Who Wins? DLS or STA? (A: STA)

181pl

Who Wins? DLS or STA?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins? DLS or STA?

• De La Salle
    • Saint Thomas Aquinas

1 hour ago, badrouter said:

And when Lakeland beats STA by two touchdowns again they'll be Tier 1 (in reality, maybe not sammyworld)

This is one reason as to why DLS MUST win this game. I'm confident that Coach A. knows that he has a group that can beat STA (knowing how good STA is every year). He wouldn't schedule this game just to get shellacked on national tv again. The kids just have to step up and do it. It's really simple🤣😉

• Like 1

Just now, GardenStateBaller said:

DLS in this one. STAs is winless in its last three, significant OOS games outside the Southeast (DBP, BG, Cen10az). Outscored 61-31 and shutout in last game in AZ. 

Clobbered Dematha 38-0 who would have won the WCAC if not for a miracle Hail Mary. 

Maryland hardly in the Southeast. Unless you are talking about them being the away team. But even so what the hell does losing to a State Champ, a National Champ, and a game that no current coaches or players were involved with have anything to do with 2019? 

Spoiler alert. Nothing 😂

• Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, Pops said:

Why would you say this?  Because Lakeland beat them?

The 2018 DLS team was quite fortunate to beat Folsom, given the fact that Folsom dominated the 1st half but still ended up in a 0-0 tie. They beat a way down BG team at home by 6 points; they beat a 3-loss Clovis Buchanan team by 7; and they were fortunate to lose by only 14 to a Mater Dei team without arguably its best player. There were no wins that stand as particularly impressive for that DLS team. STA, on the other hand, put running clocks on Dematha, who lost by 6 points to St. John's and split with Gonzaga only because Gonzaga hit a miracle hail mary, and Deerfield Beach.

I'd actually argue that the inverse is true: The argument that 2018 DLS was better than 2018 STA is only being made because Lakeland beat STA.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

When Lakeland actually has a Tier 1 team, if that day shall ever come, then the crowd sourced Tiers will consider them

godfather1.gif

The "crowd sourced Tiers" will do exactly as they please, irregardless of how good Lakeland is or is not. There won't be a team in the country that can boast of a more explosive, highly recruited set of offensive skill players in the country. But, the board won't know that because they're too busy studying Ned's numbers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Columbiafan said:

Probably because last year STA team is probably about 10 points better than they will be this year

I’m not as connected to DLS as i used to be but I’d say the same thing about them — they lost some studs (including maybe best  2-way player since late streak)

what I know sitting from afar is that sta has 30 D1s and DLS 2 (as of a couple of weeks ago — I understand DLS May have a couple pending)

What I hang my hat on most about this DLS team is that Alumbaugh scheduled sta — I don’t think he’s a masochist so he must believe DLS can win — or...... he may just want to bloody this team with that sort of talent before Folsom and/ or SBG and doesn’t care THAT much about an L there if he can get the other two 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, badrouter said:

The "crowd sourced Tiers" will do exactly as they please, irregardless of how good Lakeland is or is not. There won't be a team in the country that can boast of a more explosive, highly recruited set of offensive skill players in the country. But, the board won't know that because they're too busy studying Ned's numbers.

I believe Lakeland has a really good team 

that said, wouldn’t you agree that they aren’t keeping up with SOS with pretty much any top 25 team?

if so, is it a mortal sin that any ranking/ rating/ tier sources will begrudge their adoration from Lakeland before others, sometimes even if they don’t run a clean schedule 

If you would have beaten sta the week after dematha you might have got some MNC love 

not necessarily fair, but it’s hard for Publics to get maybe their due all the time, especially until they play someone of note 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pops said:

I believe Lakeland has a really good team 

that said, wouldn’t you agree that they aren’t keeping up with SOS with pretty much any top 25 team?

if so, is it a mortal sin that any ranking/ rating/ tier sources will begrudge their adoration from Lakeland before others, sometimes even if they don’t run a clean schedule 

If you would have beaten sta the week after dematha you might have got some MNC love 

not necessarily fair, but it’s hard for Publics to get maybe their due all the time, especially until they play someone of note 

This coming year does appear to feature a bit of a mismatch between schedule and roster talent. They play several pretty good teams, but nobody figuring to be near elite status. I've heard an ESPN game fell through, and some big names turned them down, but idk. It does appear that there aren't very many nationally known options in the state for them to schedule that aren't already in their class as possible playoff opponents. You have the 3-4 Dade powers, a couple in Broward and...who else? I can't really think of any other FHSAA school they could play, not in 7A, that would get anyone here any more excited than Manatee and Kissimmee Osceola. So that leaves OOS games, and there are a lot of issues, namely $, that make that difficult. But, yes, given how stacked this 2019 team looks to be, I am a bit bummed with the schedule.

My issues haven't been with them not getting MNC votes. The issue has been with them being ranked VERY low or not at all. The issue is the kinds of teams ranked ahead of them, especially in the oft-cited calpreps ratings. Just try and make the argument supporting Lakeland dropping 60+ spots and ending up behind the likes of Coatesville, Corona Del Mar, Nazareth Academy...I could go on.

You can certainly argue, without any gripes from me, that whatever undefeated team wins CA Open game should be ranked ahead of Lakeland regardless of them being undefeated. But, DLS was not that team last season. Lakeland's weaker SOS makes their resume weaker, but does not make the actual team weaker. Meaning STA's loss to them doesn't mean DLS should be elevated over them.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, badrouter said:

This coming year does appear to feature a bit of a mismatch between schedule and roster talent. They play several pretty good teams, but nobody figuring to be near elite status. I've heard an ESPN game fell through, and some big names turned them down, but idk. It does appear that there aren't very many nationally known options in the state for them to schedule that aren't already in their class as possible playoff opponents. You have the 3-4 Dade powers, a couple in Broward and...who else? I can't really think of any other FHSAA school they could play, not in 7A, that would get anyone here any more excited than Manatee and Kissimmee Osceola. So that leaves OOS games, and there are a lot of issues, namely $, that make that difficult. But, yes, given how stacked this 2019 team looks to be, I am a bit bummed with the schedule.

My issues haven't been with them not getting MNC votes. The issue has been with them being ranked VERY low or not at all. The issue is the kinds of teams ranked ahead of them, especially in the oft-cited calpreps ratings. Just try and make the argument supporting Lakeland dropping 60+ spots and ending up behind the likes of Coatesville, Corona Del Mar, Nazareth Academy...I could go on.

You can certainly argue, without any gripes from me, that whatever undefeated team wins CA Open game should be ranked ahead of Lakeland regardless of them being undefeated. But, DLS was not that team last season. Lakeland's weaker SOS makes their resume weaker, but does not make the actual team weaker. Meaning STA's loss to them doesn't mean DLS should be elevated over them.

This is a coherent post.   I agree with most of it.  It’s frustrating for everyone not to be able to vett Lakeland appropriately due to the tomorrow cans on the schedule.

Very similar to the devil.  Could be uberly talented and well coached but need that signature win to get up to the higher Tiers.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, badrouter said:

The 2018 DLS team was quite fortunate to beat Folsom, given the fact that Folsom dominated the 1st half but still ended up in a 0-0 tie. They beat a way down BG team at home by 6 points; they beat a 3-loss Clovis Buchanan team by 7; and they were fortunate to lose by only 14 to a Mater Dei team without arguably its best player. There were no wins that stand as particularly impressive for that DLS team. STA, on the other hand, put running clocks on Dematha, who lost by 6 points to St. John's and split with Gonzaga only because Gonzaga hit a miracle hail mary, and Deerfield Beach.

I'd actually argue that the inverse is true: The argument that 2018 DLS was better than 2018 STA is only being made because Lakeland beat STA.

Dematha I think  lost 5 games last season. SJC had some close calls against teams that weren't so hot either. BG, though not the BG of the 3-peat, was damn good and had the misfortune of opening up against a MD with a new qb and a lot of new pieces. You put that BG in Ga., or NJ last season, I bet you they win those states or at least get close. Dela hyper improved on offense last season, and by year's end they were a legit to 15 team. I don't know where STA finished, but Dela could've played with them.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, badrouter said:

I'm guessing they take a similar stance on IMG as California and Texas does. With Plant in 8A now, maybe they can get a series going.

Maybe if the Hillsborough county AD finally moves into the 21st century and actually allows in state regular season games against FL schools outside of their little bubble

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

This is a coherent post.   I agree with most of it.  It’s frustrating for everyone not to be able to vett Lakeland appropriately due to the tomorrow cans on the schedule.

Very similar to the devil.  Could be uberly talented and well coached but need that signature win to get up to the higher Tiers.

Or a consensus with Consuela, The Stache, The Comish and you...

LOL

There's your crowd sourcing....

BGW

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

21 hours ago, badrouter said:

I'm guessing they take a similar stance on IMG as California and Texas does. With Plant in 8A now, maybe they can get a series going.

That would be fun. They haven't played in the regular season in decades. Mainly the playoffs. 

• Like 1