End of Basketball Season

NYHSFAN33

Tonight the Class AA-Large Class NY Federation Championship game is on between Long Island Lutheran (Long Island, NY) and Christ the King (Queens, NY).  Should be a good one, but LuHi is the favorite.  CTK is capable of pulling it off if they can keep fast break points to a minimum. 

I read that last week Ranney School won the NJ tournament of Champions.  Congratulations to them, I saw them play in person once this season and a few times online, they were a very balanced and talented team.

10 minutes ago, Drummer61 said:

What ever happened to the. GREAT NYC S TEAMS ?? Boys high, Malloy, Tilden and like that...

Boys and Girls every once in a while is good, as is Malloy.  As a matter of fact, Malloy would have a top player in the country in Cole Anthony (Greg Anthony’s son), but he transferred out to play for Oak Hill Academy this year. They were in the city championship last season.  Christ the King is historically a power team as is LuHi.  Both have long, successful traditions in NY basketball.  

4 hours ago, NYHSFAN33 said:

Tonight the Class AA-Large Class NY Federation Championship game is on between Long Island Lutheran (Long Island, NY) and Christ the King (Queens, NY).  Should be a good one, but LuHi is the favorite.  CTK is capable of pulling it off if they can keep fast break points to a minimum. 

I read that last week Ranney School won the NJ tournament of Champions.  Congratulations to them, I saw them play in person once this season and a few times online, they were a very balanced and talented team.

Watching the Glens Falls game on NFHS Network...pretty wild atmosphere. I wouldn't want to be the guy who has to keep track of how many shots Joe Girard III takes but it seems to work out for them.

6 minutes ago, MA Fan said:

Watching the Glens Falls game on NFHS Network...pretty wild atmosphere. I wouldn't want to be the guy who has to keep track of how many shots Joe Girard III takes but it seems to work out for them.

Haha - yeah the kid isn’t shy that’s for sure.  Plays at a small school, but he does have unlimited range.  When he is on it is something special to watch.  Will see how he does when he gets on the floor next year at Syracuse.

NYHS, I know they weren’t necessarily in your neck of the woods, but did you ever see any of those great Niagara Falls teams with Paul Harris from about 13-14 years ago? I’ve seen a lot of great NY teams over the years, but I never saw those NF squads. I know they had a ton of hype and national acclaim at the time, and Harris had a nice career at the Cuse (I actually watched him in an AAU tournament once and he basically thinderdunked all weekend). But I was wondering where you’d put those teams against the other NY teams from around that time, or even now.

44 minutes ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

NYHS, I know they weren’t necessarily in your neck of the woods, but did you ever see any of those great Niagara Falls teams with Paul Harris from about 13-14 years ago? I’ve seen a lot of great NY teams over the years, but I never saw those NF squads. I know they had a ton of hype and national acclaim at the time, and Harris had a nice career at the Cuse (I actually watched him in an AAU tournament once and he basically thinderdunked all weekend). But I was wondering where you’d put those teams against the other NY teams from around that time, or even now.

In 2005, Niagra Falls was the best team in the state.  Not only did they have Paul Harris, they also had Jonny Flynn, who also played at Cuse and was a 1st rd NBA pick.  That backcourt was the best in the state.  Around that time Mt Vernon was also peaking as a program, as they win the Public championship in 04, 06, and 07.  So as far as consistency goes, Mt Vernon at the time was the best Public School program in the state, Niagra Falls was able to top them in 05 for the public school title, but no other years in their run. Not all that surprising considering downstate, metro area teams usually have more consistent talent, but that 05 Niagra Falls team could play with anybody no question. As far as going farther back, Rice HS before their closure was the most consistently dominate force in the state for years when I was growing up, they were pretty much the team to beat most years from a state wide perspective and always had top end talent.

• Thanks 1

Pennsylvania 6A championship tonight, Kennedy Catholic over Pennridge 64-62 in double overtime. Kennedy, from the western edge of the state, moved up after winning the previous three 1A championships, rather controversial due to their pipeline of foreign players. Philly Catholic League went home empty-handed for I believe just the second time since they joined the PIAA.

Some big-boy plays from KC's McDonald's AA Oscar Tshiebwe:

And one the other way, although I thought it was a foul on the replay:

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

On 3/23/2019 at 4:51 PM, MA Fan said:

Not sure if you are still watching or stopped after the big boys wrapped up, but I heard Joe Girard is putting on quite a show in the class B championship going on now.

• Thanks 1

On 3/23/2019 at 12:47 PM, NYHSFAN33 said:

Their guards are nasty.   Glad one’s coming to Fl!

Does Christ the King still have the 7 ft kid that looked 30 as a Freshman. Think he’s a Sophomore this year. Freakish athlete. Rumor last year was he was transferring to Modesto Christian with Jalen Green. Green didn’t end up coming so maybe that’s why he stayed? Not sure, heard conflicting stories. 

4 hours ago, NorCalRuss said:

Does Christ the King still have the 7 ft kid that looked 30 as a Freshman. Think he’s a Sophomore this year. Freakish athlete. Rumor last year was he was transferring to Modesto Christian with Jalen Green. Green didn’t end up coming so maybe that’s why he stayed? Not sure, heard conflicting stories. 

Yes...I believe you mean this kid:

https://247sports.com/Player/Moussa-Cisse-46056433/

he was a Sophomore this season 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DBP66 said:

I saw Mount Vernon get spanked by Kingston in the state semi-finals at New Paltz 2 weeks ago...I thought Kingston had a chance at the states but it didn't happen.

Mt. Vernon had their least talented team in a while.  They were very small and not that impressive this season.  I feel like Stepinac and Iona will keep siphoning off players and the trend will continue.  Once Cimmino retires, that program is going to take a nose dive, as the Catholics / Privates are just waiting to swoop in and scoop up as much talent as possible....just my opinion.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NorCalRuss said:

That’s him. Dude is a potential #1 pick. Stud. And a Soph? 🤷‍♂️

Don’t know what they are feeding kids these days but he is a beast for a sophomore no doubt.  Will see if he stays or ends up at a Prep school where many from NY end up. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, NYHSFAN33 said:

Don’t know what they are feeding kids these days but he is a beast for a sophomore no doubt.  Will see if he stays or ends up at a Prep school where many from NY end up. 

Maybe Prolific Prep in NorCal. That’s where Jalen Green just transferred to. 2 future possible  #1s would be fun to watch! 

10 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Ranney’s Scottie Lewis won the McDonalds dunk contest.     Well he came in second, but he was the best Male dunker lol.   

Kid is an excellent athlete.  Great get by Florida.  If their coaching staff can advance and round out his game he will be a 1st round pick. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYHSFAN33 said:

Kid is an excellent athlete.  Great get by Florida.  If their coaching staff can advance and round out his game he will be a 1st round pick. 

What is he missing IYO?  Only thing I could see from his tape is him needing to beef up.   Again I didn't see any full game tape, but he looks very athletic AND skilled.    I'm trying to temper my expectations, because I thought Kasey Hill was going to be all world out of HS, but it's hard lol.   

7 minutes ago, 954gator said:

What is he missing IYO?  Only thing I could see from his tape is him needing to beef up.   Again I didn't see any full game tape, but he looks very athletic AND skilled.    I'm trying to temper my expectations, because I thought Kasey Hill was going to be all world out of HS, but it's hard lol.   

He has great court vision - he starts hitting that 3 on a consistent basis he has 1st rd pick written all over him. 

• Like 1