47% of NJ millennials age 18-34 living with their parents

Bormio

4 hours ago, rockinl said:

"Tough"  is relative. I never said it was tough. It was life when I was young. I joined  the Marine Corps when I was 17. Not being dependent on your parents as an adult used to be normal life, and expected. Americans have become soft and spoiled. 

One may fairly have the perspective that going to the service is simply substituting big brother for mom and dad. 

Is it not way easier than simply walking out the front door of mom an dad's to face a minimum wage job that you can't live on? 

Heck, I know a couple folks that joined simply because they could not cut it in capitalism. Now they talk like you do and I just smile. 

Anyway, no point in discussing this as it's way to common, way to human,  for folks to think their path is somehow the "better" more valued, more upright, more (insert any adjective that makes one feel good. 

Like I always say. I am a numbers guy and studies make it clear that it's healthier to live as a multi generational family. Plus I know people and how they form their views. 

4 hours ago, rockinl said:

"Tough"  is relative. I never said it was tough. It was life when I was young. I joined  the Marine Corps when I was 17. Not being dependent on your parents as an adult used to be normal life, and expected. Americans have become soft and spoiled. 

I see a few problems with why many Millennials are not moving out of their parents homes and possible solutions..

• Some want to live in the Northeast and the West coast and big Cities like Chicago.  But these areas are just too expensive, especially for people just entering the workforce.   So, if they don't want to live with their parent they can move to a less expensive location, or find roommates if they want to rent.
  • Some have no viable skills or take college majors that don't pay much.  So it might be good for them to learn a trade or take majors like IT, finance, nursing.... not stuff that doesn't pay or has no demand.
  • Young people just don't know how to save or invest like older generations knew.  The biggest new expense seems to be communications.  I've seen some young people spend several hundred to over a thousand dollars a month on new gadgets and communications bills.  Also, many pay a ton on entertainment and designer clothes and such.  Buying Starbucks and eating out all the time is also a money pit.  My parents always brought a bagged lunch to work as do I.  It's less expensive and healthier.
  • Also, many don't know how to invest.  I never went to college and I still am invested in the market, but many to the Millennials don't even have a real savings account.

Just my two cents.  Feel free to disprove me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bormio said:

"the value of multigenerational family living" - sounds like some Berkeley or Harvard gobbledygook.  This is not about multigenerational living - this is about Johnny or Mary not leaving the nest.

You are educated yet you despise education when a study does not  echo your subjective opinion. 

---------------------

What on earth is the harm of not leaving the nest? There is tons of positive in not. 

and for the record, at 17 I was out, see ya latter. There was noting that was gonna keep me around. Yada yada yada... I wound up in college, graduating at 21 but never lived at home after high school graduation. My brother stayed home till the day he married. He was not right, I was not right. There is no correctness in this. He had it easier financially and a little less freedom living at home. That is teh only difference. Am I missing something? (you can't ask me to give you a better opening with that final sentence!!!!!! lol)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ohio said:

Young people just don't know how to save or invest like older generations

BUT, had the older generation been exposed to the same level of prosperity and the same mass media awareness they'd have not learned to save too. 

people have not changed, the stimuli they respond to has. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ohio said:

I see a few problems with why many Millennials are not moving out of their parents homes and possible solutions..

• Some want to live in the Northeast and the West coast and big Cities like Chicago.  But these areas are just too expensive, especially for people just entering the workforce.   So, if they don't want to live with their parent they can move to a less expensive location, or find roommates if they want to rent.
  • Some have no viable skills or take college majors that don't pay much.  So it might be good for them to learn a trade or take majors like IT, finance, nursing.... not stuff that doesn't pay or has no demand.
  • Young people just don't know how to save or invest like older generations knew.  The biggest new expense seems to be communications.  I've seen some young people spend several hundred to over a thousand dollars a month on new gadgets and communications bills.  Also, many pay a ton on entertainment and designer clothes and such.  Buying Starbucks and eating out all the time is also a money pit.  My parents always brought a bagged lunch to work as do I.  It's less expensive and healthier.
  • Also, many don't know how to invest.  I never went to college and I still am invested in the market, but many to the Millennials don't even have a real savings account.

Just my two cents.  Feel free to disprove me.

I am responding not to disprove you but to point out that most adults do not know who there elected government representative is.  Many do not know who the VP is.  My point being that, taken as a whole, we are not a very impressive people as far as taking control of our lives and esp learning how to invest in the market.  

It's a sign of the times and not a sign of people imo.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, noonereal said:

BUT, had the older generation been exposed to the same level of prosperity and the same mass media awareness they'd have not learned to save too. 

So are young people so well off they don’t think they have to save, or are they so poor they can’t pay rent on their own?  I’m so confused .....

Just now, Bormio said:

So are young people so well off they don’t think they have to save, or are they so poor they can’t pay rent on their own?  I’m so confused .....

My guess is that your confusion is intentional. 

You can't win this argument,. You can simply express a belief that is not steeped in fact. Like talking about religion. Things like this should not be, IMHO. 

Still, things are good, Gonzaga just lost and the Jets and Giants won. I had no bets though... in order to bet I have to catch a NJ cell tower because my WIFI is in NY. (outside on porch I can but it was too cold today) Another reason to scrap this ridiculous 50 different states nonsense. 

1 hour ago, World Citizen said:

I am responding not to disprove you but to point out that most adults do not know who there elected government representative is.  Many do not know who the VP is.  My point being that, taken as a whole, we are not a very impressive people as far as taking control of our lives and esp learning how to invest in the market.  

It's a sign of the times and not a sign of people imo.  

Very true, unfortunately.  I don't know why our schools do not teach civics, personal finance, and investments especially since it seems that the investment class is pulling away from wage earners in both income and net worth.  I firmly believe that these subjects should be mandatory at the high school level, and definitely in college.

It seems that many Millennials spend all there money on things that they don't need, or don't comparison shop.  Also, many go to expensive private colleges when a public education would suffice.  Now, don't get me wrong, private colleges are usually better than public ones, but the graduate may be saddled with enormous student debt.   Also, even if they do earn above $100,000 after graduation, many have nothing left to show for it at the end of the fiscal year since they buy on credit and spend everything.  So, even if they know how to invest, they saved nothing and have nothing to invest.  

When I  was young, I didn't know about investing in the markets (for instance, dollar cost averaging in mutual funds) but I did invest in my 401K when I worked at GE and also put any extra money in CDs, and I had a wife and young two sons.  But we were very careful on expenditures, and finally had enough to save up to put a down payment on a starter house.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ohio said:

I don't know why our schools do not teach civics, personal finance, and investments especially since it seems that the investment class is pulling away from wage earners in both income and networth.  I firmly believe that these subjects should be manditory at the high school level, and definetly in college.

Bing bing bing bing bing bing bing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is taught (and how it's taught) is so fuckin ridiculous there is no point in even talking about it. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, noonereal said:

Exactly.  The stimuli has changed.  It's got to a point where people look at there phones or play video games more than they associate with other people.  And this is costly.  For instance, when we were young we did not spend thousands on the newest electronic gadgets or pay 500 plus dollars on phone, cable, or internet bills per month as do many Millennials.  Plus, we made our own coffee at home not buying it for a small fortune at Starbucks. 

1 minute ago, ohio said:

Exactly.  The stimuli has changed.  It's got to a point where people look at there phones or play video games more than they associate with other people.  And this is costly.  For instance, when we were young we did not spend thousands on the newest electronic gadgets or pay 500 plus dollars on phone, cable, or internet bills as do many Millennials.  Plus, we made our own coffee at home not buying it for a small fortune at Starbucks. 

The old glass percolator. Every house had one. 

P0000328121S0027T1.jpg

• Haha 1