TX vs. GA. & CA the Carnivore Challenge

DevilDog

15 hours ago, NorCalRuss said:

Guess I shoulda read all posts before responding as the boys have it handled already. Lol. You will prob finish with 4 lbs meat after the trim and cook. There will be some giant chunks of fat that weigh a lot in there. I take all fat cap off and most fat in between point and flat. I smoked 5-6 10-13 lb briskets couple weeks ago. Don’t like them personally but family does. It was bomb in chili. I prefer Tri tip 99-1 if I had a choice to do 100 cooks. 

I’ve done them in pink butcher paper and foil and like butcher paper better but will wrap foil over the butcher paper when done to rest in cooler like mentioned above. Mainly so it’s less messy. 

Picture with bone in it was a arm roast. Tasted just like a brisket and you can prob find much cheaper. Didn’t know about it until it came in our butchered cow bundle. 

6B05B580-8C31-4561-847D-0FA583B149CB.jpeg

FC229671-A5BD-4242-AD83-D92DBFBE6EB7.jpeg

E38D9198-E233-432D-B36B-F71D7C140745.jpeg

19A56E7B-80F8-4278-9EF8-C400B11314F4.jpeg

48D6D99C-B4C9-428A-B2A8-2720D819CB71.jpeg

Good takes. I like brisket alot, but I’ll also go tri tip 99/100 as well. Yes use the pink butcher paper, it’s not bleached like white butcher paper and would be a safer bet in the smoker and with food.

• Like 1

This is what I'm about to prepare to honor The Prophet Yeshua or Isa whichever Semitic tongue you prefer on this Easter Sunday.  I eat the proteins he was allowed to consume.  Went to my favorite Market in Richardson had the butcher cut me some Goat Chops.  Seasoned with Olive oil and Kosher Salt 😁 Black pepper, cumin, smoked paprika, onion and garlic powder.  Will marinate for 2hrs then grill.  Will serve with Persian flat bread as shown along with grilled Aparagus and homemade onion rings.  Goat meat is the healthiest protein.  May peace be upon him.

20200412_170328.jpg

20200412_171221.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I did smoke a brisket at 225 for 7 hours last week. It was good, and I learned some valuable lessons. Leave no fat in the trim. I tried leaving a little, I thought to help keep it juicy, but, all it did was hurt the barking. 

Next time I'll go about 180 and run around 11 hours with a much better trim. 

20200419_195330.thumb.jpg.99085a729d28ecf81147177c08407aa4.jpg

20200419_195738.thumb.jpg.768cd35e302e758b53b8a8aa3ad34081.jpg

20200419_195733.thumb.jpg.ff36d96945d8c1028c1d8c601690596f.jpg

It was good enough that I didn't need to sauce it at all. We ate on it three times. First day just with some baked beans, then we had sandwiches with a little spicy sauce the next time, then on rolls with au jus like French dip subs.

Over all it was fit for human consumption, and I will definitely go at it again soon. Lower and slower.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I did smoke a brisket at 225 for 7 hours last week. It was good, and I learned some valuable lessons. Leave no fat in the trim. I tried leaving a little, I thought to help keep it juicy, but, all it did was hurt the barking. 

It was good enough that I didn't need to sauce it at all. We ate on it three times. First day just with some baked beans, then we had sandwiches with a little spicy sauce the next time, then on rolls with aus ju like French dip subs.

Over all it was fit for human consumption, and I will definitely go at it again soon. Lower and slower.

Son Dey gonna kick you outta Jawjaa.  You broke Jawjaa BBQ laws cooking some Moo but no Oink 😁. Run that brisket to where the point is about 200 degrees.  Pull dat sumabitch.  Wrapped in Foil and then in a heavy towel. Drop dat mofo in a styrofoam cooler and let his ass relax about 2hrs and let Dem juices settle in.  Then break his Bevo smelling ass out of said contraption. Grab a sharp K-Nife, cut across the grain and lay said smoked ringed meat on an eating apparatus and go straight carnivore not to be confused with coronavirus  😁 on his Bovine ass. I'm  sorta an expert was this smoked on an eletric or pellet Grill?  Asking for a friend named Bevo.  What Hops and Barley completed said feast.

#texasbbq 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

To the Grill gang here. I tell you for $8.95 a piece this is one of the best investments.   A drumstick or wings holder from Academy.  No turning chicken.  Just load up and chill.  Works in oven roasting as well.  Holds seasonings better  too.  Will hold 12 of either on each track.  And keeps smoked cleaner.  Easier if you mop or spray doing  smoking.  They. need to invent one of these Mofos for a Brisket. 😎

20200427_195242.jpg

20200427_194957.jpg

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Son Dey gonna kick you outta Jawjaa.  You broke Jawjaa BBQ laws cooking some Moo but no Oink 😁. Run that brisket to where the point is about 200 degrees.  Pull dat sumabitch.  Wrapped in Foil and then in a heavy towel. Drop dat mofo in a styrofoam cooler and let his ass relax about 2hrs and let Dem juices settle in.  Then break his Bevo smelling ass out of said contraption. Grab a sharp K-Nife, cut across the grain and lay said smoked ringed meat on an eating apparatus and go straight carnivore not to be confused with coronavirus  😁 on his Bovine ass. I'm  sorta an expert was this smoked on an eletric or pellet Grill?  Asking for a friend named Bevo.  What Hops and Barley completed said feast.

#texasbbq 

Nah, I did this on my same chargriller pro offset barrel smoker with some split hickory logs. Felt like I had to babysit the heck out of it though and didn't get started until 1 in the afternoon, so, I felt both kinda buzzed and rushed at the end as I had a few IPA's through the cooking process. 

I'm thinking a pellet smoker would be great for doing something that takes so long to do, but, I'm only working with a couple of offset smokers, so I hafta put the work in keeping the fire right. 

Drank water with the meal. Had too many IPAs while cooking. xD

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Nah, I did this on my same chargriller pro offset barrel smoker with some split hickory logs. Felt like I had to babysit the heck out of it though and didn't get started until 1 in the afternoon, so, I felt both kinda buzzed and rushed at the end as I had a few IPA's through the cooking process. 

I'm thinking a pellet smoker would be great for doing something that takes so long to do, but, I'm only working with a couple of offset smokers, so I hafta put the work in keeping the fire right. 

Drank water with the meal. Had too many IPAs while cooking. xD

Time frame for a brisket can be an issue. Seems like  I’m about 10-14 hours. Thrown a few in at 0100 hours to make sure I’d have it down the next day. I prefer 225-250 range for brisket.I went to a bbq class this past January  and was surprised that a lot of guys did prefer 275+ for their pits. These were pro completion guys and the main reason was time constraints with turn ins. But most said they go that high at home too. Guys like Myron Mixon prefer hot and fast around 300 degrees for brisket

Offset is good for brisket or anything else. I had 2 offset drums and my father in law gave me his Weber Smokey Mountain. I held out for about a year before I used it. Now I will never go back. The WSM is awesome. I’m not a pellet fan (not there there’s anything wrong with them) I just like working a fire. The WSM holds temp awesome and is pretty close to set and forget when you get it down and regulated. I do know what you mean about having to babysit it.

Look at it this way. You got to play with fire, you cooked a carcass and you sucked down some IPA’s, that’s a good day.

• Like 2

Yeah, I pretty much didn't do anything that anyone on here said I should do with that one. xD

7 hours at 225 and the internal was 185. I didn't have time to wrap and rest or crutch or any of that. We ate at 8 sharp after starting with a hot smoker at 1. 

It was pretty juicy and it was actually pretty tender in spite of all that, but, I was thinking longer and lower would make it more tender than it was. 

All in all, I felt good about my first attempt. I didn't waste a 40 dollar hunk of meat and 20 dollars worth of hickory. That was the biggest fear for me to try a brisket was the cost if I totally screwed it up. Like I said the main regret was in the trim that I feel like hurt the barking where fat was left on the outside. Live and learn I reckon. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, I AM IRONMAN said:

God dayyyum you sumbitches down right killing me! If you look in the dictionary under meat and potatoes you will find a photo of me.  I would have been a great caveman..dragging a sabertooth tiger back to the fire

😂😂

Hell I love meat and potatoes too, but the Mick in me agrees you don’t even need the meat 😂

0E8597CB-FD51-4BC6-8A46-28720F237D4E.jpeg

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, DevilDog said:

To the Grill gang here. I tell you for $8.95 a piece this is one of the best investments.   A drumstick or wings holder from Academy.  No turning chicken.  Just load up and chill.  Works in oven roasting as well.  Holds seasonings better  too.  Will hold 12 of either on each track.  And keeps smoked cleaner.  Easier if you mop or spray doing  smoking.  They. Eed to invent one of these Mofos for a Brisket. 😎

20200427_195242.jpg

20200427_194957.jpg

I don't have a local Academy and the few times I've stopped at one in Tallahassee or somewhere, I'm after fishing gear or ammunition and always forget to look for that rack. 

I damned sure need one of those for wings. 

4 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

It was good enough that I didn't need to sauce it at all. We ate on it three times. First day just with some baked beans, then we had sandwiches with a little spicy sauce the next time, then on rolls with au jus like French dip subs.

225 at 7 hrs seems short for a brisket and 11 hrs at 180 won’t work IMHO. Brisket is cheap piece of meat that’s real expensive... Makes sense right? Need to get it at least 200 and then probe with toothpick til slides in easily. Last one we did was 209 temp. 

I know there’s lot of different ways to cook everything, but I’m just suggesting basics that won’t fail. 

Im trying hot and fast next few and see how it turns out, that’s how most the BBQ champs do it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cossacks said:

Time frame for a brisket can be an issue. Seems like  I’m about 10-14 hours. Thrown a few in at 0100 hours to make sure I’d have it down the next day. I prefer 225-250 range for brisket.I went to a bbq class this past January  and was surprised that a lot of guys did prefer 275+ for their pits. These were pro completion guys and the main reason was time constraints with turn ins. But most said they go that high at home too. Guys like Myron Mixon prefer hot and fast around 300 degrees for brisket

Offset is good for brisket or anything else. I had 2 offset drums and my father in law gave me his Weber Smokey Mountain. I held out for about a year before I used it. Now I will never go back. The WSM is awesome. I’m not a pellet fan (not there there’s anything wrong with them) I just like working a fire. The WSM holds temp awesome and is pretty close to set and forget when you get it down and regulated. I do know what you mean about having to babysit it.

Look at it this way. You got to play with fire, you cooked a carcass and you sucked down some IPA’s, that’s a good day.

You beat me to it. Mentioned most of this. Haha. Should’ve read all comments before replying. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, NorCalRuss said:

225 at 7 hrs seems short for a brisket and 11 hrs at 180 won’t work IMHO. Brisket is cheap piece of meat that’s real expensive... Makes sense right? Need to get it at least 200 and then probe with toothpick til slides in easily. Last one we did was 209 temp. 

I know there’s lot of different ways to cook everything, but I’m just suggesting basics that won’t fail. 

Im trying hot and fast next few and see how it turns out, that’s how most the BBQ champs do it. 

And that Bark should look like a Nigerian's Foot .🤣

• Haha 3