Don bosco prep 2019 schedule

HSFBfan

Joe's will be loaded this season. They will at least be as good as they were in 18. They will be big and deep at every spot. I see them losing a LB to transfer and possibly another starter, but they will not miss a beat. If anyone is overlooking them I'd advise against that. Your best shot at beating Joe's will be early on the season. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Canes1975 said:

Ironman, do you know what Don Bosco has coming back this year?

the quarterback four out of five offensive lineman. two-headed monster at running back thunder and lightning. and the old story offensive line coach Chuck granatell is back so it'll definitely be a pound and ground and pound some more running attack. not sure if the kicker graduated but their kickers are always good. not up to speed on the defense but if I caught recall correctly the defense wasn't senior-laden last year. playing St John Bosco and Gonzaga will definitely get them ready for the brutal big North schedule

Bosco returns much of last years team. 

A 3 year starter at QB

3 out 5 return on the online. ( the LT and RG were seniors) 

best RB tandem in the state and most of the receiving core return. 

Defensivley they bring back 9 out of 11 starters so I would expect the D to be pretty stout barring injury. 

Special teams at DBP are always good.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, I AM IRONMAN said:

the quarterback four out of five offensive lineman. two-headed monster at running back thunder and lightning. and the old story offensive line coach Chuck granatell is back so it'll definitely be a pound and ground and pound some more running attack. not sure if the kicker graduated but their kickers are always good. not up to speed on the defense but if I caught recall correctly the defense wasn't senior-laden last year. playing St John Bosco and Gonzaga will definitely get them ready for the brutal big North schedule

Sabella and Chuck could be scary for opponents. Hearing those two names tells me that Bosco will be disciplined. Discipline can take an average team a long way, and a team with some talent all the way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SJR 04 said:

Sabella and Chuck could be scary for opponents. Hearing those two names tells me that Bosco will be disciplined. Discipline can take an average team a long way, and a team with some talent all the way.

Yes...think STA and Bosa saying it was the best coached team he ever went up against

14 hours ago, NJSportsfan10 said:

Bosco returns much of last years team. 

A 3 year starter at QB

3 out 5 return on the online. ( the LT and RG were seniors) 

best RB tandem in the state and most of the receiving core return. 

Defensivley they bring back 9 out of 11 starters so I would expect the D to be pretty stout barring injury. 

Special teams at DBP are always good.

"SOME" of what Bergen Catholic returns

20190404_100947.jpg

19 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

No RB on that list. RJ will be irreplaceable. 

You don't need explosive RB'S when you have that type size up front. Best example is Bosco gets credit for best RB dual, both backs are explosive and talented, but by all accounts your best back was amongst the worse backs in the state last season according to performance. Had he had the line he had his freshman year that resembled the line Bergen has now, he would've rushed for well over 1,300yds. Bergen has serviceable backs and most likely has a game changing back on the way. They will be fine in the running game because their pass game has to be respected and they have the hogs upfront.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Agree somewhat. Still gonna be hard to replace the one RB that accounted for 73% of the team's total rushing yardage (1334 out of 1836 yards) last season. We both know that gameday touches and experience means a lot in these games. May take 2-3 players to get to those type of numbers. Doubt it'll be one. 

I actually agree with both of you..Both are valid points. Experienced big game running back is a huge plus but we all know regardless of the level (especially high school) the O-Line makes the difference but rarely gets the credit. The BC o-line will be very difficult to match up against but I say even with the loss of Booker the success of the team will go thru the defense. A lot of talent and experience on that side of the ball. One other little tidbit--I'm not thrilled our starting QB is playing lacrosse! Other things he should be working on and a torn ACL 4 months before the start of pre-season would be a major problem. Maybe the Angelli era starts sooner rather than later.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Agree somewhat. Still gonna be hard to replace the one RB that accounted for 73% of the team's total rushing yardage (1334 out of 1836 yards) last season. We both know that gameday touches and experience means a lot in these games. May take 2-3 players to get to those type of numbers. Doubt it'll be one. 

Every RB in Joe's backfield was inexperienced with zero game day touches. They were all extremely effective.  You have emphasized experience/returning starters to determine your preseason picks for a very long time, and most times that factor has turned out to be a non factor. Things are different now from the days experience mattered. Many of these kids come in ready to play and excel right away because they reclassedat least 1x. There are kids who will be in 9th grade this fall that are older than Tywone Malone of Bergen Catholic and Audric Estime of St. Joe's who will be juniors this season. Malone is 15 and Audric will not be 16 until October. On the surface they would get the edge on a rising soph or frosh, but in reality the frosh or sophomore is older and more mature. 

4 minutes ago, Mickeybern said:

So SJR you Joe's guys were saying a couple of months ago that you expected a little bit of a pull back after last season but over the last week I sense a change in your expectations. Am I correct? 

Yes, I expect them to be better than I initially thought they'd be. If the QB takes his game to the next level as an "experienced" senior they could have a shot at doing something special. 

32 minutes ago, Mickeybern said:

I actually agree with both of you..Both are valid points. Experienced big game running back is a huge plus but we all know regardless of the level (especially high school) the O-Line makes the difference but rarely gets the credit. The BC o-line will be very difficult to match up against but I say even with the loss of Booker the success of the team will go thru the defense. A lot of talent and experience on that side of the ball. One other little tidbit--I'm not thrilled our starting QB is playing lacrosse! Other things he should be working on and a torn ACL 4 months before the start of pre-season would be a major problem. Maybe the Angelli era starts sooner rather than later.

Jaeden Gould will be the biggest name to come through the BNU Since Peppers. I had the pleasure of speaking with he, Booker, and Malone last week. Gould is a LEGIT 6'2  or taller. Not a program height. His football IQ is super high as well. Before he graduates he'll be built in the mode of Patrick Peterson or Jalen Ramsey. He'll easily clear 210 as a CB. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SJR 04 said:

Jaeden Gould will be the biggest name to come through the BNU Since Peppers. I had the pleasure of speaking with he, Booker, and Malone last week. Gould is a LEGIT 6'2  or taller. Not a program height. His football IQ is super high as well. Before he graduates he'll be built in the mode of Patrick Peterson or Jalen Ramsey. He'll easily clear 210 as a CB. 

interesting insight..the question is with this increase in talent will it stay in BNU? My fear is Booker's move could possibly open the door for further transfers out. Hope not but I do worry.

4 minutes ago, Mickeybern said:

interesting insight..the question is with this increase in talent will it stay in BNU? My fear is Booker's move could possibly open the door for further transfers out. Hope not but I do worry.

Yes, I'm aware that IMG has reached out to multiple kids in the BNU, especially Bergen.

1 minute ago, SJR 04 said:

Yes, I'm aware that IMG has reached out to multiple kids in the BNU, especially Bergen.

i would figure..the 3 you spoke to were probably the top 3 but the one thing that probably doesn't make it a big problem is the distance and dormitory lifestyle. Most parents aren't going accept that for their teenage sons. 

9 minutes ago, Mickeybern said:

i would figure..the 3 you spoke to were probably the top 3 but the one thing that probably doesn't make it a big problem is the distance and dormitory lifestyle. Most parents aren't going accept that for their teenage sons. 

Especially when they don't gain anything from going that far.

Just now, SJR 04 said:

Especially when they don't gain anything from going that far.

yeah I agree..Booker will most likely be the exception instead of the rule..Malone seems like a good kid (gentle giant) and he already has all the offers coming to him (Oklahoma yesterday) and Gould was a known quantity before he even enrolled. Mark my words, won't be surprised if Booker spends 1 year down there and re-enrolls in Oradell. It would be a massive culture shock for an adult let alone a 15 year old.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GardenStateBaller said:

IMG is as relevant as ever. They're actually hosting a hsfb summit this weekend on campus. Coaches and admins from a majority of the Top 100 programs in America will be in attendance. A future national, private league will be the main topic of discussion. PGL is proud to be a category-exclusive sponsor. 

so you are basically a fox in the hen house...you're a talent spotter for IMG in the BNU..man Rabid was right about you

• Haha 1

Just now, GardenStateBaller said:

Just a scheduling resource. Nothing more ;) 

lol..couldn't help myself GSB..I never said they weren't relevant but I do believe that just like any boarding school it will appeal only to a very small portion..it's a lot to ask. it is a fammilial upheaval and one that clearly puts athletics over academics. 

23 minutes ago, Mickeybern said:

lol..couldn't help myself GSB..I never said they weren't relevant but I do believe that just like any boarding school it will appeal only to a very small portion..it's a lot to ask. it is a fammilial upheaval and one that clearly puts athletics over academics. 

With the cost of college today people chasing that scholarship kids and parents as we have seen will do anything. That full ride athletic scholarship is very important 

Just now, HSFBfan said:

With the cost of college today people chasing that scholarship kids and parents as we have seen will do anything. That full ride athletic scholarship is very important 

yes but I think we can all agree that the kids we r talking about are going to be getting those scholarships anyway regardless of where they go to school..IMG is not an option for 99.5% of the kids who play high school ball. Tyler Booker has already been offered by multiple top tier D1 schools.