It’s official, STA at DLS on 8/23

DLS350

17 hours ago, 954gator said:

If I had to bet on it I'd say STA, I'm not going to sandbag there, but it wouldn't surprise me if DLS won at home.    I said the same thing about Dematha last year as I just had no idea.    Then I thought STA would shut down Central's run game lol.   

It's just hard to predict these first games of the season without seeing how the QB is or even knowing who the QB is going to be etc.   

I’d bet on STA as well. But I agree with you that DLS has a shot at home, 1st game for both, with STA having to travel and times zones etc. I think that many DLS players will not used to playing a team like STA...especially in game one. This will be interesting and a hard hitting game. Hopefully golf will give us an update at QB soon. 

• Like 1

STA will be loaded but I haven't been that impressed with their coaching since George Smith retired. Cassulo and Harriott have underachieved. With all the kids they send to D1 and the NFL, you would think they would have performed better with all that talent.

If somehow STA could execute better from a coaching standpoint and fire on all cylinders like they used to, then I would love to see them in a matchup with Mater Dei. 

They lost to MC last year and Lakeland. They lost to Bishop Gorman and barely beat John Bosco in prior years. Defense was lights out against BG and JB but offense was in a drought those games. I think the offensive side of the ball is where they need to get their mojo back.

Maybe Cris Carter should come and coach the offense or just quit his TV gig and be head ball coach. Jason Taylor runs a great defense but they couldn't stop MC or Lakeland last year. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Thomas Roach said:

STA will be loaded but I haven't been that impressed with their coaching since George Smith retired. Cassulo and Harriott have underachieved. With all the kids they send to D1 and the NFL, you would think they would have performed better with all that talent.

If somehow STA could execute better from a coaching standpoint and fire on all cylinders like they used to, then I would love to see them in a matchup with Mater Dei. 

They lost to MC last year and Lakeland. They lost to Bishop Gorman and barely beat John Bosco in prior years. Defense was lights out against BG and JB but offense was in a drought those games. I think the offensive side of the ball is where they need to get their mojo back.

Maybe Cris Carter should come and coach the offense or just quit his TV gig and be head ball coach. Jason Taylor runs a great defense but they couldn't stop MC or Lakeland last year. 

They should play MD either way.   

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Thomas Roach said:

The year they lost to Bishop Gorman, on the road, by one point in triple overtime, BG was ranked #1 in the country. Bishop Gorman had won by thirty (30) in Texas over Cedar Hill, they won by 15 on the road at St. John Bosco, who won California Open title and finished ranked 2nd in the country following a blowout of DLS. In fact, every single game was a blowout win for #1 ranked BG...except for a 1-point 3OT win over STA, made possible by STA missing the easiest of field goals that would've ended it.

So, I get the wanting to poke fun of them, but let's not just outright misrepresent the truth! Every single team in the country would be exuberant to play STA, and every single fan/coach/player, if honest, would tell you they're not sure they'd win the game. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, badrouter said:

The year they lost to Bishop Gorman, on the road, by one point in triple overtime, BG was ranked #1 in the country. Bishop Gorman had won by thirty (30) in Texas over Cedar Hill, they won by 15 on the road at St. John Bosco, who won California Open title and finished ranked 2nd in the country following a blowout of DLS. In fact, every single game was a blowout win for #1 ranked BG...except for a 1-point 3OT win over STA, made possible by STA missing the easiest of field goals that would've ended it.

So, I get the wanting to poke fun of them, but let's not just outright misrepresent the truth! Every single team in the country would be exuberant to play STA, and every single fan/coach/player, if honest, would tell you they're not sure they'd win the game. 

Ahh the old jump over the snapper blocked kick.   SMH.   Great game though!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, badrouter said:

Last year though, weren't you the one who kept touting that Lakeland would beat STA ? You were sure on that one,  and you were right.

On 5/15/2019 at 4:02 PM, Blueliner said:

I cannot wait for this game! 

DLS will not be coming to the fight empty handed. Hale is going to break out this year. I personally think he’ll be maybe Tate Martell good when it’s all said and done (bold statement, I know). In the ballpark at least.

Top 3 RBs return plus Berry coming up from JV. The DL will be stout at 240 on the ends with 280 at the tackles. Loaded in the secondary with Garrett being the leader. TEs will be strong as usual. Receivers will be deep as well. Hearns will breakout this year and Daley’s already a stud he just had a great showing at the Nike Opening. DLS will be throwing...a lot... this year. 

That said, this will all come down to line play as usual. STA, who will be loaded everywhere themselves, will give DLS hell. DLS will have solid starters, but I’m not sure how deep they’ll be on both sides. Huge advantage STA. But TBH , I’m most worried about the LB corps after all 3 starters, plus the SS, all graduated. If I was STA, I’d run nonstop until proven otherwise. 

I’m just jacked that STA is coming to the double-O. BIG Thanks to STA and all who made this game happen. 😎👊💪

If DLS is to stay in game, they have eliminate to's, which seems to always be the case for them. If they can do that, and o-line is far enough along where they can run the veer halfway decent,  we could maybe see STA wear down in second half. In the past, STA always has seemed vulnerable to persistent running teams. But if you turn it over, then you don't have a chance against them

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

Last year though, weren't you the one who kept touting that Lakeland would beat STA ? You were sure on that one,  and you were right.

I've followed Lakeland football closely for 30+ years, and supplemented what I've observed with reading old newspaper clippings on microfilm. I was confident that the 2018 team was the best Lakeland ever had. So, that Lakeland was 5-2 all-time vs. STA coming in, it made sense to pick them again.

Now, for the part you won't like: I wouldn't pick ANY 2018 team against 2018 Lakeland. There would be some toss-ups, sure. But, no team that I would concede would beat that team. So, STA losing by two touchdowns to that team hardly made them some pathetic case. But, I realize that, because Lakeland didn't schedule a slapdick from a state other than Florida, nobody wants to give them much credit. They only want to knock STA. I mean Jeff Fisher's rankings had an eight-win Dematha team-who'd been running-clocked by STA-ahead of 15-0 Lakeland AFTER they knocked off STA. So, ultimately people are going to think what they think regardless of facts.

• Like 2

On 5/15/2019 at 7:02 PM, Blueliner said:

I cannot wait for this game! 

DLS will not be coming to the fight empty handed. Hale is going to break out this year. I personally think he’ll be maybe Tate Martell good when it’s all said and done (bold statement, I know). In the ballpark at least.

Top 3 RBs return plus Berry coming up from JV. The DL will be stout at 240 on the ends with 280 at the tackles. Loaded in the secondary with Garrett being the leader. TEs will be strong as usual. Receivers will be deep as well. Hearns will breakout this year and Daley’s already a stud he just had a great showing at the Nike Opening. DLS will be throwing...a lot... this year. 

That said, this will all come down to line play as usual. STA, who will be loaded everywhere themselves, will give DLS hell. DLS will have solid starters, but I’m not sure how deep they’ll be on both sides. Huge advantage STA. But TBH , I’m most worried about the LB corps after all 3 starters, plus the SS, all graduated. If I was STA, I’d run nonstop until proven otherwise. 

I’m just jacked that STA is coming to the double-O. BIG Thanks to STA and all who made this game happen. 😎👊💪

You said the same thing about Hale last year. His progress was minimal at best by the end of the season.

• Haha 1

I really hate it when top-notch teams play each other the very FIRST game of the season. I would prefer those powerhouse teams have, at least, one game under their belts before they play someone like that. It provides a better measuring stick on how good a team really is, especially DLS. I like that Hoover waits until deep into the season to play an OOS powerhouse, like they do with IMG. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CCBlackhatter said:

You said the same thing about Hale last year. His progress was minimal at best by the end of the season.

😂 ! Says the guy who lives 2500 miles away...AND hates DLS and CA.I saw the kid play in every game live (minus the Open). He was a a sophomore that did progress nicely, and will be better this year. The coaches and players around him will be better. You have no clue as to what you’re actually talking about...as usual. Stick to fallatiating GA 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Omaha Vol said:

I really hate it when top-notch teams play each other the very FIRST game of the season. I would prefer those powerhouse teams have, at least, one game under their belts before they play someone like that. It provides a better measuring stick on how good a team really is, especially DLS. I like that Hoover waits until deep into the season to play an OOS powerhouse, like they do with IMG. 

First game tilts are Excuse Thread Gold tho

• Haha 1

On 5/14/2019 at 1:27 PM, DLS_Spartan said:

Interesting the game starts at 630 instead of the usual 730. East coast courtesy?

STA required it because they’ve been listening to @Gardensateballer

I don’t remember DLS asking for STA to turn the humidity down in 2011 

there is nothing dumber than east coast teams complaining of being unfairly disadvantaged 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Blueliner said:

😂 ! Says the guy who lives 2500 miles away...AND hates DLS and CA.I saw the kid play in every game live (minus the Open). He was a a sophomore that did progress nicely, and will be better this year. The coaches and players around him will be better. You have no clue as to what you’re actually talking about...as usual. Stick to fallatiating GA 👍

This is from the guy that couldn’t control his giddiness about CQ “putting on a show” vs McEaxhern and disappeared when they lost to a team that a top 25 team ought to have boat raced (with previous losses to Parkview and Roswell, who lost to #2,100-something Wheeler)

nice to see he has no shame or memory but I’d prefer he not interrupt conversations among his betters 

If not for the Packer Touchdown Club putting more budget into internet publicity than challenges against half-decent OOS teams (not ISB), I doubt CQ gets mentioned much around here — they’re a good local GA team that’s nationally irrelevant 

• Haha 5

18 minutes ago, Pops said:

This is from the guy that couldn’t control his giddiness about CQ “putting on a show” vs McEaxhern and disappeared when they lost to a team that a top 25 team ought to have boat raced (with previous losses to Parkview and Roswell, who lost to #2,100-something Wheeler)

nice to see he has no shame or memory but I’d prefer he not interrupt conversations among his betters 

If not for the Packer Touchdown Club putting more budget into internet publicity than challenges against half-decent OOS teams (not ISB), I doubt CQ gets mentioned much around here — they’re a good local GA team that’s nationally irrelevant 

It’s always the little guy who feels left out that that chirp the loudest and are the most bitter. If ya can’t beat ‘em, hate on ‘em. And now that Rush is our, CC will be even less relevant nationally (sad trombone)🤣

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Omaha Vol said:

And that’s why they lose to Thompson and Hewit  or some teams like that..

. you gotta play these tough games first cause really at the end Of day ur trying to win that State Championship .. so after your team played that OOS team week 1 they fix their mistakes and are ready for anything thrown at them come playoffs

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 4:23 PM, Drummer61 said:

Against DBP they gave up 16 second half points and 150 yard....?? ....

Well, we have to look at that in context. 

In 2008, only St. X of OH held DBP to fewer points. That means that no NJ team held DBP to fewer points. What's more, DLS scored more points on DBP than any other team did that year, including St. X. 

• Like 4

On 5/15/2019 at 7:24 PM, 954gator said:

Don't get me wrong STA can play with anyone.  Including teams maybe DLS might struggle with, but they can also lose a game vs a team they have no business losing too.   

That's what I'm hoping for. STA seems to underachieve more than any other high profile team. They have an excellent record against OOS teams and almost always have the guys to play with anyone in the country, but sometimes they don't quite show up or are missing a key piece of the puzzle (or both). 

I think DLS will be able to do more on offense than they have in the recent past, because of their QB and their position players, but I think that defense is going to take a step back this year. And going by 247sports, the gap in individual talent between the two teams is significant and should be hard for DLS to overcome. DLS will have to open up the play book and STA will have to play below their talent in order for DLS to squeak out a win at home. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, CCBlackhatter said:

He looked like a miniature Patrick Mahomes in the Open, running from MD's monsters and throwing side-arm to hit the open guys. And he did that as a sophomore. Give the kid some credit. DLS put 21 on MD, while averaging about an inch per carry. Those 3 scores are largely to Hale's credit.

• Like 2