USAToday way too early rankings

eddiev

I can't believe I'm saying this but calpreps actually managed to get the FL teams more right than another poll did

STA at 3rd in nation is ridiculous, they haven't been at top 10 national level since 2016 and will likely lose in regionals

Miami Central ain't bad and may be top 5 in FL but word I'm hearing is they won't be as strong as last year so being the highest public school in FL may be a bit risky

And IMG top 10 again with a subpar coaching staff and poor conditioning but of course let's foam at mouth over how many D1 offers the players on team has because certainly that makes them a unstoppable monster

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

Other question marks

Why is Marietta and Narboone in top 10 nationally?

Does USA today look at anything besides college offer sheet before throwing these polls out there??

They pretty much determine these rankings based on talent and potential.

6 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

They pretty much determine these rankings based on talent and potential.

If you ask me that's kinda a lazy way to rank teams

Then again it's basically what ESPN does with college football rankings which are just as bad as USA today for high school so I guess at least they have uniformity in their work

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

I can't believe I'm saying this but calpreps actually managed to get the FL teams more right than another poll did

STA at 3rd in nation is ridiculous, they haven't been at top 10 national level since 2016 and will likely lose in regionals

Miami Central ain't bad and may be top 5 in FL but word I'm hearing is they won't be as strong as last year so being the highest public school in FL may be a bit risky

And IMG top 10 again with a subpar coaching staff and poor conditioning but of course let's foam at mouth over how many D1 offers the players on team has because certainly that makes them a unstoppable monster

This is just a spring ranking. Expect some shuffling once the actual preseason poll comes out in August. 

And where did you hear MC wasn't going to be as strong as last year? 

• Like 1

Just now, MC Rockets said:

This is just a spring ranking. Expect some shuffling once the actual preseason poll comes out in August. 

And where did you hear MC wasn't going to be as strong as last year? 

What I've heard so far from one of my South FL sources is that even though the Miami big 3 should be good again the gap between them and other top teams in state won't be as big a gap as last year

Of course Miami Central looked heading for down year last season but rebounded and picked up a few players in off-season so things can change by August but that's what I'm hearing atm

Regardless it shouldn't stop them from making it back to state

I am continuing to keep a eye on the off-season because Miami Central is one of those teams that always seems to find a way to turn whatever they got into marketable gold

That's why I still have Miami Central pretty high on my list of FL, just not as high as this poll does

The STA and IMG thing is a blunder though that maybe they will learn this year

30 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

If you ask me that's kinda a lazy way to rank teams

Then again it's basically what ESPN does with college football rankings which are just as bad as USA today for high school so I guess at least they have uniformity in their work

Except with the ESPN rankings the first two spots are pretty much a given (Clemson and Bama). Kinda hard to determine that with high school football. 

15 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

Except with the ESPN rankings the first two spots are pretty much a given (Clemson and Bama). Kinda hard to determine that with high school football. 

Yeah that's true with bama and Clemson 

I'm not saying it has to be perfect but it would be nice to see these "respectable ranking sources" do more than look at a roster 

Four schools from the DC/Baltimore metro area with SJC and SFA in the top ten, GZ 16th and DeMatha 24th. (DeMatha is 12th in MaxPreps preseason.) SJB at #2 will be a difficult game for DM to open with especially starting a new qb.  When they finally play GZ and SJC, with experience, it could be extremely interesting especially with rb Marshawn Lloyd and three three star offensive linemen.

• Like 1

Lakeland???

HS football is in a terrible state right now. The list is just some "names" and some fake HS recruiting factories. What a joke. This is what ruined HS basketball. Congratulation on cannibalizing yourself HS football. Interest has waned.

Cincinnati Princeton a bubble team? I understand they will have three studs (assuming there are no kinks in the transfer of Paris Johnson), but to place a team that hasn't qualified for the Ohio playoffs in over a decade on the bubble of the top 25 in the country is absurd. They are a bubble R4 qualifying team at best right now. 

• Like 3