Notable/Semi-Notable Maryland OOS Games

eaglesinsider

Just ones that have stood out as I've been gathering the Maryland schedules. Not including WCAC conference games as OOS here:

8/16- Silver Oak vs. Saint Joseph's Football North (Canada) (in Syracuse, NY)

8/23- Laguna Beach (CA) at Green Street Academy

8/23- Clayton Valley Charter (CA) at Royalty Institute

8/23- Saint Vincent Pallotti at West Toronto Prep (Canada)

8/24- Imani Christian (PA) at National Christian

8/24- Saint Frances at Miami Central (FL)

8/24- Capital Harbor Prep (CT) at Silver Oak

8/24- DeMatha at Saint John Bosco (CA)

8/30- Bishop McDevitt (Harrisburg, PA) at Archbishop Spalding

8/30- McDonogh at Malvern Prep (PA)

8/30- Imhotep Charter (PA) at DeMatha

8/30- Charlotte Catholic (NC) at Good Counsel

8/31- Maryland Freedom (Home School) at Archbishop Wood (PA)

8/31- Simeon (IL) at Saint Frances

9/6- Superior Collegiate (FL) at Saint Frances

9/6- Archbishop Spalding at Bishop Moore (FL)

9/6- Woodland Hills (PA) at Calvert Hall

9/6- Berks Catholic (PA) at McDonogh

9/6- Archbishop Wood (PA) at Saint Mary's Ryken

9/7- Franklin at Saint Anthony's (NY)

9/7- Delbarton (NJ) at Landon

9/13- Fort Hill at Morgantown (WV)

9/13- Smyrna (DE) at Glenelg

9/13- Good Counsel at Saint John Bosco (CA)

9/14- Saint Frances vs. Mater Dei (CA) at Saint John Bosco (CA)

9/20- Norland (FL) at Saint Frances

9/20- Saint Ignatius (OH) at DeMatha

9/20- Saint Mary's Ryken at East Ridge (FL)

9/27- Texas School for the Deaf (TX) at Maryland School for the Deaf

9/27- Archbishop Spalding at Malvern Prep (PA)

9/27- Life Christian (VA) at DeMatha

9/27- Friendship Collegiate (DC) at Good Counsel

9/27- Bishop Sullivan (VA) at Saint Mary's Ryken

9/28- Urbana at Broad Run (VA)

9/28- Saint Frances at Saint Joseph Regional (NJ)

10/4- Saint Frances at Venice (FL)

10/4- Life Christian (VA) at Archbishop Spalding

10/4- Friendship Collegiate (DC) at DeMatha

10/11- National Christian at Steubenville (OH)

10/11- Friendship Collegiate (DC) at Riverdale Baptist

10/11- Saint Frances at Life Christian (VA)

10/11- Bishop Sullivan (VA) at McDonogh

10/12- Linganore at Penns Grove (NJ)

10/18- Broad Run (VA) at Winston Churchill

10/18- IMG Academy (FL) at Saint Frances

10/19- Royalty Institute vs. Friendship Collegiate (DC)

10/26- Maryland School for the Deaf at Mississippi School for the Deaf (MS)

10/26- Saint Thomas More (CT) at Saint Frances

11/1- National Christian at Saint Edward (OH)

11/8- Clarkson Football North (Canada) at Saint Frances

• Like 4

Also of note is a number of good MD public schools playing good OOS competition for the first time in a long time:

9/7- Franklin at Saint Anthony's (NY)

- Franklin has won 3 3A State Championships (2013,2014,2018) and added former McDonogh HC Dom Damico as DC in the offseason

- Saint Anthony's is coming off a 7-2 season with both losses (to Archbishop Spalding (MD) and Cardinal Hayes) by 1-point each.

9/13- Fort Hill at Morgantown (WV)

- Fort Hill has won 5 1A State Championships since 2013

- Morgantown is a much leager (WV AAA) school but has not won a state championship since 2005

9/13- Smyrna (DE) at Glenelg

- Glenelg was Class 2A Runner-Up in 2018

- Smyrna won DE Division 1 State Championships in 2015, 2016 and 2017

10/12- Linganore at Penns Grove (NJ)

- Linganore were the 2017 3A State Champs and the 2018 3A Runners-Up

- Penns Grove was undefeated NJISAA South Group 1 Champions in 2018

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ararar said:

Did I miss SJC vs Duncanville?

SJC is DC and I don't bother with the schedules for the DC teams or include them in MD. Might just be my thing but is always seemed cheap taking credit/blame for their losses.

Plus the DC public schools are a mess and I just don't feel like hunting down schedules for teams I really don't care about. I have enough trouble with Baltimore City and the random little private schools. Probably won't have completed schedules for everyone until mid-August.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MA Fan said:

EasternPAFootball has Bishop McDevitt of Harrisburg playing Gettysburg on 8/30. Spalding might be playing the PCL Bishop McDevitt.

Broad Run and Churchill could be a decent game, what does Churchill have coming back?

Yeah, wrong McDevitt on my part. Not as good of a game then.

Churchill should be pretty good again. It's Montgomery County so you never know till the transfers all shake themselves though.

Quince Orchard should be a borderline Top 100 team this year. Most of their 4A State Championship team coming back and added several transfers including one from GC.

National Christian at St. Ed’s?  Will be a Woodson like score.

Question:  last year Quince Orchard was part of a three way scrimmage at Westfield with DeMatha.  Several Westfield parents told me that they and Quince Orchard might play this year.

Do you know if anything came of that?  Would be an incredible game with MD’s best against VA’s best, both in the DC suburbs.

2 hours ago, BigDrop said:

Question:  last year Quince Orchard was part of a three way scrimmage at Westfield with DeMatha.  Several Westfield parents told me that they and Quince Orchard might play this year.

Do you know if anything came of that?  Would be an incredible game with MD’s best against VA’s best, both in the DC suburbs.

Here's Westfield's schedule:

https://www.westfieldathletics.org/main/teamschedule/id/4035/seasonid/4438323

They are just scrimmaging at QO. Looks like no scrimmage with DeMatha this year.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, eaglesinsider said:

SJC is DC and I don't bother with the schedules for the DC teams or include them in MD. Might just be my thing but is always seemed cheap taking credit/blame for their losses.

Plus the DC public schools are a mess and I just don't feel like hunting down schedules for teams I really don't care about. I have enough trouble with Baltimore City and the random little private schools. Probably won't have completed schedules for everyone until mid-August.

It gets tricky when you add half of the WCAC teams to anything. Teams like DeMatha, SJC, Gonzaga, etc... have players that live in MD, DC, and VA with the large majority being from MD. I get what you’re saying about the DC public teams, but when it comes to the WCAC I think they need to be piggy backed or left out as a whole. Just my .02 on that. 

Quince Orchard won’t be top or fringe 100. They need to play and beat a team like Good Counsel or a top MIAA for that honor. They took in a bunch of transfers, including a couple from GC and DM and have a great coaching staff, but winning MD 4A isn’t enough for top 100. It never has been. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BigDrop said:

National Christian has taken in double digit transfers and has a few top recruits already. They are talented, but it hasn’t come together yet on the field. Interesting squad to keep an eye on though.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MA Fan said:

They are just scrimmaging at QO. Looks like no scrimmage with DeMatha this year.

Really interesting:  DeMatha and Westfield have scrimmaged at least ten or more consecutive years with Bill starting the relationship.  Wonder why they are not scrimmaging?

1 hour ago, NicholasMalibu said:

It gets tricky when you add half of the WCAC teams to anything. Teams like DeMatha, SJC, Gonzaga, etc... have players that live in MD, DC, and VA with the large majority being from MD. I get what you’re saying about the DC public teams, but when it comes to the WCAC I think they need to be piggy backed or left out as a whole. Just my .02 on that. 

Quince Orchard won’t be top or fringe 100. They need to play and beat a team like Good Counsel or a top MIAA for that honor. They took in a bunch of transfers, including a couple from GC and DM and have a great coaching staff, but winning MD 4A isn’t enough for top 100. It never has been. 

Keep in mind the GC transfers were flunking out the OL was overweight and benched by year end the TE lost about 30 pounds going into 2019 ...With that said the difference between the WCAC and 4A public school football is massive as you know so these kids will probs dominate 

37 minutes ago, DMV said:

Keep in mind the GC transfers were flunking out the OL was overweight and benched by year end the TE lost about 30 pounds going into 2019 ...With that said the difference between the WCAC and 4A public school football is massive as you know so these kids will probs dominate 

I get it. DeMatha has had something like 11 players transfer out since McGregor took the job. National Christian, Quince Orchard, Sherwood, Northwest, etc... all have received former DM players with D1 offers already. For the majority of those transfers, it was due to a mixture of playing time and academics. I’ll head over to the MD public school forums from time to time to read the hilarious conspiracy theories as to why these kids are leaving the WCAC schools. It’s a good laugh if you ever have time.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NicholasMalibu said:

I get it. DeMatha has had something like 11 players transfer out since McGregor took the job. National Christian, Quince Orchard, Sherwood, Northwest, etc... all have received former DM players with D1 offers already. For the majority of those transfers, it was due to a mixture of playing time and academics. I’ll head over to the MD public school forums from time to time to read the hilarious conspiracy theories as to why these kids are leaving the WCAC schools. It’s a good laugh if you ever have time.  

So true ... It is a good laugh !!! Its like they are getting these incredible Power 5 juggernauts and I am like whhhhhaaat 🙃

23 minutes ago, Omaha Vol said:

Except back in the Seneca Valley days....

Seneca Valley was good, but MD/DC football has changed tremendously over the past 20 years. It’s a long story, but it has a lot to do with the leadership of our youth programs changing the status quo. If you look at the USAT ‘19 preseason rankings we have 4 teams in the top 25. That’s 1/5th of the teams from one metro area which historically has been considered a basketball hotbed. Also, if you compare rosters from the top MD/DC teams in the 90’s and 10’s, you’ll see a major difference in talent. DeMatha was loaded, but that’s it. Seneca Valley was lucky to have 1 kid play P-5 every 2-3 years. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NicholasMalibu said:

If Quince Orchard were to play the same schedule as DeMatha, GC or Gonzaga they would be lucky to be .500. They wouldn't win 3 games playing SJCs schedule. No way are they a top 100 team. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NicholasMalibu said:

Seneca Valley was good, but MD/DC football has changed tremendously over the past 20 years. It’s a long story, but it has a lot to do with the leadership of our youth programs changing the status quo. If you look at the USAT ‘19 preseason rankings we have 4 teams in the top 25. That’s 1/5th of the teams from one metro area which historically has been considered a basketball hotbed. Also, if you compare rosters from the top MD/DC teams in the 90’s and 10’s, you’ll see a major difference in talent. DeMatha was loaded, but that’s it. Seneca Valley was lucky to have 1 kid play P-5 every 2-3 years. 

I was referring to Maryland only and not including DC. The DC teams dominate the area in football and basketball. I can only recall SV on the public side and, of course, Gilman and Poly from Baltimore being any good in the past. 

I don't know if our old friends at Royalty Institute have run into some funding issues but Clayton Valley Charter (CA) was looking for a game on FootballScoop today for the same week they were supposed to play Royalty Institute so not a good look there. Royalty Institute has McKinley Tech (DC) listed on that date now.

Maybe once they get their mobile hotspots up and running someone at Royalty Institute can enlighten us.

10 hours ago, NicholasMalibu said:

Serious?  That many have transferred out?  In 30+ years of Bill building DeMatha’s program nothing like this ever happened before.  Is the depth there to support DM if there are injuries?

1 hour ago, BigDrop said:

Serious?  That many have transferred out?  In 30+ years of Bill building DeMatha’s program nothing like this ever happened before.  Is the depth there to support DM if there are injuries?

Yes DM is fine. Most of the players that left would have been fighting to get on the field. The DL/OL was very crowded since they were so young last year. I also wouldn’t be surprised to see one or two more transfers in. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, NicholasMalibu said:

Yes DM is fine. Most of the players that left would have been fighting to get on the field. The DL/OL was very crowded since they were so young last year. I also wouldn’t be surprised to see one or two more transfers in. 

GC added a much much needed  2021 6-3 285 OL transfer who will play OG next to Landon 

On 5/16/2019 at 2:52 AM, MA Fan said:

In a double scrimmage last year, DeMatha's 1st team scrimmaged QO and DM's 2nd and 3rd teams scrimmaged Westfield right after.  Westfield had its starting offense the entire scrimmage and couldn't move the ball against DM's backups.  Crazy but it happened. 

On 5/17/2019 at 7:42 AM, DMV said:

GC added a much much needed  2021 6-3 285 OL transfer who will play OG next to Landon 

Nice. Their rising sophomore QB, who was their starter towards the end of the season last year, has good potential to show his dual threat capability in that offense with a line.