Geico / ESPN games released

Las Vegas_JC

https://www.maxpreps.com/m/article.aspx?articleid=0c0a794f-66e9-4b67-8b33-69ae2d3b314f

At least a half-dozen nationally-ranked teams will take the field Aug. 23-25 as part of the 2019 ESPN GEICO High School Football Kickoff.

Games will be available throughout the weekend on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and the ESPN App.

Seventeen of the players expected to participate have already committed to FBS programs. 

Here is the complete schedule (all times Eastern):

Friday, Aug. 23
6 p.m. – Mallard Creek (Charlotte, N.C.) at Dutch Fork (Irmo, S.C.), ESPN2
9:30 p.m. – St. Thomas Aquinas (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) at De La Salle (Concord, Calif.), ESPNU

Saturday, Aug. 24
Noon – St. Frances Academy (Baltimore, Md.) at Central (Miami, Fla.), ESPN
4 p.m. – Deerfield Beach (Fla.) at Carol City (Miami, Fla.), ESPNU
9 p.m. – DeMatha (Hyattsville, Md.) at St. John Bosco (Bellflower, Calif.), ESPN2
11 p.m. – Narbonne (Harbor City, Calif.) at Buchanan (Clovis, Calif.), ESPNU

Sunday, Aug. 25
2 p.m. – Southern Columbia Area (Catawissa, Pa.) at Hammond (Columbia, S.C.)

MaxPreps will release its preseason national rankings July 22 but expect St. Frances Academy-Miami Central to be a battle of Top 10 teams. Aquinas-De La Salle and DeMatha-Bosco will also likely pit nationally-ranked teams against one another.

Sunday's matchup will feature two of the top five senior prospects in the country as No. 1 overall Jordan Burch – a 6-foot-5, 250-pound defensive end – leads Hammond against star wide receiver Julian Fleming of Southern Columbia.

• Thanks 3
  • Like 8

55 minutes ago, NotBigdaddybloom said:

So I’m curious. How do MD, SJB and DLS get to play on ESPN? My angst lies in the fact that the CIF has an exclusive contract with FoxSports. 

And don’t come at me with the ole “people on different sides can work together for the betterment of HS football” crap!

I believe only socal does. Or maybe it's because they are the top teams?

11 minutes ago, NotBigdaddybloom said:

Could be just the SS, but still looks like a couple of teams get preferred treatment 

The Fox contract is only home games for SS teams.  Although one of the games is home for SJB.  Not sure.  Either ESPN paid Fox some cash (I'm not sure whether the sports channels were part of the Disney purchase of Fox), or Fox simply wasn't going to be ready to showcase a game in that week (or both).

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Cal 14 said:

The Fox contract is only home games for SS teams.  Although one of the games is home for SJB.  Not sure.  Either ESPN paid Fox some cash (I'm not sure whether the sports channels were part of the Disney purchase of Fox), or Fox simply wasn't going to be ready to showcase a game in that week (or both).

My assumption would be that since Disney (owns ESPN) bought Fox & all Fox affiliates, that they are able to show games on ESPN.

I could be wrong but it makes sense. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, mje44 said:

My assumption would be that since Disney (owns ESPN) bought Fox & all Fox affiliates, that they are able to show games on ESPN.

I could be wrong but it makes sense. 

I thought Disney didn’t by fox sports only the movie studio.

On 7/10/2019 at 2:40 PM, Las Vegas_JC said:

https://www.maxpreps.com/m/article.aspx?articleid=0c0a794f-66e9-4b67-8b33-69ae2d3b314f

At least a half-dozen nationally-ranked teams will take the field Aug. 23-25 as part of the 2019 ESPN GEICO High School Football Kickoff.

Games will be available throughout the weekend on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and the ESPN App.

Seventeen of the players expected to participate have already committed to FBS programs. 

Here is the complete schedule (all times Eastern):

Friday, Aug. 23
6 p.m. – Mallard Creek (Charlotte, N.C.) at Dutch Fork (Irmo, S.C.), ESPN2
9:30 p.m. – St. Thomas Aquinas (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) at De La Salle (Concord, Calif.), ESPNU

Saturday, Aug. 24
Noon – St. Frances Academy (Baltimore, Md.) at Central (Miami, Fla.), ESPN
4 p.m. – Deerfield Beach (Fla.) at Carol City (Miami, Fla.), ESPNU
9 p.m. – DeMatha (Hyattsville, Md.) at St. John Bosco (Bellflower, Calif.), ESPN2
11 p.m. – Narbonne (Harbor City, Calif.) at Buchanan (Clovis, Calif.), ESPNU

Sunday, Aug. 25
2 p.m. – Southern Columbia Area (Catawissa, Pa.) at Hammond (Columbia, S.C.)

MaxPreps will release its preseason national rankings July 22 but expect St. Frances Academy-Miami Central to be a battle of Top 10 teams. Aquinas-De La Salle and DeMatha-Bosco will also likely pit nationally-ranked teams against one another.

Sunday's matchup will feature two of the top five senior prospects in the country as No. 1 overall Jordan Burch – a 6-foot-5, 250-pound defensive end – leads Hammond against star wide receiver Julian Fleming of Southern Columbia.

SJR vs JSerra will be on the NFHS network

not like anyone cares

• Haha 2