 15 dollars an hour or less. Which is absolute peanuts. And in today's world you cant just get your bachelors you need your masters which pushes you more into debt. Having only 15000 or so in student loans today is low. Kids are coming out with 70-100k in student loans. Its a billion dollar disaster that's highly documented. 

But at the end of the day you will continue to see more people stay home until later in life not get married or get married very late. Not have kids. This will be the new normal 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Well yeah I got that but to start off these companies think we are worth 15 dollars an hour or less. Which is absolute peanuts. And in today's world you cant just get your bachelors you need your masters which pushes you more into debt. Having only 15000 or so in student loans today is low. Kids are coming out with 70-100k in student loans. Its a billion dollar disaster that's highly documented. 

But at the end of the day you will continue to see more people stay home until later in life not get married or get married very late. Not have kids. This will be the new normal 

You do not NEED a bachelor’s or master’s degree.  There are plenty of people working as plumbers, heating and air guys, construction guys etc making a very nice living.  College is clearly not for everyone.  Not to say college is not worthwhile, but it is not the only way to make a life.  Just depends what you want to do.

Apparently the reason young people are not having kids is that they are not having sex - at least the news says that.  Not having sex may make getting accused of rape less likely.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Bormio said:

You do not NEED a bachelor’s or master’s degree.  There are plenty of people working as plumbers, heating and air guys, construction guys etc making a very nice living.  College is clearly not for everyone.  Not to say college is not worthwhile, but it is not the only way to make a life.  Just depends what you want to do.

Apparently the reason young people are not having kids is that they are not having sex - at least the news says that.  Not having sex may make getting accused of rape less likely.

I agree you can go to a trades school. Nothing wrong with that. 

You also hit a big nail on the head a lot of us have no clue what we want to do

I'll speak for myself. I got my bachelors never worked out for me. Went back to school. I hate this field I'm in as well. I'm pretty much up shits creek without a paddle

Moving is not so easy when family and homes are involved....basically when kids are supposed to go out and get jobs, the parents have not yet reached 'retirement' age to be able to pick up and go too... the best move as separating a fledgling from their support system is not usually the one chosen when family exists... 

and 'many' of the younger generation already know what their parents has/had is not automatic or even achievable with the same effort here...

The stat is real, and the conditions here are the direct cause...

You could add in some 'illegals' to the stats as they are even larger household groupings, but It does not change much.  And an argument could be made that there is a higher % of slackers today, but that would only be a red herring leading away from the real causes...most are working while living at home.

Of course any case would have to be looked at individually, but taken as a whole...….blaming the kids is mostly off base.

• Like 1

I am sorry - to go to college for 4 years and then move back in with mommy and daddy is generally hard to defend.  There can be exceptions, but generally it represents poor planning, laziness or “failure to launch”.  Usually your parents do not want you there - they have their own lives to live - they spent 20 years raising you with the expectation you would grow up and leave.  There are plenty of jobs now, work two if you have to.  But get out of your parents’ house.

1 hour ago, Bormio said:

I am sorry - to go to college for 4 years and then move back in with mommy and daddy is generally hard to defend.  There can be exceptions, but generally it represents poor planning, laziness or “failure to launch”.  Usually your parents do not want you there - they have their own lives to live - they spent 20 years raising you with the expectation you would grow up and leave.  There are plenty of jobs now, work two if you have to.  But get out of your parents’ house.

move back in? most are commuting to the state and community colleges here....for the ones that even get to go...and the ones that 'go away to 4 year college' are the half that generally don't move back in. 

I get it, what you are saying...but you have not presented a viable solution at all ….to the bitching about conditions that the parties involved don't necessarily have as much control over as you think... 

I have not had this problem, so maybe my view is off....but this is just my impression from what I see going on around me

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Troll said:

move back in? most are commuting to the state and community colleges here....for the ones that even get to go...and the ones that 'go away to 4 year college' are the half that generally don't move back in. 

I get it, what you are saying...but you have not presented a viable solution at all ….to the bitching about conditions that the parties involved don't necessarily have as much control over as you think... 

I have not had this problem, so maybe my view is off....but this is just my impression from what I see going on around me

The viable solution is simple - get a job and get your own place.  Share the costs with a friend if you have to.  It is unhealthy to live with your parents when you are 27 or 28 - and frankly a bit weird.  Other generations seemed to have managed it, and young people have always been without much money.  But they knew how to manage costs (or quickly learned).