Gimme your state's teams to watch (pre-transfer season edition)

Adam Kurkjian

19 hours ago, NicholasMalibu said:

You’re way off with SJC. Not anywhere close to an Oak Hill situation. You may be thinking about St. Frances Academy(SFA) in Baltimore. SJC had one season where they took in a bunch of transfers. If you were to call them a local all star team you might be closer to being right. 

Another thing to remember is that when a school has a number of transfers coming in it does not necessarily equate to a school "bringing in or actively recruiting players."  I know a number of kids that have jumped ship and headed to schools like SFA in the hopes of getting better looks from colleges.  Then there are others, who most likely will not start/play at their current school, and are actively looking for other opportunities to play at other schools which we have seen so far this off-season.  All because schools have transfers does not necessarily mean that the school actively recruited that individual. Just want to make that distinction clear.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, elKakador said:

Yes, and DP beat SPP (besides whooping PC).  What happened there?

The samething that happened when SPP smoked Bergen. They caught them napping. DePaul did nothing after that to suggest anything other. To DePaul's defense they were not the same team once Hickman and Danny went down.

1 hour ago, RedZone said:

St John's DC last won a state football championship or whatever that is in DC in 1989.........

Fast forward to 2017. St John's DC wins state and is now magically delicious playing a national schedule in 2019 with a roster full of some of the area's best ATHS...

Really isn't much "magic" to it...........

Not to not pick but privates can not win state championships in MD or VA

11 minutes ago, Oldballcoach said:

Not to not pick but privates can not win state championships in MD or VA

I don't know much about it truthfully......in 2017 St John's DC won something.

The point is many of these schools were "nobodies" a decade ago (2009) or even 5 years ago....some ranked in the 10,000's at Maxpreps. It doesn't add up really when you break it all down. 

Life Christian, VA trying to do football now, like Bishop Sullivan, VA.......and so on.....

I look at my school Archbishop Rummel and we will pretty good in 2009.....(14-1) losing to West Monroe in the 5A Champ game. We are capable of being pretty solid without all the transfers.

Allen, TX was good in 2009

John Curtis was good in 2009

etc, etc.

2 hours ago, RedZone said:

You can spin it however you like. That's what most do on this forum.

Facts of the matter are St John's College was a real nobody until Under Armour founder and CEO Kevin Plank donated $16 million in 2015. Look at them now......money well spent evidently.  They at least have some good players these days.

I'm not even going to waste much time on it..

Which is it? Number of transfers...not that many. Out of area transfers...not that many. A lot of money...yep (although that donation was to the school and not the athletic department/football team).Obviously that helps...should  they apologize and give it back? 

21 minutes ago, WCACguy said:

Doubt it...hope it's possible to watch on the internet...should be an interesting game.

It will help duncanville a lot playing a team like SJC early (DV’s district is very weak), as they will see a similarly explosive offense in the playoffs if/when they meet up with north shore.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

It will help duncanville a lot playing a team like SJC early (DV’s district is very weak), as they will see a similarly explosive offense in the playoffs if/when they meet up with north shore.

SJC is very talented but their schedule is demanding...they play SJP the week before DV and then face IMG and Mater Dei the next two weeks. Not sure their depth can hold up.

4 minutes ago, WCACguy said:

SJC is very talented but their schedule is demanding...they play SJP the week before DV and then face IMG and Mater Dei the next two weeks. Not sure their depth can hold up.

Yes, I’ve seen their schedule.  It’s very challenging.  

The point is many of these schools were "nobodies" a decade ago (2009) or even 5 years ago....some ranked in the 10,000's at Maxpreps. It doesn't add up really when you break it all down. 

Life Christian, VA trying to do football now, like Bishop Sullivan, VA.......and so on.....

I look at my school Archbishop Rummel and we will pretty good in 2009.....(14-1) losing to West Monroe in the 5A Champ game. We are capable of being pretty solid without all the transfers.

etc, etc.

Do you just make stuff up? 2013 SJC was 9-3 and # 187...2014 they were 7-4 and #528 but won at IMG 35-2 (IMG is 45-2 since that beat down)...2015 SJC went 7-4 #126. Maybe not the national power they are today but hardly a " nobody ranked in the 10,000s"... don't be stupid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

etc, etc.

I hear you I just put that out there cause it is confusing up this way.

state Champ, MIAA Champ, WCAC Champ, IAC Champ, etc

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, WCACguy said:

. Maybe not the national power they are today but hardly a " nobody ranked in the 10,000s"... don't be stupid.

"On November 18, 2017, St. John’s varsity football team defeated Gonzaga 30-7 to win the 2017 WCAC championship. They finished the season having gone undefeated in the WCAC for the first time since 1976 and having won the school’s first football conference championship since 1989. The 2017 team is also the only St. John's football team to ever defeat both DeMatha (first win since 1994) and Gonzaga twice in the same season. In 2017 the St. John's varsity football team finished their season ranked 17th and 19th in the country, after starting the pre-season ranked No. 2"

I lump all these wanna-be's in the same group......remember Eastern Christian Academy? Seems like the Eastern Region will use every angle in the book to build high school football teams.

10 years ago (2009) St John's DC was 5-5 and #1264.......no matter how you deflect the truth it remains what it is.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/highschools/after-a-16-million-donation-a-high-school-football-leagues-race-for-recruits-goes-national/2018/11/29/81b550b8-eb5d-11e8-9236-bb94154151d2_story.html?utm_term=.51b6930fa92d

St Francis and Bishop Sullivan were in the 10,000's......

"On November 18, 2017, St. John’s varsity football team defeated Gonzaga 30-7 to win the 2017 WCAC championship. They finished the season having gone undefeated in the WCAC for the first time since 1976 and having won the school’s first football conference championship since 1989. The 2017 team is also the only St. John's football team to ever defeat both DeMatha (first win since 1994) and Gonzaga twice in the same season. In 2017 the St. John's varsity football team finished their season ranked 17th and 19th in the country, after starting the pre-season ranked No. 2"

I lump all these wanna-be's in the same group......remember Eastern Christian Academy? Seems like the Eastern Region will use every angle in the book to build high school football teams.

10 years ago (2009) St John's DC was 5-5 and #1264.......no matter how you deflect the truth it remains what it is.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/highschools/after-a-16-million-donation-a-high-school-football-leagues-race-for-recruits-goes-national/2018/11/29/81b550b8-eb5d-11e8-9236-bb94154151d2_story.html?utm_term=.51b6930fa92d

SJC has been a good program for decades. They couldn’t get over the DeMatha or Good Counsel hump to win the WCAC for a while but those were national top 25 teams. They did fly down to Florida and beat the piss out of IMG during that time. They didn’t just come out of nowhere. 

They are nothing like ECA, SFA, Bishop Sullivan, etc...

If you’re ever in the DC area you may want to check out the WCAC schools Gonzaga, DeMatha, SJC and Good Counsel. I’d bet my house you’d be more impressed than whatever is going on at Rummel. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RedZone said:

FCE12C9B-350A-45FC-B0E6-DFAFA5D0BCA9.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RedZone said:

Lumping them into the same group is where you are wrong. SJC has been around since 1851 and is not some BS school. They were the dominant football program in the DMV in the '50s, '60s and '70s but suffered serious enrollment problems in the late '80s (dropped from 1,000 boys to less than 400) and were forced to go coed and change from a mandatory JROTC program to an optional one. The enrollment grew slowly back to 1,000 but close to half were females which left them with about half as many males as DeMatha and Gonzaga (other schools faced the same battle such as Good Counsel, Carroll and McNamara). This in part explains how DeMatha dominated the WCAC winning 18 of 25 championships between 1991 and 2016 (along with great players and coaching). SJC remained competitive for most of those years (winning records and playoff appearances) but could not win any titles. The WCAC is, and has always been, one of the better leagues in the country. For you to lump any team in the WCAC in with the renegade programs you have mentioned is not only wrong...it's idiotic. And by the way...taking shots at the "Eastern Region" is a bit hypocritical don't you think? Does Evangel Christian Academy ring a bell?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NicholasMalibu said:

SJC has been a good program for decades. They couldn’t get over the DeMatha or Good Counsel hump to win the WCAC for a while but those were national top 25 teams. They did fly down to Florida and beat the piss out of IMG during that time. They didn’t just come out of nowhere. 

If you’re ever in the DC area you may want to check out the WCAC schools Gonzaga, DeMatha, SJC and Good Counsel. I’d bet my house you’d be more impressed than whatever is going on at Rummel. 

I agree 100%...

1 hour ago, NotBigdaddybloom said:

2019 way too early predictions. Coolhwip in GA! DVille has grown ass men playing for them! And first game out the gate the poor public school from Corona vs the big bad Private College from Orange County! Can't wait!!!!

Centennial

MD

SJB

DLS

Bishop Amat

Narbonne

MV

Cajon

OLU

Alemany

GSerra

25. JSerra

I'm actually quite curious about Year 2 of Troy Thomas 2.0 at Servite. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SJR 04 said:

The samething that happened when SPP smoked Bergen. They caught them napping. DePaul did nothing after that to suggest anything other. To DePaul's defense they were not the same team once Hickman and Danny went down.

Bergen almost never plays well at caven point. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RedZone said:

St. Francis and Bishop Sullivan were in the 10,000's......

8 hours ago, NicholasMalibu said:

I don't think it's totally fair to lump Bishop Sullivan in with those other teams. Prior to 2016, they were pretty successful at the level they were playing (12-0 state championship season in 2013, followed by the coach getting pushed out for scoring too many points), and even ranked in the top 5,000 occasionally 😀. When they decided to go "big time", they did what most private schools looking to upgrade their programs would do, and hired an established successful coach that top local kids wanted to play for. It made waves because some in their league weren't happy about it, and because geography necessitated that they play a national schedule, but fundamentally it wasn't really different from what a PVI or O'Connell would do if they decided they wanted to compete with the big boys in the WCAC. It's not the same as ECA which was just a made-up school, or SFA which didn't play football until recently and brings in kids from all over.

On-topic for the thread: Bishop Sullivan still has some talent, so one of the big questions for the upcoming season in Virginia is whether those players will stick around BS, follow Scott to Oscar Smith, or end up at other public schools.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bigrobstercraws said:

I'm actually quite curious about Year 2 of Troy Thomas 2.0 at Servite. 

It may be more interesting at Servite than we think.

After the MD IMG game I met some parents wearing Servite jackets and quipped about their misery the last few years. After getting to know them a little, I asked about the what they thought about the programs future and if it will ever make attending a MD / Servite game interesting again... like the game we just experienced. They made it clear to me that with Thomas back along with a significant influx of large Samoan linemen and skill level players who want to play for him... their next few classes are going to be better than good.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, NicholasMalibu said:

No offense, but I'm just not interested in your "arm races/whatevers"........they have all been well-documented.

Rummel, is just one of the many quality programs in Louisiana. It's a little different down here.

15 hours ago, WCACguy said:

Lumping them into the same group is where you are wrong. SJC has been around since 1851 and is not some BS school. They were the dominant football program in the DMV in the '50s, '60s and '70s but suffered serious enrollment problems in the late '80s (dropped from 1,000 boys to less than 400) and were forced to go coed and change from a mandatory JROTC program to an optional one. The enrollment grew slowly back to 1,000 but close to half were females which left them with about half as many males as DeMatha and Gonzaga (other schools faced the same battle such as Good Counsel, Carroll and McNamara). This in part explains how DeMatha dominated the WCAC winning 18 of 25 championships between 1991 and 2016 (along with great players and coaching). SJC remained competitive for most of those years (winning records and playoff appearances) but could not win any titles. The WCAC is, and has always been, one of the better leagues in the country. For you to lump any team in the WCAC in with the renegade programs you have mentioned is not only wrong...it's idiotic. And by the way...taking shots at the "Eastern Region" is a bit hypocritical don't you think? Does Evangel Christian Academy ring a bell?

You've done a great job in explaining why no one has ever heard of St John's DC through the years.