47% of NJ millennials age 18-34 living with their parents

Bormio

4 minutes ago, noonereal said:

The  "real fact" is, not only are they an adult but they are a smart adult. 

Why on earth should someone move out of a home that they live in with their parents if they don't need to or want to? 

If all are happy and there is room, it's the healthiest arrangement one can hope to find themselves in.

It extends the life of the parents as they become grandparents, it provides enhanced development for the children, the grandchildren and offers the adults in their prime an environment with less stresses and more opportunities. All research shows 3 generations in the home offers a world of good.

Other than getting laid on a regular basis, I kind of agree with you.

• Haha 3

On 11/30/2018 at 7:22 AM, Bormio said:

The viable solution is simple - get a job and get your own place.  Share the costs with a friend if you have to.  It is unhealthy to live with your parents when you are 27 or 28 - and frankly a bit weird.  Other generations seemed to have managed it, and young people have always been without much money.  But they knew how to manage costs (or quickly learned).

Come on dude, this is just flat out wrong, false, (I'll leave it at that as I am not trying to antagonize)

It is very much the opposite. 

You are confusing your  family or even generational practices with  correctness. There is no such correlation. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rockinl said:

Thats a big issue with you young folks. Youve grown up with a spoiled lifestyle, and you need to understand that WAS NOT YOURS, but PROVIDED FOR YOU.

When I was much younger with 2 kids, for a while I had 2 jobs, went to college part time, and we ate a lot of rice and bologna.

Your generation has ZERO mental toughness.

You are no better, not mentally tougher than anyone in this generation.

Good grief.

Humans, so full of themselves. They never let a fact get in their way. 

11 hours ago, noonereal said:

The  "real fact" is, not only are they an adult but they are a smart adult. 

Why on earth should someone move out of a home that they live in with their parents if they don't need to or want to? 

If all are happy and there is room, it's the healthiest arrangement one can hope to find themselves in.

It extends the life of the parents as they become grandparents, it provides enhanced development for the children, the grandchildren and offers the adults in their prime an environment with less stresses and more opportunities. All research shows 3 generations in the home offers a world of good.

You are describing Jamaica right there. Necessity makes the above work. The thing is, since the early 20th century, the USA has not been like that. 

• Like 1

In the last 10 years I have finished many basements & attics in north NJ.In some cases it was for their married children with kids.Some included full bathrooms & apartment size kitchens or a Murphy Unit.The main reasons are student loans or the parents didn't want them to live far away to a place they can afford.

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:35 PM, HSFBfan said:

I'm sorry you bought at the wrong time 18% is insanity. Interest rates today are what 3-4%

It's not nonsense at all. Average salary is 50000 dollars. Houses by me are 500000 and up. That's 10 times. 

Across the us house prices are 4x that of average salary. Average salary is around 50000. Average house is 200000. 

You have one of the best angles posted in this thread, so I would agree with most of it.  What you lack here is simple, there is a big difference between cost of purchase and cost to operate...

For example...If I gave my kids even just car, as a stundent, they would not be able to afford the insurance, never mind the repairs, upkeep, and gas....with a summer or weekend job.

Similarly if GIVEN a house at graduation, they would not even be able to afford the taxes, never mind the insurance, upkeep and household bills like heat and electricity...

COST of PURCHASE is just the cost to enter the game....when it's a losing position and proposition....most won't mortgage their life, to sit in that position....

Thus the tiny house craze ....eliminates THE largest prohibitor to the homeowner position.....PROPERTY TAX...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Troll said:

You can consider yourself 'lucky' in some respects...in coming from such a place...😏

Troll, it is both good and bad. If the family unit is functional, it is a good thing. It is terrible if it is dysfunctional. I left home for good at 20 because my mother's then husband and I did not get along at all.

It was scary being on my own as the move came out of a "crisis situation" and was not planned. But I was then and still am, a survivor. And I did have some vague idea of what I wanted to do in life (probably more of what I did not want than what I actually wanted). 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Troll, it is both good and bad. If the family unit is functional, it is a good thing. It is terrible if it is dysfunctional. I left home for good at 20 because my mother's then husband and I did not get along at all.

It was scary being on my own as the move came out of a "crisis situation" and was not planned. But I was then and still am, a survivor. And I did have some vague idea of what I wanted to do in life (probably more of what I did not want than what I actually wanted). 

All good points...it's always a mixed bag...good and bad.

Have always said if you do not see 'both' then you do not know what you are looking at...

Thing here in the US, is that the 'culture' has 'influenced' people to believe the downward slope...

Boomers lived a life where mom stayed home and raised the kids...not just accepted in society, but praised....

TAXES forced that from being a reasonable possibility for most....Society was more than willing to play...to beat the Jones's

Enter the 'parentless' both spouse working, dis-functionality and lifestyle for families (great for society no?)

Now it's the kids....they don't even get to own their property first, before being taxed to death, and are supposed to sign away their financial balance sheet and take on massive loans, as required entry to education and the job market...

That 'society' expects others to 'follow their path' of indebted slavery....(or you are 'not responsible' LOLOL)...is fairly moronic...

I mean just look at the OP's ignorance.....most are just as ignorant...

1 hour ago, Troll said:

You have one of the best angles posted in this thread, so I would agree with most of it.  What you lack here is simple, there is a big difference between cost of purchase and cost to operate...

For example...If I gave my kids even just car, as a stundent, they would not be able to afford the insurance, never mind the repairs, upkeep, and gas....with a summer or weekend job.

Similarly if GIVEN a house at graduation, they would not even be able to afford the taxes, never mind the insurance, upkeep and household bills like heat and electricity...

COST of PURCHASE is just the cost to enter the game....when it's a losing position and proposition....most won't mortgage their life, to sit in that position....

Thus the tiny house craze ....eliminates THE largest prohibitor to the homeowner position.....PROPERTY TAX...

All very true statements

7 hours ago, rockinl said:

Well, based on this thread, at least we now know who the irresponsible Mama's boys are.

LOL I must let you know in my case I argued for lower taxes etc. which not only seems the higher priority at issue, but a fix there would probably solve both....

just sayin...(so I guess you would have to factor the Jersey impact for me lol)

I agree with standing on your own as an adult, just think that if the kids can not afford to buy a home in the area (or even state) where they grew up, then they are getting separated from their support systems, financially.....which seems like the wrong way..

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Troll said:

LOL I must let you know in my case I argued for lower taxes etc. which not only seems the higher priority at issue, but a fix there would probably solve both....

I agree with standing on your own as an adult, just think that if the kids can not afford to buy a home in the area (or even state) where they grew up, then they are getting separated from their support systems, financially.....which seems like the wrong way..

I was my own financial support system. 

49 minutes ago, rockinl said:

yeah you can do it, and they can do it too....and they need to...

but they should not have to leave the state...to be able to do it the fiscally responsible way...

pretty much what I am saying...

don't think you should be living in your folks basement when you are 30, but that's a big difference from having a young couple live home to save up for a downpayment etc.  ….there's all different situations, and they can't all be grouped...

As for me, my kids can have a building lot next door and build what they want, or move where they want if it's cheaper...I have basically treated them like adults since they were about 10, and it seems to have worked... we will see what happens, But I doubt they would be happy if they were not independent.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Troll said:

Image result for looking for home gif

• Haha 1

On 12/7/2018 at 7:53 PM, rockinl said:

I have found that the world is populated with two types of people. 

Those that had it tough and think others too should have it tough.

And people who had it tough and think others should not have to suffer and sacrifice as they did. 

No judgement, just my observations. 

• Like 1

On 12/7/2018 at 4:44 PM, Troll said:

Standing as an adult is not about where you live or who you live with.  It is taking personal responsibility  within your chosen path and facing adversity in a prodding deliberate manner not emotionally. 

So, I think we agree on this, 

• Thanks 1

On 12/7/2018 at 9:12 AM, rockinl said:

Well, based on this thread, at least we now know who the irresponsible Mama's boys are.

Who are?

I take this post to mean that those who challenged the OP on this subject you ASSume  were cradled past grade school. 

Would it not be interesting if this were not true? Would it not be interesting to learn that people who practiced the template preferred by the opening poster do not egotistically or selfishly demand others do the same? 

Indeed, this could be very interesting to someone who believes "mama boy's" are the only people who understand the value of multi generational family living  if they had intellectual curiosity. 

2 hours ago, noonereal said:

I have found that the world is populated with two types of people. 

Those that had it tough and think others too should have it tough.

And people who had it tough and think others should not have to suffer and sacrifice as they did. 

No judgement, just my observations. 

"Tough"  is relative. I never said it was tough. It was life when I was young. I joined  the Marine Corps when I was 17. Not being dependent on your parents as an adult used to be normal life, and expected. Americans have become soft and spoiled. 

2 hours ago, noonereal said:

Who are?

I take this post to mean that those who challenged the OP on this subject you ASSume  were cradled past grade school. 

Would it not be interesting if this were not true? Would it not be interesting to learn that people who practiced the template preferred by the opening poster do not egotistically or selfishly demand others do the same? 

Indeed, this could be very interesting to someone who believes "mama boy's" are the only people who understand the value of multi generational family living  if they had intellectual curiosity. 

"the value of multigenerational family living" - sounds like some Berkeley or Harvard gobbledygook.  This is not about multigenerational living - this is about Johnny or Mary not leaving the nest.