Meet the 2nd Year Home School Team Playing SFA and Archbishop Wood This Season

eaglesinsider

46829243_737398766619409_518810458126706

Pictured is the inaugural Maryland Freedom Home School Team that played last season and finished with a record of 4-5 and ranked #10358 in the country. They will play Archbishop Wood and Saint Frances on back-to-back weeks to start 2019.

Their 2018 Schedule:

9/1 at  #5614 Saint James (L 0-38)

9/7 at #4149 John Carroll (L 0-35)

9/22 at #10049 Silver Oak (L 0-6 (OT)) (SFA beat Silver Oak 69-0 in 2018)

9/28 at #1884 National Christian (L 0-54)

10/5 at #8130 Maryland School for the Deaf (W 39-17)

10/13 at #11514 Friends School of Baltimore (W; forfeit... Friends only had 10 players show up for preseason practice)

10/20 at #1140 Riverdale Baptist (L 0-42)

11/3 at #12421 Central Virginia Disciples Home School (W 26-20)

11/17 vs. Huron Heights (Ontario, Canada) (W 8-0)

And their 2019 schedule with 2018 MaxPreps rankings:

8/17  at John Paul II Catholic High School (NC) (Scrimmage, this is a first year 8-man football program)

8/24  TBD

8/31  at #424 Archbishop Wood (PA)

9/7  #5 Saint Frances

9/13 at #14380 Model Secondary School for the Deaf (DC)

9/21 at # Our Lady of Mount Carmel

9/28 at #10049 Silver Oak

10/4 TBD

10/12 #13998 Northern Virginia Kings Home School

10/18 at #5575 Green Street Academy

10/26 #12421 Central Virginia Disciples Home School

11/2 at #5614 Saint James

Saint Frances was a top 5 team and Model Deaf was the 23rd worst football team in the country in 2018 according to MaxPreps, has anyone ever played a Top and Bottom 25 team in back-to-back weeks?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NicholasMalibu said:

I have to believe the staff is bringing in 20+ new players this season. There’s just no way SFA or AW would take this game against this team “as is”. 

Possibly. It just seems odd they have two powerhouses and then a pretty normal schedule for a run of the mill bad home school program. Maryland Christian Saints Home School got pretty good about a decade ago, beating two MIAA B schools and playing (but getting running clocked by) a Top 100 Gilman team. These guys are from the same general area (Harford County) as the Maryland Christian Saints so could be some of the old guard.

I know MD Christian got good in the past primarily by using 5th year kids who had played 4 years at local public schools and were enrolled in Harford Community College. The home school league they play in has no eligibility rules other than you can't turn 19 after the season starts so it was a great way for kids who wanted to play another year of football to do that while also going to a cheap, local college with no football team. If Maryland Freedom is going that route they might be decent.

Home school teams aren't permissible opponents for the MPSSAA (or PA, WV or DE) so they don't need to worry about meeting eligibility requirements.

How far has Maryland School for the Deaf fallen that they are losing by three touchdowns to these guys? The SFA schedule that GSB posted has them playing a Florida team on 9/6.

The homeschool teams are good schedule filler for the Virginia teams that drop out of their districts to play independent schedules. TJ is playing host to homeschool teams from Southwest Virginia and Delaware this year, I guess those teams can combine the game with an educational trip to DC.

1 hour ago, MA Fan said:

How far has Maryland School for the Deaf fallen that they are losing by three touchdowns to these guys? The SFA schedule that GSB posted has them playing a Florida team on 9/6.

The homeschool teams are good schedule filler for the Virginia teams that drop out of their districts to play independent schedules. TJ is playing host to homeschool teams from Southwest Virginia and Delaware this year, I guess those teams can combine the game with an educational trip to DC.

MSD was 8-2 last year so I have no idea how they lost to Maryland Freedom. Their other loss was to Green Street Academy who was pretty decent for the small private/charter level. Only 22 listed on the MSD MaxPreps roster for last year so a couple injuries might have played a part. They're still winning a lot of games but are playing a lesser schedule than they were back in the 2000s when they were absolutely dominating.

Maryland Freedom might be playing SFA's long rumored 2nd varsity team then. Or maybe it fell through and they picked up Superior Collegiate, who has been begging for games on FootballScoop and elsewhere for months, as a replacement.

I saw TJ was hosting those home school teams. Previously they've only played small schools like Chincoteague but I imagine the participation numbers are rather low at TJ. I don't have a problem with it. In fact, if MD changed their rule it would really help out some schools fill their open dates.

8 hours ago, CODBEARD said:

This is a post on a different board

Hello, my name is Coach Magic, scheduling coordinator for St. Frances Academy in Baltimore. We are looking for Varsity football games for our Varsity B team. We have a no cut rule and have a lot of under classmen who love the game but probably won't see significant playing time now that our Varsity A team will be playing a pretty tough independent schedule. Was wondering if any guys may have any openings on their schedule and if so could we possibly schedule a game. 

Please let me know if this is possible. 

Thanks in advance 

PS. Contact info on those that have open dates would be appreciated

The SFA "B" team must be the kids who are not recruited and born into untroubled families that pay their own tuition.

9 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

These teams can’t be worse than International School of Broward was. They were losing by 40-70 points a week. 

If SFA beats this team 77-0 that would be enough. 

The coach for SFA is probably telling the kids that this is a bye week game for the backups 

Where's @Sammyswordsman and the other breakfast club members to applaud these schools for "Stepping up" and then in the same breath bash and belittle SJP and AW for scheduling them.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

The SFA "B" team must be the kids who are not recruited and born into untroubled families that pay their own tuition.

It'll be their answer for people who complain that all the kids from OOS are taking spots from Baltimore City kids, most of whom are ironically MORE disadvantaged than a lot of the kids coming in from far away.