TX vs. GA. & CA the Carnivore Challenge

DevilDog

14 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

@rockinl @HawgGoneIt @NorCalRuss @NotBigdaddybloom

Do you guys remember these days?  Yet you still felt yours were the best damn Que around.  Even back in the old Barracks days.  Now we are all grown up with Money in our Pockets with granite top Pellet Smokers and multiple type smokers each.  WE DEM BOYZ 🤣

Related image

Man we use to use 1 time use bbq in Army cuz we didn’t want to use the Hq bbq by CQ. I was in F quad at old barracks at Schofield  that still had bullet holes in wall from Pearl Harbor attack.  We made spade tables out of old wooden cable wire rolls with designs under glass tops, beer holders and all and bbq every night almost if we didn’t hit the town. We had a Toga party on 2nd and 3rd floor one night with swimming pool and all. We got busted for that on. Things young ( and old divorced soldiers living in barracks ) soldiers will do when bored. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, NorCalRuss said:

Man we use to use 1 time use bbq in Army cuz we didn’t want to use the Hq bbq by CQ. I was in F quad at old barracks at Schofield  that still had bullet holes in wall from Pearl Harbor attack.  We made spade tables out of old wooden cable wire rolls with designs under glass tops, beer holders and all and bbq every night almost if we didn’t hit the town. We had a Toga party on 2nd and 3rd floor one night with swimming pool and all. We got busted for that on. Things young ( and old divorced soldiers living in barracks ) soldiers will do when bored. 

Indeed I got a picture of me with one of those little grills wabout 2ft off the ground with about 20 burgers and dogs jammed on it.🤣With about 8 other MP's with Beer in hand and buns waiting for the 2nd Flip.  I wouldn't trade those memories for nothing.   But man we had some great times.  Still friends to this day.  

Great memories with Great People. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Indeed I got a picture of me with one of those little grills wabout 2ft off the ground with about 20 burgers and dogs jammed on it.🤣With about 8 other MP's with Beer in hand and buns waiting for the 2nd Flip.  I wouldn't trade those memories for nothing.   But man we had some great times.  Still friends to this day.  

Great memories with Great People. 

My old unit had a reunion in Atlanta this weekend. Bunch old crazy grunts thinking they’re 21 again! Stay in touch with many thanks to social media. Wasn’t around back in the day. Prob a good thing!

• Haha 1

Damn! There's some real ballers on here with outdoor kitchens and stuff! 

I haven't done anything big lately. Did have some oink chops and have a beer yesterday evening...

20190519_194648.thumb.jpg.0a7c60a7af07e89944a27610f0e96af3.jpg

Warm weather done brought out the fruity IPA and the wait until the sky turns orange to fire the charcoal tower up. 

As an aside, my grandpa always made some of the best hamburgers and he worked off a little tabletop hibachi type grill. He hardly ever fired that little grill up, but, it was a treat when he did.

images.jpeg.7e1c492f4eae50b62028c7d55e6d9359.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DevilDog said:

Bro. I only use Hickory. 

See I had type cast you as a Texas post oak guy 😂. Love hickory as well. 

Usually I’m 50/50 hickory and apple for pork and chicken. If it’s just beef then I go all hickory unless it’s Tri Tip, then only red oak.

Personally I stay away from mesquite. I like the flavor, but a little can go a long way. Too much is way to bitter and can ruin a good piece of meat. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cossacks said:

Usually I’m 50/50 hickory and apple for pork and chicken. If it’s just beef then I go all hickory unless it’s Tri Tip, then only red oak.

Personally I stay away from mesquite. I like the flavor, but a little can go a long way. Too much is way to bitter and can ruin a good piece of meat. 

Depends on how much 🍻 is involved! 

5 hours ago, Cossacks said:

Chicken I use a little Hickory and a fruit wood.  Fish only Apple and cherry unless im smoking Salmon I go hickory or alder