Track and Field

954gator

Just now, AztecPadre said:

That's crazy.  Dude looked pretty darn good on the football field.  Could have passed up millions for a chance at making maybe hundreds of thousands.  

No idea how much money these guys make in track off endorsements or in the diamond league, but I'm sure they make a decent bit.     

6 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Holloway's 40 yard dash I'd sure like to see right now...  wouldn't be surprised if he ran a sub 4.2. 

They should hook him up at UF, like they did for Christian Coleman a few years back at Tennessee and let him have a rip.   

Coleman murdered that one, but I bet he did a couple takes.   At the combine there’s that crazy pressure.

17 hours ago, 954gator said:

Coleman murdered that one, but I bet he did a couple takes.   At the combine there’s that crazy pressure.

Just last weekend he ran 66 yards (rounded) in 6.5 seconds.   If he chooses when to start not the starter pistol, probably saves about .15 reaction time, so figure if he was running the 66 yard dash in combine 40 setting, my guess he'd run a 6.35 

So now the question how to calculate a 6.35 66 yard dash to a 40 :).   With the 40, less time will be running at a faster speed overall so you can't really use .6096 or a 3.96 40 in this case as just distance formula difference equation.    

5 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Just last weekend he ran 66 yards (rounded) in 6.5 seconds.   If he chooses when to start not the starter pistol, probably saves about .15 reaction time, so figure if he was running the 66 yard dash in combine 40 setting, my guess he'd run a 6.35 

So now the question how to calculate a 6.35 66 yard dash to a 40 :).   With the 40, less time will be running at a faster speed overall so you can't really use .6096 or a 3.96 40 in this case as just distance formula difference equation.    

Yeah but you don't get a starting block in the 40.   If you did all the  times would be a good bit faster IMO.  So much is dependent on that initial grip you get on first drive without blocks.   

15 hours ago, 954gator said:

Yeah but you don't get a starting block in the 40.   If you did all the  times would be a good bit faster IMO.  So much is dependent on that initial grip you get on first drive without blocks.   

Fair point, but really a tough one to gather a guesstimate of a difference.   Let me introduce you to the last white male 100 meter Olympic gold medal winner Allan Wells.   He didn't race in blocks until he was forced to in 1980 by a rule change. 

Check out 1 minute, 2 seconds or so and watch his semis race and pause at any interval from the start of the race to see his start vs. the field.  How odd is that seeing his blocks left behind him, but he was successful... 

A synthetic carpet surface with football cleats designed for lightness and grip can't be that much of an issue imho, but sure it is crucial to get out of the 3 point stance with AWD/4matic setup and not slip and slide and lose adhesion that's for sure.   Coleman's 4.12 run shows what an excellent starter (without blocks) and world class speed and sprinting technique can accomplish.   It's likely Coleman was not even at top mph speed when he crossed the 40 or maybe he just reached it shortly before the finish.    The elites spool up fast but it's the 100 meter dash where you really see the explosiveness of how long those guys can hold that top speed.    Nobody touched Bolt at top speed for longer durations.    His 4.22 recently I would question, but who cares... at one point in his career he probably could have run a 4.12 like Coleman did and perhaps quicker.   Bolt had a quicker start than many fans seem to forget, they think he just had the long legs and cranked it up late.   The truth is he was quite fast from the start and simply held his top speed longer aided by long strides (less steps)... good luck beating that combo.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Fair point, but really a tough one to gather a guesstimate of a difference.   Let me introduce you to the last white male 100 meter Olympic gold medal winner Allan Wells.   He didn't race in blocks until he was forced to in 1980 by a rule change. 

Check out 1 minute, 2 seconds or so and watch his semis race and pause at any interval from the start of the race to see his start vs. the field.  How odd is that seeing his blocks left behind him, but he was successful... 

A synthetic carpet surface with football cleats designed for lightness and grip can't be that much of an issue imho, but sure it is crucial to get out of the 3 point stance with AWD/4matic setup and not slip and slide and lose adhesion that's for sure.   Coleman's 4.12 run shows what an excellent starter (without blocks) and world class speed and sprinting technique can accomplish.   It's likely Coleman was not even at top mph speed when he crossed the 40 or maybe he just reached it shortly before the finish.    The elites spool up fast but it's the 100 meter dash where you really see the explosiveness of how long those guys can hold that top speed.    Nobody touched Bolt at top speed for longer durations.    His 4.22 recently I would question, but who cares... at one point in his career he probably could have run a 4.12 like Coleman did and perhaps quicker.   Bolt had a quicker start than many fans seem to forget, they think he just had the long legs and cranked it up late.   The truth is he was quite fast from the start and simply held his top speed longer aided by long strides (less steps)... good luck beating that combo.  

I think Tyson Gay's top end speed was faster than Bolt's.  Like you stated though, no one can hold their top speed as long as Bolt could.

24 minutes ago, Texasball said:

Matthew Boling from Houston Stark HS 

Just ran Wind legal 200m  20.58 -0.6  

dude is killing it -  went 10.28 100m yesterday wind legal too. 

Quite an athlete... someone to follow for sure.    

@nptb17 raced against this kid, who Anthony Schwartz could not match in time.  

Check out the vertical jump warming up and later in slow motion after the race lol.    They're out there...  :) 

Sad story, but he turned it around and hopefully continues to...  just viewed this for the first time.   Had no idea his story.  

5 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Check out the vertical jump warming up and later in slow motion after the race lol.    They're out there...  :) 

Sad story, but he turned it around and hopefully continues to...  just viewed this for the first time.   Had no idea his story.  

Ran against Tyson Gay as well.  No one could touch Combest in the start.  

Interesting list here... most very recent.  

Noah Lyles VA,  Trentavis Friday NC (10 flat 100),  Michael Norman CA,  Ryan Clark GA, Kelly Willie TX (member of 4x400 Olympic Gold Squad), Boling’s weekend lands him 6th, Bednarek was last year and from WI,  Tyrese Cooper FL,  Jamal Walton (Cayman Islands/Miramar HS FL),  and Raymond Bozmans (CO)   

482A6E3D-08C3-4188-9919-7B678F1FEEA0.png

• Like 1

Guys has anyone ever done what Matthew Boling is doing this year?

#1 100m. 10.22 Wind legal  + 1.3  may run faster by end of year

#1 200m  20.58 wind legal -0.6 May run faster by years end

#1 Long Jump 25’0.5”

#2 400m

plus his 3 relay teams are elite nationally 

4x100.  # 8

4x200  #4

4x400 # 3 

hell he high jumped 6’7” last year

20 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Damn that was in HS?   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Texasball said:

#1 Long Jump 25’0.5”

#2 400m

4x100.  # 8

4x200  #4

4x400 # 3 

That's impressive for sure. 

8 hours ago, Texasball said:

#1 Long Jump 25’0.5”

#2 400m

4x100.  # 8

4x200  #4

4x400 # 3 

Nobody I can think of and not at that level.

Philip Dorsett did the long jump and sprints but couldn’t touch those numbers.  

Tyrese Cooper likes to compete in many events and tried the 800 once, but he’s never attempted a long jump or high jump that I recall in competition.   

Does Boling participate in any other sports?