TX vs. GA. & CA the Carnivore Challenge

DevilDog

53 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Here is the two and a half hour mark and the first water/vinegar solution spritzing...

20190511_153202.thumb.jpg.aaab8dffc1b4d8610347b556bc392a68.jpg

Not sure about time left. Starting.to see some bone showing in places. Probably start checking internal temps in the next spritz session. Probably an hour or hour and a half from now.

That's my specialty right there.  You will not go back to the Oink 😎  Man those are looking very good.  Starting to pull back from the Bone let's you know you are getting there. 

I SEE YA JAWJAA I SEE YA

Image result for bravo gif

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

That's my specialty right there.  You will not go back to the Oink 😎  Man those are looking very good.  Starting to pull back from the Bone let's you know you are getting there. 

I SEE YA JAWJAA I SEE YA

Image result for bravo gif

I think I'd have preferred some big meaty Fred Flinstone style brontosaurus ribs, but like I said, the short sections were salvaged from rib roasts that I cut for steaks. The larger rack I picked up earlier to round out the meal to be sure there was enough. 

I actually just went out and threw the corn on there a little early because internal temp on the ribs was 185 pretty much across the board. Guessing about an hour or so and I'm there. I put the corn up on the warming rack. I guess I'll keep my eye on it a little more now. Maybe half hour checkups. 

Let me just say... when I hit that meat with the thermometer, and pulled it out... the juices almost squirted me in the eye. 

I'm guessing this will be a success story and not a bbq nightmare. At least as of now anyway. Stuff could turn on a dime if you stop paying attention. 

20190511_163901.thumb.jpg.c0af6cb8d711d63a15853d89e3b1da5e.jpg

34 minutes ago, NorCalRuss said:

Take them to 200-205 degrees. Then they’ll be perfect. Once you find a temp you like for texture and moisture, they’ll always come out the same and you won’t have much variance in success  Cooking to temp instead of time really works wonders. 

Disregard if your experienced in this. Haha.

They getting good pull back on bone. In my experience you shouldn’t need 5 hrs cooking at that temp. I usually go 200-225 when smoking. 

You can always do a beef broth mixed with your favorite seasoning or wine and dip them in that a few times last few hours. 

Making me hungry! I’ll be throwing down a few items tomorrow for mother’s day

I preheated to 300, then kept that temp for the first 2 hours to bark up the meat. 

Since then I've kept it between 200-250 pretty much. 

The weather has been crazy, with the wind changing directions, storms blowing up, rain etc., so it's been a bit of a challenge maintaining a constant consistent temp using the archaic offset smoker. I'm still old school I guess. Some of my friends switched to traeger style pellet grills and smokers so they can be very consistent with temps. 

17 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I think I'd have preferred some big meaty Fred Flinstone style brontosaurus ribs, but like I said, the short sections were salvaged from rib roasts that I cut for steaks. The larger rack I picked up earlier to round out the meal to be sure there was enough. 

I actually just went out and threw the corn on there a little early because internal temp on the ribs was 185 pretty much across the board. Guessing about an hour or so and I'm there. I put the corn up on the warming rack. I guess I'll keep my eye on it a little more now. Maybe half hour checkups. 

Let me just say... when I hit that meat with the thermometer, and pulled it out... the juices almost squirted me in the eye. 

I'm guessing this will be a success story and not a bbq nightmare. At least as of now anyway. Stuff could turn on a dime if you stop paying attention. 

And sir what Beverage would be brushing thou lips to wipeth awayeth the sauceth? 😂

2 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I preheated to 300, then kept that temp for the first 2 hours to bark up the meat. 

The weather has been crazy, with the wind changing directions, storms blowing up, rain etc., so it's been a bit of a challenge maintaining a constant consistent temp using the archaic offset smoker. I'm still old school I guess. Some of my friends switched to traeger style pellet grills and smokers so they can be very consistent with temps. 

I also have an electric smoker and have often put them in their set that MOFO at 250 after I got all the real smoke I wanted and just chill.  

20 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Image result for bbq gif

Image result for bbq gif

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

And sir what Beverage would be brushing thou lips to wipeth awayeth the sauceth? 😂

20190511_170743.thumb.jpg.41b7f42f5b2c918e25478f9f6b4e2fd8.jpg

The Mandarin Chief for the Whacko Liberal Grillmaster. xD

Making beef ribs and craft beer great again, one can at a time. Bigly!

Hahaha

It actually does pair well with beef though. I may knock one back whilst the ribs finish coming to temp too. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I have a small PTG Traeger but don’t use it unless I’m doing 1-2 tri tips only. Traeger don’t put out enough smoke unless you add smoke tube imo. Only bought it because I picked it up for $70. I use a dynaglo 36 inch extra wide vertical smoker. It’s propane and wood chips. It’s just easy for long smokes and I like the versatility of 6 wide vertical shelf’s. 

• Like 1

20190511_172459.thumb.jpg.82549c1de2ad156d432e0e4d894be7ad.jpg20190511_172843.thumb.jpg.4bc60ca5acccdbebb1f57ecc261f8fdb.jpg20190511_175922.thumb.jpg.eab24c850cc8afd11db89aca23f4ef31.jpg

i'm guessing that when the bone comes out looking like that when finished that the meat was done about right. 

Poor Buster, the geriatric yorkie back there ain't getting much to gnaw. 

The smoked corn was ridiculous! I could have forgone the kosher salt on the ribs, as some were just a smidge on the salty side. The gun powder seasoning had a little more saltiness than I planned for I guess. Other than that... no complaints. 

Buster on the other hand has much to complain about. Back to the Ol' Roy food bowl for him. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

20190511_172459.thumb.jpg.82549c1de2ad156d432e0e4d894be7ad.jpg20190511_172843.thumb.jpg.4bc60ca5acccdbebb1f57ecc261f8fdb.jpg20190511_175922.thumb.jpg.eab24c850cc8afd11db89aca23f4ef31.jpg

i'm guessing that when the bone comes out looking like that when finished that the meat was done about right. 

Poor Buster, the geriatric yorkie back there ain't getting much to gnaw. 

The smoked corn was ridiculous! I could have forgone the kosher salt on the ribs, as some were just a smidge on the salty side. The gun powder seasoning had a little more saltiness than I planned for I guess. Other than that... no complaints. 

Buster on the other hand has much to complain about. Back to the Ol' Roy food bowl for him. 

That’s looking great, nice smoke ring! We had some sweet ( 10 for $1) corn for first time in long time last weekend with lil butter and it was delicious. There’s a dude that rides a bike cart  around here that sales the corn On cobs Mexican style. Think it’s butter mayo and some cheese and lil seasoning. Very good. Poor dog was hoping you messed them up. 

• Like 2

On 5/12/2019 at 9:48 PM, HawgGoneIt said:

Damn! I bet that asparagus is good off the smoker like that. 

I know it's a carnivore challenge, but, I like my green stuff too. 

I was about to hit him with an unsportsmanlike penalty. 2 veges on 1 pit with meat.  Then after careful examination the veges are placed to obsorb said meat Juices thus garnering a Pass.  I'm warning Cali about the Sparrow Grass 🤣 let's assume it's just a Garnish.  😎 now if wrapped in meat that's a plus.  But jamming a stick thru meat over heat is a plus. 😄

Ga &  Tx contingents have Cali on watch for more Greenish shenanigans.  

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

I was about to hit him with an unsportsmanlike penalty. 2 veges on 1 pit with meat.  Then after careful examination the veges are placed to observe said meat Juices thus garnering a Pass.  I'm warning Cali about the Sparrow Grass 🤣 let's assume it's just a Garnish.  😎 now if wrapped in meat that's a plus.  But jamming a stick thru meat over heat is a plus. 😄

Ga &  Tx contingents have Cali on watch for more Greenish shenanigans.  

It’s mother’s day. Had to throw some veggies in there!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NorCalRuss said:

Chicken on left and carne asada on right. Most of the Al Pastor around here has pineapple in it and not a fan. 

Yeah knew the carne asada, wasn’t sure of bird or hog on the left. I actually love Al Pastor and the pineapple in it. If done right it’s one of my favs. In fact just had Al Pastor tacos the other night at one of my favorite Mexican restaurants.

F382EBD7-4337-4930-A69D-B7FB3465AA83.jpeg

• Like 1

On 5/18/2019 at 1:10 AM, NorCalRuss said:

Chicken on left and carne asada on right. Most of the Al Pastor around here has pineapple in it and not a fan. 

Now thats bringing it homie.  Barn Yard Pimp (chicken) and a side of Cow.  Motivated me to want tacos later. Looks damn 👍

• Haha 1