USAToday way too early rankings

eddiev

12 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

CA kids make up the majority of CA college rosters in the pac12.  And those colleges are pretty bad right now.  

They make up the majority of the MWC too

And? That's a lot of talent spread throughout the region. It isn't like most of the in-state talent attends one of two instate schools. 

6 minutes ago, bigrobstercraws said:

They make up the majority of the MWC too

And? That's a lot of talent spread throughout the region. It isn't like most of the in-state talent attends one of two instate schools. 

I'm talking power 5.  Hell, every major state can claim to sending  kids elsewhere, CA ain't nothing special.  But it's mostly regional.  TX kids source the Big12, Cali Pac12, OH the big10, Fla/GA the SEC and ACC. 

9 hours ago, WCACFan said:

Marietta's record last year was 5-6.  How could they be ranked so high this year?

They return a boatload of talent & get back 2 of their best players from suspension.

Mariettas losses were to St. Johns DC (by 7), GC (by 12), Hillgrove (by 24) Grayson (by 7), & Rome (by 10).... All very good teams.  They did lose to a not that great East Coweta team in the playoffs... But its hard to count that since they were without their 4* QB Harrison Bailey.

However... That ranking is 100% based on potential... As their D1 talent is almost as good as anyones. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

1. NS

2. SJB

3. STA

4. MD

5. SJC

6. DV

7. SFA

8. IMG

9. MAR

10. NAR

11. PCC

12. MC

13. SL

14. PICK

15. EC

16. GZ

17. SAG

18. BG

19. ALEDO

20. GRAY

21. SJP

22. AH

23. SLC

24. DMC

25. MLK

Listed for simplicity-sake. 

Kind of surprised SJB isn't No. 1, but North Shore is going to be loaded, so I don't really have any issues there.

STA is way too high. Right now I'd have them behind whoever you think the best team in Dade will be, at bare minimum. And even with as much as Lakeland lost, the Dreadnaughts have the stud RB returning, and I'd have them favored over STA at this point.

I think Marietta should be solid, but I'm not sure they're even the best team in Georgia. A team like DeMatha, imo, would beat them.

I know Narbonne seems loaded, but 10 seems high.

Curious to see what @Wooderson has to say about Saguaro. Guessing he thinks it's too high.

SLC doesn't seem likely to be as good as Lake Travis, which they have on the bubble.

I feel like DeMatha would smoke a lot of teams listed ahead of them.

Princeton, really? Is USA Today going to put money down that Colerain won't smoke that team like they do every year? Didn't think so.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

They return a boatload of talent & get back 2 of their best players from suspension.

Mariettas losses were to St. Johns DC (by 7), GC (by 12), Hillgrove (by 24) Grayson (by 7), & Rome (by 10).... All very good teams.  They did lose to a not that great East Coweta team in the playoffs... But its hard to count that since they were without their 4* QB Harrison Bailey.

However... That ranking is 100% based on potential... As their D1 talent is almost as good as anyones. 

Watching Marietta last year was pretty frustrating and I have nothing to do with the school or state of GA. You could tell they had elite talent, but something wasn’t clicking in money time. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Columbiafan said:

Other question marks

Why is Marietta and Narboone in top 10 nationally?

Does USA today look at anything besides college offer sheet before throwing these polls out there??

It's wildly subjective while striving to be geographically diverse. 

The single biggest influence, historically, on how they rank is recent team history and program reputation. 

12 minutes ago, NicholasMalibu said:

Watching Marietta last year was pretty frustrating and I have nothing to do with the school or state of GA. You could tell they had elite talent, but something wasn’t clicking in money time. 

They had a lot of talent, but they didn't seem very physical. Good Counsel pushed them around. Of course, with another year of seasoning, they could very well end up improving enough to live up to their ranking. I'm just not sure they're better than, say, Lowndes. I do think they'd smash Princeton, though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

They had a lot of talent, but they didn't seem very physical. Good Counsel pushed them around. Of course, with another year of seasoning, they could very well end up improving enough to live up to their ranking. I'm just not sure they're better than, say, Lowndes. I do think they'd smash Princeton, though.

I know this probably doesn't need to be said...BUT....

Lowndes will stomp a mudhole in Marietta.

A MUDHOLE !!!!!

Rufus>>

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

Curious to see what @Wooderson has to say about Saguaro. Guessing he thinks it's too high.

I'm of the opinion that there needs to be some sense of merit to be ranked that high, and I don't think Saguaro has done nearly enough to be a top 25 team. They haven't beat anyone of consequence in Arizona and are a .500 ballclub against OOS opponents of which Valor and Vegas Liberty are the class of. The fact that they were largely non-competitive  in two games versus Liberty should count for more than a long list of D1 recruits.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MC Rockets said:

This is just a spring ranking. Expect some shuffling once the actual preseason poll comes out in August. 

And where did you hear MC wasn't going to be as strong as last year? 

Yeah man I've seen that new QB's film... I expect good things for sure. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NicholasMalibu said:

Trenches for sure.  Which is unusual for the big schools in GA IMO. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

1. NS

2. SJB

3. STA

4. MD

5. SJC

6. DV

7. SFA

8. IMG

9. MAR

10. NAR

11. PCC

12. MC

13. SL

14. PICK

15. EC

16. GZ

17. SAG

18. BG

19. ALEDO

20. GRAY

21. SJP

22. AH

23. SLC

24. DMC

25. MLK

STA should be in the 15-20 range IMO until proven otherwise.   Above MD?  Ehh.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

Kind of surprised SJB isn't No. 1, but North Shore is going to be loaded, so I don't really have any issues there.

STA is way too high. Right now I'd have them behind whoever you think the best team in Dade will be, at bare minimum. And even with as much as Lakeland lost, the Dreadnaughts have the stud RB returning, and I'd have them favored over STA at this point.

I think Marietta should be solid, but I'm not sure they're even the best team in Georgia. A team like DeMatha, imo, would beat them.

I know Narbonne seems loaded, but 10 seems high.

SLC doesn't seem likely to be as good as Lake Travis, which they have on the bubble.

I feel like DeMatha would smoke a lot of teams listed ahead of them.

Princeton, really? Is USA Today going to put money down that Colerain won't smoke that team like they do every year? Didn't think so.

Ehhh.   If they'd have played again last year would have been 50/50.   I guess we'll see if Lakeland is stacked again this year, but they had a lot of kids graduate.   They still have some good talent, but might not be as deep.   I guess badrouter would know more at this point. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Trenches for sure.  Which is unusual for the big schools in GA IMO. 

Marietta has to compete with Mceachern,Hillgrove and Walton for Athlete's.... 

And only recently has Marietta been getting athletes... 

Those are the schools most of the talented big kids go to in Cobb county... 

They are also one of the smallest 7A schools in the state.. 

13 hours ago, WCACFan said:

Marietta's record last year was 5-6.  How could they be ranked so high this year?

If you believe in the concept of a "good" loss you would understand.  You might understand if you bothered to look at their schedule and understood how those games played out.

4 hours ago, old_e said:

Aledo should neva eva eva be ranked top 25 nationally.  Signed Bishop Amat.

So we are gonna blast Aledo in a ranking for a loss 5 years ago, but ignore narbonne getting skull dragged LAST YEAR and being ranked in same ranking.    Ok...lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, 954gator said:

Ehhh.   If they'd have played again last year would have been 50/50.   I guess we'll see if Lakeland is stacked again this year, but they had a lot of kids graduate.   They still have some good talent, but might not be as deep.   I guess badrouter would know more at this point. 

Even if Lakeland isn't as strong as last year neither is STA

Even though I don't think casteel was great by any means he is still better than any of the current QBs on STA roster

We saw in 2017 how bad STA offense can be when lacking at least a decent QB, hell even Jake Allen wasn't all that great but he was good enough to manage to hold his own around a loaded team

On 5/9/2019 at 12:45 PM, GardenStateBaller said:

1. NS

2. SJB

3. STA

4. MD

5. SJC

6. DV

7. SFA

8. IMG

9. MAR

10. NAR

11. PCC

12. MC

13. SL

14. PICK

15. EC

16. GZ

17. SAG

18. BG

19. ALEDO

20. GRAY

21. SJP

22. AH

23. SLC

24. DMC

25. MLK

One upper...

North Sshore Tx
St. Johns Bosco Ca
St. Thomas Aquanis Fl
Mater Dai Ca
St. Johns College Md/Dc
Duncanville Tx
St. Francis Academy Md/DC
IMG Fl
Merietta Ga
Narbonne Ca
Central Bama
Miami Central Fl
St. Louis Hawaii
Pickerington Central Oh
15. Eastside Catholic Wash
Gonzaga Md/Dc
Saguaro Az
Bishop Gorman Nv
Aledo Tx
Grayson Ga
St. Joseph's Pa
Archbisgop Hoban Oh
Southlake Carroll Tx
DeMatha Md/Dc
Martin Luther King Mich

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Horsefly said:

Well, IMO the only Texas teams that should be preseason top 25 are duncanville and north shore.  The rest are nationally relevant but not this high to include Aledo.  (Aledo has very talented skill guys though:  4**** RB, 2 x 4**** WRs) 

Allen in a down year this coming season?

1 hour ago, Cat_Scratch said:

Allen in a down year this coming season?

Inexperienced.  They have young talent, just need time to play a few games and gel.  By end of year I expect them to be competitive with the best.

By 2020 expect Allen, LT and Katy to be back on top, both have talent coming up the pipeline  

• Like 1