St. Ignatius: their toughest schedule ever? Chicago Loyola, at DeMatha, Florida and 2 Defending Ohio State Chsmpions.

BigDrop

St. Ignatius has a really challenging schedule:  at DeMatha, at Chicago Loyola (121-18 since 2009), hosting Florida Rockledge (thread below on how good they will be) and taking on Archbishop Hoban (undefeated in ‘18, 57-3-1 in last four years), plus St. Ed’s, Moeller, St. X and more.

How good will Iggy be this year to take on a schedule like this?  

St. Ed’s schedule does not seem to compare.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Solid Midwest schedule. Rockledge adds nothing to it. If you’re gonna play a FL public, play Lakeland, MC, CC, etc. Better yet, play STA, CG, Columbus or AHP instead. Apples to apples. Vgood, not great by any stretch. 

Quit trashing Rockledge because they are not a client. It’s unethical. Lol. 

Cardinal Gibbons is a disgrace. They got destroyed by Miami Central and Milton. Non competitive. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It is rare for Iggy to travel 350 miles (Berwick twice in ‘90’s) but this year they are doing it twice near D.C. and Chicago playing top programs in each city.  Hoban and Ed’s are also defending Ohio state champions.  Arguably Florida Rockledge is strong, too.  And, Moeller, St. X and Canton McKinley along with Solon.

Five strong teams?  Six that they are playing?

I believe this is an ambitious schedule that goes far beyond merely the Midwest.  Chuck Kyle must have 40 or so years in at Iggy but I don’t remember any regular season schedule like this.

Deep respect for who he is playing.  He’s had some great teams in the past.  I just wonder if he believes this could be one?

Anyone have an opinion?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Solid Midwest schedule. Rockledge adds nothing to it. If you’re gonna play a FL public, play Lakeland, MC, CC, etc. Better yet, play STA, CG, Columbus or AHP instead. Apples to apples. Vgood, not great by any stretch. 

Good one.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

13 hours ago, BigDrop said:

It is rare for Iggy to travel 350 miles (Berwick twice in ‘90’s) but this year they are doing it twice near D.C. and Chicago playing top programs in each city.  Hoban and Ed’s are also defending Ohio state champions.  Arguably Florida Rockledge is strong, too.  And, Moeller, St. X and Canton McKinley along with Solon.

Five strong teams?  Six that they are playing?

I believe this is an ambitious schedule that goes far beyond merely the Midwest.  Chuck Kyle must have 40 or so years in at Iggy but I don’t remember any regular season schedule like this.

Deep respect for who he is playing.  He’s had some great teams in the past.  I just wonder if he believes this could be one?

Anyone have an opinion?

The schedule is more a reflection of the current landscape the large private schools in Ohio are facing rather than Ignatius expecting a monster year. There simply aren't enough willing teams to fill out a schedule with local opponents. 

As for Ignatius' outlook in 2019, they bring back some solid talent on offense. The progression of QB Griffin Hanna will be key. He'll have good targets to throw to in WR Conor Cmeil and TE Sam Daugstrup. RB/SS Jack Welsh also returns. A couple of the lineman have D1 offers I believe. More question marks on defense after graduating Tommy Eichenberg (OSU) and Jett Elad (Ohio U). But with the numbers in their program, there are usually guys ready to step up. And they are obviously a very well coached bunch every season. This schedule may prove too much for them, but if they can make it through with minimal losses they will be a tough out in the playoffs. 

• Thanks 1