It’s official, STA at DLS on 8/23

DLS350

34 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

And that’s why they lose to Thompson and Hewit  or some teams like that..

Thompson was legitimately better last year. Losing to Hewitt-Trussville like they did was an aberration. 

I believe the Bucs open up with Phenix City Central, so they aren’t playing a slappy right out of the gate either. 

On 5/15/2019 at 7:02 PM, Blueliner said:

I cannot wait for this game! 

DLS will not be coming to the fight empty handed. Hale is going to break out this year. I personally think he’ll be maybe Tate Martell good when it’s all said and done (bold statement, I know). In the ballpark at least.

Top 3 RBs return plus Berry coming up from JV. [...]

What's the 411 on Berry? Is he the RB I've been hearing good things about?

I'm hoping the kid who was a sophomore last year (Mekhi?) will get more reps this year. I think he offers a nice contrast to Garrett: he's bigger and more physical. Coby's quick, but like Garrett, he's small and didn't seem to get a lot of yards after contact. Coby and Garrett seemed like the same back to me: they're at their best in the open field.

I don't expect STA to give DLS's backs too many opportunities to make a play in the open field. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

That's what I'm hoping for. STA seems to underachieve more than any other high profile team. They have an excellent record against OOS teams and almost always have the guys to play with anyone in the country, but sometimes they don't quite show up or are missing a key piece of the puzzle (or both). 

I think DLS will be able to do more on offense than they have in the recent past, because of their QB and their position players, but I think that defense is going to take a step back this year. And going by 247sports, the gap in individual talent between the two teams is significant and should be hard for DLS to overcome. DLS will have to open up the play book and STA will have to play below their talent in order for DLS to squeak out a win at home. 

Sounds about right to me. The stars will need to align. Good take, BB.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

What's the 411 on Berry? Is he the RB I've been hearing good things about?

I'm hoping the kid who was a sophomore last year (Mekhi?) will get more reps this year. I think he offers a nice contrast to Garrett: he's bigger and more physical. Coby's quick, but like Garrett, he's small and didn't seem to get a lot of yards after contact. Coby and Garrett seemed like the same back to me: they're at their best in the open field.

I don't expect STA to give DLS's backs too many opportunities to make a play in the open field. 

Berry looks good. But, for now, he’s kinda on the mold of Garrett and Coby. Only a sophomore, tho. If he fills out, watch out. Man among boys as a freshman playing on JV. Mekhi Norfleet is s much bigger/physical RB. He’s going to he in the  6-0 195-200 range as a junior. Heralded coming out of youth leagues. Great pedigree in that family too. 

Interesting that you mention “open field” about Garrett and Coby. I think that we’ll see these guys in the slot this year. Why? Both, especially Garrett, received high praise from coaches regarding their ability to catch passes during camps this offseason. With Daley and Hearns as the every down wideouts, that could open up some room in the slot for Garrett and Coby. With Hale as a junior, this should be DLS’s most dynamic passing attack that we’ve seen in awhile...maybe ever. 

Hopefully, successful passing will translate to making it tougher for STA to account for the veer. 

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Mighta gotten blown up though if it was full go. Strong catch nonetheless. Daley (6-2 185) has one offer from UC Davis. He’ll get more. This kid’s a stud. STA, unfortunately, will have 4 guys like him☹️

....and also Garrett received offers from Sac State and San Jose State over the past week. He’ll get more as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blueliner said:

Berry looks good. But, for now, he’s kinda on the mold of Garrett and Coby. Only a sophomore, tho. If he fills out, watch out. Man among boys as a freshman playing on JV. Mekhi Norfleet is s much bigger/physical RB. He’s going to he in the  6-0 195-200 range as a junior. Heralded coming out of youth leagues. Great pedigree in that family too. 

Interesting that you mention “open field” about Garrett and Coby. I think that we’ll see these guys in the slot this year. Why? Both, especially Garrett, received high praise from coaches regarding their ability to catch passes during camps this offseason. With Daley and Hearns as the every down wideouts, that could open up some room in the slot for Garrett and Coby. With Hale as a junior, this should be DLS’s most dynamic passing attack that we’ve seen in awhile...maybe ever. 

Hopefully, successful passing will translate to making it tougher for STA to account for the veer. 

Thoughts?

It can't hurt, but STA will have all summer to prepare for the veer. With that amount of time and their personnel, they should be able to create all sorts of problems for the veer, even if they have to respect the pass. Who knows, but I'm thinking that DLS is going to struggle to move the ball on the ground. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

It can't hurt, but STA will have all summer to prepare for the veer. With that amount of time and their personnel, they should be able to create all sorts of problems for the veer, even if they have to respect the pass. Who knows, but I'm thinking that DLS is going to struggle to move the ball on the ground. 

I agree. STA’s defensive personnel are going to be tough on Sparty. Even Folsom did well against DLS with all summer to prepare. This is just a flat out tough first game. Jeez coach! 🤣

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Blueliner said:
[...]

....and also Garrett received offers from Sac State and San Jose State over the past week. He’ll get more as well. 

I don't know whether you saw or whether you put any stock in such things, but someone (Maxpreps?) selected Garrett for their All-Combine Team (or whatever they called it.) He was invited to that combine that is associated with the Army-All American game. They said he stood out among running backs for, among other things, his hands. So, that fits nicely with your thought that we might see him running routes against STA. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

I agree. STA’s defensive personnel are going to be tough on Sparty. Even Folsom did well against DLS with all summer to prepare. This is just a flat out tough first game. Jeez coach! 🤣

I like the idea (I'm not sure who said it, but I read it on this forum) that such a tough first game will give DLS an excellent reason to work hard over the summer. And if they can keep it close against a team like STA, it should give them confidence going into the Open, assuming they make it there. Losing convincingly for three straight seasons has to have a negative effect on the psychology of some of the players. So, I think it's certainly a risk, but a calculated one. It might very well pay off for DLS. 

4 hours ago, Omaha Vol said:

Thompson was legitimately better last year. Losing to Hewitt-Trussville like they did was an aberration. 

I believe the Bucs open up with Phenix City Central, so they aren’t playing a slappy right out of the gate either. 

SOLID team last year. 

4 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

I like the idea (I'm not sure who said it, but I read it on this forum) that such a tough first game will give DLS an excellent reason to work hard over the summer. And if they can keep it close against a team like STA, it should give them confidence going into the Open, assuming they make it there. Losing convincingly for three straight seasons has to have a negative effect on the psychology of some of the players. So, I think it's certainly a risk, but a calculated one. It might very well pay off for DLS. 

I'm gratified that someone remembered what I said.  You are correct in that DLS will need to play a Tier 1 preseason to vet out their players and plays in order to compete in the SBG.  Their regular season and playoffs won't tell the coaches anything about the kids.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

I'm gratified that someone remembered what I said.  You are correct in that DLS will need to play a Tier 1 preseason to vet out their players and plays in order to compete in the SBG.  Their regular season and playoffs won't tell the coaches anything about the kids.

‘Baugh was listening to ya also. He said the same thing...gotta play MD/SJB-caliber teams in order to compete for state! 

• Like 3

On 5/15/2019 at 6:24 PM, 954gator said:

Don't get me wrong STA can play with anyone.  Including teams maybe DLS might struggle with, but they can also lose a game vs a team they have no business losing too.   

If STA can lose to Cooper City and Archbishop Rummel can lose to Escambia anything is possible in HSFB.

Sometimes the ball just doesn't go in the hoop whatever your name is.

STA should win this game large, but you never know.

It's cool they are playing again though.

Need more rematches and less one-hit wonder OOS games.

• Like 2

Just thought I'd point something out in case it wasn't obvious: STA isn't playing DLS to try to get better and climb back to the top in Florida. Or, at least they'd be fools if that's why they were playing this game. There are absolutely ZERO teams STA may face that look anything like DLS. Totally different animals. Of course there are other reasons to play the game. But an honest discussion about reasons  for playing this game should involve those other things, not the idea that DLS is going to somehow prep them for Lakeland or Columbia or Armwood or Miramar.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Blueliner said:

Thoughts?

The little I saw of Berry, I was extremely impressed.  He definitely was a man among boys on JV.  

As for the passing game, Hale will need to roll out to get the time to throw because a straight drop back won't work imo.  HB and WR screens, play action roll out, etc.  

Don't like playing these games so early but playing them later didn't help DLS last time so who knows.

Hope i can make it down.  

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

The little I saw of Berry, I was extremely impressed.  He definitely was a man among boys on JV.  

As for the passing game, Hale will need to roll out to get the time to throw because a straight drop back won't work imo.  HB and WR screens, play action roll out, etc.  

Don't like playing these games so early but playing them later didn't help DLS last time so who knows.

Hope i can make it down.  

Berry is tall. But a little skinny still. Like I said, if he fills out...💪🙏

I agree with your assessment. There will be some drop backs, but Hale is a really good athlete with a strong/accurate arm. The coaches know it. He’s got other solid athletes to throw to. They’ll get him moving around a lot and delivering the rock from many formations trying to create space. Coaches say he’s got pretty much a mastery of the offense already. Just needs to get experience, and get bigger and stronger. The playbook will open up (and I’m sure more wrinkles will be added) as he progresses. This MAY be a DLS squad that we haven’t recognized before. 

Whatchu talkin’ ’bout, Willis!? You’d BETTER make it down. 😎

• Like 2