Maryland Public Schools Adding Playoff For Teams That Don't Make the Playoffs

eaglesinsider

Maryland public schools are dropping down to a 9-game regular season and increasing the playoff spots to 32 per class (from 16). 13 teams per class won't make the playoffs

To ensure every team plays 10 games they had mentioned they were going to match up the schools that didn't make the playoffs regionally. What I didn't realize is that they were putting a total second bracket together for the 13 teams that don't make the actual playoffs going all the way to an "Open Bracket Championship" the weekend after Thanksgiving.

Seriously, it's all laid out here: http://www.nationalchamps.net/highschool/MPSSAA_playoff_proposal.pdf

I don't know what to think about that.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, eaglesinsider said:

Maryland public schools are dropping down to a 9-game regular season and increasing the playoff spots to 32 per class (from 16). 13 teams per class won't make the playoffs

To ensure every team plays 10 games they had mentioned they were going to match up the schools that didn't make the playoffs regionally. What I didn't realize is that they were putting a total second bracket together for the 13 teams that don't make the actual playoffs going all the way to an "Open Bracket Championship" the weekend after Thanksgiving.

Seriously, it's all laid out here: http://www.nationalchamps.net/highschool/MPSSAA_playoff_proposal.pdf

cool concept.  all those teams that don't make the playoffs can most certainly use the extra games at the end of the season.  for kids that just love playing football and don't want the season to end, cool concept for sure.  

As a coach, I would love it, especially if I inherited a team that wasn't so good.  Any extra game(s) would do nothing but get us better and get us ready for the following season.  

46 minutes ago, eaglesinsider said:

It’s like a consolations game? Like the last place teams play one more game to see who’s the worst of the worst 

28 minutes ago, sausmann9 said:

cool concept.  all those teams that don't make the playoffs can most certainly use the extra games at the end of the season.  for kids that just love playing football and don't want the season to end, cool concept for sure.  

As a coach, I would love it, especially if I inherited a team that wasn't so good.  Any extra game(s) would do nothing but get us better and get us ready for the following season.  

I think the extra practice and games could be really beneficial for a team that say went 6-3 or 5-4 and just missed the playoffs. Might help them get over the hump for the next year. There's such a disparity in the state between the top and bottom public schools it might give a lower level school a chance to experience some success as well.

Part of me really doesn't like the "everyone gets a trophy" aspect of it but it's not like they're just letting everyone make the real playoffs either, which I know some states do. I'm inclined to say that more football is always good no matter what level it's being played at.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

It’s like a consolations game? Like the last place teams play one more game to see who’s the worst of the worst 

as a coach though, you wouldn't see it that way.  and I bet both staffs don't care how many in attendance but for the fact they have another game to work shit out with their underclassmen.  

Colquitt better than most teams one reason being they play an extra four or five games a season compared to others.  Good stuff no matter whats on the line.

14 minutes ago, sausmann9 said:

as a coach though, you wouldn't see it that way.  and I bet both staffs don't care how many in attendance but for the fact they have another game to work shit out with their underclassmen.  

Colquitt better than most teams one reason being they play an extra four or five games a season compared to others.  Good stuff no matter whats on the line.

I have to agree. As a head coach in the state I like the format. It gives Coach is taking over under achieving programs a chance to have some positivity at the end of the season and build. Also the current format does not promote playing tough OOC games against the private’s or VA schools. I think this would make it a little easier to do.

• Thanks 1

I wonder what the winter sports coaches (and athletes) think about this, especially at smaller schools with more multi-sport athletes.

Many, many years ago (it ended in the 1970's), Massachusetts had a privately organized state basketball tournament for teams that didn't make the real tournament.

6 hours ago, MA Fan said:

I wonder what the winter sports coaches (and athletes) think about this, especially at smaller schools with more multi-sport athletes.

Many, many years ago (it ended in the 1970's), Massachusetts had a privately organized state basketball tournament for teams that didn't make the real tournament.

PA does it in a few of their districts; one is called the Eastern Conference Championships and it provides four teams an extra game and two of them an extra two games.  At one point it consisted of eight teams w/ eventual winner getting in on three extra games that season.  This ends/champ game played around weekend of Thanksgiving (or one prior).  

Because it usually ended before the league portion of the PIAA basketball and wrestling season, most coaches were/are cool with it.  Its the state playoffs in PA that go into December 14 or so that pisses off the coaches of other sports.    

In Florida we have bowl games. If you miss the playoffs and have at least 5 wins you can participate as long as you find an opponent with the same criteria obviously. 

Back in the day before the playoffs, bowl games were huge. They would most likely involve a champion from up North to take on our highest ranked team. 

Bowl game meant a lot more back then. Now they are just used for extra game experience for the younger kids, and to give the seniors one final game before they never play another down of football in their entire life 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

In Florida we have bowl games. If you miss the playoffs and have at least 5 wins you can participate as long as you find an opponent with the same criteria obviously. 

Back in the day before the playoffs, bowl games were huge. They would most likely involve a champion from up North to take on our highest ranked team. 

Bowl game meant a lot more back then. Now they are just used for extra game experience for the younger kids, and to give the seniors one final game before they never play another down of football in their entire life 

I like that idea better. One bowl game against another team that just missed the playoff cut (as opposed to a consolation playoff bracket). Hell, even the two bottom teams that finish 0-9 or 0-10 can square off for shits and giggles if they wanted to. I wouldn’t mind every state doing that! 

15 minutes ago, Omaha Vol said:

I like that idea better. One bowl game against another team that just missed the playoff cut (as opposed to a consolation playoff bracket). Hell, even the two bottom teams that finish 0-9 or 0-10 can square off for shits and giggles if they wanted to. I wouldn’t mind every state doing that! 

That is exactly how they format it in my area.  Highest non qualifying playoff teams play each other down the line after the regular season ends.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYHSFAN33 said:

That is exactly how they format it in my area.  Highest non qualifying playoff teams play each other down the line after the regular season ends.

Same with Colorado. One more game for the teams that don't make the playoffs, but not a separate tournament. They all just play one more game. And only implemented in the highest classification. The other classifications play 10-week schedules.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, eaglesinsider said:

Let the kids play.

Just don't be handing out any awards. 

• Like 1