Young voters are leaving Bernie

HSFBfan

11 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch said:

Takes so much energy/strength to surf in those thick 4 and 5 mil wetsuits. Good thing is you float to the surface faster after a big wipeout. I would surf with those guys anytime. If they are Jersey guys, I have a lot of respect for them. 

New wetsuits these groms use are nothing like the old 5 mil sealskins we used lol... still a 4/3 may not cut it some days...

probably in the 40's that day, and that's just a bunch of local semi-pros that have taken advantage of youtube and such.

10 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch said:

Those waves remind me a lot of my Hatteras trips.

Agreed. Both Barrier Island beachbreak...Hatteras is as close to Jersey waves as you can get.  Love Hatteras lol.  

1 minute ago, Troll said:

New wetsuits these groms use are nothing like the old 5 mil sealskins we used lol... still a 4/3 may not cut it some days...

probably in the 40's that day, and that's just a bunch of local semi-pros that have taken advantage of youtube and such.

Agreed. Both Barrier Island beachbreak...Hatteras is as close to Jersey waves as you can get.  Love Hatteras lol.  

I knew you were a waterman just buy the way to responded. 

I only surf in 2 mil anymore... I'm not so hard core anymore. 

10 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch said:

I knew you were a waterman just buy the way to responded. 

I only surf in 2 mil anymore... I'm not so hard core anymore. 

If you wanted to Surf in Seaside, you had to get past me, lol .....worked/guarded  the only surfing beach for miles around for years haha.  

and color me jealous. haha There is a reason people are called numbskulls 😄

See the source image

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Troll said:

If you wanted to Surf in Seaside, you had to get past me, lol .....worked the only surfing beach for miles around for years haha.  

and color me jealous. haha There is a reason people are called numbskulls 😄

See the source image

I've come out of the water Numb more than once...  I'm sure you have had your share of walking on nubs after being in the cold water.

1 minute ago, dan in daytona said:

Mine was Fortran......another oldie  :)

You are OLD... lol, just kidding Dan... Fortran was the future, well, till Pascal came out. 

Just give me basic and an assembler and I'm good. I still have my old Basic computer guide. I thought about putting it on ebay. hah...

• Like 1

Warm water is nice, I hardly ever wear rubber more. It makes me to tired. 

I ride a 7'2" Star board. Have to repair my 8"6" spear. Also have a 7"10" epoxy funshape that is so fun on 3 to 5 foot surf.

Anyway, I only go out 2 or 3 times a month lately... was almost everyday before I got married. Working the night shift, I could always hit it when the waves were good. Not so much since I retired. My wife thinks I work for her now.  

• Haha 1

Just now, Cat_Scratch said:

You are OLD... lol, just kidding Dan... Fortran was the future, well, till Pascal came out. 

Just give me basic and an assembler and I'm good. I still have my old Basic computer guide. I thought about putting it on ebay. hah...

Pascal was just a teaching language (think of like Latin) and never left academia, Fortran was for engineering and calculative processes but only saw a lot of business implementation combined with other languages such as COBOL which was business's workhorse, and assembler was only good for diving into to prove that those big blue idiots in Rochester screwed up again...….don't ask me how I know...

BTW: If you make any coin on those guides let me know....still got some ASCII EBCDIC charts and some punch cards lying around somewhere....lol

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch said:

Now how does that Do Loop go with this stack of punch cards...."That looks nothing like a Christmas tree."....my extent of CS-101, at DBCC.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch said:

Warm water is nice, I hardly ever wear rubber more. It makes me to tired. 

I ride a 7'2" Star board. Have to repair my 8"6" spear. Also have a 7"10" epoxy funshape that is so fun on 3 to 5 foot surf.

Anyway, I only go out 2 or 3 times a month lately... was almost everyday before I got married. Working the night shift, I could always hit it when the waves were good. Not so much since I retired. My wife thinks I work for her now.  

My quiver is a 5'10 rounded pin, a 6'4 rounded pin, and a 6'9 rounded pintail for normal waves. 

For novelty waves I've got and old single Rhino chaser minigun, a beater longboard, and an old 5'2" swallowtail twin. 😄

Last time out was in October...... so jonesing 😯

14 minutes ago, Troll said:

My quiver is a 5'10 rounded pin, a 6'4 rounded pin, and a 6'9 rounded pintail for normal waves. 

For novelty waves I've got and old single Rhino chaser minigun, a beater longboard, and an old 5'2" swallowtail twin. 😄

Last time out was in October...... so jonesing 😯

Nice quiver. 5'10 is a little short for me. I weigh in at 180. I need some meat in my boards. Love rounded pins, very responsive, and hold well in big waves. On small waves in Florida I liked the Fish at 5"10 to 6'0. Wide tails to keep the speed through the flats, turns fast, but them days are pretty much gone for me.

Anyways, pray for surf, :) Going back to that Chris Langan video Chimp put up in the OT forum. I had to take a mind break for a few... Going to have it on loop tonight while I'm awake. Try to expand my mind some.

1 hour ago, Cat_Scratch said:

Nice quiver. 5'10 is a little short for me. I weigh in at 180. I need some meat in my boards. Love rounded pins, very responsive, and hold well in big waves. On small waves in Florida I liked the Fish at 5"10 to 6'0. Wide tails to keep the speed through the flats, turns fast, but them days are pretty much gone for me.

Anyways, pray for surf, :) Going back to that Chris Langan video Chimp put up in the OT forum. I had to take a mind break for a few... Going to have it on loop tonight while I'm awake. Try to expand my mind some.

the 5'10 is not rideable in a suit, and pretty much sucks wind to paddle.  I've sat around the 6'4  for years, but the 6'9 has gotten most of the action in recently.

Rounded pins are the best (for me) for hollow waves and late drops and holding a bottom turn (a Jersey staple).  The thrusters in that size range seem to carve a bit better or 'deeper' suitable to my 'oldschool' style lol  .  Grew up on twins and swallows for the smaller stuff, but always liked the squashtails (or even a bumpsquash) over a fish for a shortboard or on 'no-push' waves.  A fish shaped longboard is a different story, they seem to release/turn better, those I like.

Funny how it has just been recently that everyone just figured out how fast a twin can be compared to thruster lol

So who remembers the old leashes (could be called a 'real' shock cord lol) made of a short rope covered by a slightly shorter surgical tube, with a no-release leather slip shackle? Now THAT'S old hahaha

ps. just catching up and saw that other thread you mentioned, will check it out.  

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 7:44 PM, Cat_Scratch said:

I would surf with those guys anytime. If they are Jersey guys, I have a lot of respect for them. 

One of the Dude's in that lineup Vlogs NJ surf life almost daily (has been for a few years)…

You might appreciate some of his work (for those mind breaks lol)...

He's got WAY to much posted to try to recommend which is best, but as examples....

This was HIS perspective Vlog from that one day in the other clips....

and this is the one he posted just a few hours ago... 

enjoy lol

11 hours ago, Troll said:

One of the Dude's in that lineup Vlogs NJ surf life almost daily (has been for a few years)…

You might appreciate some of his work (for those mind breaks lol)...

He's got WAY to much posted to try to recommend which is best, but as examples....

This was HIS perspective Vlog from that one day in the other clips....

and this is the one he posted just a few hours ago... 

enjoy lol

Yep, these guys are core... like the vids. I know a little about getting pounded by 12 footers. 

a couple of me and my gopro. 

Cat Scratch 0.jpg

Cat Scratch 4.jpg

Cat Scratch 9.jpg

What makes you guys so core is how you charge in freezing water. Make the drop and you have a nice reward...

The little 5 '8 or so square tail twin fin space heater with the green bottom and pineapples on it looked like a nice summer board for our type of breaks. 

I'm headed to Mexico in the morning. Was taking my board but I wreck my knee umpiring a game tonight. Can barely bend it. 75 MPH or so fast ball into the knee cap. Yeah, I took off the shin guards cause one was messed up. Dumb...

Thanks for sharing the vids.

2 hours ago, HSFBfan said:

Know all about them, but there is no artificial waves that comes close to Mother natures yet and never will...if you couldn't tell by the previous vids the are two entirely different animals and one is wild...

I think the best chance (tho it still wouldn't get remotely close) would be the 5-wave design that the Auzzies are working on...

Very nice indeed...

but still … you actually  seriously gonna try and compare that to Mother Nature????

I give you...30 foot faces inches from dry reef on a mutant faced Monster 😲

LOL

• 8 months later...
On 5/22/2019 at 6:29 PM, Cat_Scratch said:

No waves yet. My knee is some better but I'm still cautious. I'll come back again in a month with a board.

Haa, who would have thought Drew Brees surfs?

Just figured you would appreciate some winter East Coast surf....

There is a reason Christmas day was usually my last day in for a while.

Some reeling waves can drag one in tho...

Wave selection LOL