Saguaro or Chandler in Geico SC Bowl?

ECHS05

12 hours ago, aZjimbo said:

It's official. Chandler going to represent Az. in Dallas. Chandler chosen over Saguaro because of a higher USAT computer ranking as per the Az Republic.

Final Az rankings as per azcentral.com:

1. Chandler (12-2)

2. Saguaro (14-0)

3. Mountain Pointe (13-1)

Edit:  Must be the USAT - computer rankings aka Massey Ratings (Ken Massey) that they used.  My bad Jim Halley, you had Saguaro ranked. 

It's Massey who F'd Saguaro!  A fricking algorithm chose the state rep.  

4 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Edit:  Must be the USAT - computer rankings aka Massey Ratings (Ken Massey) that they used.  My bad Jim Halley, you had Saguaro ranked. 

It's Massey who F'd Saguaro!  A fricking algorithm chose the state rep.  

I know you were looking for the sabercats to join the party. They went with the 6A team. 

• Like 1

Chandler was the right choice to represent Arizona.

They had 6 wins over top ten teams in Arizona by an average margin of 33 points (final maxpreps state rankings). Saguaro didn't play any of the top 15 ranked teams other than Catalina Foothills which finished 12th in the rankings but was arguably not one of the state's top 20 teams (see below).

Chandler smashed their region (the Premier, considered one of the best in the country) and stomped their way through the 6A playoffs. In region play they blasted Brophy (49-0 at the half), raced out to a big lead on Perry, 44-14 (questionable officiating always effects blowouts - holds the score down - in this state), and rolled up 60+ on Hamilton and Basha. In the playoffs they smoked Desert Vista 62-7 (35-0 in the 1st Quarter) and Perry 62-20 (it was 42-7 at the half and could have been 56-7, see above officiating comment) and handled Mountain Pointe in the final, a very impressive result considering the earlier game between the two. With the exception of Basha, these are among the handful of top teams in the state. And Chandler SMAHSED them all!!! They also handled Red Mountain (admittedly that was the first game of the season), the fourth 6A semi-finalist (along with Chandler, Mountain Pointe, and Perry).

Congrats to Saguaro for a great season but we will never know how they would have fared against the top teams in the state...they didn't play ANY of them.

How would Saguaro do against 5A champion Williams Field, who surprised a lot of 'experts' with the way they handled runner-up Centennial (Peoria) in the title game. How would they do against Centennial (Peoria)? Undoubtedly most of these Saguaro players were on the field when Centennial beat them in 2015 by a score of 41-21. How about against Perry, who scored on everyone they played except Chandler in the 6A semis? Or Chandler or Mountain Pointe? Or Cienega (Vail), who beat Salpointe 51-14 (Saguaro's toughest game was probably the 24-3 semi final win over Salpointe, which by the way beat "#12" Catalina Foothills, 34-7. Salpointe also lost at home to a very marginal (I'm being kind) 6A team, Tucson Magnet, 14-3.

In 2015 Saguaro "played up" twice, against Centennial of Peoria, AZ, and Pinnacle, and were beaten in both. Centennial handled them easily and Saguaro lost on their home field to Pinnacle, 20-12. Just the week before, Pinnacle had lost at home to Chandler, 56-0. That 2015 Saguaro team also rolled to a lower division (and arguably more impressive) championship, going undefeated against their division and winning their playoff games by an average of 33 points. I do believe this 2016 squad was a special team for them (their coach, Jason Mohns, said as much) but the reality is that Saguaro didn't play ANY of the 10 or 15 (or 20) best teams in the state. Saguaro is a top ten team in Arizona, no question. They very well may not be the #2 team and may not even be in the top 5.

Maybe the Florida teams can't commit and we get Chandler vs. Saguaro. That won't happen but would be great. All this having been said,  I'm not sure if Chandler could stay with the top-to-bottom physicality of the Georgia or Florida teams. I plan on catching Grayson vs. Roswell, should be a doozy. I saw St. Thomas Aquinas against Bishop Gorman and am not sure how they lost. Kind of like Centennial (Corona) should have beaten IMG by running out the last minute and kicking a FG.

Last year Chandler played at Bishop Gorman and it was 21-14 in the fourth quarter (Gorman scored twice more in the last 4 minutes) but Gorman was tough on them. Hats off to coach Aguano for his scheduling as the Wolves ALWAYS play top competition (Bishop Gorman, St John Bosco of CA, Centennial of CA, all in the last few years, etc.) They don't just go out of state, they seek out the BEST of the out of state competition.

I would have loved to see Saguaro against ONE top Arizona team...just ONE.

On 12/1/2016 at 2:38 PM, ATLien12x said:

lol you know what's funny? California folks have said Cen10 over Grayson all year because they lost to IMG by a closer margin. 

Now Chandler, that put up 49 and lost by 7 to Cen10 in California, is gonna lose by a lot more to Grayson on a neutral site. 

LOLOL I love how the universe works itself out  

Well, you're praying that will be the casexD

4 hours ago, AZFAN said:

Chandler was the right choice to represent Arizona.

They had 6 wins over top ten teams in Arizona by an average margin of 33 points (final maxpreps state rankings). Saguaro didn't play any of the top 15 ranked teams other than Catalina Foothills which finished 12th in the rankings but was arguably not one of the state's top 20 teams (see below).

Chandler smashed their region (the Premier, considered one of the best in the country) and stomped their way through the 6A playoffs. In region play they blasted Brophy (49-0 at the half), raced out to a big lead on Perry, 44-14 (questionable officiating always effects blowouts - holds the score down - in this state), and rolled up 60+ on Hamilton and Basha. In the playoffs they smoked Desert Vista 62-7 (35-0 in the 1st Quarter) and Perry 62-20 (it was 42-7 at the half and could have been 56-7, see above officiating comment) and handled Mountain Pointe in the final, a very impressive result considering the earlier game between the two. With the exception of Basha, these are among the handful of top teams in the state. And Chandler SMAHSED them all!!! They also handled Red Mountain (admittedly that was the first game of the season), the fourth 6A semi-finalist (along with Chandler, Mountain Pointe, and Perry).

Congrats to Saguaro for a great season but we will never know how they would have fared against the top teams in the state...they didn't play ANY of them.

How would Saguaro do against 5A champion Williams Field, who surprised a lot of 'experts' with the way they handled runner-up Centennial (Peoria) in the title game. How would they do against Centennial (Peoria)? Undoubtedly most of these Saguaro players were on the field when Centennial beat them in 2015 by a score of 41-21. How about against Perry, who scored on everyone they played except Chandler in the 6A semis? Or Chandler or Mountain Pointe? Or Cienega (Vail), who beat Salpointe 51-14 (Saguaro's toughest game was probably the 24-3 semi final win over Salpointe, which by the way beat "#12" Catalina Foothills, 34-7. Salpointe also lost at home to a very marginal (I'm being kind) 6A team, Tucson Magnet, 14-3.

In 2015 Saguaro "played up" twice, against Centennial of Peoria, AZ, and Pinnacle, and were beaten in both. Centennial handled them easily and Saguaro lost on their home field to Pinnacle, 20-12. Just the week before, Pinnacle had lost at home to Chandler, 56-0. That 2015 Saguaro team also rolled to a lower division (and arguably more impressive) championship, going undefeated against their division and winning their playoff games by an average of 33 points. I do believe this 2016 squad was a special team for them (their coach, Jason Mohns, said as much) but the reality is that Saguaro didn't play ANY of the 10 or 15 (or 20) best teams in the state. Saguaro is a top ten team in Arizona, no question. They very well may not be the #2 team and may not even be in the top 5.

Maybe the Florida teams can't commit and we get Chandler vs. Saguaro. That won't happen but would be great. All this having been said,  I'm not sure if Chandler could stay with the top-to-bottom physicality of the Georgia or Florida teams. I plan on catching Grayson vs. Roswell, should be a doozy. I saw St. Thomas Aquinas against Bishop Gorman and am not sure how they lost. Kind of like Centennial (Corona) should have beaten IMG by running out the last minute and kicking a FG.

Last year Chandler played at Bishop Gorman and it was 21-14 in the fourth quarter (Gorman scored twice more in the last 4 minutes) but Gorman was tough on them. Hats off to coach Aguano for his scheduling as the Wolves ALWAYS play top competition (Bishop Gorman, St John Bosco of CA, Centennial of CA, all in the last few years, etc.) They don't just go out of state, they seek out the BEST of the out of state competition.

I would have loved to see Saguaro against ONE top Arizona team...just ONE.

Welcome aboard and solid post.   Chandler > Saguaro    Bingham >  East   certainly debatable...

The primary choice for choosing the Houston rep was the Massey Ratings, USA Today's computer algorithm poll  (Chandler #15, Saguaro #24 currently and Bingham #21, East #23)   That was really my only WTF opinion.   Higher classification was also a factor in choosing the rep, which Chandler clearly owned as well as Bingham.    In our comp poll thread, Saguaro is 4 spots ahead of Chandler, while Bingham is 3 spots ahead of East... that's how close these teams were viewed.   Max Preps uses the identical polls and puts out a compilation poll... had Max Preps been chosen to be used to determine a rep the comp poll (4 polls, 2 algorithm based) it may very well had been Saguaro chosen.     

Of course in 4A, Saguaro will have a weaker sos in AZ... nothing they can do.  They beat Colorado's #1 as well as a pretty good Serra squad (arguably as good as any AZ opponent Chandler played other than Mountain Pointe).  

Let's talk about Mountain Pointe for a brief moment too...  Other than the weird pounding vs. Chandler in week 3, I find their resume not very impressive.   They struggled with teams that probably few on the forum heard of outside of AZ.   Mountain Pointe won a semifinal state playoff game 21-14 vs.  Red Mountain.   Was it really a surprise Chandler won?    

Saguaro was a senior laden team with a large # of FBS recruits that I took notice of early... I became a fan and of course am bummed they aren't repping AZ.   I felt they showed a national presence from the start and nothing can be done with 4A sos.   I also feel Chandler backdoored in based on a win over an opponent that was overrated.   

57 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Welcome aboard and solid post.   Chandler > Saguaro    Bingham >  East   certainly debatable...

The primary choice for choosing the Houston rep was the Massey Ratings, USA Today's computer algorithm poll  (Chandler #15, Saguaro #24 currently and Bingham #21, East #23)   That was really my only WTF opinion.   Higher classification was also a factor in choosing the rep, which Chandler clearly owned as well as Bingham.    In our comp poll thread, Saguaro is 4 spots ahead of Chandler, while Bingham is 3 spots ahead of East... that's how close these teams were viewed.   Max Preps uses the identical polls and puts out a compilation poll... had Max Preps been chosen to be used to determine a rep the comp poll (4 polls, 2 algorithm based) it may very well had been Saguaro chosen.     

Of course in 4A, Saguaro will have a weaker sos in AZ... nothing they can do.  They beat Colorado's #1 as well as a pretty good Serra squad (arguably as good as any AZ opponent Chandler played other than Mountain Pointe).  

Let's talk about Mountain Pointe for a brief moment too...  Other than the weird pounding vs. Chandler in week 3, I find their resume not very impressive.   They struggled with teams that probably few on the forum heard of outside of AZ.   Mountain Pointe won a semifinal state playoff game 21-14 vs.  Red Mountain.   Was it really a surprise Chandler won?    

Saguaro was a senior laden team with a large # of FBS recruits that I took notice of early... I became a fan and of course am bummed they aren't repping AZ.   I felt they showed a national presence from the start and nothing can be done with 4A sos.   I also feel Chandler backdoored in based on a win over an opponent that was overrated.   

golf- Not sure if you remember but before the season I pointed out I was very disappointed in MP's schedule with no OOS games. But despite that they just ran into a extremely hot team in Chandler. Chandler played probably the best overall schedule and being a 6A team I can see why they got the nod over Saguaro. Chandler had more points in the comp poll despite being ranked in one less poll. And Saguaro's schedule will never look that great because they just dominate 4A in Az. I've stated many times that these teams need to take on the best OOS teams as possible to get the respect they want. I believe they are allowed only 2 OOS games but it is time to upgrade the OOS for the top teams.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

They should take Buford if they win along with Grayson and play the 2 West Coast schools 

Please.

Take the next best Florida team.

Unless they want super low ratings and super crappy matchups.

25 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

Can you tell your team to not decline please? Bring some of that hard work and integrity to Texas. 

The team wants to go. It's up to the school administration.

4 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

I hope you mean on the west coast portion... cuz Im not sold on Chandler...

If they put Buford in there like Nolebull said one of the games will stink and be uninteresting.