Gimme your state's teams to watch (pre-transfer season edition)

Adam Kurkjian

OK, let me know what teams from your state we need to know about before the transfers start changing things.

For Mass. (alphabetically):

Belmont Hill — Good line play, nice WR/RB returning, but replacing the QB. One of the best teams in the ISL.

Billerica — Coach has been talking up this senior and junior class for a while now.

BC High — Will be big up front (as usual). Speed should be improved. Experienced QB. Needs to get a lot better than last year, though.

Brockton — So long as transfers don't gut the program (legit concern), one of the favorites in D1 South.

BB&N — Maybe the best OL in the state. Very good defense and run game. This team will have some transfers I don't know about yet, like a lot of ISL teams.

Canton — Lost stud LB, but experience all over the field. One of the Bulldogs' best teams (potentially) since the 1980s.

Catholic Memorial — Returns QB, good skill, 3 of 5 OL. Might be the favorite in D1 South.

Central Catholic: Only team to beat Everett the last two years. Brings back almost everyone. Early candidate for No. 1.

Deerfield — Maybe unfair to have a NEPSAC Class A team with PGs here, but I think the top MIAAs would be competitive. Very good skill, speed, but Class A is a beast.

Dennis-Yarmouth — Still young, but talented. If the Dolphins replace the QB with someone who gets it, look out.

Dexter — Good QB, line, and skill, but doesn't always play as well as you think. Should have its best team in a while, though.

Duxbury — Loses a lot and has to figure out its QB, but plays too fast for most of its opponents.

Everett — Most FBS-offered kids in the state. No one in New England has their skill. Replacing some great players, but just reloading. Biggest question is filling in the losses up front.

Falmouth — Best option QB in the state in Kyle Connolly. He ran for over 300 yards on Thanksgiving. Will go as far as he does.

Governor's Academy — Syracuse commit at DE, some solid linemen, and a returning QB. Lost the best RB in the ISL, though. Tough offense to game plan for.

Holliston — Lost best OL, but brings back basically everyone else.

King Philip — Big line, tough back, returning starting QB. Needs to replace some on D, but they're always good there. Question is if the Warriors can get a little faster.

Lawrence Academy — Rough 2018, but picked up some very good transfers, especially up front, where the Spartans struggled the most last year. QB is a playmaker and UMass commit.

Mansfield — Brings back nearly everyone. Will know how good this team is when they open with BC High and La Salle (Ohio).

Methuen — Good spread team with a returning QB and its best skill kids.

Milton Academy — If healthy, maybe the best team in the ISL. Picked up some good transfers, with maybe a couple more on the way. RB/LB Kalel Mullings might be the best player in the state.

Natick — Tremendous junior class, including maybe the best QB in the state.

Nobles — Loses a lot, but brings back a lot, too. I know, vague, but a small roster with high-end talent. Tough to call before the transfers are revealed.

North Attleboro — Lost imo the best lineman in the state, but has a promising young QB and another public with a great youth program where the kids just overachieve.

St. John's (Shrewsbury) — Will score on anyone. Tremendous speed on the perimeter. Can the Pioneers stop teams, especially against the run? That's the question.

St. John's Prep — Returning D1 champs have to replace a lot, but return QB and have some promising young players.

St. Sebastian's — Lost a lot, but returns one of the best TE/WR in the ISL, and the QB who was a backup last year will be good.

Scituate — Brings back a ton of skill, but has to replace a terrific QB.

Shrewsbury — Lost starting QB, but backup was very good, and will compete in D3 Central.

Springfield Central — Lost a ton, but has three good QBs, perimeter skill (as usual), and a good line. Defensive front seven may be the best in the state. Killer schedule, too.

Stoneham — Runs the double wing down your throat for four quarters. Not a single WR listed on the roster. Loses best RB/LB, but brings back a lot.

Tewksbury — No size, very little experience, but very well-coached and just tough every year.

Wachusett — Maybe the most physical team in Central Mass., but tough to get by St. John's in that D3 Central bracket.

Xaverian — A lot to replace in the front seven, but had a good group of sophomore skill players, and not many teams are more physical.

• Like 6

For Georgia, I'd say it's mostly the usual suspects. Albeit one or two for different reasons than in the past. I'll post a couple and couple it with a head to head matchup between them. 

I'll go with a couple from the south vs. a couple from the north for bonus points. 

Grayson-They've been on a head coaching carousel over the past four years which makes it pretty difficult to be successful in Georgia's largest classification. I've been hearing good things about the new coach, and they seem to always have the talent. Lost their D-line coach to Colquitt recently.

We probably should keep one eye on them and one eye on Colquitt, both for similar reasons. 

Colquitt- Of course we all know about the ouster of the head coach of the past 11 seasons. Colquitt is pretty loaded everywhere honestly. Just breaking in a new head coach like Grayson. Emerging from a lot of controversy and negativity right now is key. Recently acquired Grayson's d-line coach. Still have a few coaching vacancies that some of the assistants tell me we will be happy with who is coming. 

These two teams wrap up a home/home contract this year on 9/27. Could be a huge game with some hard feelings mixed in, in spite of coaching changes.

Also in the largest class:

Lowndes- senior heavy team this year and are always pretty formidable in the state. Their fans have been crowing a good deal this off season, so I'm gonna go out on limb and say they could be one to watch this season. 

We probably should keep an eye on Lowndes and Parkview for similar reasons. 

Parkview- another senior heavy team that took down Lowndes early in the season last year. They met Archer in the second round of the playoffs last year which led to an early exit for them. 

These two teams match up again early in the season with what could prove to be a clash of the titans in the 7A classification this year. These two wrap up a two year deal at Lowndes on 9/6

I'll throw in a dark horse team for the large class...

Camden County- They've had a couple of rough seasons by their standards as they try to rebuild their program under 3rd year head coach Bob Sphire. Most folks think this year they could be arriving back as a team to watch perennially.

I'll let someone else work in the smaller class teams if they will.

Maryland

Usual suspects private side

DM - McGregor is back and using the SFA model going after transfers. Will return to pounding the ball I feel can they throw enough to keep teams off balance.

SJC- Return a lot and I am sure they are not happy about he ending last year. 

GZ- QB is back along with some very good surrounding talent. Can they pull magic again but they are extremely well coached.

SFA - You know what you are getting they are loaded everywhere can they become a real team not a collection of athletes will the coaching improve but should be in the run for a top 5 spot nationally.

GC - Lost some transfers to public schools but gained a few. Should be interesting to see what they do under a new OC.

Calvert Hall - Some good talent like to pound the ball. Can they replace 9 starters on defense.

Spalding - Some good pieces return but graduated a lot don’t know what is in the pipeline but always well coached.

MSJ - Returns a lot and very well coached. Can they beat one of the DC teams. 

Gilman - struggling to find their way

McDonogh - loaded with young talent. How fast do they mature.

public side (people probably not interested because they are not national programs)

Qunice Orchard - the favorite 

Wise - best talent in the state by far every year

North Point - always loaded with athletes can they prepare with the weak schedule

Franklin - added a tremendous coach to the staff McDonogh former HC as the DC

• Like 3

6A in no particular order: 

north shore (16-0 in ‘18) -elite level offense, return 2 OL, QB, 2 x RBs and 2 x WRs.  Defense will be anchored by talented secondary and LB. have the nations#1 RB and a highly recruited 3* coming off the bench 

Duncanville (14-1 in ‘18) - return 13 starters, solid OL/DL, helped by transfer of 4* LB Kendrick blackshire (6'2 250). 4 players are top 5 nationally in their position: QB, LB, OT, SS

Atascocita (11-2 in ‘18) - only losses last season were to katy and  cy fair by less than 7 pts total.  Have a very talented and massive OL, return QB, RB, 2 X WR, DT, LB and 2 x CB.  Have the states #1 OT in class of '22. Kam Dewberry 

longview (16-0 in ‘18) -coming off a state title, return arguably states best QB, along with solid RB and FBS DT.  Plenty of weapons on this team to repeat. 

woodlands (9-4 in ‘18) - return 8 starters on offense, will be helped by LT transfer skill player Peyton janecek.  Defense returns DT, LB and 2 x CB.  Had a close loss to Allen last year 31-24 in the regional finals. 

Other 6A teams to watch: 

allen

katy

lake travis

westlake

cy fair 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rufus69 said:

Georgia....

1.  Grayson

2.  North Gwinnett

3.  Lowndes

4.  Lee County

5.  Northside

Nobody else is worth watching....

Rufus>>

No defending state champ Milton? 

Oh I understand. They’re playing a Cali team and have to be down played 👌🏻

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

57 minutes ago, Oldballcoach said:

Maryland

Usual suspects private side

DM - McGregor is back and using the SFA model going after transfers. Will return to pounding the ball I feel can they throw enough to keep teams off balance.

SJC- Return a lot and I am sure they are not happy about he ending last year. 

GZ- QB is back along with some very good surrounding talent. Can they pull magic again but they are extremely well coached.

SFA - You know what you are getting they are loaded everywhere can they become a real team not a collection of athletes will the coaching improve but should be in the run for a top 5 spot nationally.

GC - Lost some transfers to public schools but gained a few. Should be interesting to see what they do under a new OC.

Calvert Hall - Some good talent like to pound the ball. Can they replace 9 starters on defense.

Spalding - Some good pieces return but graduated a lot don’t know what is in the pipeline but always well coached.

MSJ - Returns a lot and very well coached. Can they beat one of the DC teams. 

Gilman - struggling to find their way

McDonogh - loaded with young talent. How fast do they mature.

public side (people probably not interested because they are not national programs)

Qunice Orchard - the favorite 

Wise - best talent in the state by far every year

North Point - always loaded with athletes can they prepare with the weak schedule

Franklin - added a tremendous coach to the staff McDonogh former HC as the DC

Haha. DM is using the SFA model for transfers? That’s news to me. Out of the double digit transfers they must be taking in, how many are from Florida, Virginia, PA, etc...

I haven’t really followed the transfers so maybe you’re right. I know they took in 2 kids and one of them will end up playing at an Ivy League school. Doesn’t sound SFA’ish to me. Just sounds like SOP in the WCAC. 

• Like 2

MD/DC in no order

SFA - Loaded with talent. The DL is probably the best in the country. Most teams will have an issue passing.The QB is going to be very good. Playing real teams this year. We’ll see what type of program they are now. I’m guessing they finish Top 5 nationally.

DeMatha - return the starting OL and most of the DL. The RB is top 5 in the country. They ave athletes and size with a new QB, but will they gel in time for SJB out in California? No clue. One year they open OOS and put a running clock on Top 25 Miami Central and the other they get the same done to them by Top 10 STA. Questions at WR and DB. Also brand new’ish coaching staff. I’d say the WCAC’s favorite because they have the best OL/DL. That’s what usually wins the championship, but who knows after last season’s post season madness. 

SJC - Loaded with talent at the skills. Have a few elite game changers at WR and LB/DL. Heard they got the huge RB back on campus. Only issue is they historically can’t close. A total of one WCAC championship over the last quarter century. 

Gonzaga - Return QB and OL. Will be better than last year. Had some luck in the WCAC playoffs last season, but don’t let that fool you, they are a very good team. Skill wise they have some great talent in the ‘21 and ‘22 classes who are just now being offered by colleges. If you have free time in DC, catch a GZ game. Offensively they are a powerhouse. 

Good Counsel - Always well coached. Will be a very solid team. Questions at QB, but should be fine. I’m guessing the DM transfer takes the job. Kind of quiet in the off-season which is scary. They have some elite talent at OT and DL.

Those are the only national conversation teams. Quince Orchard, Northwest, North Point and Franklin will be the headliners for the public league. Wise’s run is over after PG county changed some rules around.

Some privates to keep an eye on are National Christian Academy and McDonogh. Each has a handful of elite talent spread around. 

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

5 minutes ago, NicholasMalibu said:

MD/DC in no order

SFA - Loaded with talent. The DL is probably the best in the country. Most teams will have an issue passing.The QB is going to be very good. Playing real teams this year. We’ll see what type of program they are now. I’m guessing they finish Top 5 nationally.

DeMatha - return the starting OL and most of the DL. The RB is top 5 in the country. They ave athletes and size with a new QB, but will they gel in time for SJB out in California? No clue. One year they open OOS and put a running clock on Top 25 Miami Central and the other they get the same done to them by Top 10 STA. Questions at WR and DB. Also brand new’ish coaching staff. I’d say the WCAC’s favorite because they have the best OL/DL. That’s what usually wins the championship, but who knows after last season’s post season madness. 

SJC - Loaded with talent at the skills. Have a few elite game changers at WR and LB/DL. Heard they got the huge RB back on campus. Only issue is they historically can’t close. A total of one WCAC championship over the last quarter century. 

Gonzaga - Return QB and OL. Will be better than last year. Had some luck in the WCAC playoffs last season, but don’t let that fool you, they are a very good team. Skill wise they have some great talent in the ‘21 and ‘22 classes who are just now being offered by colleges. If you have free time in DC, catch a GZ game. Offensively they are a powerhouse. 

Good Counsel - Always well coached. Will be a very solid team. Questions at QB, but should be fine. I’m guessing the DM transfer takes the job. Kind of quiet in the off-season which is scary. They have some elite talent at OT and DL.

Those are the only national conversation teams. Quince Orchard, Northwest, North Point and Franklin will be the headliners for the public league. Wise’s run is over after PG county changed some rules around.

Some privates to keep an eye on are National Christian Academy and McDonogh. Each has a handful of elite talent spread around. 

Indeed it was a blowout and ugly loss. But wasn't a running clock...Nope!!!

41 minutes ago, Bestcoast said:

I'm not sure you know anything about Milton...but they pretty much are losing their team to graduation.  In particular...their QB.   To say they'll just reload is probably a stretch.  They'll go thru some major growing pains early on.  They could be ready by playoff time...and then again....

Rufus>>

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

For Georgia, I'd say it's mostly the usual suspects. Albeit one or two for different reasons than in the past. I'll post a couple and couple it with a head to head matchup between them. 

I'll go with a couple from the south vs. a couple from the north for bonus points. 

Grayson-They've been on a head coaching carousel over the past four years which makes it pretty difficult to be successful in Georgia's largest classification. I've been hearing good things about the new coach, and they seem to always have the talent. Lost their D-line coach to Colquitt recently.

We probably should keep one eye on them and one eye on Colquitt, both for similar reasons. 

Colquitt- Of course we all know about the ouster of the head coach of the past 11 seasons. Colquitt is pretty loaded everywhere honestly. Just breaking in a new head coach like Grayson. Emerging from a lot of controversy and negativity right now is key. Recently acquired Grayson's d-line coach. Still have a few coaching vacancies that some of the assistants tell me we will be happy with who is coming. 

These two teams wrap up a home/home contract this year on 9/27. Could be a huge game with some hard feelings mixed in, in spite of coaching changes.

Also in the largest class:

Lowndes- senior heavy team this year and are always pretty formidable in the state. Their fans have been crowing a good deal this off season, so I'm gonna go out on limb and say they could be one to watch this season. 

We probably should keep an eye on Lowndes and Parkview for similar reasons. 

Parkview- another senior heavy team that took down Lowndes early in the season last year. They met Archer in the second round of the playoffs last year which led to an early exit for them. 

These two teams match up again early in the season with what could prove to be a clash of the titans in the 7A classification this year. These two wrap up a two year deal at Lowndes on 9/6

I'll throw in a dark horse team for the large class...

Camden County- They've had a couple of rough seasons by their standards as they try to rebuild their program under 3rd year head coach Bob Sphire. Most folks think this year they could be arriving back as a team to watch perennially.

I'll let someone else work in the smaller class teams if they will.

He was my teammate in 2011 @ Warner Robins. Y'all are gonna enjoy him. 

As far as the smaller classification teams, be on the lookout for the 3 middle GA teams who made it to the Benz last season. It's supposed to be their year, especially WR and Peach County. Oh yeah, ELCA should win again. Not too sure about Lee County. 

• Like 1

What kind of nonsense is this !!!!!

HawgGoneIt....I've taught you better than that !!!!

The only thing loaded involving Colquitt...will be me and "Doc" after the Kentucky Derby party tonight...(Smile).

Margarita...the new Mint Julep....

Rufus>>

• Haha 1

I'm currently working on a list but I'll send it through DM because most teams wouldn't even be recognized by a lot on the board plus it's a unfinished project

Basically I did a regional watchlist of every team currently in consideration for my preseason rankings in August

The list will be subject to change

1 hour ago, NicholasMalibu said:

Haha. DM is using the SFA model for transfers? That’s news to me. Out of the double digit transfers they must be taking in, how many are from Florida, Virginia, PA, etc...

I haven’t really followed the transfers so maybe you’re right. I know they took in 2 kids and one of them will end up playing at an Ivy League school. Doesn’t sound SFA’ish to me. Just sounds like SOP in the WCAC. 

I don’t think it is on that level but they have been calling local kids asking them to leave for free tuition at DM. I know of a handful of kids.

1 hour ago, NicholasMalibu said:

MD/DC in no order

National Christian no way. They had that team loaded last year with SEC players and Big 10 kids. I watched McDonogh handle them and MSJ take them to the woodshed

1 hour ago, Rufus69 said:

What kind of nonsense is this !!!!!

HawgGoneIt....I've taught you better than that !!!!

The only thing loaded involving Colquitt...will be me and "Doc" after the Kentucky Derby party tonight...(Smile).

Margarita...the new Mint Julep....

Rufus>>

Well, I have been known to be loaded with bull crap at times. 

I can't really speak for all Colquitt Countians, but, a good many of us are loaded like that. 

xD

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bestcoast said:

They are definitely one to watch... Their 3rd year HC Adam Clack has them rolling.

But they lost every starting skill player & their QB (who carried the team).

They do return all but 1 player on the OL & DL. The one they lost was pretty good though... A 4* Clemson signee. And they return 1 LB.

So I dont think anyone knows what to expect when a team has to replace their star QB & every skill position player. They wont be the favorite coming in though. 

Bergen Catholic - returns a lot. They will be big, well coached, and deep with a few dynamic athletes. The question for them will be whether or not rising sophomore sensation Jaeden Gould will be able to play this season after suffering an injury a football camp this spring, and if they will be able to fill the void at RB left by Nebraska commit Rahmir Johnson.

St. Peter's Prep - they also return a lot and are excited to unveil the QB of the future in 6'5, 205lb Tahj Bullock. As usual they will be one of the most athletic teams in the league featuring big, fast, dynamic kids at the skill spots. They also return rising sophomore sensation Christian Lebrun who was penciled in to start as a freshman before suffering a season ending injury during a preseason scrimmage vs Irvington. Their soft out of league schedule could work for or against them. Time will tell... 

St. Joseph Regional - returns the most productive backfield in the BNU red. They will be big upfront on both lines with some key returnees at key positions. WR and LB will be positions of concern for the green knights as they will have to fill those voids through transfer portal or the JV. St. Joe's will go as far as second year QB Michael Alaimo takes them.

Don Bosco Prep - returns two of the most electric RB's in the BNU Red, a three year starter at QB, a legend to coach the offensive line, and a host of returners at the skill spots. They will be much more experienced from a coaching standpoint, however the area of concern is the offensive line. After losing two linemen to graduation and another starting lineman that transfered to Paramus Catholic, bosco will have to fill those voids either through the transfer portal or inserting kids that played JV last season.  

DePaul - they to return a lot as they were young last year. They will have huge voids to fill at QB and WR as Taquan Roberson and Ronnie Hickman are off to Penn State and Ohio State. They seem to have found the answer at QB in 6'5, 220lb Andrew Butler, but time will tell.

Paramus Catholic - was the youngest team in the league last year as they started mostly sophomores. They only lost two starters to graduation. They have hit the transfer scene hard this off season and expect to compete for it all. Will their coaches be able to get them over the hump will be the question. 

Mater Dei and  St. Augustine - will become new names when referring to the "Sig 6" of New Jersey as they are quietly building power house programs. Last season St. Augs was St. Joe's toughest opponent in the playoffs and Mater Dei beat DePaul before losing a nail biter to Red Bank Catholic in the State chip. They have momentum in that part of the state witch is home to some of the states best talent. They are my dark horses.

• Thanks 2